Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    BumperMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    9209
    Images
    14

    We finally dropped a MOAB.

    I know MOAB has a different meaning to most of you guys...as a long time AF targeteer, this is a dream come true. I just wish I'd been in on the planning for that one. You have no idea how many times I have looks at a targeting problem and thought...if only we could use the MOAB. I don't know who's decision that was, but well done.

    https://www.defense.gov/Video/videoid/519242/
    Last edited by BumperMan; April 14th, 2017 at 07:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Grumpy Ol Biker CLYDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NORTHGLENN
    Member #
    3631
    Images
    49
    I like it
    Tired of being tired.



    "I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    --Robert Heinlein

    PROUD PARENT OF A UNITED STATES MARINE!!! Sleep Well America, My Marine Has Got Your Back... Proud Parent of a Sailor, in the United States Navy.......

    Lunatic? just call me the duece

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Member #
    4898
    Images
    20
    Contact me for all your firearms needs. Guns, ammo, accessories, NFA......

  4. #4
    Your What Hurts? Sound_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Yoder
    Member #
    3374
    Images
    7
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

  5. #5
    BumperMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    9209
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man View Post
    Too funny.

  6. #6
    ASCTLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Black Forest
    Member #
    1416
    Images
    5

  7. #7
    ASCTLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Black Forest
    Member #
    1416
    Images
    5

  8. #8
    KABUL (Reuters) - The top U.S. military commander in Afghanistan said on Friday his decision to deploy one of the largest conventional bombs used in combat was done in communication with officials in Washington and was a purely tactical decision.

    "This was the right weapon for the right target," General John Nicholson told reporters at a news conference in Kabul.

    The 21,600-pound (9,797-kg) GBU-43 bomb, was dropped from an MC-130 aircraft in the Achin district of the eastern province of Nangarhar bordering Pakistan against a network of tunnels that Afghan and U.S. officials said was being used by militants linked to Islamic State.

    Afghan officials said 36 fighters loyal to Islamic State were killed.
    "Your 2007 X3 is at home on all paved and unpaved roads. You can operate your vehicle on uphill and downhill gradients with a maximum slope of 50%. The permitted side tilt is 32%. While driving watch carefully for obstacles such as rocks or holes. Try to avoid these obstacles whenever possible."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    KABUL (Reuters) - The top U.S. military commander in Afghanistan said on Friday his decision to deploy one of the largest conventional bombs used in combat was done in communication with officials in Washington and was a purely tactical decision.

    "This was the right weapon for the right target," General John Nicholson told reporters at a news conference in Kabul.

    The 21,600-pound (9,797-kg) GBU-43 bomb, was dropped from an MC-130 aircraft in the Achin district of the eastern province of Nangarhar bordering Pakistan against a network of tunnels that Afghan and U.S. officials said was being used by militants linked to Islamic State.

    Afghan officials said 36 fighters loyal to Islamic State were killed.

    Come on Trump's son was playing Call of Duty and Trump walked in and said, "WTF just happened?", Trump's son "Oh someone got a MOAB and blew up the whole map." Trump was like, "Cool wish we could do that". Son, "Dad its a real bomb". Immediately calls up commanders where can we drop one.

  10. #10
    Your What Hurts? Sound_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Yoder
    Member #
    3374
    Images
    7

  11. #11
    BumperMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    9209
    Images
    14
    Maybe not we can drop a daisy cutter.

  12. #12
    That would be like a fire cracker compared to the MOAB...
    The benefits from MILSPEC requirements are priceless!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MinesJeep View Post
    Come on Trump's son was playing Call of Duty and Trump walked in and said, "WTF just happened?", Trump's son "Oh someone got a MOAB and blew up the whole map." Trump was like, "Cool wish we could do that". Son, "Dad its a real bomb". Immediately calls up commanders where can we drop one.
    lol
    break, fix, repeat

  14. #14

  15. #15
    9fngrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colo spgs
    Member #
    11696
    Images
    1
    I think the $17,000 estimate is likely far from the truth. Someone knows how much it cost, not sure why they extrapolate based on another bomb. One link states that "almost 100 fighters were killed" most everyone else says closer to 36...I wish we could get some accurate reporting from someone. I personally think we should litter their countryside with outdated munitions.
    locked and longarmed on 37's and beadlocks(sold)

  16. #16
    Your What Hurts? Sound_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Yoder
    Member #
    3374
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by 9fngrs View Post
    ....I personally think we should litter their countryside with outdated munitions.
    This is how you create a recruiting tool for those we are fighting.

  17. #17
    BumperMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    9209
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
    That would be like a fire cracker compared to the MOAB...
    Yeah but it is a big ole cluster munition. The results are amazing.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by 9fngrs View Post
    One link states that "almost 100 fighters were killed" most everyone else says closer to 36...I wish we could get some accurate reporting from someone.
    They revised the estimate upward as they found more...pieces.

    Believing one conventional bomb costs $314,000,000.00 reminds me of this:

  19. #19
    9fngrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colo spgs
    Member #
    11696
    Images
    1
    One is ok but multiples are not?? What is the reasoning behind this?? As for cost...I did not build it so I don't know but I would guess the explosives alone cost more than 17k...Just a guess.

  20. #20
    ni0h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    fred
    Member #
    6858
    Images
    1
    I first found out it had been dropped when my liberal friends started posting memes about how much stuff that's not the government's job could be done for the cost of just one MOAB.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I say some stupid sh!t here.

  21. #21
    crashXJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Mile High - Section 115
    Member #
    18126
    Images
    21
    I read somewhere the true cost was not known because the Air Force manufactures these in house and its just part of the budget. If a Tomahawk costs $1.4 mill to make I am pretty darn sure a massive fuel air bomb is gonna cost much more but doubt its in the billions...but then again I would not bat an eye if it were.
    This is my boom stick.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by BumperMan View Post
    Yeah but it is a big ole cluster munition. The results are amazing.
    A daisy cutter is a 3 foot extended nose fuze that causes the bomb to detonate above ground...

  23. #23
    BumperMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    9209
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by crashXJ View Post
    I read somewhere the true cost was not known because the Air Force manufactures these in house and its just part of the budget. If a Tomahawk costs $1.4 mill to make I am pretty darn sure a massive fuel air bomb is gonna cost much more but doubt its in the billions...but then again I would not bat an eye if it were.
    Comparing the cost of a guided missile to a guided bomb is apples to armadillos.

  24. #24
    tacotoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Westminster
    Member #
    6222
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by BumperMan View Post
    Comparing the cost of a guided missile to a guided bomb is apples to armadillos.
    I threw an apple at an armadillo once...
    hookers and blow!

  25. #25
    K2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Broomfield
    Member #
    1092
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    I threw an apple at an armadillo once...
    Yes, but what did it cost?
    95 ZJ, Lift, dents, and noise.

  26. #26
    tacotoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Westminster
    Member #
    6222
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Yes, but what did it cost?
    about three fiddy

  27. #27
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    I threw an apple at an armadillo once...
    Careful, that's how you get leprosy!

  28. #28
    Iyaoyas!
    ☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌ 
    / \ Copy and paste him
    Jim - www.yuccaman.com - '04 LJ Unlimited

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •