Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360

    Toy Hauler Generator recommendations?

    I finally pulled the trigger on a new toyhauler. It's a 2017 Palomino Puma XLE 24FBC (http://www.palominorv.com/brochures/...LEbrochure.pdf) loaded with pretty much every option. The only thing it doesn't come with is a generator, so I need to buy that separately. I have a 15,000 btu AC system. I want to be able to run that as well as (reasonably) whatever else, such as a microwave, the wife's sewing machine, or something of the like. Quiet is important to me, as is a remote start option. What do you recommend? I have one I'm eyeballing, but I don't want to bias suggestions here.

    In case you're curious, I went with this model since my tow vehicle is a Ford Raptor, and I'm limited to 8,000 pounds GVW due to the soft suspension (it's supercharged, I have power for days). This was nearly the only model I could find that had my three deal breakers - front walk around bedroom, 8,000 GVW, and a fuel station. The plus - I was expecting to buy used and I can afford this one brand new built to specifications.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    Honda Generators. My co-worker has this exact model he purchased 19 years ago. He never uses the one on his toyhaulers, and prefers this.

    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Honda-3-000...FQQcaQod5_4Lgw

    His recommendation turned me on to this:

    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Honda-3000-...FQYpaQodmu0CgA

    It powers out trailer no problem. For you, I would look at the first link since it has higher peak output.

    03 Rubicon TJ, needs work.
    https://m.facebook.com/ClownsInc

  3. #3
    That ^. Parents run the Honda and its way quiet.
    Just boogie

  4. #4
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    Honda Generators. My co-worker has this exact model he purchased 19 years ago. He never uses the one on his toyhaulers, and prefers this.

    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Honda-3-000...FQQcaQod5_4Lgw

    His recommendation turned me on to this:

    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Honda-3000-...FQYpaQodmu0CgA

    It powers out trailer no problem. For you, I would look at the first link since it has higher peak output.

    What size AC do you have? Can you run the microwave and AC together?

  5. #5
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    This is the generator I have been looking at:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/auto-...F104356980.uts

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    You know Dane, I have never tried to run the AC and Microwave at the same time. I think my AC is smaller than yours, 13.5 BTU, but I could be mistaken. It keeps the camper cool in 88* weather nicely.

    My Honda 3000 Handi is not as high output as the unit I linked, but for the price I could not pass it up (brand new, 1600.00).

    Another thing that was pointed out to me is reviews. Generac makes great commercial generators, however the lower line portable stuff is junk. This really came into play this year for us in northern NM in the spring. For some reason, our furnace didn't want to work or it could have been operator error (probably just that) and lucky for us, we had a generator that could run all night reliably and run some cheap portable electric heaters to keep the chill down. We were 22 miles in the back country and leaving in the middle of the night to warm up would not have been ordeal. That Honda ran like a top.

    So the point I am trying to make, and I am sure you have done the research on these generators. I personally like the features of the Champion brand. The lighter weight, handle and wheels, extra power output might just be what your looking for at a very good price.

  7. #7
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    You know Dane, I have never tried to run the AC and Microwave at the same time. I think my AC is smaller than yours, 13.5 BTU, but I could be mistaken. It keeps the camper cool in 88* weather nicely.

    My Honda 3000 Handi is not as high output as the unit I linked, but for the price I could not pass it up (brand new, 1600.00).

    Another thing that was pointed out to me is reviews. Generac makes great commercial generators, however the lower line portable stuff is junk. This really came into play this year for us in northern NM in the spring. For some reason, our furnace didn't want to work or it could have been operator error (probably just that) and lucky for us, we had a generator that could run all night reliably and run some cheap portable electric heaters to keep the chill down. We were 22 miles in the back country and leaving in the middle of the night to warm up would not have been ordeal. That Honda ran like a top.

    So the point I am trying to make, and I am sure you have done the research on these generators. I personally like the features of the Champion brand. The lighter weight, handle and wheels, extra power output might just be what your looking for at a very good price.
    I appreciate the info. From what I understand, Honda and Yamaha make great generators. I've been reading a lot of reviews and have found nearly no negative reviews of this Champion - in fact, quite a lot of good ones. In a perfect world I'd probably get the Yamaha 4500 - but at over three times the price it doesn't seem worth it. On the flip-side, from a high level this Lifan brand I've found looks perfect, but the reviews have been consistently bad - bad enough for me to rule it out. The Champion also has a remote start, which I have determined is a must have for me.

    Furnace-wise, I do have a question. I haven't owned an RV - just rented a few, and both of those furnaces actually ran on propane and the batteries without the need for the generator. Does yours require the generator to be running? It seems like that wouldn't work well at all in some situations where there are "quiet hours" to contend with and no hookups.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    I would buy that generator and service it per the manual. I have to run mine every 3 months or so for 15 min. Pretty easy for me to do. Use it all over. The remote start is kick ass feature.

