Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images

Pandemic! 2020 and the COVID-19 virus

So with people freaking out and more and more places and events are closing their doors, I wanted to hear from some locals on their take to this situation.

So what are your thoughts?

Going about every day life like normal?

Are you preparing for anything? Stocking up on toilet paper?

Are you currently in self isolation/quarantine? If not, do you consider yourself as part of the problem?

Discuss

Member #
    Normal life here.

Member #
    Images
    I'm avoiding crowds, but I do that anyway. Not canceling any trips, but that may change. I have a son with type 1 diabetes, which is a compounding complication with covid 19, so we need to be a little more vigilant.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Jon, AKA The Man With The Plan, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Illegitimi non Carborundum = "Don't let the bastards get you down" Micris Fidelis="Faithful to small things" And it's an anagram...I'll let you figure it out

Member #
    Images
    The way I see it is as follows:

1.) Yes this should be taken seriously
    2.) No we all likely do not have a reason to panic; some as The Man pointed out may have reason to be extra cautious
    3.) I am not hoarding TP for my bunghole
    4.) Do I believe our President has a "natural affinity" for virology...hell no. So I will defer to actual doctors and such...preferably the ones who are not on TV saying that the world is doomed
    5.) I have been paying extra attention to washing my hands and such
    6.) I am probably still gonna travel, fly, drive and go to concerts and sports games/gatherings until given a compelling reason not too at which point I will re-assess.
    7.) Its nothing to freak out about but its also not something to completely ignore. Staying calm and staying informed are the best things we all can do.
    8.) Its not a bio-attack against our economy from China nor is it a 'deep state' conspiracy to usurp Trump. The things the tin foil hat crowd can come up with is better than most of the drek coming out of Hollywood these days. Good grief.
    This is my boom stick.

Life as normal as possible

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Images
    Life as normal. But I wouldn't want to catch it any more than I want to catch: flu, cold, herpies, aids, shingles, measles, ebola, etc, etc, etc... Wife and I wash our hands a lot anyway so no increase needed there for us. We rarely go to restaurants anyway so loss there. Movie theaters are empty so we'll go see a movie if one somewhat decent would come out...

There are some with weak(er) immune systems that should be very fearful of catching it. Same precautions to take as with flu though, don't walk through someone's sneeze cloud, wash your hands a lot, don't pick your nose after pushing the shopping cart around the store, etc...

I sure as hell wouldn't go dragging my ass to my parents house at the moment just to ensure I don't accidentally kill em. A phone call visit would likely be appreciated though.

Member #
    Images
    Me and my family are not in the high risk category. I know some neighbors that are. I'm trying to avoid contact with them as much as I can so I'm not the reason they catch it.

I'm still going shopping, not really stocking up on anything. We keep a pretty good stock anyway since my wife has a pantry in the basement and we stock up when the grocery stores throw a really good sale.

We're still attending Boy Scout meetings, my family is skiing today, and we're going to a St. Patrick's party on Saturday.

I have one problem though - I caught a bug in early January that irritated my lungs. I started to get over it and we had a storm. I spent 6 hours out clearing snow, and had a hard time breathing. Took more steroids. Started to get better, still coughing a bit. Then went camping with the Scouts. Came home and it started all over again. Steroid inhaler is making me feel better but still have a cough. Doc assures me it's not the current plague, since I've had it for months. I'm not contagious, but good lord I get some nasty looks and comments if I cough while I'm out in public.
    Lunatic #15
    "A government big enough to give you a righteous buzz is also big enough to harsh your mellow." -Zapp
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Member #
    Images
    We keep fairly well stocked with sales too so same here with no inclinations to panic buy.

Simply clearing your throat in public and people eye you like they're going to hose you down with Lysol.

So today I had an asthma attack at work cause of the lysol spray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Images
    I eat out every meal.

Today i just bought all sorts of groceries. Wore my latex gloves from the time i left the truck to the time i was ready to put groceries in truck. I dont want to be around people.

I need to find some bottled water and im set.

The tp isle was empty but oddly, i bought some prior to this shelves being cleared.

Member #
    Images
    I woke up with cold symptoms this morning.

So far, they're not consistent with coronavirus symptoms. Staying home all the same.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man With The Plan View Post
    I woke up with cold symptoms this morning.

So far, they're not consistent with coronavirus symptoms. Staying home all the same.

Hope its something easy

I'm a .gov employee and this isn't being taken lightly at the office at all.
    Teleworking isn't mandatory yet but it's on the horizon.
    All PCS movements, TDY's or travel are stopped. All work travel is stopped.
    I've never seen that done in my 35 years of service.

I've been a 'prepper' for a long time simply because I live a long way from civilization.
    We've always tried to maintain a few weeks worth of food and other necessities.
    We are stocked up to cover a couple months now.
    Excess fuel for the generator is on hand in the event that we lose power.
    We're on a well so we can get water if the generator is running.
    Septic works on gravity.
    Ammo is in an overabundance and I hope not ever necessary.

If a breakdown in infrastructure happens we are going to be good for a while.
    If society breaks down it's going to get ugly.
    If that happens there will be those that have and those that have not. Seeing what happened over TP should give everyone a clue what it will be like if the trucks stop delivering food.

Be safe and ready.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man View Post
    . Seeing what happened over TP should give everyone a clue what it will be like if the trucks stop delivering food.

