Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 55

Thread: dash cams

  1. #1
    vb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    montrose
    Member #
    1190
    Images
    29

    dash cams

    Thinking about blackvue and lucas . Id like to have the dual cameras.

    Anyone tried these or have other suggestions?
    " Every soul deserves a shot at a Cadillac, but not everyone should be guaranteed a Cadillac". Ben Stein

  2. #2
    I have a blackbox, front only, and I like it.

    This is sped way up but you can get an idea of the video quality for an inexpensive one.



    ETA ~
    Here is a link to the cam https://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Ori.../dp/B00FONBG1A
    Last edited by Sound_Man; January 12th, 2017 at 09:28 AM.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

  3. #3
    Same blackbox regular speed. Electric fence was off and he took advantage of it.


  4. #4
    vb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    montrose
    Member #
    1190
    Images
    29
    I was looking at the 0806 and the reviews are too good?

    Oddly,i dont see many dash cams with many good reviews. Is it just too early in development?

  5. #5
    Is the 0806 a battery or capacitor model? Mine is a capacitor version and I have read that the battery models from just about every brand have issues with heat in the summer.

  6. #6
    vb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    montrose
    Member #
    1190
    Images
    29
    Battery model

  7. #7
    I just ordered the Black Box G1W-CB.

    Capacitor model, "heat proof"

    I figure that I do enough driving around Denver to justify the cost. I've been hitting 1500-2000 miles a month lately and I've had a few close calls in traffic
    break, fix, repeat

  8. #8
    newracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Timnath, CO
    Member #
    10010
    Images
    29
    I have a basic one from Cobra, it works well but recently started to not keep recording after the power is disconnected. I assume it is a capacitor type and it took a crap.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

  9. #9
    Mine is a capacitor model. Got it in Nov of 2015 and it is still good to go.

  10. #10
    Getting deep in here Hardcor4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northglenn, Co
    Member #
    2371
    Wife and I have been tossing around the idea of getting forward and rear facing cameras but state farm said they will give the maximum insurance discount for models that show speed, turn signal and brake indicators in the video.

    Ive had some interesting happenings at 2:30 am in the morning when driving to work, other times too. cars running red lights right in front of me. cars driving on the wrong side of the road. cars cutting me off like i'm not there, getting brake checked because i honked at them for being an idiot. But with no witnesses or other cars around in the wee hours of the morning if i get into a bad accident, there is very little and most of the time no witnesses around at that hour of the morning. its my word against theirs about what happened. cause we all know no body says "sorry it was my fault" anymore. its always your fault.

    In Russia nearly 80% of drivers have dash cams because insurance fraud ran rampet over there years ago with fraudulent insurance claims, that and they drive like crazy over there. course we do too. everyone started getting dash cams and fraudulent claims dropped significantly. Look on Youtube at Russian dash cam footage. 10's of thousands of videos. Lots of people here in the US are now starting to use them more and more. As our insurance agent told us, it can mean the difference of you being charged with vehicular manslaughter or not if there are no witnesses in a crash involving a death. Someone else runs a red light and slams into you causing serious injury or death to someone in either vehicle and no witnesses it becomes your word against theirs if they say you ran the red light when they really did. Dash cam can be the best witness for you but can also be worst witness against you.

  11. #11
    vb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    montrose
    Member #
    1190
    Images
    29
    I dont see too many that do turns signals and brakes?

  12. #12
    Getting deep in here Hardcor4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northglenn, Co
    Member #
    2371
    Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    I dont see too many that do turns signals and brakes?
    There available but they are pricey. Police cruisers use them. Our TMA debris truck at work has it also but its several cameras in one system. Front, 2 rear views for when the crash attenuator stinger is up or down and left and right turn signal cameras. I cant imagine how expensive that system is.

    I think a system with speed indicator will have to do for us. Obviously a quick speed drop in telemetry in the video is a clear indication of hitting brakes. Audio recording of a loud enough turn signal indicator thats in most newer vehicles these days you'll be able to hear the turn signal audio in play back.

  13. #13
    Funny this came up, as I've been getting ready to pull the trigger on a dash cam myself. Seems to me most have pretty good reviews. I'm considering this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A8IQBBGLCSUJ7
    which is pricier than Sound_Man's, but does have better reviews. Even his has 3.5 stars, not terrible. I liked the stealthy mounting and it was recommended by some reviewer on Youtube that reviewed a bunch of them.

    One thing I'm not clear on, probably being I'm not a tech-geek, is how you retrieve, view, video. Does it create a video file for each drive, or time-based? The camera must have some on board memory to store files, and I'm assuming it starts overwriting the oldest files once it fills up (FIFO)? What should we look for in this department when choosing a camera?

    BTW, Sound_Man, you drive way too fast in that first video!
    Murray's Toys: 76 FJ40, 00 Toyota MR2, 07 KTM 450EXC, 05 Suzuki SV1000S, 12 Yeti SB66c, too many skis to list...

    I got your Jeep thing....now it burns when I pee

  14. #14
    Camp Cook Geek cheftyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Member #
    8454
    Images
    1
    Usually they record on a loop, when the card fills up it'll clip the old footage as it records new footage.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

  15. #15
    Vernon, Janel got one for xmas that she doesn't want. She put it on eBay. I don't know if it's worth a darn or not but look under username AEROPOD and you'll see it.

    That is, unless one of you can convince us we want it.

  16. #16
    I like this guy's reviews of dashcams. He's got a funny accent though, and seems to think the windshield is a 'windscreen. Weird.

    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/category/car-dvr-dashcams
    Jeff Mason
    99 Isuzu Amigo.

  17. #17
    mtn WJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Highlands Ranch
    Member #
    755
    Images
    6
    I have decided to put one in each of the cars. This year alone there have been three accidents in my family of 5 drivers. I was the driver in one and the person who caused the accident basically lied and these days the investigating officers would rather write both people a ticket than investigate further whenever there is some sort of dispute of fault. BS. Same thing happened to my Daughter. I was able to get my ticket dropped down to one point as the DA said all evidence pointed to the other guy at fault but he did not have power to drop it entirely and I did not want to bother with a trial, considering the insurance companies already hashed it out and it would not change at that point. I was able to get my daughters ticket dropped by the Douglas county DA. She said they are seeing a lot of this were the officers are writing both people tickets and bogging down the court system with it.

    So my requirements are simple, needs to be inexpensive as I have six to buy and have a built in monitor to use at the scene. I am leaning towards the Blackbox from Amazon.
    My Jeep is not an SUV and your SUV is not a Jeep
    Support the Grand Slam West Sponsors
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=11024

  18. #18
    The ones that also record speed and vehicle information like brakes and turn signals get really expensive. Those have to be wired into the vehicle and the get fairly complicated. Some use an internal GPS for speed and those are a little cheaper. I guess it really depends on what you are trying to do with the video you capture. For me it is all the crazy stuff I see on the road when driving into town from home or maybe capturing an accident for proof of who was at fault. I am not looking for a break on my insurance.

    Most use a micro SD card to record to. You can select 2, 3 or 5 minute intervals for the recordings. I keep mine set to 5 minutes and every 5 minutes it creates a new file. When the card gets full it records over the oldest file on the card or you can set it to stop recording when the card is full.

    There are a lot of other things you can have these things do like motion sensing when the car is parked, loud noises can turn it on like glass breaks but then it has to be wired to constant not switched power. I wired mine to a switched 12v source in the car and it sits behind my rear view mirror pretty much out of sight.

    Like any electronic device you can spend a lot of money on these things but you can also get pretty damn good results from a cheap one too. That is what I was trying to illustrate with the videos I posted.

  19. #19
    Getting deep in here Hardcor4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northglenn, Co
    Member #
    2371
    You would think with the new cars having back up cameras and some have forward cameras that just a little extra they could offer forward and rear facing recording dash cams with telemetry on the video. The new Ford super duty trucks are supposed to have 360 degree view cameras. Just make it possible to record it. It wouldn't take that much more.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man View Post
    The ones that also record speed and vehicle information like brakes and turn signals get really expensive. Those have to be wired into the vehicle and the get fairly complicated. Some use an internal GPS for speed and those are a little cheaper. I guess it really depends on what you are trying to do with the video you capture. For me it is all the crazy stuff I see on the road when driving into town from home or maybe capturing an accident for proof of who was at fault. I am not looking for a break on my insurance.

    Most use a micro SD card to record to. You can select 2, 3 or 5 minute intervals for the recordings. I keep mine set to 5 minutes and every 5 minutes it creates a new file. When the card gets full it records over the oldest file on the card or you can set it to stop recording when the card is full.

    There are a lot of other things you can have these things do like motion sensing when the car is parked, loud noises can turn it on like glass breaks but then it has to be wired to constant not switched power. I wired mine to a switched 12v source in the car and it sits behind my rear view mirror pretty much out of sight.

    Like any electronic device you can spend a lot of money on these things but you can also get pretty damn good results from a cheap one too. That is what I was trying to illustrate with the videos I posted.

    I picked this one up from samsclub over the summer.

    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/tw-x330...lp:product:1:2


    It records GPS and speed, and has sensitivity as well. (A little to sensitive on washboard roads, IMHO). It seems to work really well and has a decent picture:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBfIqwwg5BY

    As far as brakes and turn signals are concerned, it seems that a person with a little bit of electrical know-how could rig three discreet small led lights to mount in the wiper tray. All it would take is tapping into the brake and turns under the dash... (i think).
    Last edited by Jeff Mason; January 16th, 2017 at 12:58 PM.

  21. #21
    Couldn't you also mount the camera away from the windshield, farther back, that shows the dashboard in the footage? Wouldn't have brake lights, but you could see the speedometer going down. I'm sure someone could get a mounting option figured out.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by BigChev View Post
    Couldn't you also mount the camera away from the windshield, farther back, that shows the dashboard in the footage? Wouldn't have brake lights, but you could see the speedometer going down. I'm sure someone could get a mounting option figured out.
    maybe. Most of these cheaper cams have a limited range as far as license plate readability and I wouldn't want to make it much shorter.


    My camera came in on Sunday but I haven't installed it yet.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    maybe. Most of these cheaper cams have a limited range as far as license plate readability and I wouldn't want to make it much shorter.


    My camera came in on Sunday but I haven't installed it yet.
    I don't know anything about them, but have been considering them since I have had several people I know get screwed over on things that a dash camera might have prevented.

  24. #24
    tacotoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Westminster
    Member #
    6222
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by BigChev View Post
    Couldn't you also mount the camera away from the windshield, farther back, that shows the dashboard in the footage? Wouldn't have brake lights, but you could see the speedometer going down. I'm sure someone could get a mounting option figured out.
    It would be kinda hard to have it focus on something that close and also on the road 30 feet in front of you.
    hookers and blow!

  25. #25
    Just installed my blackbox cam. The user interface was a little frustrating but is fairly straightforward once you figure out the buttons.

    I'm not sure about license plate readability at any distance but the night quality seems pretty good from a glance. It would be good enough to show what happened in the case of a front end collision. I will have to upload some examples later this week.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Just installed my blackbox cam. The user interface was a little frustrating but is fairly straightforward once you figure out the buttons.

    I'm not sure about license plate readability at any distance but the night quality seems pretty good from a glance. It would be good enough to show what happened in the case of a front end collision. I will have to upload some examples later this week.
    If you full screen the video you can make stuff out pretty easily. You got the same one I have I believe. If you want to string together a bunch of the videos windows movie maker makes it easy, drag and drop them all in there at once then save it in the resolution of your choice.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Member #
    7887
    I looked at this one for $139 at Costco yesterday ... didn't buy, but considering

    https://www.costco.com/Papago-Super-...100303970.html

  28. #28
    here's a day time test. Take a gander at the fella waving the flag off the bridge (and ignore the dashboard rattle )


  29. #29
    here's a night time sample


  30. #30
    creepycrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The land of free bacon.
    Member #
    5806
    Pretty good looking camera but what that rattling noise all the way through the video?

    The only possible issue i saw was that while you could read plate numbers on cars in lanes beside you, i couldnt even see numbers on plates directly in front of you because of the bright reflection but i dont have any idea how that could be corrected.

    Looks good.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

  31. #31
    vb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    montrose
    Member #
    1190
    Images
    29
    They make filters for that cc

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcor4x4 View Post
    You would think with the new cars having back up cameras and some have forward cameras that just a little extra they could offer forward and rear facing recording dash cams with telemetry on the video. The new Ford super duty trucks are supposed to have 360 degree view cameras. Just make it possible to record it. It wouldn't take that much more.
    They do. At least some of em do. Got my wife a new Highlander and according to the owners manual it records video, speed and I believe other info from on board sensors (i.e, pitch, yaw, etc). I can't access the data but Toyota can (remotely) and they will release it under court order. It's just the front facing camera used for lane detection and adapative cruise.

  33. #33
    newracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Timnath, CO
    Member #
    10010
    Images
    29
    I am getting my Cobra replaced under warranty so I'll have the newer version soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    vb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    montrose
    Member #
    1190
    Images
    29
    Which cobra? , and do you like it?

  35. #35
    newracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Timnath, CO
    Member #
    10010
    Images
    29
    I had the CDR 840. It was fine except sometimes the shock sensor would be over sensitive and it would fill up the SD card with protected files.

    They are sending me a CDR 875 G to replace it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    Well, I tried to pull some footage and it seems that my black box camera stopped recording months ago. The SD card isn't even full and the black anodized face had faded to a bright rust color. The internal battery doesn't seem to recall settings any more so the date is lost on power cycle.

    Going to pass on buying another, I might get a nice expensive one for the car though.

    Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    vb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    montrose
    Member #
    1190
    Images
    29
    And i still hve not bought one simply because most seem to have similar reviews as wulf

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    And i still hve not bought one simply because most seem to have similar reviews as wulf
    they seem to have better reviews on the $125+ range, which is steep but I imagine could save you a lot of money if it proves you aren't at fault in an accident.

    I've already had a few close calls in the car so I think I'm going to end up buying a nicer one

    Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    My capacitor black box is still doing great. The ones with a battery in them don't do very well.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man View Post
    My capacitor black box is still doing great. The ones with a battery in them don't do very well.
    I have the capacitor model as well :/

    Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •