Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Images

who doesn't do this

Got a speeding ticket today. 60 mph limit. Two cars in front of me going 50.. short passing zone. I hit 74 to get around before yellow line. Front car sped up as i passed making it harder to get back in before dbl yellow. Trooper clocked me at 74 and told me that it is illegal to go over speed limit even on a two lane to get around a slower car.

Huh?

Who here doesn't speed up to pass on a two lane?

Is it really against the law? I googled and cant find the answer..
    " Every soul deserves a shot at a Cadillac, but not everyone should be guaranteed a Cadillac". Ben Stein

Member #
    Images
    I know a guy on her that got the same ticket on 285
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Member #
    Images
    IIRC, you can be ticketed for exceeding the speed limit under any circumstances.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Man, there were a ton of left lane campers on I70 last night when I drove back. I could have gotten the same ticket because there were several times where I accelerated to pass someone on the right when they wouldn't move over even when it was clear. One lady kept accelerating up to more than 85 to prevent me from passing on the right during 2 very long clear sections. The third time I dropped down a gear and floored it to make it around her.

break, fix, repeat

Funny thing is that the cdot signs said they were enforcing the move over law this weekend

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Member #
    Images
    It's really against the law to go over the speed limit even when passing. I have gotten the same ticket and thought I could fight it. Judge looked at me like I was dumb when I admitted to going over the posted speed limit with some sort of justification... Pay it and move on with yo-self.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

A sure sign of not enough serious crime when they take the time to write tickets like this.

"Show me the monies....."

ETA: At least the trooper didn't point a gun at your head....
    "Your 2007 X3 is at home on all paved and unpaved roads. You can operate your vehicle on uphill and downhill gradients with a maximum slope of 50%. The permitted side tilt is 32%. While driving watch carefully for obstacles such as rocks or holes. Try to avoid these obstacles whenever possible."

Yeah, there's no "passing" exception to the speed limit.

But does everyone do it? Well, I know I do, especially when I'm on 2 wheels. Still, for a cop to write a ticket for that seems sketchy. Maybe he was having a bad day but still....

It's sort of a mirror to the left-lane rule. There are some people (even on this board ) who think that it's OK to camp in the left lane as long as you're doing the speed limit. Nope, if you're not overtaking, you need to move over, that's the law.
    Martin (AKA Zapp Branigan) KillBot (Retired)
    "I am the Man With No Name - Zapp Branigan!"
    2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
    It's sort of a mirror to the left-lane rule. There are some people (even on this board ) who think that it's OK to camp in the left lane as long as you're doing the speed limit. Nope, if you're not overtaking, you need to move over, that's the law.
    The plane won't take off!
    95 ZJ, Lift, dents, and noise.

Member #
    Yes, we all do it.

It was a Trooper, enough said.

Even my cop friends think they're dicks.

They ESPECIALLY like to write tickets to out-of-towners cause they know you're just going to pay it rather than drive all the way back to wherever to fight it. We're rolling money bags to them.

Quote Originally Posted by DaneH View Post
    Yes, we all do it.

It was a Trooper, enough said.

Even my cop friends think they're dicks.

They ESPECIALLY like to write tickets to out-of-towners cause they know you're just going to pay it rather than drive all the way back to wherever to fight it. We're rolling money bags to them.
    I got one in Boulder county and contemplated driving all the way back to fight it but the cost of time lost at work meant that it was just cheaper to pay up

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I do it. Less time spent in the oncoming traffic lane = safer... I'm surprised they want you to pass someone doing 64, while doing 65...

