Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images

Things NOT to do with a bad back... Home Improvement (The Fence Chronicles)

My decrepit old fence just didn't want to stay together anymore, but it's the only thing holding in my beloved pup, so I decided to tear down the old and replace with new. Over the past 10 years I have owned the property, I had always had a vision of what I wanted the new fence to be. I wanted to use metal posts and framework, then use cedar boards and pickets to make up fence panels. This would allow for the fence to be easily repaired and maintained over the long lifespan ht metal offered. I originally had envisioned using T&G pickets to get a gap-less look, but quickly changed my mind once I started pricing materials.

Here is the subject in question. Big, blue, falling apart, and completely hideous:

I ordered materials and once they arrived, I got to work removing the old fence, all 131 linear feet worth. The metal:

The wood:

The concrete:

Demo'ed:

Then started cutting the existing concrete curbing and digging for the 15 new posts:

Frost depth is 30" in Longmont, so I made sure to be well below that with each hole:

Member #
    Images
    Back filled the bottom of the holes with gravel and then set a sonic tube in place and back filled that into place:

And started setting posts, and as you can see each post was completely coated before going into the ground:

Once the posts were cured, I poured in the replacement sections of curbing:

Last edited by Aaron; June 3rd, 2017 at 01:05 AM.

Member #
    Images
    Started trimming down the posts and welding in the top rail:

The front center of the fence has some HUGE tree roots that I didn't want to mess with, so I fabbed up a floating center post for it. Started by pouring a concrete footer:

Then made a base plate and set it into the concrete block:

Last edited by Aaron; June 3rd, 2017 at 01:01 AM.

Member #
    Images
    Started staining/sealing the wood and priming the fence:

And coated the fence before the rain hit:

Member #
    Images
    With the rains gone I was able to weld in the center, floating post:

Then got to work setting the post closest to the house, which will hold the gate latch assembly:

Member #
    Images
    With the majority of the metal fab completed, I turned my attention back to the wood. I cut all the cross boards to length and the counter bored and drilled holes for the hardware:

Then stained all the fresh areas, yes even in the bolts holes:

And added the carriage bolts. These will allow me to hide them under the pickets for a cleaner look, while allowing for one handed tightening and loosening of each panel:

Then started hanging the cross boards, 2x6's for the bottoms and 2x4's for the rest:

Member #
    Images
    Hardware soon to be hidden:

Trimmed all the hardware as flush as possible to help reduce the risk of anything snagging on them:

And finished installing the majority of the cross boards, leaving only a few sections open for easier access while putting up pickets:

Member #
    Images
    Very nice.....

But, dont stop there!

Notice that the only person shown working in these photos is NOT Aaron?

Just sayin....
    Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

Member #
    Images
    I almost told him that he looked like a girl

Looking good so far but you are leaving us hanging...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    Notice that the only person shown working in these photos is NOT Aaron?

Just sayin....
    Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    I almost told him that he looked like a girl
    You all are harsh, I love it! It's hard to take a selfie while actually getting work done... Although, if you look at the first photo in post #5, you will see my fat ass welding:

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Member #
    Images
    This project has taken me a bit. At the start of this project I ended up rupturing the same disc in my back as I did two years ago. I was down and out for about two months. I got help from a bunch of different people to help me try to complete it. They did things like helped finish digging the holes and mixing concrete and going to the landfill for me. I am continuing to work through the pain, but at a much slower pace. Trying to avoid another surgery as they will want to do a fusion. And that is something I do not want. I am doing a ton better thanks to PT and drugs. And it's looking like I may be able to avoid surgery since my body is actually healing itself. Here's to hoping!

I am doing a ton better thanks to PT and drugs.

Better living through chemistry, I always say....

Back issues suck! Hope you're better by the start of Broncos season!

Member #
    Images
    With the majority of the cross boards up, I tried to convince my wife that the horse fencing was good enough. But alas, she loves our pup too much for me to stop there. So I did the next best thing and invited over a few friends for a picket party (think blanket party, except everyone attending gets beaten instead ). Since each picket needed to be cut down to length, I broke mostly everyone up into 3 groups. Each group had a guy to measure, one to cut, and one to install. And then I had the wives who showed up, be our staining crew. Worked awesome, almost like I run crews for a living ;-)

Putting up pickets:

View from the neighbor's yard, yes he gets the "good" side:

Front done except for gate:

Then I closed in the gate with a temp barricade until I could get the gate made. But at least my dog gets his backyard back:

Last edited by Aaron; June 3rd, 2017 at 07:37 PM.

That's awesome! Looks great!

Member #
    Images
    Where did you post the invite fer the Pickett party?

Why'd ya give the neighbor the purdy side? Looks real nice.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    Why'd ya give the neighbor the purdy side? Looks real nice.
    Some believe that is the proper fence etiquette. Some believe that it adds more curb appeal and thus is more valuable to the home. I just believe that it will be harder to scale without footholds, and no one will be able to just unbolt a section and push it inward.

Member #
    Images
    Finished up the front gate to the fence. Made it extra wide to make getting equipment in and out of the backyard easier. And tried to add a little touch to it without going too overboard. Have to admit the gate came out heavy, but with the greaseable hinges used, and getting them perfectly aligned, it almost feels weightless as it swings open and closed. The hardware will be trimmed down like the rest of the fence, which will allow the gate to swing open and sit flush against the fence. This will make propping it open a breeze.

