Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images

Anyone on here a hot shot/auto transport or know of a good reputable company?

As the title states. Looking for 3 ambulances to be transported from 65583 to 80501. Would be awesome to have them come at once but multiple loads may be alright as well. Looking to get this done soon.

Thanks in advance!

Have a number I can give my guy?
    Just boogie

Member #
    Images
    sure same as the shop, 720-235-9485. Name is Aaron Brucker. If I don't answer I am on the other line and will return a message as soon as I am able.

Copy. Oilfield buddy does hotshot runs. Sent him info.

Member #
    Images
    Thanks

I guess all three are actually ready as of now. Been waiting on them for over a year now. Then all of a sudden, they are ready to release all three at once, right now. Kinda caught me off guard.
    Last edited by Aaron; July 5th, 2016 at 03:37 PM.

Member #
    I have a guy as well, I'll check, but I think he's immediately available.

Member #
    Images
    Ok, now that you have two leads...
    Whatcha doin with 3 ambulances Aaron?
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneH View Post
    I have a guy as well, I'll check, but I think he's immediately available.
    Thanks! Any leads I get will be a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by cheftyler View Post
    Ok, now that you have two leads...
    Whatcha doin with 3 ambulances Aaron?
    Only 2 actually. One is going to my buddy who hooked me up with them. He will use it as a work truck and as our ultimate tailgating vehicle. He, CrashXJ, and myself have Broncos season tickets together and tailgate before every game. Guess we are setting it up a notch again this year.

The two for me are still in the planning phases. One may be sold to pay off the others, but final goal is a 4x4 with SAS conversion for a couple sick overland rigs.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks! Any leads I get will be a huge help.

Only 2 actually. One is going to my buddy who hooked me up with them. He will use it as a work truck and as our ultimate tailgating vehicle. He, CrashXJ, and myself have Broncos season tickets together and tailgate before every game. Guess we are setting it up a notch again this year.

The two for me are still in the planning phases. One may be sold to pay off the others, but final goal is a 4x4 with SAS conversion for a couple sick overland rigs.

Member #
    Images
    Big thanks to all who had people reach out to me. Great response thus far. But wow, the quotations are all over the place. I realize that this needs to be done in multiple loads as only 2 of the ambulances would fit onto the longest legal semi trailer. But some quotes differ by almost $1000 per vehicle. I know it is probably a guy with a one ton and a gooseneck verses a big company with lots of different trucks in different locals. But wow.

With fuel costs down, it would only cost me about $600 in fuel round trip (being generous with an avg 11 mpg which is 4 mpg under the worse mileage I have ever gotten while towing in my truck over the passes fully loaded), but I could only get one at a time then. And that means 3 trips at 2-3 day each. Doesn't sound like a fun week...

Member #
    Images
    Call Cyril on the board, or Trailbud. He schedules auto transport. I will PM you the number.
    03 Rubicon TJ, needs work.
    https://m.facebook.com/ClownsInc

Member #
    Images
    Big thanks to all who had people reach out to me. Great response thus far. But wow, the quotations are all over the place. I realize that this needs to be done in multiple loads as only 2 of the ambulances would fit onto the longest legal semi trailer. But some quotes differ by almost $1000 per vehicle. I know it is probably a guy with a one ton and a gooseneck verses a big company with lots of different trucks in different locals. But wow.

With fuel costs down, it would only cost me about $600 in fuel round trip (being generous with an avg 11 mpg which is 4 mpg under the worse mileage I have ever gotten while towing in my truck over the passes fully loaded), but I could only get one at a time then. And that means 3 trips at 2-3 day each. Doesn't sound like a fun week...
    Do they run?
    Buy me a 1 way ticket, pay for gas and I'll drive 1 back for you.

Member #
    Images
    Do they run?
    Buy me a 1 way ticket, pay for gas and I'll drive 1 back for you.
    x2....
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    x2....
    Hell between the three of us, we can race back

Member #
    Images
    I think I have seen this movie before...does someone need a sidekick a la the late great Dom D?