Someone with more math powers than I can muster right now could calculate how long (distance) that would take.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by tjjared413 View Post
    I know a guy on her that got the same ticket on 285

When I got mine. I was passing a truck and trailer just outside of Saguache. As I passed, the truck decided to speed up as I got next to him. That's when the trooper crested a hill coming the opposite direction. Rather than hitting the brakes, I decided to speed up more to get in front. Well, according to the trooper after he whipped back around to get me,even if the truck was doing 64 mph I should not exceed 65 to pass him.
    Last edited by Jeep-in-dna; May 17th, 2017 at 02:20 PM.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep-in-dna View Post

When I got mine. I was passing a truck and trailer just outside of Saguache. As I passed, the truck decided to speed up as I got next to him. That's when the trooper crested a hill coming the opposite direction. Rather than hitting the brakes, I decided to speed up more to get in front. Well, according to the trooper after her whipped back around to get me,even if the truck was doing 64 mph I should not exceed 65 to pass him.

That is exactly how mine went!..... Its a racket

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Man, there were a ton of left lane campers on I70 last night when I drove back. I could have gotten the same ticket because there were several times where I accelerated to pass someone on the right when they wouldn't move over even when it was clear. One lady kept accelerating up to more than 85 to prevent me from passing on the right during 2 very long clear sections. The third time I dropped down a gear and floored it to make it around her.

Sounds like a kindly and caring fellow citizen making every effort to help us all to avoid breaking speed limits on our State Highways. Thank God there are these good people out there. I am sure you tipped your hat in recognition of her good deed!

Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    I do it. Less time spent in the oncoming traffic lane = safer... I'm surprised they want you to pass someone doing 64, while doing 65...

Someone with more math powers than I can muster right now could calculate how long (distance) that would take.
    Well, if you are not planning on exceeding the speed limit, there isn't much reason to pass for a 1mph savings, so a non-issue. No, I do understand your point, just being contrary here.

Overall, we have become somewhat ridiculous in our impatience. Being indignant that someone is impeding your opportunity to exceed the limit does make me chuckle. I do get it, it is your right to take your chances and, as far as I am concerned, go for it. The people who go out of their way to be speed limit imposers on those around them are not being realistic or helpful, but I recognize what they are attempting.

Leave 5 minutes earlier and take your time.

Ok. Now that I got that off my chest..... VVRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM! GTFOOMW!!
    Proudly un-offended.

yeah everybody does that. i typically go flat-out to get around asap.

man.... thought i was going to get a ticket on Ward road this morning doing like 3 over the limit. he turned on his light behind me, passed on the left in the turn lane (exceeding speed limit!) and pulled over the mini cooper in front of me. Wheat Ridge is patrolling the crap out of that stretch of road.
    1950 CJ3a - Wilma
    1999 F350 PSD - Betty

To serve and protect

(and make $$$'s for the .gov)
    I started with nothing, and I've got most of it left.

Really? You guys are gonna complain that you didn't know it was illegal to exceed the speed limit? Come on, you know better than that. You did the crime now pay the fine.

I have an exact opposite story; 285 topping the hill out of Baily, left lane ends, I mash the go peddle to pass a lady who's speeding up. As soon as I get in the right lane I pass a cop who about t bones me as he pulls out to pull me over. I knew I was screwed, wasn't sure how fast I was going but I knew the turbo was fully spoiled and I was cooking. He walks up says "I see what happened, that lady wasn't letting you pass but I need to see your license and registration". Comes back a few minutes later and says "you're good to go, just watch out coming up that hill". Not sure if he was a really cool guy or if he saw my wife glaring at me and knew she'd take care of the punishment,

Member #
    Images
    Interestingly, in il in the early 70s when i learned to drive, it was legal to speed up to pass on a two lane...

On the exact same stretch of road i had a trooper pull me over just after i finished a pass. He realized that i was telling the truth about just completing a pass and let me go and never said a word about ' i could not speed up to pass on a two lane'.... Ive never heard of anything so silly..... Why not just make a law that we can not pass? It makes just as much sense.

A buddy of mine did an experiment once. He drove the 30 miles home as fast as he could one day. Passing people to get just one car ahead, speed, tailgate, anything to get home ASAP. Next day he drove behind the guy in front of him all the way home. Know how much time he saved? 2 minutes. 2 minutes to be a jerk to everyone else on the road. I learned from his experiment it isn't worth the hassle or possible ticket to save a couple minutes. Put on some good tunes and just enjoy the ride is my philosophy.

I may not be any smarter in my old(er) age, but I'm a helluva lot wiser!
    "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" Isaac Asimov

Member #
    Images
    I agree with that experiment. Proved it many times. I drve hours on the highway 10 miles or better each hour makes it worth passing.

I also like to use cruise control. Really dislike bein behind all the people that can not keep a consistent speed.

Im not wanting to speed, id just like to go the limit and get around slow pokes. Its just plain dangerous to require people to stay the limit while passing on a two lane.
    Last edited by vb; May 18th, 2017 at 06:52 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifer2112 View Post
    A buddy of mine did an experiment once. He drove the 30 miles home as fast as he could one day. Passing people to get just one car ahead, speed, tailgate, anything to get home ASAP. Next day he drove behind the guy in front of him all the way home. Know how much time he saved? 2 minutes. 2 minutes to be a jerk to everyone else on the road. I learned from his experiment it isn't worth the hassle or possible ticket to save a couple minutes. Put on some good tunes and just enjoy the ride is my philosophy.

Sounds like a good data set.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifer2112 View Post

while i agree, in town, one or 2 cars could mean making it through the next light or not. same example, my old man and i were heading to his place from a side job. i made it through a few lights and he had to stop at them, i ended up beating him by about 15 minutes.
    hookers and blow!

i've learned to drive chill, but not miss a good passing opportunity. especially when driving in the mountains. the way people drive around here, you just never know who you might get stuck behind.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    yeah everybody does that. i typically go flat-out to get around asap.

man.... thought i was going to get a ticket on Ward road this morning doing like 3 over the limit. he turned on his light behind me, passed on the left in the turn lane (exceeding speed limit!) and pulled over the mini cooper in front of me. Wheat Ridge is patrolling the crap out of that stretch of road.
    Yeah I know the spot very well they are really watching it and I see cars pulled over just about everyday

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Really? You guys are gonna complain that you didn't know it was illegal to exceed the speed limit? Come on, you know better than that. You did the crime now pay the fine.
    True, but the police can use some discretion at times too. I think that too often they use minor infractions to pull people over to "check them out". That's too much like "can I see your papers please" for me.

Member #
    I know what fire is and I know if I stick my hand in it I get burned, but darn if I didn't do it again and got burned and now I am complaining. Always makes me laugh when people talk about rackets and speed traps, trickery blah blah blah. Yep really sneaky to put up all those black and white signs that say what the speed limit is and every vehicle (almost) is equipped with a device that informs the driver of the speed of their vehicle. Its just a revenue grabbing plot I tell you. But then I may be slightly biased.
    I suffered trail rejection from a carb infection and after futher inspection fuel injection was my election for proper correction and now I want some gear selection, any question?

Quote Originally Posted by 70jimmy View Post
    I know what fire is and I know if I stick my hand in it I get burned, but darn if I didn't do it again and got burned and now I am complaining. Always makes me laugh when people talk about rackets and speed traps, trickery blah blah blah. Yep really sneaky to put up all those black and white signs that say what the speed limit is and every vehicle (almost) is equipped with a device that informs the driver of the speed of their vehicle. Its just a revenue grabbing plot I tell you. But then I may be slightly biased.
    COP!

Now I can understand what you are saying in regards to blatantly speeding, but on a 2 lane highway with a 65 mph speed limit, and you pull up behind a vehicle doing 60 mph or even a little less. Try passing them and only keep it to 65 mph as you pass. I for one don't like staying in the oncoming traffic lane for the entire allotted distance to pass. When cars are traveling at you also doing 65 mph, they come quite quickly, even if they weren't in sight when you began to pass. Any cop that gives a ticket for that is an asshole.
    Last edited by Jeep-in-dna; May 18th, 2017 at 03:33 PM.