Be safe and ready.
    But if the trucks stop delivering food, there'll be no need for TP

Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    But if the trucks stop delivering food, there'll be no need for TP
    You're not wrong. LOL

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneH View Post
    Normal life here.
    Update: I'm now on a work from home until further notice situation. It isn't officially company wide, but just my area and "voluntary" - though reading between the lines we're being told to.

break, fix, repeat

Member #
    Images
    ^^^ pretty much.

In other (more important) news... I'm low on Scotch and Bourbon, gonna have to fix that.

Member #
    Images
    Im low on the essentials right now.... ammo and beer. well not really low, but below my comfort thresholds if I can't buy it again for a long time. I was looking at some deals to order another 5k of 22LR.

We are washing our hands more, but we usually have a stock of food and such usually anyways. Not too much different from our normal routine.
    hookers and blow!

Member #
    Images
    But the good (great?) news through all this is the prevalence of fear towards vegetables and beans nearly matches the fear of CV19 so healthy food is still plentiful to stock up on

Member #
    Images
    Plenty of 22LR, and an abundance of pesky wabbits in the neighborhood. If only I had sprung for the suppressor and some sub-sonic rounds. Neighbors would never know!

Member #
    Images
    Received an email from a vendor that was advertising free medical/industrial face masks for loyal customers with qualifying orders. Lol, gotta love capitalism.

Member #
    Images
    Just back from Conexpo in Vegas. My job requires travel and I am not in close contact with high risk people. I might get sick, no big deal.

The only thing I worry about is the govt shutting down air travel while I am out of town. That would suck.
    Proudly un-offended.

Oldest son says Dallas is even nuttier than here....he's now on WFH.

Traffic on I-70 during mid-morning was about 50% of normal today, so there's that.

My construction crews no longer laugh at my hand sanitizer. Maybe I'm an influencer!
    Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

Member #
    Images
    Wife said both King Soopers' she went to we pretty much sold out of everything. We stopped at Costco and it looked like a normal Saturday, however I noticed much of the steel racks were empty. The cashier said it had been that busy all day. He also said there were over 500 people waiting outside the store for them to open, half of them left when they announced they did not have any TP. Lines in the morning went all the way to the back of the store.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    Just got back from King Soopers. 11pm and the place was as busier than I have ever seen it. They also had security guards roaming. Every isle was at least 50% empty with a lot that were completely bare. Need a few items and only left with some soda and some deodorant. All of the nessecites other than the deodorant were sold out. Even though the store was jam packed with people, no one was rude or inconsiderate. Everyone seemed to be in awe of the situation.

Member #
    Images
    Symptom free as of this morning, so I guess I'm not going to die yet.

Member #

Heard somewhere that the USA is about 50 days behind China on the virus timeline.

Assuming (I know) that reports are true that China's epidemic is winding down, that means we have another two months of this.

Member #
    While shopping for random every day needed stuff at walmart today while watching people with overflowing shopping carts full of crap they don't need and will probably will never use, and seeing no less than three people with "emotional support" dogs during that time, i am understanding why this country is in the shape it is in.

Enough said.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

The Lone Tree Sam's Club was completely out of all fresh meat this morning, that was kind of weird to see. Lots of other aisles close to empty as well. Saw a woman with at least 20 6+ lb cans of corn in her cart. Looks of sheer panic on a few peoples' faces, but most people were pretty calm. We just needed a couple things to round out what we've got, but a LOT of people are going to be in a real bad way if this goes south.
    www.staythetrail.org

Member #
    Images
    Got the call late Friday from work that all employees who can WFH should. Only essential NOC & security personnel are allowed in.

Member #
    Images
    Things have changed since I posted. Scouts is cancelled because the church where we meet closed to all outside groups. My kid is doing school from home, joking about growing up to be just like me (WFH). We skipped the party on Saturday because my cough was pretty bad after breathing sawdust in the garage all day. We figured coughs would make people too nervous.

No reason to leave the house for now, so we'll just stay home.

Member #
    Images
    Things have changed since I posted. Scouts is cancelled because the church where we meet closed to all outside groups. My kid is doing school from home, joking about growing up to be just like me (WFH). We skipped the party on Saturday because my cough was pretty bad after breathing sawdust in the garage all day. We figured coughs would make people too nervous.

No reason to leave the house for now, so we'll just stay home.

Member #
    Images
    Good on ya. Everyone else doesn't know why you're coughing even if you know there's a benign cause. Selfish would be to go out and walk around coughing expecting everyone else to 'get over it'.

UTAH is crazy. SLC stores are picked over.
    Metalhed
    Rock on Dude

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhed View Post
    UTAH is crazy. SLC stores are picked over.
    Those guys are supposed to always be ready for a disaster, or the second coming, or whatever it is. They aren't following their own rules! (I grew up there, I can talk smack.)

Member #
    All Denver restaurants and bars ordered to close to indoor dining for 8 weeks

https://www.9news.com/article/news/h...ef=exit-recirc

even the LDS are panic buying-- I live near a Bishops Store House and folks were buying up EVERYTHING. dried milk, Peanut Butter, beans, flour, grains etc by the case load.

really sad, because one of my employees said in AZ, where they just returned from-- no impact at all. I have family in Winnemucca NV same thing no impact

Member #
    Images
    National guard has been place in telluride. Montrose county just declared a state of emergency. Things are closing all over