This is my boom stick.

Member #
    Images
    Lol, thanks for the offers fellas! But I can not condone racing through Kansas, at least not anymore. One ticket for 157mph in a 70 was bad enough...

We actually had a crew that was willing to drive them back. But some issues are popping up, like 2 don't have working AC, and one has a governor on it.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crashXJ View Post
    I think I have seen this movie before...does someone need a sidekick a la the late great Dom D?

Member #
    Images
    Huge thanks again for all the replies and suggestions! Got a lot more quotes to day. Dang some are downright CHEAP! And they are from reputable nationwide companies with good reviews. Just what I was hoping for. In fact two came back at about what it would cost me to fly myself and two others out there, including a couple nights in a hotel and food/fuel.

In fact two came back at about what it would cost me to fly myself and two others out there, including a couple nights in a hotel and food/fuel.
    I was surprised how cheap I was able to get my Typhoon shipped from SLC to Denver through uship.com. Granted it was a much smaller vehicle, but it was about the same as fuel out there and back in my truck and a night in a sleazy motel.
    www.staythetrail.org

Member #
    Images
    Huge thanks again for all the replies and suggestions! Got a lot more quotes to day. Dang some are downright CHEAP! And they are from reputable nationwide companies with good reviews. Just what I was hoping for. In fact two came back at about what it would cost me to fly myself and two others out there, including a couple nights in a hotel and food/fuel.
    Great to hear.

Bostonbob on here also hotshots. Forgot about that.

Member #
    Images
    AWWW yeah!

oh man i got to the bottom of the thread, no cannonball

No pics? Fail.
    Martin (AKA Zapp Branigan) KillBot (Retired)
    "I am the Man With No Name - Zapp Branigan!"
    2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT

Member #
    Images
    Lol, thanks for the offers fellas! But I can not condone racing through Kansas, at least not anymore. One ticket for 157mph in a 70 was bad enough...

We actually had a crew that was willing to drive them back. But some issues are popping up, like 2 don't have working AC, and one has a governor on it.
    Working AC? 10# bag of ice and the winders down.
    Governor? Pass.

AWWW yeah!

oh man i got to the bottom of the thread, no cannonball
    Aaron's being a spoilsport...

Member #
    These should be here by now right?
    95 ZJ, Lift, dents, and noise.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    These should be here by now right?
    Yup. Two arrived a couple weekends ago after some difficulties. More are supposed to be coming but we need to figure out some other things first.

We used a broker as it was the best price and least amount of headache as we didn't have to deal with all the little details. First shipment had a couple issues. First and foremost was the transportation company that was used ended up dropping one of the ambulances off the trailer while in traffic. They only used straps to secure a #13000 vehicle to the trailer instead of chains, and the straps failed within 3 blocks of loading. This caused a small accident with another vehicle, totaling the vehicle the ambulance hit and giving the ambulance some decent damage. Needless to say, this event slowed the process some. But we do have 2 ambulances here in CO now. One is already being transformed into our ultimate tailgating rig, while the other is sitting in front of my house looking sad with it's damage.

Member #
    Images
    So here is the accident story as I have been told:

Our contact for the ambulances in MO sent me this photo a couple weeks ago stating that the first of two ambulances being picked up that day was loaded and ready and that they were heading from the storage lot to the fire station to load the other.

Seeing this message, I assumed everything was on track and I went about my life, attending a wedding. After the wedding I turned on my phone to reveal many missed calls and messages. My contact was frantic in most of the messages saying that there was an accident and to call them asap. So I did just that. He said that the truck driver had loaded the first one and that he was going to follow my contact over to the station to load the other. My contact was driving ahead of the semi, and pulled out onto the road and started up the hill. The semi pulled out behind him and he could easily see the ambulance sticking out above semi. When he reached the top of the hill he noticed that he couldn't see the ambulance anymore. He stopped and got out just in time to see the wreck...

The woman driving the ford that was hit was fine though shaken, but the ford was totaled. And the truck driver was crying like a baby the entire time. He tears weren't in vain though as he ended up getting fined, ticketed, and eventually fired.

They got the mess cleaned up and loaded on with a different driver but same company. This upset me as it was the same transportation company, but it worked out well in the end. Both ambulances arrived without anymore issues. And we are awaiting an insurance check.

Off loading the damaged one was fun. Took my forklift and my dodge tow rig both to unload it as it didn't drive or have brakes after the accident. Nothing like chaining the front to the dodge for brakes and chaining the forklift to the rear for the steering/drive power.

Here is the damaged ambulance:

And our good one:

All in all, I couldn't be happier. Yes, one is damaged and will need repair. But we finally have our ultimate tailgating rig and the Broncos' season starts in just a few short weeks! And once the insurance is figured out, we might be bringing a few more into town.
    Last edited by Aaron; August 3rd, 2016 at 11:12 AM.

Wow, that must've been scary for the driver of the Ford!

What happened that caused the ambulance to lose its brakes??

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Wow, that must've been scary for the driver of the Ford!

What happened that caused the ambulance to lose its brakes??
    She said she saw the ambulance come off. She had come to a complete stop before the ambulance had hit her. The ambulance hit her hard enough to push the Ford back down the hill a pretty decent distance. Check out this photo:

You will notice the semi back up the hill. The second small collection of parts (first is from the ambulance hitting the ground) directly behind it is where they first hit. Then you will see tire marks in a slight arc. These are from the Ford. She had her brakes on the entire time.

The ambulance had a brake line sheared. Guessing from one of the aluminum ramps that came loose and went with the ambulance for a short ways. There were two sets of aluminum ramps on the trailer at the time. 3 of the 4 ramps were destroyed.

FYI- The woman is fine. She laughs about it now. And the trucking company paid her a handsome sum for her troubles.
    Last edited by Aaron; August 3rd, 2016 at 12:11 PM.

Member #
    Images
    Here is what their local paper reported:

SAINT ROBERT, Mo. (July 16, 2016) -- Emergency personnel are cleaning up debris on Old Route 66 by JH Williamson Drive near the Tiger Typhoon Aquatic Center in St. Robert, but the ambulance they're cleaning up isn't a typical crash. ‪#‎PulaskiCountyMo‬ ‪#‎PulaskiCountyMoMVA‬ ‪#‎SaintRobertMo‬

According to Pulaski County Ambulance District Director Mikel Hartness, the vehicle fell off the back of a transport truck. It wasn't transporting patients or otherwise used by the ambulance district, and had been sold to a private individual who had planned to use the ambulance for "parting out," in other words, disassembly and resale of its components.

"Let everybody know it no longer belongs to Pulaski County Ambulance District," Hartness said.

St. Robert firefighters are currently on the scene of the incident along with law enforcement personnel. No injuries were reported when the ambulance came loose from the truck transporting it.

The ambulance had a brake line sheared. Guessing from one of the aluminum ramps that came loose and went with the ambulance for a short ways. There were two sets of aluminum ramps on the trailer at the time. 3 of the 4 ramps were destroyed.
    Gotcha, that makes sense. I hadn't thought about the ramps on the truck and the damage they could do under there.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Gotcha, that makes sense. I hadn't thought about the ramps on the truck and the damage they could do under there.
    It's amazing the amount of damage that can be caused by dropping #13000 three and a half feet off the back of a trailer. But when you add in the 'running' start it had just from before coming off of the trailer, not only would that have been a sight to see, but I am surprised at how little of damage there actually is to the ambulance. That thing is a freaking tank!

And the truck driver was crying like a baby the entire time. He tears weren't in vain though as he ended up getting fined, ticketed, and eventually fired.

So are you painting it Orange and Blue?

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post

So are you painting it Orange and Blue?
    Don't have to. The ambulances are already the right colors

The tailgating rig is getting stripped of the vinyl lettering and emergency symbols. Then we are going to be adding some Broncos logo in vinyl, kinda like Fatheads. Here is a photo of the tailgating rig after the lettering/symbols have been stripped. Only one logo was added thus far. But we are having a work day on it this coming weekend!

