View Poll Results: Why does this thread keep going?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's not facebook

12 32.43%
  • My mom taught me if I can't tweet something nice, I shouldn't tweet at all

4 10.81%
  • It's still fun to hijack threads

8 21.62%
  • It's a good place to feel better about yourself when reading the crap other people are dealing with

11 29.73%
  • The ownage pics by John and Shaun

7 18.92%
  • It's better than the political crap in GCC

6 16.22%
  • The roller coaster adventures of Ian's romantic interludes

9 24.32%
  • No one knows I lurk here to see if you guys are talking about me

13 35.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1797 of 1807 FirstFirst ... 797129716971747178717951796179717981799 ... LastLast
Results 71,841 to 71,880 of 72274
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Well that was not a productive night. Oh well, on with mundee.
    I gotz the same calendar

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I have been a part of a couple pours like I am talking about while stationed at Coors. Basically built and I beam a c channel structure and welded plate with the pour. But that was 15+ years ago. Center support posts could be done, but would rather an open space. Could be talked into a narrower area, like 40 or even 30ft. Any idea on very rough cost? Really need (not want) an indoor range/batcave/bunker. Figure under the future shop would be a good space as it could be built first.
    To hit 50 feet, with no center supports after thinking about it, you would want something more like a double tee. The assembly that you are talking about can be done, but the cost of the steel beams to do that span would make it not very cost effective, even if you do support posts, you have to think about the bearing weight that you are expecting of them. That means that you would need either micropiles or pray for bedrock 20-30 feet deep to pick up the load.

I reached out to an engineer about the calcs, as something like that isn't a thing that i would mess around with swagging a number for.
    hookers and blow!

Member #

Member #
    It is still Monday-ing out there

Member #
    Images
    Munday. I couldda done with another Saturday before this.
    Lunatic #15
    "A government big enough to give you a righteous buzz is also big enough to harsh your mellow." -Zapp
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    To hit 50 feet, with no center supports after thinking about it, you would want something more like a double tee. The assembly that you are talking about can be done, but the cost of the steel beams to do that span would make it not very cost effective, even if you do support posts, you have to think about the bearing weight that you are expecting of them. That means that you would need either micropiles or pray for bedrock 20-30 feet deep to pick up the load.

I reached out to an engineer about the calcs, as something like that isn't a thing that i would mess around with swagging a number for.
    Another engineer told me to stay within a 30' span. Guessing I should listen.

Member #
    A Kubota rep came by and stuffed us all with BBQ for lunch. Now i really need a nap.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

A Kubota rep came by and stuffed us all with BBQ for lunch. Now i really need a nap.

Jealous....

Don't tell me violence doesn't solve anything.

Look at Carthage.

Member #
    Images
    nah, you've always been full of it.

Member #
    Monday in the books Friday 1 starts tomorrow.
    Wandering in the wilderness.

Member #
    Images
    had a nice drive the rest of the way home this morning. i have laundry going. things have been unpacked. lunch was just finished and interestingly enough, i think tomorrow will be saturday with a few things on my list stirred into the day

Member #
    Images
    Lol.... well....

the issue isn't just the span, its the dead and live loads that you will be throwing above it. Sounds crazy but highway bridges are actually designed for very little dead load, to the point that if you have a few semi's that would be within the live load constraints sit on it for hours on end, it will start stressing the structure. A shop above would need to consider every single thing you plan to store on it as a dead load calculation, as even vehicles could sit for a few days in the same spot. To know that you would throw 2 cars above a small basement with a pitch pan, some channel and support steel is easy, to start talking about long spans with unknown dead loads complicates things.

Member #
    Images
    Lol.... well....

the issue isn't just the span, its the dead and live loads that you will be throwing above it. Sounds crazy but highway bridges are actually designed for very little dead load, to the point that if you have a few semi's that would be within the live load constraints sit on it for hours on end, it will start stressing the structure. A shop above would need to consider every single thing you plan to store on it as a dead load calculation, as even vehicles could sit for a few days in the same spot. To know that you would throw 2 cars above a small basement with a pitch pan, some channel and support steel is easy, to start talking about long spans with unknown dead loads complicates things.
    I get that. Their recommendation was to build under what would be the driveway to the north of the eventual building. Figuring the drive would only be 15' wide and never really used for parking. Then told me I should just build above grade...

Member #
    I finally got a tree stand set up this evening after work. Its a great looking meadow with several trails in and out with some obvious beds and a couple of rubs close to it. Of course ill never see a dear other than on the camera because thats how i roll but maybe a pig will walk by. At least pigs let me shoot them.

Member #
    Yay me for laying here all night again instead of sleeping.

Member #
    Its turd floating outside and is supposed to rain off and on all day long. That is probably going to sum up this toozdee. On the bright side, at least maybe work will be slow so i can get some stuff done.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    Jealous....

LOL, i thought about going to Main Street BBQ when you came through town but its hard to get into at lunch time.

Member #
    So much for the rain slowing work down. Phone ringing off the hook and people showing up 30 minutes before we open...

Member #
    Sad day at work. One of our owners who is a highly decorated Vietnam vet and a great leader passed this morning after deteriorating rapidly over the last couple of years.

Member #
    Images
    Sad day at work. One of our owners who is a highly decorated Vietnam vet and a great leader passed this morning after deteriorating rapidly over the last couple of years.

owner of the saw mill thingy?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    owner of the saw mill thingy?
    Nope. Different one.

Member #
    Images
    Nope. Different one.
    loosing people is hard

Member #
    Images
    Needed a little pewpew therapy so I skipped out on an afternoon appointment (ok, I actually just had my client meet me at the range) and headed to the club. Much needed but have discovered I am not a fan of red dots on sidearms...

Member #
    Hell yeah ...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    Hell yeah ...

I’ll take two

Member #
    Images
    Sorry to hear that.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I’ll take two
    Me too.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BumperMan View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    Yeah, he was a hell of a man.

Member #
    Images

Had another engineer tell me to build to smaller rooms that are connected with 8' diameter culverts. Would give me the man-cave/gun storage in one and the backstop and air filtration systems in the other. Could shoot close range in one and then move to the other for longer range stuff. Could lay two or more next to each other to create multiple lanes. For some reason I am really liking this idea.

Member #
    Happy day of humping. I got at least some sleep last night so it was an improvement.

Had another engineer tell me to build to smaller rooms that are connected with 8' diameter culverts. Would give me the man-cave/gun storage in one and the backstop and air filtration systems in the other. Could shoot close range in one and then move to the other for longer range stuff. Could lay two or more next to each other to create multiple lanes. For some reason I am really liking this idea.
    Box culverts (square) would work quite well. Now to find a CDOT construction site....

Member #

Member #

Member #

Member #

Member #

Member #

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie G View Post
    Box culverts (square) would work quite well. Now to find a CDOT construction site....
    That would actually not be a bad idea, then you would just pour an 8-10" slab for the shop and treat it as normal above that. Then the portion of the shop above the actual gun room could just be a pitch pan assembly and throw an office above it or something. Unless you are trying to avoid nuclear warfare, that would be more than adequate.

Rocky mountain prestress would probably have good pricing on those, or put that forklift to use in the middle of the night and hit some job sites lol

Member #