    I don't know of any furnaces that need the gen on unless the battery needs to be charged. I would recommend a couple battery setup, with solar panels to help keep the batteries charged when storing and camping. I'm not much of a RV campground guy (glamping)..

    Good point on the quiet time even dry camping out in the middle of nowhere. I always make sure my batteries are charged before sundown. I can't stand when hunting, camping or anything else in the mountains and listening to a Home Depot special 5500 watt loud ass generator all night. We had an issue with a rather large party of people at Holy Cross one year.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Parker
    Member #
    19
    Images
    8
    As Chris said, the furnaces only require the gen to be running if the battery(ies) are dead. They can kill a battery fairly quickly though.

    I have the Yamaha EF3000ISEB and couldn't be happier with it.

  10. #10
    I got my 3100 inverter champion from Overstock with a coupon. It struggled to start my 13,500 btu on really hot days at high altitude but I added an extra start cap to the AC and it hasn't had a problem since. It is very quiet (although not as quiet as hondas but close) and has been super reliable. Run time is my only complaint:
    https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...2/product.html

    I don't think the 3100 would handle a 15k btu I would definitely step up to the higher power model.
    Overstock has a 20% off coupon right now so this looks to be a pretty good deal (of you spring for the remote start which I would recommend):
    https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...3/product.html
    ZR2:Warn Transformer, Warn SDB160 lights, Air Raid Intake, Hypertec Programmer, 31" BFG KM2's
    CJ7: 360-TH400, SOA w/D20 T-case F D44 & R Ford 9", Locked F/Spool R, 37" MT/R's w/ Rockstomper beadlocks, Custom GM TBI EFI - AutoProm and EBL

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    This is what I used to calculate what I needed. From what I seen on your TH, you gonna need something bigger than 3500 watts if you want to use the Microwave and AC at the same time.

    http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...age-calculator

    Just starting my 13.5 AC is 2800 watts and 1800 watts continuous. So to answer your question, no I cannot run my AC and MW at the same time. If and when we do a different camper, we would have to run two 3000W Honda generators in parallel to run everything, or just get a bigger one.

  12. #12
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    This is what I used to calculate what I needed. From what I seen on your TH, you gonna need something bigger than 3500 watts if you want to use the Microwave and AC at the same time.

    http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...age-calculator

    Just starting my 13.5 AC is 2800 watts and 1800 watts continuous. So to answer your question, no I cannot run my AC and MW at the same time. If and when we do a different camper, we would have to run two 3000W Honda generators in parallel to run everything, or just get a bigger one.
    Man, finding anything above 3,500 watts (that's still an inverter type) seems nearly impossible unless I want to spend $3K on a Yamaha (that doesn't even have remote start).

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneH View Post
    Man, finding anything above 3,500 watts (that's still an inverter type) seems nearly impossible unless I want to spend $3K on a Yamaha (that doesn't even have remote start).
    it starts getting very spendy. Do you have a spot on the TH for a generator? Sometimes looking for a good used Onan/Cummins generator out of a Class A coach can be affordable. One of my buddies in TX did that and stole one for 1750.00 about 8 years ago. He uses it all the mine.

  14. #14
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    it starts getting very spendy. Do you have a spot on the TH for a generator? Sometimes looking for a good used Onan/Cummins generator out of a Class A coach can be affordable. One of my buddies in TX did that and stole one for 1750.00 about 8 years ago. He uses it all the mine.
    Not that I know of - I won't actually get the TH until January-ish. It does have pass-through storage, but I'd rather keep that as storage. I was thinking of building a spot on the front tongue above the batteries to house a generator (portable inverter style). Perfect world would have been a built-in that runs off of the onboard fuel tank, but due to my other restrictions I wasn't able to find that.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    Kinda like this.

    http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5868292622.html

    http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5854353362.html

    http://boulder.craigslist.org/fod/5872978421.html

    Brand new for 2500.00

    http://boulder.craigslist.org/for/5849983991.html


    I would have gone this route if I had a compartment on my trailer. I have concidered moving my propane tanks up and putting a gen set like this on the tongue of my camper. When my Honda dies in 20 years, may just do that.

  16. #16
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    Kinda like this.

    http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5868292622.html

    http://denver.craigslist.org/for/5854353362.html

    http://boulder.craigslist.org/fod/5872978421.html

    Brand new for 2500.00

    http://boulder.craigslist.org/for/5849983991.html


    I would have gone this route if I had a compartment on my trailer. I have concidered moving my propane tanks up and putting a gen set like this on the tongue of my camper. When my Honda dies in 20 years, may just do that.
    That's definitely an idea!! Only thing is I need to figure out a remote start solution if I go that way.

    I shall start pondering.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    Only issue you might have is tongue weight. You are already at 775 lbs, and adding something like this could really overload the truck.

