Edjumicate me on JK's (Also, YJ soon to be for sale...)

Alright, crew, here goes: Back in 2012, wife had to sell her beloved Suzuki Intruder street bike because she couldn't ride anymore due to a painful ankle injury. She used the money to buy a 1995 Wrangler YJ with the 2.5, 5 speed and (believe it or not!) manual steering.

She had a lot of fun with the Jeep over the past 5 years but we've come to realize we just don't use it that much now that we are going camping every weekend (just about), and we see no need to keep it around. So it will be up for sale soon (PM me if you want details.)

However, she still loves the idea of having a jeep. Right now her DD is a Honda CRV (BOR-ing!) which she got because it has AWD and can seat passengers (in case we get an opportunity to take the grandkids somewhere.)

However, with my DD being a Pathfinder and also having the Suburban as our tow vehicle (which the wife is perfectly comfortable driving) it occurs to us that she doesn't really need a 4 door car for daily driving - if she gets the opportunity to go somewhere with the grandkids she can either take the Suburban or the Pathfinder. Which means that we can sell the Jeep, sell her CR-V and get her a much newer, more comfortable Jeep like a late model JK (the YJ was nice but being a 22 year old vehicle it wasn't something that was fun to drive every day.)

Thing is, I don't really know much about the JK jeeps. I know they have a V6 instead of the old reliable 4.0 I-6 that the YJ and TJ had, but beyond that I don't know if there are certain model years to avoid or to seek out. I've heard the earlier V-6's had some problems but I don't know the specifics.

Ideally what I think she'd like to find would be something like a 2 door with a V6 and automatic (just to make it easier on her to drive every day, though a manual would probably not be a deal breaker - if it were mine I'd definitely want a manual but it's not mine) and the modular/removable hard top. As a rule I generally avoid the first year of any new "generation" of vehicle so I'd be looking at a 2008+ model. Beyond that I think the only requirements would probably be a good heater and AC and that it be in generally decent shape. Would like to stay around $15k and from what I've seen that shouldn't be too difficult.

We would most likely not "modify" this Jeep although a slight lift and/or bigger tires would not be out of the question. In terms of capability, I'd say trails on the order of Mosquito Pass or Red Cone would be the most difficult trails we'd contemplate doing.

So thanks in advance for any JK wisdom from the group.
    Martin (AKA Zapp Branigan) KillBot (Retired)
    "I am the Man With No Name - Zapp Branigan!"
    2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT

Get one that is 2012+, the 3.6 Pentastar is WAY, WAY better than the 3.8 that was from 2007-11.
    A 2" budget boost will fit 33's and with a little trimming of the flares 35's.
    I have a 2013 on tons and 37 or 39's and drive it all over the Western United States, no issues.

Make sure that the ball joints, steering are "tight" they can get some nasty death wobble.
    If you do lift you will want to address all the computers. there are various calibrating options out there
    I use the AEV ProCal, as on my set up I use a Rubicon t-case in a different platform.
    I bought a pretty "bare bones" 4 door, as I knew I would remove everything axle/suspension wise.
    Good luck!
    [SIZE=4]I don't even own a Jeep, oh wait I do and it is sick! [/SIZE]:P
    [URL]http://www.factcheck.org/[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.staythetrail.org"]
    [/URL]

2007-2011 3.8L 12 valve engine. 2012+ 3.6L 24 valve engine...
    The benefits from MILSPEC requirements are priceless!

Any known automatic transmission issues? Just want to know if I can talk her into getting the 6 speed.....

