View Poll Results: Why does this thread keep going?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's not facebook

12 34.29%
  • My mom taught me if I can't tweet something nice, I shouldn't tweet at all

4 11.43%
  • It's still fun to hijack threads

8 22.86%
  • It's a good place to feel better about yourself when reading the crap other people are dealing with

10 28.57%
  • The ownage pics by John and Shaun

7 20.00%
  • It's better than the political crap in GCC

6 17.14%
  • The roller coaster adventures of Ian's romantic interludes

9 25.71%
  • No one knows I lurk here to see if you guys are talking about me

12 34.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1337 of 1582 FirstFirst ... 33783712371287132713351336133713381339134713871437 ... LastLast
Results 53,441 to 53,480 of 63266
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    On #2

He seemed just as surprised as me when I asked so maybe it was someone from the city
    Sounds like you've been gifted a ladder

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So the city of Denver requires you to leave an open liability nightmare attached to the front of your house for a prolonged period because they would rather trust the work of an unknown fly by night contractor than train their "professional" how to set up a ladder?

Sounds like common sense legislation from a competent government, I'm glad front range voters get to choose the leadership of the entire state :fingers:
    Last edited by noahfecks; November 16th, 2018 at 09:40 PM.
    "The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them" George Orwell

I for one am in support of common sense ladder control. Ladders with more than 15 rungs should require special training and registration

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
    So the city of Denver requires you to leave an open liability nightmare attached to the front of your house for a prolonged period because they would rather trust the work of an unknown fly by night contractor than train their "professional" how to set up a ladder?

Sounds like common sense legislation from a competent government, I'm glad front range voters get to choose the leadership of the entire state :fingers:
    Go run for office Homie... If you want the whole list of dumbass rules, this thread will get shut down a 2nd time due to file size. That's beside any point relevant to Jake's victim drama here... It's been called out before...I do have to like the fact that there is empathy to those who are forced have dangerous ladders secured to their houses for city inspectors....

Must be the contractors ladder, my cousin says they are required to provide one for the city inspector. Shitty they did not notify me at all about that.
    Shitty they didn't notify you or shitty you didn't call and ask before angle grinder justice? lulz....

Yeah, you're right.... Shitty contractor. Probably didn't make it a priority to have lengthy conversations about every mundane detail that their day involves and should have never assumed his customer might be able to put those puzzle pieces together. Again, they mis-judged their client.

Fortunately, I don't advertise and only do referral work and I interview the client tougher than they interview me.... That's the biggest flaw with apps like Nextdoor, Angie's list, (and others), etc... It's all about either praising or trashing a contractor. What if the client was the dickhead? Trust me, it happens OFTEN and I'm usually blessed enough to smell out those situations and avoid those (sometimes big money) jobs. If you're good, you can usually avoid the high-maintenance, unrealistic expectation, irrational, hand holding crowd. You cannot avoid them all though as some of them have learned tactics to escape the PITA radar.... Contractors should start giving customer reviews for other contractors to decide to avoid them as clients.

I could get past a client cutting my cable lock off of a ladder from their house I just roofed , but there would be an ear-full going that direction. I'd probably post on a forum that it was shitty for him to cut my cable lock off WITHOUT CALLING TO ASK ME..... and then I'd probably poke some fun at them.

Seriously Jake, WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    Go run for office Homie... If you want the whole list of dumbass rules, this thread will get shut down a 2nd time due to file size. That's beside any point relevant to Jake's victim drama here... It's been called out before...I do have to like the fact that there is empathy to those who are forced have dangerous ladders secured to their houses for city inspectors....

Shitty they didn't notify you or shitty you didn't call and ask before angle grinder justice? lulz....

Yeah, you're right.... Shitty contractor. Probably didn't make it a priority to have lengthy conversations about every mundane detail that their day involves and should have never assumed his customer might be able to put those puzzle pieces together. Again, they mis-judged their client.

Fortunately, I don't advertise and only do referral work and I interview the client tougher than they interview me.... That's the biggest flaw with apps like Nextdoor, Angie's list, (and others), etc... It's all about either praising or trashing a contractor. What if the client was the dickhead? Trust me, it happens OFTEN and I'm usually blessed enough to smell out those situations and avoid those (sometimes big money) jobs. If you're good, you can usually avoid the high-maintenance, unrealistic expectation, irrational, hand holding crowd. You cannot avoid them all though as some of them have learned tactics to escape the PITA radar.... Contractors should start giving customer reviews for other contractors to decide to avoid them as clients.

I could get past a client cutting my cable lock off of a ladder from their house I just roofed , but there would be an ear-full going that direction. I'd probably post on a forum that it was shitty for him to cut my cable lock off WITHOUT CALLING TO ASK ME..... and then I'd probably poke some fun at them.

