Red Cone 10/1/17

Sean, Gary, and I did Red Cone on Saturday. This was the first time that I've driven down the southern side of Red Cone. It was slippery getting to the top and pretty icy at the top. We weren't sure what the trail would be like on the steep hill down to Webster. There were tire tracks in the snow going down the north side but it was getting colder and the snow was starting to refreeze so we turned around at the top. A few pics:

edit: This should have been it Trip Reports. Would one of the mods please move it.
    Last edited by SamFromCO; October 2nd, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
    I started with nothing, and I've got most of it left.

Thanks for the report! Good choice not going down the hill with the snow. I like the sign, "when free of snow"
    Red 1st gen 4Runner

Member #
    Images
    I would like to have gone down the hill. Looks like perfect conditions for just the right amount of risk!
    " Every soul deserves a shot at a Cadillac, but not everyone should be guaranteed a Cadillac". Ben Stein

Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    I would like to have gone down the hill. Looks like perfect conditions for just the right amount of risk!
    You are braver than I sir.

Vb, wish you were there. I would have been OK being the SECOND one down. (Of course, that would depend on how you did)

Member #
    Images
    Theres plenty of shut down area at the bottom... Hit the gas and dont use any brake!

Member #
    Images
    Back in the old days i used to drive up that hill from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    Back in the old days i used to drive up that hill from time to time
    Maybe it's just that I have a bad memory but it seems like Red Cone was somehow steeper in the "old days". It's like they've rounded off some the high spots and made it a little less steep in parts. Or possibly it's just the high spots have worn down.
    A long time ago we sat on Webster Pass and watched a Jeep try to make it up the "wrong way". We were sure that it was going to go over the side.

Member #
    Images
    I did the "wrong way" in a 62 cj5 on 33s several times