Thread: indecision

indecision

So, I have been bouncing back and forth trying to decide what to do with my rig. Here is the situation. I used to have a exo'ed trruggy on 40's 1tons, atlas ....... and loved being able to run CG in BV , Cg boulder , montrose, whithout fear of body damage and roll overs. Now, I am getting to the point where the 4Runner is getting to where it can run these trails having 1ton, crawly t-case, going to 40's next year and ORI struts on order. However, the body is in darn good shape with hardly a dent on it and no cage besides the factory squash bar, but it sits too high (which will be corrected when I get the ORI's) and roll center height is a bit high. Debating exo cage which would provide some degree of protection to the body or internal which would not but keep me and the dogs somewhat secure from a rollover. To me, exo's on 4runners look kinda goofy. I just cant bring myself yet to cutting in to the body of this thing other than cutting out some rear fender for clearance last year. I guess it comes down to, I feel like a wuss not going over what my friends go over out of fear of major damage and rolling over and getting the famous toyota roof pancake.

Not asking to have my mind made up by anyone but would like some input. Oh,, the blankets on the rig are some protection for that huge hail we seem to get here!
    Last edited by Nimbus; May 19th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
    Red 1st gen 4Runner

Member #
    Images
    how about pulling the body and selling it and then getting a F-toy chassis to put on it? you can still have 4 seats if you need and if you really wanted to you can still make it drive-able on the road...

I pulled the body off my jeep and tube it out and its been the best thing ive done
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

That f chassis is really Nice! I have heard of it but never looked in to it. I know this throws another variable in the equation but currently I have memory foam in the back and the rear seats taken out primarily for camping and the dogs, but man that chassis is very very tempting. Thanks for the lead on that !

Member #
    Images
    Ya no problem man! That chassis should give you all the space needed to bring camp gear and dog!

Here is what I did in the back of mine, it's got space for my two dogs or camp gear

Member #
    Images
    And they seam to hold up well

Very nice. I think I am headed that direction.

All I have to add is yes, that thing is really high!

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    All I have to add is yes, that thing is really high!
    But it's great for camping underneath it!! It actually sat fairly level with the hard top on it. As soon as I put the soft top on it raised up like a stink bug. The coils are so soft that both my dogs in the back will sit that thing level. Believe it or not but my Anti Squat is 100.75, Roll Axis Angle 0.77 (here's the kicker) Roll center height 19.94.

But I digress, Have ORI's on order (backordered till july 12th) and those will give me way more flexibility in suspension adjustment. I will say, oddly enough even without sway bar it feels really stable.
    Last edited by Nimbus; May 20th, 2017 at 07:41 AM.

I like this look as well.