Details on the Jeep? 🙂

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    break, fix, repeat

Member #
    Images
    My wife and I bought one last summer with the 3.6 and automatic. It is an incredibly comfortable vehicle and truthfully, I see absolutely no drawback to having an automatic over a manual. I am not aware of any issues with the automatic. And I gotta tell you, that 3.6 gets with it! Even with the four door Unlimited, the power of that little motor is downright impressive! Jeeps have come a really long way since your old trusty YJ. Drive one and you'll understand their popularity. And like others have already said, go with a 12 or newer for the 3.6 over the old 3.8.
    The Lemonator
    Jeepnut Extrordinaire

Member #
    Images
    Earlier autos had a tendency to overheat, not sure if the newer ones do. Adding a second small tranny cooler fixes the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

This is a pre 2012 "issue".
    One thing I don't like on my 2013 transmission is the high shift points, I find myself manually shifting a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by newracer View Post
    Earlier autos had a tendency to overheat, not sure if the newer ones do. Adding a second small tranny cooler fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Details on the Jeep? 🙂

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    PM sent.

I think there's a similar thread on here about a year ago when Pam and I got a JKU. It's still stock though. 😢

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    www.staythetrail.org

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
    Any known automatic transmission issues? Just want to know if I can talk her into getting the 6 speed.....
    The WA580 behind the 3.6s is a really good auto, while the manuals are pretty average. Sorry.

We like ours (14 JKURX, still with only 8500 miles on it), but it's my first, and likely last, Chrysler. Crappiness abounds, though, as the only solid axle game in town, resale on these things is stupid high. Good luck finding one for $15k.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    ''Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.'' - Plato

Member #
    Images
    As I understand it, the new model comes out this fall. Might be worth waiting for. Based on Scaldeddog's comment, sounds like the JK was a bad idea. I've never driven anything as nice and reliable as my '05 TJ, but if I have to retire it, I hope the new version is back to that former glory.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I say some stupid sh!t here.

I "think" it gets launched at SEMA, and FCA (so far) isn't letting the aftermarket get their hands on one yet. They want to create a YUUUGE buzz at their booth this year. As a guy who has been around the JK platform since 2007, it is great but all the "computers" and "sensors" really makes it a PITA.
    My next Jeep will be a TJ Unlimited just to goof around in. A JKU on tons and big tires, just crawls over everything... not a bad thing just different.

Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    As I understand it, the new model comes out this fall. Might be worth waiting for. Based on Scaldeddog's comment, sounds like the JK was a bad idea. I've never driven anything as nice and reliable as my '05 TJ, but if I have to retire it, I hope the new version is back to that former glory.

I would never buy anything the first year that it comes out - especially from ChryCo or FCA or whatever they're calling themselves these days.

I'd rather let someone else become the beta testers

This post also reminded me of another conversation I had about the next Gen Jeep, the JL.
    From what I understand the first 6 months will be "pre" .gov sensors and the like. Think crash alert system etc.
    So all the manufacturers are going to scramble to get one so they can start figuring suspensions, and if you are a bumper manufacturer it will sure be interesting too, will you need to dangle down some sensors to comply or what will the hack be!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
    I would never buy anything the first year that it comes out - especially from ChryCo or FCA or whatever they're calling themselves these days.

I'd rather let someone else become the beta testers

Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    I don't want to overstate my irritation, as we still own the thing, and I actually like driving it. They just have a lot of goofy issues: Radiators leak on the driver's side, thermostat housings leak, the fan doesn't come on 'till 225*, so they run stupid hot - like 250* and go into limp mode - if you don't watch the temps. I set my TD2 to alarm at 230* so I don't have to stare at the thing all the time.

I wheeled Rusty Nail with a guy from the board a couple of weeks ago, and his 15 JKUR did great. The rear locker was stuck locked for the rest of the trip, though, which is apparently common. [sigh]

Mark

A rear locked locker is often from a bent housing (edit more likely a bent axle actually, the rears are "tougher" to bend) from what I have heard...
    And I have a small coolant leak, what a PITA....

Quote Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
    I don't want to overstate my irritation, as we still own the thing, and I actually like driving it. They just have a lot of goofy issues: Radiators leak on the driver's side, thermostat housings leak, the fan doesn't come on 'till 225*, so they run stupid hot - like 250* and go into limp mode - if you don't watch the temps. I set my TD2 to alarm at 230* so I don't have to stare at the thing all the time.

I wheeled Rusty Nail with a guy from the board a couple of weeks ago, and his 15 JKUR did great. The rear locker was stuck locked for the rest of the trip, though, which is apparently common. [sigh]

Mark

Last edited by 1BGDOG; May 19th, 2017 at 10:36 AM.