    This is the problem I was having on my Tundra. My capacity was maxed out.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    Most of those generators have start switches from inside the TH. Slick setup.

    When I did line work, we exclusively used Onan generators, they are worth every penny.

  19. #19
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    Only issue you might have is tongue weight. You are already at 775 lbs, and adding something like this could really overload the truck.

    This is the problem I was having on my Tundra. My capacity was maxed out.
    That's a good point as well. Ballpark idea what one of those weighs?

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    I think around 400 lbs.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    Nope, 279 lbs.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    If it were me and I had a pass through storage on my camper, the one side would have a tray that could slide out with the generator on it for servicing, use the other side for storage.

  23. #23
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    If it were me and I had a pass through storage on my camper, the one side would have a tray that could slide out with the generator on it for servicing, use the other side for storage.
    I'll research it. It's a good idea - though I'm not sure the flooring could take that weight of the slide out. That's a lot of leverage for lightweight flooring. I'm going to poke around and see if it's been done.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    I have seen the racks, and they are stout. The rack would have to be mounted to the framing of the camper, no doubt about that.

  25. #25
    tacotoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Westminster
    Member #
    6222
    Images
    8
    If you do mount it, make sure that you set up for enough draft intake air and the exhaust is set up correctly. Also make sure that it is separated from the rest of the trailer, no need for carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Onan's you can add an interior switches with 3-4 wires, depending on what indicators you want the setup to have. pretty easy for the wiring, and i still have most of the diagrams for those.
    hookers and blow!

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    What have you came up with Dane?

  27. #27
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    I'm going to try running that Champion. I've spoken to a few folks and heard good things. It's just shy of 100lbs versus the onboard ones (weight is a consideration with my setup). If I'm not happy with it down the road, I'll have to try something else. I don't pick up the RV until mid-January at the soonest, and probably won't even bother setting up the generator until Spring gets closer, so a true trial might be a ways out.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Member #
    6677
    Images
    12
    Keep us posted on how you like the Generator.

  29. #29
    Grumpy Ol Biker CLYDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    NORTHGLENN
    Member #
    3631
    Images
    48
    never noticed this thread. Gensets, come in two flavors, and I have been thru a bunch out at CORE. We are completely offgrid out there, so gens have powered the office since we opened. Consumer generators are wonderful, and cheap, IF you dont put a lot of hours on them. Typically I will use one up in a summers worth of running at the park, dont care if its briggs, or honda, or chinese crap, the engine makes it on season, and is pretty well toast after that. thats around 2500, to 3000 hours, depending on weather. We use them to power 1 fairly big old AC unit, and misc. I have also gone the commercial route, I had an Onan out of an RV that lasted me 3 years, and no telling how many hours it had when I started using it, that genset didnt actually die, it just started leaking oil to badly to use anymore, and I parked it in the roundtoit pile. This past fall I picked up a Kohler industrial 2 cylinder, it was from an RV, again unknown hours, but it will be the one I use out there this summer, found it on CL for 250.00. Runs like a champ, and amazingly quiet. downside is, its a 350lb generator. I expect to get a few years out of it tho.
    Tired of being tired.



    "I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    --Robert Heinlein

    PROUD PARENT OF A UNITED STATES MARINE!!! Sleep Well America, My Marine Has Got Your Back... Proud Parent of a Sailor, in the United States Navy.......

    Lunatic? just call me the duece

  30. #30
    DaneH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Member #
    28360
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    Keep us posted on how you like the Generator.
    I've pulled it out of the box and jetted it for high altitude. I see no point in filling it with fluids nor starting/breaking it in until Spring gets closer. Probably be a few months.

  31. #31
    tacotoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Westminster
    Member #
    6222
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
    never noticed this thread. Gensets, come in two flavors, and I have been thru a bunch out at CORE. We are completely offgrid out there, so gens have powered the office since we opened. Consumer generators are wonderful, and cheap, IF you dont put a lot of hours on them. Typically I will use one up in a summers worth of running at the park, dont care if its briggs, or honda, or chinese crap, the engine makes it on season, and is pretty well toast after that. thats around 2500, to 3000 hours, depending on weather. We use them to power 1 fairly big old AC unit, and misc. I have also gone the commercial route, I had an Onan out of an RV that lasted me 3 years, and no telling how many hours it had when I started using it, that genset didnt actually die, it just started leaking oil to badly to use anymore, and I parked it in the roundtoit pile. This past fall I picked up a Kohler industrial 2 cylinder, it was from an RV, again unknown hours, but it will be the one I use out there this summer, found it on CL for 250.00. Runs like a champ, and amazingly quiet. downside is, its a 350lb generator. I expect to get a few years out of it tho.
    i would take an onan over a kohler.... anything from the 2500 camp powers to the 8k/10k diesels are a pretty solid build, they really haven't changed much aside from fuel injection and some diesel upgrades.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •