View Poll Results: Why does this thread keep going?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's not facebook

12 34.29%
  • My mom taught me if I can't tweet something nice, I shouldn't tweet at all

4 11.43%
  • It's still fun to hijack threads

8 22.86%
  • It's a good place to feel better about yourself when reading the crap other people are dealing with

10 28.57%
  • The ownage pics by John and Shaun

7 20.00%
  • It's better than the political crap in GCC

6 17.14%
  • The roller coaster adventures of Ian's romantic interludes

9 25.71%
  • No one knows I lurk here to see if you guys are talking about me

12 34.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1156 of 1311 FirstFirst ... 15665610561106114611541155115611571158116612061256 ... LastLast
Results 46,201 to 46,240 of 52402
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    You'll want to see the temperature difference between the engine coolant and engine oil - max difference of 15 degrees at 55mph on level ground.

Ideally, it would be under 10 degrees.
    More than 15 degrees is a pretty solid indicator of a clogged oil cooler.
    ah, gotcha
    break, fix, repeat

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    ah, gotcha
    Dude, Texas. Fly to El Paso, drive one the 12 hours home. I have done this a few times back when my BBQ comp partner lived down there. The diesels are cheap down there as they are a dime a dozen. No worry about rust. Just have to be fairly picky if you don't know anyone down there.

Here is a decent Ford, with the 7.3L https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/d/...554796150.html

Or a cheap 12v https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/d/...543374406.html

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Dude, Texas. Fly to El Paso, drive one the 12 hours home. I have done this a few times back when my BBQ comp partner lived down there. The diesels are cheap down there as they are a dime a dozen. No worry about rust. Just have to be fairly picky if you don't know anyone down there.

Here is a decent Ford, with the 7.3L https://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/d/...554796150.html

This is true. You do have to be careful though as there are still lots of flood cars from Houston going through auctions.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Member #
    I guess i better mow the lawn since its supposed to rain Saturday.

oooo

this week really beat the shit out of me.
    Last edited by Wulf; April 19th, 2018 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    Good lookin' truck; good color, not too many miles, lots of folks like manuals -- I'm just not one of those folks since I've always daily driven my "tow rig." I don't really tow anymore so nothing but automatics now.

I do really like the 8spd auto in my current truck.

That is a really long truck... I'm still getting used to my truck since it's quite a bit longer than Ferd was... You wouldn't think a 6.5' bed would make much of a difference over a 5.5' bed, but it does as I usually back into parking spaces....

I remember driving a buddy's crew cab with an 8' bed and backing my trailer into it's usual spot.... Holy smokes it was way different than my crew cab with a 6' bed and took a few stabs .... I'm pretty good at backing trailers, but changing the length of the truck can throw your game off.
    Manual doesn't mind me. I actually have a pretty heavy clutch in the truck and never had an issue dailying it.

Does your new truck fit in the garage?

I feel ya , driving a big truck can definitely be a challenge. I drove Jason's mega cab long bed DRW 3500 and it required extra vigilance and patience haha

facing the truths of being an adult is hard.

It's hard to accept that justice isn't always served.
    It's hard to accept that some people will never be there for you.
    It's hard to accept that you are responsible for your own successes and failures.
    It's hard to accept that you can and will outgrow relationships with friends and family.

It's empowering to embrace the truth, strap down, and push ahead. "Make your own luck"

Member #
    Images
    facing the truths of being an adult is hard.

It's hard to accept that justice isn't always served.
    It's hard to accept that some people will never be there for you.
    It's hard to accept that you are responsible for your own successes and failures.
    It's hard to accept that you can and will outgrow relationships with friends and family.

It's empowering to embrace the truth, strap down, and push ahead. "Make your own luck"
    Some of the hardest lessons for me to learn is that life is not fair. And that just because someone is related to you, it doesn't make them family. I have a feeling I will struggle with those till the day I die.

Member #
    Manual doesn't mind me. I actually have a pretty heavy clutch in the truck and never had an issue dailying it.

Does your new truck fit in the garage?

I feel ya , driving a big truck can definitely be a challenge. I drove Jason's mega cab long bed DRW 3500 and it required extra vigilance and patience haha
    For that particular truck, the manual is probably the right choice and I'd likely deal well with it too.... I actually like the long bed, just wouldn't want to be parking it on a regular basis in tight parking lots for a daily driver situation....Trailer manipulation just requires a bit more real estate....

Yep, the new truck fits in the garage as I made the seller send measurements since I absolutely wanted it in the attached garage where it would've only been a height concern since the garage is 28' deep, but it's definitely well under the 81" height threshold as well... Parking in the detached would be a no-brainer, but I've gotten used to life in the insulated garage and pretty much plan to keep it that way....

Member #
    Nightly routine of a single episode of King of the Hill

Some of the hardest lessons for me to learn is that life is not fair. And that just because someone is related to you, it doesn't make them family. I have a feeling I will struggle with those till the day I die.
    Yeah, that is a pretty brutal truth for sure and one I have been grappling with for a long time. My parents have failed me in a lot of ways and people on this forum like John, Bud, Alan, Rex, and Cherry provided me more insight and encouragement than family ever did or ever could have. Even now.

Nightly routine of a single episode of King of the Hill
    I've been marathoning it most evenings...and sometimes on my third monitor at work

For that particular truck, the manual is probably the right choice and I'd likely deal well with it too.... I actually like the long bed, just wouldn't want to be parking it on a regular basis in tight parking lots for a daily driver situation....Trailer manipulation just requires a bit more real estate....

Yep, the new truck fits in the garage as I made the seller send measurements since I absolutely wanted it in the attached garage where it would've only been a height concern since the garage is 28' deep, but it's definitely well under the 81" height threshold as well... Parking in the detached would be a no-brainer, but I've gotten used to life in the insulated garage and pretty much plan to keep it that way....
    Yeah, that is a good point. right now the parking lot at krow is 3/4 empty so parking is EZPZ but it could become a problem if I change jobs at a space limited place

Hell yea, you are a good planner

I thought I saw you today at I25&Dry Creek but it was a look alike

Member #

I've flown out many times to buy trucks and have had many folks fly out to buy mine.... I obviously agree with the concept since I just did it a few weeks ago and absorbed the cost of a plane ticket, a hotel room, several gas stops, and a 20-hour drive....

Dunno that I'd be crazy about flying out for those 2 examples.... pretty high miles and a rebuilt title with miles unknown, but I do like the idea of it. However, if you find something competitive locally, it sure is nice to be able to say "no thanks" without an airline price-tag.

And FWIW, I grew up in Texas and bought many trucks there as I started at the age of 14.... It may be on a different level, but rust exists there too.

Member #
    Hell yea, you are a good planner

I thought I saw you today at I25&Dry Creek but it was a look alike
    Lulz, I was on 25, but did not make it south of Orchard and was at County Line from Holly to Broadway, but not to 25 --- was around 225 and Yosemite / Parker a couple of times

I also saw a look-a-like truck near Orchard / University today, but the bed was a little shorter and I'm quite sure the HP was way shorter

Lulz, I was on 25, but did not make it south of Orchard and was at County Line from Holly to Broadway, but not to 25 --- was around 225 and Yosemite / Parker a couple of times

I also saw a look-a-like truck near Orchard / University today, but the bed was a little shorter and I'm quite sure the HP was way shorter
    no doubt, I'm sure you drive around with a bigass grin on your face

Member #
    Yeah, that is a pretty brutal truth for sure and one I have been grappling with for a long time. My parents have failed me in a lot of ways and people on this forum like John, Bud, Alan, Rex, and Cherry provided me more insight and encouragement than family ever did or ever could have. Even now.
    Those are very kind words toward members of this forum, but don't discount the head that is on your shoulders and the decisions you make on a daily basis on your own despite the family-support-dynamic around you. It feels like I come from a similar situation. I love my parents and the rest of my family, but I've definitely gone my own direction that was considered "against the grain" according to my family ----- You're doing very well Jake and don't stray from your own course.

Member #
    no doubt, I'm sure you drive around with a bigass grin on your face
    Lulz, I enjoy it quite a bit and have not regretted that decision for one day since I made it.... but the bigass grin is more my boys and my 7 yo reminds me on a regular basis how "it's his favorite truck I've ever had and he never wants me to sell it"

It's cool to see them into vehicles since I grew up as a shade-tree mechanic, thanks to my Dad.... I realize my boys will never be there, but I do enjoy their enthusiasm toward cars & trucks... They do like to learn about simple concepts, wrenching, etc.... I just grew up that way and wanted to be working with my dad on cars 24 / 7 if possible....

..... So in other aspects of parent-dynamics, My dad was just way cooler than I've ever been as a father since I was building engines with my dad before the age of 10. There have just been a ton of other things where my dad and I are Oil & Water.... I still call him on many nights and bite my tongue when I disagree with what he has to say. We love each other but are miles apart in so many ways that we just focus on our common ground....

Family Dynamics is Push&Pull .... It's tough to watch yourself "out-grow" your parents, but you miss the things they did to make you who you are.... And there becomes a day where you just feel the need to take care of them in old age like they took care of you when you were a kid. It's a cycle Jake. Don't let how you feel right now force you to miss out on the end-part of that cycle. It will come soon enough, but it's OK to be frustrated in the meantime.

I'm 46 and have all of those moments... frustrated with my parents, wanting to take care of them, missing moments with them that formed who I am, and watching them watch me as a father and sometimes simply relish how my kids respond to me. It makes me sad when they reflect on how they could've done things differently. I'd challenge that every parent experiences that exact emotion, Jake, but yet does or says something 10 minutes later that would suggest otherwise. The Lord knows I do the same things to my boys when I don't even realize it....

FWIW, I'm kind-of a bible guy, and I struggle greatly with the multitude of verses (pretty much all of them) where I fall short.... That said, there is one that constantly rings true to me where I need to improve and it is often relevant to my family....
    1st Thessalonians 5:14
    "And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone."

That "be patient with everyone" part hits me in the face on a daily basis. I kinda think the whole verse it is speaking more about your loved ones, and not the random jerk who cut you off in traffic that you will never see again.... but especially that last part .... just keeps hitting me right in the face

Member #
    Yeah, that is a good point. right now the parking lot at krow is 3/4 empty so parking is EZPZ but it could become a problem if I change jobs at a space limited place
    Well then just drive the car.... or the Taco.... or the YJ or whatever project you have

Single dude with 4 rides at home should be able to handle not parking a 30' long truck at work

Member #
    Images
    Rex offered up some great wisdom! Let me add a little more:

Unless you are into that sort of thing
    Last edited by Aaron; April 19th, 2018 at 11:58 PM.

Member #
    Images
    I've flown out many times to buy trucks and have had many folks fly out to buy mine.... I obviously agree with the concept since I just did it a few weeks ago and absorbed the cost of a plane ticket, a hotel room, several gas stops, and a 20-hour drive....

Dunno that I'd be crazy about flying out for those 2 examples.... pretty high miles and a rebuilt title with miles unknown, but I do like the idea of it. However, if you find something competitive locally, it sure is nice to be able to say "no thanks" without an airline price-tag.

And FWIW, I grew up in Texas and bought many trucks there as I started at the age of 14.... It may be on a different level, but rust exists there too.
    Guess I should have been more clear. Sorry about that. Both of those were meant as just a quick example as they were on the first page of private party, cars and trucks, El Paso. I didn't dig hard to find cheap examples, but I also didn't look over the ads very well. I was just trying to point him in a direction he was overlooking that might provide some more, or maybe even better, options then what is currently available locally. And my comment about rust still stands even though I know it's not a guarantee . After buying many vehicles from across this great land, I try to stick to the warm, dry/mild climate vehicles. But I do understand what you are trying to say. And they are some very valid points.
    Last edited by Aaron; April 20th, 2018 at 12:06 AM.

Member #
    Happy fridee.

Member #
    Sunny and 70 today. Rain and 60 tomorrow.

gml. slept like garbage

Well then just drive the car.... or the Taco.... or the YJ or whatever project you have

Single dude with 4 rides at home should be able to handle not parking a 30' long truck at work
    I would get rid of the car for the truck. Having a commuter car doesn't make as much sense now that I don't have a long highway commute, especially when I'm running around pickup up car parts, furniture, and home improvement materials multiple times a week, if not daily. Not sure if I want a tow rig to also DD or if I'll go back to DD the Taco, but I've been tackling the list of stuff on the Tacoma to make it painless to drive. I think I'm pretty damn close, I just need to get some comfortable seats put in there

Member #
    Images
    I would get rid of the car for the truck. Having a commuter car doesn't make as much sense now that I don't have a long highway commute, especially when I'm running around pickup up car parts, furniture, and home improvement materials multiple times a week, if not daily. Not sure if I want a tow rig to also DD or if I'll go back to DD the Taco, but I've been tackling the list of stuff on the Tacoma to make it painless to drive. I think I'm pretty damn close, I just need to get some comfortable seats put in there
    if you get the truck, you will find that the taco is going to change into your dedicated 4x4 fun rig..... ask me how i know lol

i enjoy daily driving my diesel, if the option presented itself i would trade for the 8' bed again in a heart beat though.
    hookers and blow!

Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    if you get the truck, you will find that the taco is going to change into your dedicated 4x4 fun rig..... ask me how i know lol

i enjoy daily driving my diesel, if the option presented itself i would trade for the 8' bed again in a heart beat though.

Member #
    Images
    In other words do it! lol

Member #
    Images

I love having an 8' bed on my diesel. Don't think I would own a tow rig with anything shorter anymore. At least as long as my main trailers are goosenecks.

Member #
    Images
    Finally found some time last night/early this morning to work on my tow pig. Got the new dash installed and fixed a couple of gauges during the process. Was not a fun process as most of the screws holding the top cover are behind the ducting. And that has to be put into place before you screw the cap on. Really going to kick myself if my heater core goes out soon. I even have a new one sitting on the shelf, but the original one seems fine and I honestly didn't want to spend the extra 30 minutes of work last night as I needed sleep more. Oh well, it looks a lot better than the annoying cracked dash cap. Now to move onto the fuel delivery issue.

In other words do it! lol
    do which? lol

Member #
    I love having an 8' bed on my diesel. Don't think I would own a tow rig with anything shorter anymore. At least as long as my main trailers are goosenecks.
    For goosenecks, hellz yeah... I remember back-in-the-day going to trail runs / magazine shoots with Clifton and seeing our buddy Garth the owner heavily covered rig named Gossamer repeatedly pop his back glass with the corner of his 3-car hauler when backing up in tight turns.

Also I'd want an 8' bed if really did a lot of towing vs. dd'ing the truck. My usage was always heavy in the other direction and my trailer was not a gooseneck....

Nowadays I don't even own a trailer, nor do I tow. I do very much use my truck as a truck though, so I have enjoyed a little more bed and having a toolbox....

Member #
    Finally found some time last night/early this morning to work on my tow pig. Got the new dash installed and fixed a couple of gauges during the process. Was not a fun process as most of the screws holding the top cover are behind the ducting. And that has to be put into place before you screw the cap on. Really going to kick myself if my heater core goes out soon. I even have a new one sitting on the shelf, but the original one seems fine and I honestly didn't want to spend the extra 30 minutes of work last night as I needed sleep more. Oh well, it looks a lot better than the annoying cracked dash cap. Now to move onto the fuel delivery issue.

Dash looks great. Given how widespread the Dodge-cracked-dash-syndrome was, I've always been surprised how few cracked dashes I had over the span of owning 24 Dodge diesels, especially given how many 2nd gens were in the mix...

Member #
    Images
    My dash was perfect, until that one morning I went out to start it and noticed 2 huge cracks running the entire length. Thinking the heating/cooling cycles of sitting out in the CO sun just finally did it in. The replacement is close to the same color but off just enough to make me notice it, which is not good. Hoping I get used to it fairly quickly. Honestly the 20+ year old American plastic has held up alright for it's age and I shouldn't complain too much.

Member #
    Now that you mention it, I can see the color variation, but it still looks great. Having the black A-pillar gauge cluster which matches the bezel draws your eye toward that. I'd be pretty darned good with it.

Member #
    Images
    Let me say this once more. No reason to get rid of the car. Iím a big fan of having 1 rig that I wouldnít worry about jumping in and heading cross country. Keep the car and drive it forever and buy toys around it. DDing a row rig or a toy isnít all that fun after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BumperMan View Post
    Let me say this once more. No reason to get rid of the car. Iím a big fan of having 1 rig that I wouldnít worry about jumping in and heading cross country. Keep the car and drive it forever and buy toys around it. DDing a row rig or a toy isnít all that fun after a while.
    This ^

Your DD needs to be dead-nuts reliable, always there when you need it.

In addition, you'll need a tow rig/serious hauler and a trail rig, and that sports car/sport bike/Yamaha XYZ/whatever that you've always wanted.
    (Well, I'm takin' my time) I'm just movin' along
    You'll forget about me after I've been gone
    (And I take what I find) I don't want no more It's just outside of your front door

This ^

Your DD needs to be dead-nuts reliable, always there when you need it.

In addition, you'll need a tow rig/serious hauler and a trail rig, and that sports car/sport bike/Yamaha XYZ/whatever that you've always wanted.
    hahahaha *** my yard is gonna look like a used car lot