Let's talk Junkyard seats

I'd like to get some new seats. What I have are ok, but I think I want something with side bolstering. My FIL has an older Subaru Impreza that would be a good candidate, but I'd like to run to the yard with a few cars on my list.

Parameters are:
    Side and perhaps butt bolstering
    low profile (mounting position to top of seat has to be short!)
    Fold forward and back
    slide forward and back.

Would love some ideas from folks who've been down this road!
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    I went right to suspension seats and never looked back
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

I'd love to, but I'm not sure that is in the budget.

Member #
    Images
    I have these and they have been a great seat for the money

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...522902&spf=708

I'd love to hear what people have paid for nice seats out of the Junk Yard... $400 for a pr isn't bad, although I would have to come up with some sort of way to allow the passenger seat to flop forward to allow access to the back.

In the Sami I have seats from a late 90s Mazda Protege. I needed narrow seats and they were in nice shape for $40 for the pair from a local yard. They are ok but not as much side and bottom bolstering. I am modifying them now for a 5-point harness.

In my Land Cruiser I got seats from an 02-05 Subaru WRX. They were $400 off ebay from an on-line wrecker. Very nice shape with decent side and butt support. They look exactly like these:

Took some effort to make the Land Cruiser mounting rails fit the seat but much more comfy that the broken down stock seats were.
    87 Sami-toy thingy, geared, locked, coiled, air shocked @ 100" WB & 2700 lbs.

I got seats out of a 96 ZJ for like $50 at the yard. The back isn't as high as I would like it, but it sounds like that may actually be a good thing in your situation.
    www.staythetrail.org

Also, possibly try CraigsList. Found some near new seats for the 4Runner for $20.00 greenbacks. Although in hindsight, I really do like the above pictured Subaru Wrx seats.
    Red 1st gen 4Runner

Some great ideas!! I'll start compiling a list.

Quote Originally Posted by zukatude View Post
    In the Sami I have seats from a late 90s Mazda Protege. I needed narrow seats and they were in nice shape for $40 for the pair from a local yard. They are ok but not as much side and bottom bolstering. I am modifying them now for a 5-point harness.

In my Land Cruiser I got seats from an 02-05 Subaru WRX. They were $400 off ebay from an on-line wrecker. Very nice shape with decent side and butt support. They look exactly like these:

Took some effort to make the Land Cruiser mounting rails fit the seat but much more comfy that the broken down stock seats were.
    I bought a pair of these for $150 on CL. they were super comfy but I was too tall to sit in them in my Tacoma. I suppose I could have made it work if I got rid of the slider rails and built a slim bracket.

Other seats I considered were Subaru Impreza, Acura Integra, Scion
    break, fix, repeat

Most pull n pay yards are around $25 per seat- so $50 for the pair. It's hit and miss as to selection and quality, but I have seen some great seats (usually when I WASN'T looking for seats...)

I put leather Mustang buckets in my daughter's F150 a few years ago. Power/heated, etc- $50 for the pair.
    We were not happy with the seats in the truck- too slippery for truck use- but they are beautiful leather, heated and powered. They are in my basement- thinking a porch swing with heated bucket seats sounds pretty cool.

Toyota Celica seats are in the ice race jeep. Cloth- high back, good bolster profile. They look a little goofy to me- but work great. They replaced Beard race seats (that are now in another project).

Geo metro seats are in the plow jeep. These are my faves out of the junkyard seats I have personally bought- super light, seat base is nice and short, decent bolster (but not too much- climbing out of a spring over CJ with fiberglass race seats was not fun).

The "right' seat really is determined by what it is going into. The Willys and the CJ require a pretty narrow seat.

One benefit to pull n pay- they'll take them back if you can't make them fit. You are only out the labor time in extracting them at the yard.
    If you cross thread a bolt, there is no need for loctite.

Run whatcha brung... And hope you brought enough.

Oh- and be careful if you weld or even cut the brackets- the seat foam on every seat I have worked on is apparently impregnated with some sort of napalm. I think I should carry a bit of the foam as an emergency fire starter.

Great info. I'd like something that will work with a 5pt harness, but usually I only use the lap belts.

I think the back can be fairly high, but too thick of a seat has me trying to look thru the top of the windshield frame.

Quote Originally Posted by PovertyByJeep View Post
    Oh- and be careful if you weld or even cut the brackets- the seat foam on every seat I have worked on is apparently impregnated with some sort of napalm. I think I should carry a bit of the foam as an emergency fire starter.
    Good to know. I have a welding blanket just in case!

Member #
    Images
    Saturn seats don't have a thick lower pad. Great for a CJ, where a thick seat puts one's knees into the bottom of the steering wheel.

Revisiting this idea, the 4runner buckets in my truck are getting really uncomfortable even after an hour of driving

I still haven't made it to the pick-n-pull. I have found some options on CL, but nothing so good I couldn't pass them up. Now that my bronco appears to be running well, I have some other minor things to address and then perhaps I can dig into seats again!

Subaru Forester seats seem appealing, there are several heated sets on CL. I'm worried about the seat thickness/height

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I made a trip to the junkyard today to pickup a 9" yoke (failed), so I scoped out seats that meet my criteria.

1994 Toyota Celica

2001 Acura Integra:

1999 Mercury Cougar

2007 Mazda3

Unknown year Mazda3

2003 Hyundia Tiberon

2012 Mitsubishi Lancer

And the ones I need to go back and score...
    Toyota Celica GT

Second pick would be the Mazda3 as they raised and lowered with a jacking mechanism!

Then I ran across these when searching google for celica GT seats...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2X-JDM-UN...=sem#read-more

The Celica seats are what are in my race jeep. They are great.

Why does EVERY seat in the junkyard have cigarette burn marks in it?

Quote Originally Posted by PovertyByJeep View Post
    The Celica seats are what are in my race jeep. They are great.

Why does EVERY seat in the junkyard have cigarette burn marks in it?
    Great to hear! My big concern is how well a carseat will fit in them for the occasional run to town with one of the kiddos....

But yeah, why do they have to have cigarette burns? I know there is something you can do to keep the hole from tearing, so if I score those seats today, I'll see what I can find to preserve them. Wish I had a handheld shampooer

I used the aerosol spray foam cleaner with the plastic brush attached to the can and my shop vac. Pretty sure I got it at Wal Mart.

And then went CRAZY. They look really nasty when you get that close. I am thinking a pressure washer at idle might be effective too.

I will say the seats look a little goofy to me from behind the jeep (it only has a bikini top and no back seat or anything)- but decent bolster, easy to get in and out- and CHEAP!

Member #
    Images
    This is a must for anyone with kids or pets. It would work well on those seats.

https://www.bissell.com/bissell-spot...-cleaner-33n8a
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

I made some time today to get back out to the junkyard. Score! The Celica GT seats were still there!

Then on the way out I spotted an early 2000 Subaru Impreza RS... I missed the whole Subaru section yesterday!!

Also this 2010ish Mitsubishi Eclipse:

Needless to say, the Celica seats came home with me, but I made a deal with myself...if I could fit two sets in, I'd go back after the Impreza.

So....

Gotta love wagons for hauling!!

They both need some serious cleaning (Thanks for the tip PBJ). Both have pros and cons, so I'm not sure which ones will actually go in. The Celica passenger seat won't recline or lean forward, but perhaps that can be fixed. They also have that nice burn mark in them. But they are low and easiest to mount in. The subi seats are comfy and great bolstering. Even have a jacking mechanism to lower or raise the drivers seat. But the bolster will probably get abused on the drivers side and they will take some more work to mount in.