Member #
    Images

ATV Registration?

Picked up a used atv. 99% of the time it will not leave my property. If I choose to bring it with me when I go RVing, it will need some sort of registration. Never owned anything like this before and not sure of the process. Checked the websites, but each seems to refer to the other, a bit confusing. Do I need to plate it with the state or just register it OHV with Parks? What is the correct process?
    Proudly un-offended.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    Picked up a used atv. 99% of the time it will not leave my property. If I choose to bring it with me when I go RVing, it will need some sort of registration. Never owned anything like this before and not sure of the process. Checked the websites, but each seems to refer to the other, a bit confusing. Do I need to plate it with the state or just register it OHV with Parks? What is the correct process?
    Plate would be a street legal thing. You just need a Colorado annual OHV permit. Same thing applies to plated vehicles in some areas actually - permit required now. They're getting stricter on it since it's been a thing for a few years.

http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Page...ationsOHV.aspx

Member #
    Images
    OHV sticker is what you need.

I have a plated dirt bike. I was stopped by Forest service and told that I need an OHV tag in addition to my plate. I have no issues paying for the tag since the money goes directly to the trails and the people that maintain them. I would not be surprised if some of our trucks are supposed to have OHV tags as well.

94 Toyota Pickup, 4" Marlin, duals, e-lockers...
    I used to own a jeep...
    Click! for cheap York clutch!

Member #
    Images
    Got the Temp Tag for the sticker. The Parks website is pretty mixed up. One place says to fill out the form and include a check and mail it in or drop off at this list of places. Elsewhere you find directions to go to a local agent to get your OHV, and the list is all different from the other one. I took all my paper work into the local bike shop on the list and the guys there took good care of me. Proofed my ownership doc, gave me a form to fill out (which is different from the one on the Parks website btw...) took my $25.25 and handed me back my 60 day temp. They did say it takes forever to get your sticker, like 90 days or so. I mentioned the Parks website said 2 to 4 weeks and all the guys behind the parts desk busted out laughing.

I am glad I went into the shop to do the paperwork. If i had mailed in my stuff, I wouldn't have the temp tag to keep with the ATV. Which means it would have been grounded to the property for 3 or so months until I got the sticker. Stupid state agency. Cant even get their own shite straight on the info webpage.

I got stopped one time riding after mailing in money and paperwork. Ranger didnt give me a ticket even after i asked him to just to get him to shut up and stop lecturing me that i needed it and should have not road the bike until i recieved it back them. It did take 3 months for a mid season mail in, but renewals are pretty quick.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    Got the Temp Tag for the sticker. The Parks website is pretty mixed up. One place says to fill out the form and include a check and mail it in or drop off at this list of places. Elsewhere you find directions to go to a local agent to get your OHV, and the list is all different from the other one. I took all my paper work into the local bike shop on the list and the guys there took good care of me. Proofed my ownership doc, gave me a form to fill out (which is different from the one on the Parks website btw...) took my $25.25 and handed me back my 60 day temp. They did say it takes forever to get your sticker, like 90 days or so. I mentioned the Parks website said 2 to 4 weeks and all the guys behind the parts desk busted out laughing.

I am glad I went into the shop to do the paperwork. If i had mailed in my stuff, I wouldn't have the temp tag to keep with the ATV. Which means it would have been grounded to the property for 3 or so months until I got the sticker. Stupid state agency. Cant even get their own shite straight on the info webpage.
    Yeah, they really don't have it together when it comes to those requirements. I had Feds on BLM land ask about the sticker, but it turned out they had no idea what the stickers looked like - so I had to educate them. You will still get the temp paperwork if you buy online, but no sticker, just valid paperwork. And yes, I've heard that they're WAY backed up (again, no idea what they're doing).

It's a pain. I have no problem paying the $25/year/vehicle, I just wish they'd sort it out. I technically have the wrong stickers for my two plated vehicles. I guess that NOW (not when I got mine a few years ago) there's a non-plated sticker and a plated sticker. I have the non-plated ones. Whatever, it costs the same and I can't see them busting me for it. I did originally get mine by going into a powersports dealer (Fay Myers), but that was before the whole proof of ownership crap was required.