Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Images

This year's solar eclipse

Anyone going to find their way into the path of this year's total solar eclipse? I think wife and I are going to find our way early to some remote BLM land to camp and catch it.

Member #
    Images
    We will be camping in Idaho for this! Our friends are getting married on that day when everything is happening, should be fun!
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

heading up to Wyoming, somewhere around Glendo (path of totality crosses over the middle of the reservoir). Figure I'll leave extra early on Monday morning and beat the crowds out of Denver, although I expect it to be a zoo no matter what. I'm scouting out a few spots that are off the beaten path within a few miles of I-25, depending on where the crowds are. Here's the best website to figure out where to go...

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages...leMapFull.html
    Jeff Mason
    99 Isuzu Amigo.

Member #
    Images
    So, is there a map showing the total area of the eclipse, including the partial coverage?? I am curious how much you will be able to see further south?
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Images
    We're looking at eastern WY/western NE to get as far away from I25 as reasonable. It's the only path for everyone from NM to MT so I expect it'll be a maddening road to travel. I80 is only going to compound that crowded hell that much more and a good few hours distance off that is likely needed too. Going a few days early and coming back on Wed is also going to help.

Another thing is to camp an hour out of the path and just drive into it on any lonely country road/highway may be the thing to do. An hour's drive in the middle of the day is not much trouble for something as spectacular as this event.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    So, is there a map showing the total area of the eclipse, including the partial coverage?? I am curious how much you will be able to see further south?
    Here's the one I'm looking at. It gives time in local time not UT to be converted (some might know this by memory but not me).

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2017-august-21#

Member #
    Images
    Nevermind, if i would pay attention the link Jeff attached does the partial calculation as well.

93% in the north part of Denver.

Member #
    Images
    This is another place to see times and coverage.

From here. https://www.space.com/33797-total-so...017-guide.html
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    We're looking at eastern WY/western NE to get as far away from I25 as reasonable. It's the only path for everyone from NM to MT so I expect it'll be a maddening road to travel. I80 is only going to compound that crowded hell that much more and a good few hours distance off that is likely needed too. Going a few days early and coming back on Wed is also going to help.

Another thing is to camp an hour out of the path and just drive into it on any lonely country road/highway may be the thing to do. An hour's drive in the middle of the day is not much trouble for something as spectacular as this event.
    I was looking at the area around Agate Fossil Beds National Monument in Western Nebraska. The website for Agate Fossil already has warnings about traffic, etc. I might rethink and go farther west into Wyoming - maybe along State Highway 159, just west of the WY/NE border. Looks fairly desolate.
    Last edited by Jeff Mason; August 1st, 2017 at 11:24 AM.

Member #
    Images
    Surprised how little BLM NE has so we're thinking over in WY north of Douglas or Lust somewhere. Or between Buffalo and Gillette. But we got the time to camp so we can get there long before others and leave after they've all had time to get home.

My co-worker is organizing a 4-day motorcycle ride up to Grand Teton, with a place to stay, and back home. I wish I had time to go on that...

Member #
    Headed up to WY at the crack of dawn with the camera gear. Hoping to come away with something decent.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mason View Post
    My co-worker is organizing a 4-day motorcycle ride up to Grand Teton, with a place to stay, and back home. I wish I had time to go on that...
    Me too, hell I wish I had the time and knew the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rubbersidedown View Post
    Headed up to WY at the crack of dawn with the camera gear. Hoping to come away with something decent.
    Looking forward to your pictars.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    Frickin awesome!

Member #
    Images
    Looks like I may have been caught unprepared. Need to find someplace to get a pair of shades/glasses to watch it happen and not just the small time of total eclipse. Suggestions welcomed!

Member #
    I just ordered a cheap pair of plastic ones from Amazon. There are more than a few options. . .

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2QEW4BJTEUSNR

Member #
    Images
    Been all over Amazon and trusted mfrs have "ships in 1 to 2 months" and others say "back in stock August 12" type disclaimers. Might be missing one but spent 30+ minutes looking and found nothing I have any confidence will get here in time.

Member #
    Looks like B&H has a few cheapies in stock. .

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/s...148337?sts=cat

Member #
    Images
    Just take your welding helmet
    Contact me for all your firearms needs. Guns, ammo, accessories, NFA......

Member #
    Images
    Yay for a smart wife. Got quality (American Paper Optics) ones from the library...FREE!

Thought about welding helmet but read this morning that they may not actually be rated for continual safe viewing of the sun. I found a NASA site that indicates it is safe to do so with no less than a #14 lens. Oh well, got my glasses to take now.