That's awesome. Carry on.

Do the emergency lights still work? If they do, can you use them in the parking lot without attracting the wrong kind of attention?

This is a very cool idea. Looking forward to this being completed.

Front Dana 60 and a transfer case under the other one for a severe duty expedition rig???
    '96 Grand Cherokee with stuff done to it.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Do the emergency lights still work? If they do, can you use them in the parking lot without attracting the wrong kind of attention?

Front Dana 60 and a transfer case under the other one for a severe duty expedition rig???
    Change the bulb colors out and get blue and orange??

Member #
    Images
    I think he could get away with the blue lights as long as they face to the side or back.

42-4-238. Blue and red lights - illegal use or possession

(1) A person shall not be in actual physical control of a vehicle, except an authorized emergency vehicle as defined in section 42-1-102 (6), that the person knows contains a lamp or device that is designed to display, or that is capable of displaying if affixed or attached to the vehicle, a red or blue light visible directly in front of the center of the vehicle.

(2) It shall be an affirmative defense that the defendant was:

(a) A peace officer as described in section 16-2.5-101, C.R.S.; or

(b) In actual physical control of a vehicle expressly authorized by a chief of police or sheriff to contain a lamp or device that is designed to display, or that is capable of displaying if affixed or attached to the vehicle, a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center of the vehicle; or

(c) A member of a volunteer fire department or a volunteer ambulance service who possesses a permit from the fire chief of the fire department or chief executive officer of the ambulance service through which the volunteer serves to operate a vehicle pursuant to section 42-4-222 (1) (b); or

(d) A vendor who exhibits, sells, or offers for sale a lamp or device designed to display, or that is capable of displaying, if affixed or attached to the vehicle, a red or blue light; or

(e) A collector of fire engines, fire suppression vehicles, or ambulances and the vehicle to which the red or blue lamps were affixed is valued for the vehicle's historical interest or as a collector's item.

(3) A violation of this section is a class 1 misdemeanor.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    sounds like he is a collector lol

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post

Everything on the tailgating rig is fully functional. The night it was delivered to my buddy's house he was VERY excited. He loaded up his family and made multiple trips around his 'hood. He texted me bragging about that and the fact he was "lighting up the neighborhood and rocking his house with the PA". Not less than 10 minutes later I received this text: "Cops just left here. They love the new ambulance but not the siren or the PA... LOL, I thought I was so busted." So I am sure that the systems will be "tested" in the parking lot while 'gating once or twice. But also know we don't need anymore tickets...

As for the expo rig conversion, yes and no. To be honest, originally this was why I was bringing them all in. I was getting a decent deal on a few rigs that would make great starting platforms. But that is when I was told that they were on 1 ton chassis. These are the Chevy Kodiak c4500 chassis. I don't feel comfortable with a one ton front end under them. Thoughts have been thrown around about going with Rockwells or Axletechs... But I am still undecided.

Change the bulb colors out and get blue and orange??
    We are still deciding on that. My guess is that we will change them out, but maybe not right away or even this season.

sounds like he is a collector lol
    Does hoarder count?
    Last edited by Aaron; August 5th, 2016 at 11:50 AM.

Member #
    Images
    Thinking I may have to start an actual build thread for the tailgating rig. It is starting to come together, and there are so many more coming for it to really make it our ultimate tailgating rig. Had a work day on it yesterday that got cut short due to the weather. But we were able to get the majority of the gear loaded onto the rig (gas stove, gas grill, BBQ supplies, propane tanks, pop up tents, tables, chairs, games, etc) and the majority of the decals are on and plan out the rest of it. We kept a lot of the interior as is but cleaned it with a bleach solution really well for now being as we are short on time. But we will be added a fridge 2 televisions(one for inside and one for outside), bar stocked with liquor, and an old Donkey Kong arcade game. Here are a few photos of it as it sits now:

Last edited by Aaron; August 8th, 2016 at 12:32 PM.