Balancing BB's in trailer wheels?

Anyone ever tried this with good results? I've ran them for years in my Bronco with GREAT results.

The nearest offroading park is 2hrs from home, so when I go, it'll be quite some time on the road. So I am wondering if it might be beneficial to try to use Airsoft BB's in the trailer tires for balancing. I am considering getting rid of my out-of-round wheels and upgrading to an alloy wheel.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    I just balance my trailer tires... it will make them last longer
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Sure, but the effect is the same with BB's just perhaps doesn't do damage to a nice wheel.

Member #
    Images
    wait.... nice wheels? on a trailer? ...................who does that?
    Proudly un-offended.

I know it. But I gotta do something and I sure like the look of nice wheels! I'm looking at some that are $100-$117 ea. Not horrible.

Member #
    Images
    man..... sitting here thinking about it, it might not be horrible, but at low speeds they wont balance out at all. And trailer tires are much more likely to flat spots, which with normal weights might just be annoying, but with bb's could be rediculous
    hookers and blow!

Having run them in my bronco, the only time I feel it out of balance is when my one tire that leaks is low and flat spots. Other than that, it's smooth. seems the centrifugal force pushes the BB's to the wall of the tire quite early (say 20 mph), so if you feel an imbalance at that speed - you have bigger issues.

If I pull the trigger on new wheels, I'll try it and report back.

Member #
    Images
    I guess I was meaning that I don't see any draw back to doing it...

but they can do the tap on weights to that don't damage the wheels... if they clear the breaks...

Member #
    Images
    Out of rounds wheels or out of round tires?

I've been told it's wheels, although I haven't seen myself. But they described that you could watch the wheel bobble when you watched the beadseat spin around.

Member #
    Images
    I run them in my TJ and love them. I assume they would work good in a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

I run airsoft BBs in my bias ply Swampers. If any tire flat spots, it's those! I really haven't noticed any issues with flat spots and the BBs; they seem to either smooth right out quickly or the BBs counter act the flat spots. Either way, I'd do it!
    '96 Grand Cherokee with stuff done to it.

Well my opinion on this is different- I wouldn't do it. (And I've run BB's in all my big tires and loved them).

Balancing BB's are beneficial for 2 reasons-

1. Large tires often require considerable weight to balance, and sometimes there just isn't enough real estate on the rim for traditional lead weights. BB's put the balance weight out farther from the center, making them more effective (read less overall balance weight required).

2. BB's are a dynamic balance system- meaning if you tear off a lug on the tire, drastically change air pressure, etc- the tires will still be in balance.

Since neither of these apply- I'm not sure you will see any benefit. A bent wheel will always hop because you have effectively made the wheel and tire combo out of round. You can sometimes get enough weight on there to get it pretty close on a tire machine (in my experience, the machine keeps telling you to add weight in weird spots if a wheel is bent), but going down the road- the thing is out of round and will hop.

Trailer wheels have gotten really affordable lately- might be time for a new set of wheels.
    If you cross thread a bolt, there is no need for loctite.

Run whatcha brung... And hope you brought enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    I am considering getting rid of my out-of-round wheels and upgrading to an alloy wheel.
    Post #1

What I'm trying to do it keep any new wheel nice by not clamping on wheel weights. Additionally, by your logic there is no reason NOT to try...

But I'm afraid my bronco needs a new gas tank before I replace something that still works.

I read so well...

Maybe have them static balance them with stick on weights?

Member #
    Images
    x2 two on the stick on weights... just need to make sure they clear the brake drum.