Hinges:

Gate from front:

From the back:

Just need to do a little more yard work and throw away that dead stump, then start replacing the front chain link. But for now I am happy.

Before:

After:

Member #
    Images
    Very very very well done!

Thanks fer taking the time to post!

Member #
    Very nice, love the fence.
    2007 Tundra TRD, 2001 Taco ExtendedCab TRD, 2014 Rav4

I've had your Jeep thing...Now it burns when I pee.

Member #
    Images
    Wow that came out really nice Aaron!! that makes my new fence look like poop!
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Member #
    Images
    Thanks for the kind words.

Spent the past few weekends since I finished the fence, cleaning up the yards and flowerbeds, spreading grass seed, watering, and mowing. Gotta say having a functioning front gate again is awesome! Trying to add a little, MUCH NEEDED, curb appeal. Hoping this will be the year we find our new property, so we can sell this place.
    Last edited by Aaron; June 5th, 2017 at 12:18 PM.

Member #
    Images
    Ok, since I am getting ready to do my fence, how much did you spend in materials doing the steel and everything out of curiosity?
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    Ok, since I am getting ready to do my fence, how much did you spend in materials doing the steel and everything out of curiosity?
    Doing it completely out of wood in the same style would have saved me less than $400. But keep in mind that I am a contractor and do metalwork for a living. My costs are probably lower than some dude off the street. And I own almost every tool and piece of equipment I used (ended up renting auger). Where the metalwork gets you is in the labor. Lots of time to weld, sand, and finish all that. But if you can do it all yourself, and have the available time, no worries.

The best priced quote from a "reputable" company that I received to do the entire fence and gates (131 linear feet with two gates) out of just wood, with a 6' tall privacy standard design, was just over $6200 (just under $50 per linear foot). And that did not include any stain or labor to stain. They wanted 1.5-2 weeks to complete.

If you asked me to quote out a replica of my own fence I just finished, I would say between $75-80 a linear foot, installed and coated, depending on city codes and fees.
    Last edited by Aaron; June 5th, 2017 at 02:59 PM.

holy cow! that is amazing
    Metalhed
    Rock on Dude

Member #
    The mountain scene is a nice touch.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Looks really nice, damn fine job.

Member #
    Images
    Thank you all for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    The mountain scene is a nice touch.
    Do you like the "frosted" tips, or you think it needs to be all black?

Member #
    Ay-Ay-Ron! I gotta tell you that's one of the coolest fences I've ever seen. The whole idea and detailed engineering is very impressive. I really dig the use of metal like that and the attention to detail. The black with the dark stained wood looks great. Looking at either side is a win/win.

Also glad to see you got your siding done

Thank you all for the kind words!

Do you like the "frosted" tips, or you think it needs to be all black?
    I like the frosted tips... Thought it was a nice touch.

I like the frosted tips. That makes the whole thing kinda pop when you see it from a distance to me.

As usual, your craftsmanship is superb, Aaron. I've always been a fan of the wood/steel combination. I built a cedar privacy fence when we got our dog back in September but am just amazed at the level of detail and great finishing touches you incorporated here. Its really beautiful.
    2001 2.5L TJ, HPD30/D44 with dual OX and 4.88, full armor, X20-8 winch, 35" STTs on TMI beadlocks, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, 4.5" suspension w/ fully adjustable control arms and tie rod upgrade, OBA, Novak Shifter, PS hood louver, Teraflex ESS SYE, UCF UHC tummy tuck, Adams Driveshaft

Member #
    Images
    Thanks for again for the kind words.

I thought the frosted tips would be neat, and then I did them and was worried it pushed the mountain scene from a subtle finishing touch to gaudy. And my wife didn't like them at first, which made me question the decision even more. Now we seem to go back and forth on it, depending on the day. But not enough for me to go paint over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    Also glad to see you got your siding done
    Lol, whoops. I didn't take any before photos and was using some from previous projects. Guess I didn't screen them well enough.

Member #
    That looks great. Nice job, but I bet you worked your butt off. What no gun turrets?
    Pilot

"Have a little faith baby. Have a little faith."
    Oddball - "Kelly's Heroes"

Some believe that is the proper fence etiquette. Some believe that it adds more curb appeal and thus is more valuable to the home. I just believe that it will be harder to scale without footholds, and no one will be able to just unbolt a section and push it inward.
    Makes sense all the way around. Great job.

Very good work and if the offroad fab thing doesn't work out.... ;-)

I do like the idea of not seeing that part from the outside to add curb appeal but I think the inside is just as nice!! Did you install beer holders near the BBQ?
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Great job. Simply awesome.
    [SIZE=4]I don't even own a Jeep, oh wait I do and it is sick! [/SIZE]:P
    [URL]http://www.factcheck.org/[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.staythetrail.org"]
    [/URL]

Member #
    Images
    Looks great Aaron

Member #
    Images
    Thanks for all the kind words!

Anyone want to buy or know of someone who wants to buy this place?
    3 bed, 1.5 bath house with a decent sized shop that has an office and 1/2 bath? Downtown Longmont.
    Willing to sell under current appraised value since we know it still needs some work. and want to sell quickly.

Think we finally found another property, closer to Denver, with more land, that my wife and I can both agree upon, and can barely afford.