Custom generator mount slide out

Mounting a generator is a common thing and there are production made mounts and trays and slide outs all over to be purchased. But wouldn't you know it, there were not any available made for or, even of the near to correct size, for where we wanted to mount ours in our 2008 ambulance. I guess there aren't too many people needing to install aftermarket generators onto ambulances... Here is a shot of the rig, nicknamed the OCU (Orange Crash Unit - check out it's FB page here- https://www.facebook.com/OrangeCrashUnit ):

The ambulance is our tailgating rig, and the generator will help power all those necessary tailgating items, such as crock pots, refrigerators, televisions, stereos, lights, sirens, PA, etc. But since we don't use the rig all the time, it would be nice to be able to keep the generator easily removable for use elsewhere. We also don't want to cut up some perfectly good dry storage, so we will need to make the generator slide out away from the rig for when it's parked. Figured we would usually need between 2500-3000 running watts during normal tailgating conditions. So we went for a Champion 4000 watt starting\ 3500 continuous running unit.

And picked out the storage compartment we wanted to use on the driver's side:

In order to make the generator slide out away from the ambulance enough, we will have to use a double slide, or an over extension slide. This means you will be able to extend the slides past the overall compressed length. We could order in just roller bearing slides that would handle the weight and extend far enough, but their cost and lead times were to great. So we ordered in some steel rollers, some sealed roller bearings, and planned to use some scrap metal out of our bin to complete the slides and the actual mount. Here are some of the steel rollers:

The sealed roller bearings:

Last edited by BruckerBrothers; November 14th, 2016 at 06:53 PM.
    Brucker Brothers, LTD
    Precision Metalwork-Stout Fabrication-Elegant Design
    Longmont, CO 720-235-9485
    [URL="www.BruckerBrothersLTD.com"]www.BruckerBrothersLTD.com[/URL]

Started by cutting up some scrap and welding it together to make the base of the mount.

And mounted them into the storage compartment using the existing uni-strut.

Then get to work on the main slide body:

And went to work designing/fabricating the inner slide assembly. First with machining these 4 mounts:

Then making the slides:

And then made the front and back to finish out the inner slide assembly:

Mounted the slide assemblies to the generator, and the slide the assemblies into their mounts. Turned out nice, and works just like we wanted.

Made it fit inside the compartment with no room to spare so that it firmly secured can not wiggle while driving.

Still need to add a couple things, like a pair of stops for the secondary slides and then paint it. We will also be adding a custom exhaust pipe, but those will have to wait for this weekend.
    Last edited by BruckerBrothers; November 14th, 2016 at 02:02 PM.

Member #
    Images
    a) Nice dimpled speed holes - seriously, nice touch.

b) Good work putting these vertical on the sides - I would have tried to do something goofy by putting these slides on the bottom as a big horizontal tray, putting huge leverage on everything. Very smart setup!
    Making progress on the big build.

Member #
    Images
    Wow! Very Cool! Nicely done, as usual!
    - Steven

Member #
    Images
    Aaron, you've gotta be tired of seeing me post this but it's the truth: Amazing work
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trango View Post
    a) Nice dimpled speed holes - seriously, nice touch.

b) Good work putting these vertical on the sides - I would have tried to do something goofy by putting these slides on the bottom as a big horizontal tray, putting huge leverage on everything. Very smart setup!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Mc View Post
    Wow! Very Cool! Nicely done, as usual!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheftyler View Post
    Aaron, you've gotta be tired of seeing me post this but it's the truth: Amazing work
    Thank you for the kind words

Spent a little more time on this as well this weekend. Originally we were just going to remove and paint the assembly and the install for the final time. But there were some complaints about the removal of the door latch pull handle. It needed to be removed for clearance. You could still use the normal latch but had to reach in a tight area to do so. So we decided to redo the front plate and make room for the easy pull setup. Here is the latch in question with the extra pull handle attached:

We removed the front plate and got to work modifying it:

And with the new plate installed :

And with the pull handle installed:

Final look before paint:

And it comes out easily for anytime it is needed elsewhere:

Final install after paint:

Damn nice job!

Everytime I follow your fab projects I want to just spend time at your shop just to learn.
    2006 WK 5.7 Hemi

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by longboy View Post
    Damn nice job!

Everytime I follow your fab projects I want to just spend time at your shop just to learn.
    This. Same here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by longboy View Post
    Damn nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Mc View Post
    This. Same here!

Thank you for the kind words.

Ya'll (at least Austin does for sure) know where the shop is, come on by. You should be careful as I may put you to work

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Ya'll (at least Austin does for sure) know where the shop is, come on by. You should be careful as I may put you to work
    I'd be looking at a paid internship if you did that. I'm off on most Mondays!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thank you for the kind words.

I'll have to do that at some point. Happy to be a gopher, just to learn a thing or two!

Speed holes for a gen mount...only you Aaron! Nice job as always and as Trango said, I would have put it on the bottom...lame!
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    Thanks for the kind words