Member #

Junkyard 50" SXS Build

I got this 1985 EZGO Marathon a couple weeks ago. It was almost free and its got an all metal body so I couldn't resist.

Someone hacked the driver frame rail under the seat to accommodate a larger snowmobile engine at some point, they also Lincoln locked the spider gears in the rear end haha. Needless to say this cart has had a rough life.

20160424_150312 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160507_155034 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160507_155059 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

At first I was thinking about doing a diy lift and atv tires, tossing a motor in it and running it around my dads property.
    Then I got to looking at his 05 Arctic Cat 500 sitting next to it, the proportions matched up pretty good width wise on the front end so I got to looking around online and sure enough someone has been down this road before, I found these pictures of a guy that used Polaris Predator 500 parts on this cart.

FB_IMG_1462194682773 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1462194705808 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

FB_IMG_1462194693799 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Cool but would be a lot cooler with 4x4 and reverse. I think the ideal donor atv would be a 4x4 with solid axle rear with chain drive so I could easily gear it down for more tq.
    Maybe a Yamaha Wolverine or Polaris Scrambler, they seem to have lots of aftermarket support and more front end travel then your average 4x4 quad.

One of my main questions to you power sports guru's is will the mono shock in the rear flex decent? I would like to take it places like Eagle Rock/Baldy, Gulches, Chinamans Gulch stuff like that. Ive never owned an atv with a solid rear axle so I'm not sure what to expect from the mono shock rear end.
    197? DJ-5 LHD & 4wd

Member #
    Images
    I can't see how you could have a chain drive and flex. Chain needs to stay 'in plane', and twist would cause major misalignment.

Sent from my HAL 9000 using Tapatalk
    Jon, AKA The Man With The Plan, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Illegitimi non Carborundum = "Don't let the bastards get you down" Micris Fidelis="Faithful to small things" And it's an anagram...I'll let you figure it out

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man With The Plan View Post
    I can't see how you could have a chain drive and flex. Chain needs to stay 'in plane', and twist would cause major misalignment.

Sent from my HAL 9000 using Tapatalk
    Flex is probably the wrong word, I realize the rear end wont articulate like a suspension with 2 springs. Like you said the sprockets need to be in line for the chain to be happy doing its thing.
    I guess what I'm asking is do you think I'm crazy for thinking this rear suspension design will go places like Eagle Rock or Hackett? I'm wondering if I would constantly be lifting a tire/getting stuck due to the lack of articulation out back.

Go ride a sport quad through one of those trails and you will get an idea of the throttle/bounce through technique. Fun on a sport quad, but extra work. I think it would suck in a 2 seat larger heavy application. IRS and IFS is used to keep wheels on the ground and maintain traction . You would be building something more for dirt roads, sand, and non rocky trails with chain driven straight axle. I beat the piss out of my sport quads on rocky trails when i owned them.

Member #
    Images
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Impaired View Post
    Go ride a sport quad through one of those trails and you will get an idea of the throttle/bounce through technique. Fun on a sport quad, but extra work. I think it would suck in a 2 seat larger heavy application. IRS and IFS is used to keep wheels on the ground and maintain traction . You would be building something more for dirt roads, sand, and non rocky trails with chain driven straight axle. I beat the piss out of my sport quads on rocky trails when i owned them.
    Thanks for the input, that's what I was worried about. I figure the golf cart would be at least 2x the weight of the atv fully loaded so a regear would really help, that thinking led me to chain drive, easy to swap sprockets.

I could always use an atv with IRS, my dads 05 Arctic Cat 500 would work perfect, IFS/IRS, select able 4x4, locking front diff, adjustable coils on all 4 corners.. but that ups the cost of the parts bike a bunch. You can get a Polaris ACE for around 5K so I figure this isn't worth doing if I have more then about half that in it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheftyler View Post
    That's pretty awesome, 2 demerits for not rolling smoke in that video though. People online putting 25hp Honda clones in golf carts say the steering gets pretty sketchy around 35-40mph. I'm sure that thing is terrifying haha.

Member #
    Lincoln locked you won't have a problem with a swing arm rear traction wise. I have a 98 Foreman 450 with a swing arm rear, it's spooled rear and never hurts for traction. What does suck is tippyness, when you drop a front tire into a hole it has to pivot about the same side rear tire... A IFS rear is much less tippy.