Seriously Jake, WTF.
    House was roofed over a month ago, contractor never returned my calls or text, and the ladder was in the way

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    break, fix, repeat

I'll go be a victim somewhere else now

Member #
    Images
    When our roof was done... We were definitely informed about a random ladder showing up for inspection... It's a 2 second text, or 10 second phone call. Nice to be kept "in the know" when you are paying someone to do a job thoroughly on your home. Just my $0.02.

~Una
    "dn ǝps ʎuɥs ǝɥʇ dǝǝʞ"

Member #
    House was roofed over a month ago, contractor never returned my calls or text, and the ladder was in the way

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    - Yup, final inspections are often out quite a bit.
    - The whole "didn't return calls / texts" is something new you added, imo in defense of your actions.
    - "ladder in the way" ??? you just said you didn't know about the requirement until your cousin told you.... You had already mentioned having a contractor doing work but had no idea of this mystery ladder attached to your house so you cut his "bullshit" cable lock off.

Your whole story made for good drama for the right listeners, as you took and posted pics of a ladder and cable lock.... but you absolutely knew the source of the ladder and wanted to make an event of it.

Congrats and well done my friend. You accomplished it.

If your contractor was a POS, maybe you post more about that as opposed to an inconvenient location he/she selected for the city inspector ladder placement, or not knowing from where this mystery ladder appeared.

Your contractor probably had someone place the ladder and a call to him/her would have been a better action than the angle grinder justice / plea ignorance to this mysterious event course you took.

- Yup, final inspections are often out quite a bit.
    - The whole "didn't return calls / texts" is something new you added, imo in defense of your actions.
    - "ladder in the way" ??? you just said you didn't know about the requirement until your cousin told you.... You had already mentioned having a contractor doing work but had no idea of this mystery ladder attached to your house so you cut his "bullshit" cable lock off.

Your whole story made for good drama for the right listeners, as you took and posted pics of a ladder and cable lock.... but you absolutely knew the source of the ladder and wanted to make an event of it.

Congrats and well done my friend. You accomplished it.

If your contractor was a POS, maybe you post more about that as opposed to an inconvenient location he/she selected for the city inspector ladder placement, or not knowing from where this mystery ladder appeared.

Your contractor probably had someone place the ladder and a call to him/her would have been a better action than the angle grinder justice / plea ignorance to this mysterious event course you took.
    I tried to contact him yesterday and today. I did not know that it was for inspection and was under the impression that it had already been done. The roof was done over a month ago and I had already received and paid the final invoice.

Sorry that you think I am here to be a drama monger and play the victim. Just trying to vent frustrations that may or may not be rational. I don't have any of the experience or wisdom that y'all have and I'm trying to grow up like 10 years late and figure it out as I go. it's totally fair to call me out on shit.

Member #
    I'll go be a victim somewhere else now
    Whatever you want Homie... I've taken a break before, for my own time management and reasons / members undisclosed... Might do it again soon (to everyone's relief)

I like you Jake and I'm not trying to insult you. As a General Contractor, it hit against the grain a bit because I do know you are a very smart guy and I don't believe you are one who would require baby-sitting. You knew the source of the mystery ladder.

I'm probably a little more course right now on the subject as watching some folks I know have to fire their clients..... as well as I've walked away from some.

Just don't make everything out to be a 1-way street. It's give and go. I could be wrong but I'm guessing your contractor would like the same. I know I would in that position. Against the grain; With the grain... sometimes No grain can be the best way to the destination.

Member #
    Lighten up Francis

Rex we all know you are very good at what you do

I find it VERY hard to believe that you would have someone show up at random more than a month after a job without informing the home owner. I find it even more difficult to believe that you would not respond to a homeowner who reached out to find out if the ladder was yours. You are successful because you are professional, clearly this roofer is not of the the same caliber as you.

I am sure you deal with many stoopid rules as the result of regulation and I have no doubt you could write a book. This particular rule is pretty ridiculous.

Member #
    Sorry that you think I am here to be a drama monger and play the victim.
    Dude, I don't think you are here for those reasons... There have been a couple of instances where the majority opinion has been that you fell into one of those ruts, but you find your way out quickly.

I'm just OK being the unpopular guy and would rather you not fall back into one of those.

Sh!t it's pretty clear I only know life as being the unpopular guy

Member #
    Rex we all know you are very good at what you do

I find it VERY hard to believe that you would have someone show up at random more than a month after a job without informing the home owner. I find it even more difficult to believe that you would not respond to a homeowner who reached out to find out if the ladder was yours. You are successful because you are professional, clearly this roofer is not of the the same caliber as you.

I am sure you deal with many stoopid rules as the result of regulation and I have no doubt you could write a book. This particular rule is pretty ridiculous.
    Didn't say the rule wasn't ridiculous... I'm not a roofer. I'm a GC. My roofing subcontractors have indeed needed to leave ladders much later than the job was completed to satisfy the inspection process. Don't even get me started on some of the larger HOA hail claims.....

