Member #

Slaughterhouse News - Shooting Prohibited

Just passing this along from a local source:

MORRISON... The U.S. Forest Service has issued an order prohibiting the shooting of firearms in the Slaughterhouse Gulch area of the Pike National Forest, between Bailey and Harris Park, Colo. The closure order is effective for five years and was initiated as a result of an increasing numbers of complaints of unsafe shooting practices that posed a risk to life and property.

The closure order was signed on Dec. 3 by Robert Leaverton, forest supervisor of the Pike & San Isabel National Forests, Cimarron & Comanche National Grasslands.

The closure was requested by South Platte District Ranger Randy Hickenbottom following the receipt of numerous individual citizen complaints; U.S. Forest Service and Park County law enforcement officers? observations of unsafe shooting practices; and discussions between U.S. Forest Service officials, area residents and Park County elected and appointed officials during a Nov. 17 Park County Commission work session. The Park County Commission lent its full support to the U.S. Forest Service immediately enacting the shooting closure.

Slaughterhouse Gulch Road and Forest Service Road 101, that help define the 6,900-acre closure area, are roughly north-south running roads that are generally within one-half mile of private land. The impacted area boasts several miles of all-terrain-vehicle, motorcycle and four-wheel drive accessible roads; horseback riding and hiking activities; and numerous residences that surround this area.

In his justification statement for enacting the shooting closure, South Platte District Ranger Randy Hickenbottom stated, ?Shooting (in the Slaughterhouse Gulch area) commonly occurs in the direction of or near residential communities. It also involves unsafe practices such as shooting without a backstop, shooting into or across canyons or drainages, from or across roads and trails, and shooting toward occupied areas. Law enforcement personnel have found people shooting under the influence of alcohol or narcotics, shooting between the hours of midnight and 6:00 a.m., shooting from public property onto private property and shooting from motor vehicles.?

Hickenbottom emphasizes that ?the purpose of this Order is simply to reduce safety hazards to the public and employees in this highly used area, and not to unreasonably reduce recreational shooting. Much of the remainder of the South Platte Ranger District remains open to recreational shooting.

The closure order makes it unlawful to discharge a firearm, air rifle or gas gun in the closure area. Exceptions include any person possessing a current and valid Colorado State hunting license and who is actively involved in hunting during an open season, and any person discharging a gas-operated paint ball gun. Also exempt are Federal, State, or local law enforcement officers in the performance of an official duty.

Violations of the closure order prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both. (16 U.S.C. 551 and 18 U.S.C.3559 and 3571).

Member #
    Images
    maybe this will help the boulder rangers do the same in lefthand.

i got word that the were claims of bullets hitting one of my neighbors homes resently.

Member #
    Images
    bout time!! At least now it will stay a hell of alot cleaner, and wont have to worry about Joe Dirt getting stupid with his new pistola and spraying shots all over!!

Member #

Thumbs down B.s.

I dont agree with this at all, and I am suprised that certain people do!

I think offenders should be caught and charged with whatever laws they broke, but all out closure is stupid! What do you think will be next? I do shoot in national forest's often(not in that area or lefthand), I also wheel there, how long before that bothers people and I am banned from that also?

I guess what I mean is enforce the laws we have, dont punish everyone because joe dirt is stupid! We have many idiots in our own ranks, and I dont remember anyone on this board being happy when trails are closed for the same stupidity.
    Oh well seem's that apathy and emotional response is what governs this country anymore.. I think there is a line from an old song that when modified sums it up well.....

When you listen to fools the MINORITY rules.

Jim

Member #
    Images
    I have wheeled up in that area and others like left hand and a few other spots that people shoot at that are close to 4x4 atv and horse back trails and I find that one to be one of the unsafest ones I have ever been to. left hand a bit from time to time cause I have seen a few scary and odd people shooting there. I have never been past that shooting area with out seeing people doing unsafe or dumb things. I wish I would have taken note of the few times I have seen that and reported those issues. That would be my bad in not helping keep this area open maybe cause they could have stopped the bad seed people doing the unsafe shooting. This is only a 5 year ban and maybe in that time the place can get cleaned up. I would more than be happy to spend some time cleaning up that area.
    TO say enforce the laws we have and not tp punish everyone is a hard statement to back up cause we all know the FS is streached out as it is for funding and personel at this point. Its up to us to get out there make positive notes with the communities and they might reopen those areas again and or sooner maybe.
    I don't think the firearms community is as structured as the 4x4 com. like use we have this forum and land use section to help cleanups and runs that help the BLM and FS but shooters don't. I have never seen a shooter clean up of shooting areas.
    Lets get out there clean up the place.
    We just ran storm in the snow and I got 2 water bottels, a chip bag, popcan and a glove I found out on the trail. its now in my garbage at home.
    Originally Posted by [B]Sound_Man[/B]
    [I]"can't you see I am working here? I don't go down to the corner and slap d!cks out of your mouth when you are working.":lmao: [/I]

Member #
    I understand that the forest service does not have the man power they need, but if they would cooperate with local authoraties and say crack down hard in that area for a month the idiots would stop going there.
    This is fedral land any crimes commited there are fedral offences go out and throw the idiots in fedral prison,landowners get tag numbers and discriptions report it to all fedral law enforcment. I understand why this is happening but we cannot contine to punish the majority for the mistakes of a few, we will be legislated into a mindless society who is incapable of doing anything for themselves.
    I agree that we all could and should do more (myself included) we really need to start reporting these idiots (all idiots wheeling,shooting or whatever) everytime we see them.

Jim

Member #
    As a responsible wheel and firearm owner I agree with the ban. I have spent a lot of time in slaughterhouse over the years and have seen some very unsafe shooting there. Its not because of responsible people like us, its all the kids that live in surrounding areas that go up there, party and shoot firearms irresponsibly. There have also been a lot of fights and other bad incidents which could attribute to having no guns there. Im happy we can still wheel most of it. It would be nice if we didnt have to pay for the mistakes of others but sometimes it can help cut down on recurring problems.