Member #
    I'm in the same boat, but sill have my 2003 TJ which runs great, but doesn't get driven much anymore. I will probably keep it, and do a lift, and 35's. However, I am looking for another Jeep as a DD, and may scout for a 2017 leftover, now that the 2018 will be coming out, supposedly new, and improved. I am hoping they will want to blow out the 2017's a good prices. I don't know much about them either, so this is good to read.
    Pilot

"Have a little faith baby. Have a little faith."
    Oddball - "Kelly's Heroes"

Be aware that the JK has the notorious CAN-BUS and is sometimes sensitive to changes in the vehicle configuration.

An example from the AEV Pro Cal user manual:

Description: This mode allows the user to modify the setting for the vehicle’s low range ratio. On vehicles
    with A580 transmissions – it is imperative to correct function that the vehicle’s computers match the
    actual ratio in the T-Case when in 4WD-Low.
    Notes:
    • The programmed ratio must match the vehicle’s actual transfer case ratio. The general rule for
    factory vehicles Rubicons have 4:1, and non-Rubicons have 2.72:1. If your vehicle shifts properly
    in 4Low, the correct setting is already programmed. You must change the transfer-case to use this
    setting.
    • A common option is to use Advanced Adapter’s “ATLAS” T-case. It is imperative that only a t-case
    with a single low range ratio be used in 2012+ automatic vehicles. A vehicle with the A580 transmission
    will not work with a dual low speed case.
    • If using an Advanced Adapter’s product with an 2012+ Automatic (A580 transmission) using their
    accessory module that sends the correct 4WD Status single is required. If you shift into 4WD Low
    with this setup, and do not see “ESP OFF” on the dashboard, the system does not know it’s in
    4WD LOW and the transmission will not shift correctly even after the ProCal is used to program the
    proper value. Contact Advanced Adapters in this event.
    "Your 2007 X3 is at home on all paved and unpaved roads. You can operate your vehicle on uphill and downhill gradients with a maximum slope of 50%. The permitted side tilt is 32%. While driving watch carefully for obstacles such as rocks or holes. Try to avoid these obstacles whenever possible."

So true.
    I have a Sport S.
    I bought a Rubicon t-case
    Sheenigans occurred.
    Got it all figured out now.
    5.38's. 37" or 39" tires and the Rubi t-case crawl all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    Be aware that the JK has the notorious CAN-BUS and is sometimes sensitive to changes in the vehicle configuration.

An example from the AEV Pro Cal user manual:

Description: This mode allows the user to modify the setting for the vehicle’s low range ratio. On vehicles
    with A580 transmissions – it is imperative to correct function that the vehicle’s computers match the
    actual ratio in the T-Case when in 4WD-Low.
    Notes:
    • The programmed ratio must match the vehicle’s actual transfer case ratio. The general rule for
    factory vehicles Rubicons have 4:1, and non-Rubicons have 2.72:1. If your vehicle shifts properly
    in 4Low, the correct setting is already programmed. You must change the transfer-case to use this
    setting.
    • A common option is to use Advanced Adapter’s “ATLAS” T-case. It is imperative that only a t-case
    with a single low range ratio be used in 2012+ automatic vehicles. A vehicle with the A580 transmission
    will not work with a dual low speed case.
    • If using an Advanced Adapter’s product with an 2012+ Automatic (A580 transmission) using their
    accessory module that sends the correct 4WD Status single is required. If you shift into 4WD Low
    with this setup, and do not see “ESP OFF” on the dashboard, the system does not know it’s in
    4WD LOW and the transmission will not shift correctly even after the ProCal is used to program the
    proper value. Contact Advanced Adapters in this event.

Member #
    Images
    I also have an interest in the yj
    " Every soul deserves a shot at a Cadillac, but not everyone should be guaranteed a Cadillac". Ben Stein

CL ad is up now.

Can't post the link from my phone but if you search for 1995 Wrangler you'll find it.