Yes, I would respond to any homeowner reaching out to me for any reason. Yes, I would notify any homeowner that a ladder would be showing up (If known myself)...

This rule is stupid, but I understand its origin. The practice by roofing companies can be un-orthidox by association. The timing of all of it can absolutely suck.

I really don't want to beat on anyone.... the origin of the ladder was known or the reference to a contractor wouldn't have been made. The contacts within my 2 major roofing subs would not know if their guys placed or retrieve ladders.... the multitude of jobs simply does not allow it. Nothing I've typed makes me a better General Contractor than anyone else, nor does it make Jake's roofing contractor "shitty."

I don't mean to come across as defending a contractor I've never met. They may indeed be a "shitty" contractor, but the ladder appearance doesn't make that the case....

If there are other things that do indeed make them a shitty contractor, I should be giving Jake shit for not asking me to do his roof. (kidding) Don't get me wrong, I would have declined if I sniffed him out to be "high maintenance", but I also would have sent him a fawking notarized statement of ladder placement and time delivered via personalized courier service so he wouldn't cut my cable lock

I must be a super dick because I would have cut it down even if I knew who left it and why.

My job is managing risk, and leaving a ladder set up on the front of my house is an unnecessary and mitigate-able risk. :fingers:

Night Loonies

Member #
    I must be a super dick because I would have cut it down even if I knew who left it and why.

My job is managing risk, and leaving a ladder set up on the front of my house is an unnecessary and mitigate-able risk. :fingers:
    That's actually your prerogative, but it doesn't make it right to "cut it down" if you knew who and why... and that's exactly (one of many reasons) that many of my clients make the choice for no permits to whatever their level of remodeling can withstand... Those are the decisions you can make for yourself. The General Contractor should not have to pay that price.

Member #
    Its sadurdee.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Member #
    Images
    I jave an intense dislike for aluminum ladders. I actually view them as a representation of the persons professionalism. No pro uses them

Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    I jave an intense dislike for aluminum ladders. I actually view them as a representation of the persons professionalism. No pro uses them
    Fiberglass is heavy. Aluminum is all I got.

Definitely not a Pro.

Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

Member #
    Images
    Damn, pop in here for a few minutes and smells like someone left their dog-shit bag on the side of the trail as I went walking by.

Good points by all about the ladder...communications and expectations are likely the most significant source of tension between contractors/customers. But, Jake, you're younger so and bounce back faster so...go sit in the corner

We gotta pick a time for that beer at snotty's in Castle Rock soon. You guys can make it on weekday afternoons before it gets crowded, right?

Member #
    Images
    I have a multijoint aluminum and a fiberglass step, that makes me a pro-mature

Member #
    Ladder envy.

Friday's would work best for me. However, can on Monday, Wednesday and Friday's till i start work back up. Which looks likes after the first of the year.

Member #
    Images
    Hope all of your Saturdays are starting out better than mine..

Must be the contractors ladder, my cousin says they are required to provide one for the city inspector. Shitty they did not notify me at all about that.
    Yep.

I was just going to post that the inspector came by to do my new roof and left a note stating that it didn't pass due to "no ladder" an "snow on roof".

Did you cut the lock or were you contemplating cutting the lock?

And I put my ladder out on the side for when he decides to come a third time to do the inspection. The first time the materials hadn't even arrived yet.

I'm probably a little more course right now on the subject as watching some folks I know have to fire their clients..... as well as I've walked away from some.
    Miss me yet?

Quote Originally Posted by OFRD_GRL View Post

What happened? and how much?

Poor pup

Hope all of your Saturdays are starting out better than mine.
    Dog trying to one up Unadamnit?

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.TJ View Post
    What happened? and how much?
    Tore out a claw, all the way through the base. Vet isn't even sure it will grow back. Since it's so close to the bone and an open wound, antibiotics... Pain meds. Restricted movement for a while. $227, not as bad as her last emergency vet bill ($6k+).

Member #
    Images
    Dog trying to one up Unadamnit?
    She was sick of momming me. She wanted me to Mom her for a change...

Member #

Doggiedammit. Maybe she just wanted a matching cane.
    Last edited by creepycrawler; November 17th, 2018 at 11:12 AM.

Member #
    70 and sunshine. Gone fishin'.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Doggiedammit. Maybe she just wanted a matching cane.
    Her cast matches the one I was wearing a few months ago.

Member #
    Images

How come the soaps don't have action like this place???
    Burleson Tx, Where the Honey's have lotsa Miilk!
    Colorado Mountain Pass Collector for 30 years with 161
    1976 401 Wagoneer 1999 Frontier V6 4x4

Member #
    Stripers are biting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Stripers are biting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Nice catches! Shore or kayak fishing?

Member #
    Nice catches! Shore or kayak fishing?

Shore. Hauled the kayak but never put it in. Probably should have.