Member #
    In regards to the original poster situation, going 14 over has a high probability of receiving a driving award. But hey at least you got around that slow poke only to cost yourself 15 or 20 minutes and a few dollars. Congrats!!!

Member #
    Images
    Dbl yellow and a hill coming up while the lead vehicle sped up as i passed... Ill continue doing exactly the same thing. Speeding up at that point is the only thing that makes sense. I needed out of the left lane!

Member #
    Images
    Btw,... Ive made no complaint here..... My question was, who here does not speed up while passing on a two lane?.....

Simple...

I had no clue that Colorado law was that dangerous and silly. Now i do.

Member #
    Many moons ago the law did allow for exceeding the speed limit to pass, however that changed just a guess about 20 years ago.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 70jimmy View Post
    Many moons ago the law did allow for exceeding the speed limit to pass, however that changed just a guess about 20 years ago.
    Exactly!..... Ive been driving for more than twice that. Thats why it was a surprise. Increases revenue and makes no sense.

Member #
    Like most laws that get altered it happens because of some people who take it to the extreme. Well the law said I could exceed the speed limit to pass so that is what I did. 104 in a 55 well I just wanted to get around that car and then I would slow down. Then the legislature says OK we will fix this.

A few foolish drivers mess it up for everyone else. But after removing deceased parties from the roadway because a person felt it was worth putting lives in danger to pass a car or two that may have been going a few miles under the speed limit there isn't much tolerance for it.

If you don't like a law contact the legislature and have them change it.

I agree it's stupid and I always violate the law when passing but on the other hand I understand that if it's not safe to pass while going the speed limit then it's probably not safe to pass at that time and you should probably wait

Member #
    Images
    I find in the mountains, the people who timidly creep through every stretch that's not perfectly straight seem to try to make it up when they reach the straight places/passing zones. If you don't give it hell, you're going to be going 20 in a 45 zone for the next 10 miles and having to run in a lower gear.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I say some stupid sh!t here.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    I find in the mountains, the people who timidly creep through every stretch that's not perfectly straight seem to try to make it up when they reach the straight places/passing zones. If you don't give it hell, you're going to be going 20 in a 45 zone for the next 10 miles and having to run in a lower gear.
    yeah, that one bothers me greatly. If you are driving slow, or even the speed limit, and collecting a line behind you, slow up at the next passing zone and let them go by. I always do. Crawling along a canyon at half the listed limit only to have the same dope blast along the passing section so you stay stuck behind them make me want to bring paint packs to throw at their windshield when I finally get near them.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    yeah, that one bothers me greatly. If you are driving slow, or even the speed limit, and collecting a line behind you, slow up at the next passing zone and let them go by. I always do. Crawling along a canyon at half the listed limit only to have the same dope blast along the passing section so you stay stuck behind them make me want to bring paint packs to throw at their windshield when I finally get near them.

Amen!

What ever happened to the "pull over and let the stack behind you pass". I read it was a Colorado law. I saw it happen once.

In over twenty years of vacations in the Colorado mountains I only got stopped one time. Where 114 hits Hwy 60 a nice trooper
    warned me not to do creeping stops at stop signs then let me off!
    There were always two troopers in that area.

I loved driving Hwy 114 fast.. Don S..
    Burleson Tx, Where the Honey's have lotsa Miilk!
    Colorado Mountain Pass Collector for 30 years with 161
    1976 401 Wagoneer 1999 Frontier V6 4x4

Member #
    Images

ooops It was Hwy 50 near Parlins

The map on the back of my hand changed since I was there

Quote Originally Posted by Don S View Post

Amen!

What ever happened to the "pull over and let the stack behind you pass". I read it was a Colorado law. I saw it happen once.
    Ca has a law that says if you have 5 cars behind you (I think it's 5) you need to pull over. To my knowledge Colorado has no such law. I've pulled over when there's one car behind me just because it's the right thing to do, routinely get stuck in 20+ car lines though and have only ever seen one or two others extend a little common courtesy.