Member #
    Images
    #14 is a little dark for most Mig type helmets i think.... if you had an old Arc helmet, or HF, i am sure it would be fine.

I picked up a few #14 lenses for $1.93 each from the local welding shop. I tried my #10 fixed hood but it wasn't dark enough and my auto that goes to 13 wasn't triggered by the sun. The #10 plus the #5 plasma glasses worked.

Member #
    Images
    I saw a bunch of paper glasses at Lowe's the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Saw a few news story over the last week, making it seem like trying to get out of Denver on the 21st may be challenging. Ugh. It's probably the MSM drumming up more crapola, but who knows. In any case, it looks like I switching from the MC (200 mile range) to the 4Runner (480 mile range and AC) and will take my wife along for the ride. Still trying to find someplace good in the East side of Wyoming or West side of Nebraska to head towards...

Member #
    Images
    Hell, trying to get out of denver on a good day sucks, can't imagine the clusterfook leading up to an event like the eclipse.

Member #
    Images
    the entertaining part is that it is still 90% coverage even in denver, so unless you want to see the total eclipse part, you can just get some glasses and look up.

the entertaining part is that it is still 90% coverage even in denver, so unless you want to see the total eclipse part, you can just get some glasses and look up.
    But then I would have to go back inside and finish working for the day. Now I can sit in traffic for hours and hours, but not be at work

Member #
    I am totally prepared for it to be a complete shit-show getting in and out of Denver! Just wish I would have thought to book a hotel or camp spot months ago! Hotels are raping people for the cost of a hotel! (if you can find one!)

Member #
    Images
    One of the Facebook buy and sell groups I am in has a few people offering tent and camper sites on private land.

I only need to drive 40 min. south to be in the totality...so I am trying to decide if I should take my son out of 2nd grade, or will they have some cooler things to see it with, if only a partial eclipse.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    I only need to drive 40 min. south to be in the totality...so I am trying to decide if I should take my son out of 2nd grade, or will they have some cooler things to see it with, if only a partial eclipse.
    being a kid that went through an eclipse in the mid 90's ( i can't tell you what it was) we made paper cameras and had like 3 pairs of glasses to share while it was going on.

Take him out of school, even if you don't go anywhere, why miss the moment?

That's the way I'm leaning. I think he'd love it! Not sure if my wife is going to try to skip work or not either...

Member #
    Images
    I also vote to take him out and go.

Member #
    Images
    Got a friend with 40 acres just outside Douglas, Wyoming. Going to head up there with the camper for a few days and take it all in.

Member #
    Stupid eclipse....i don't need anything taking away my sweet, sweet summatime sunshine.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Getting deep in here Hardcor4x4's Avatar
    Member #
    Hope those who are going to photograph it got their solar filters already. I got mine couple weeks ago and I just looked again and holy chit mang, talk about price gauging going on now for solar filters at Amazon, BH photo and Adoroma. Most say out of stock though. The solar filter I got off amazon a couple weeks ago is now 6 times more in price. I thought about getting 2 ND 10 stop filters and stacking them but what would I do with 2 ten stop filters that only fit my telephoto lens? I see lots of people had my idea though and there's not many decent 10 stop ND filters left in stock. I'm not looking to take professional shots with my setup but just something that looks good. The solar film filter I got will do the job.

Member #
    Got my 16 stop filter in the mail last week.

Member #
    Images
    the difference is all the difference. a 90%er just seems like a really cloudy day. If you're inside, you might not even realize it's NOT just clouds. Few people get through life without being in a partial eclipse. Unless there's totality nearby, most people don't even think about it at all. I'm the geek who goes out and makes a pinhole projector just to catch even the little knicks out of the edge of the sun. Totality is an entirely different thing. I'd dearly like to watch from a mountaintop, but I've avoided settling on a location,as I would probably die if I were stuck under overcast.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I say some stupid sh!t here.

Member #
    Images
    being a kid that went through an eclipse in the mid 90's ( i can't tell you what it was) we made paper cameras and had like 3 pairs of glasses to share while it was going on.

Take him out of school, even if you don't go anywhere, why miss the moment?
    Take him out of school and go. I've been waiting for this, actively and specifically, for about 44 years. Don't make him wait. There is nothing - no device that can show anything more of an eclipse in real time showing anything you can't see with your eyes (and protection) that you can't watch the recording of. If you're going to watch the screen of some instrument instead of the sun and moon themselves, you might as well stay home and watch it on TV.