View Poll Results: Why does this thread keep going?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's not facebook

12 37.50%
  • My mom taught me if I can't tweet something nice, I shouldn't tweet at all

3 9.38%
  • It's still fun to hijack threads

7 21.88%
  • It's a good place to feel better about yourself when reading the crap other people are dealing with

9 28.13%
  • The ownage pics by John and Shaun

7 21.88%
  • It's better than the political crap in GCC

6 18.75%
  • The roller coaster adventures of Ian's romantic interludes

9 28.13%
  • No one knows I lurk here to see if you guys are talking about me

10 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1222 of 1222 FirstFirst ... 222722112211721212122012211222
Results 48,841 to 48,856 of 48856
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yup, not a deal killer, but could be if the owners aren't willing to fix or at least pay for the fix. Not about to let them off the hook for this one.
    It should be their responsibility ? Take a look at the breaker box and make sure it is not a POS federal pacific stab lock also...Our so called inspector totally missed that one...
    Last edited by DaleD; Yesterday at 07:37 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    So the wall is just sitting on a slab of unknown thickness with no foundation. My question becomes; what is that wall supporting and how much does it weigh?
    Yeah, normally in a basement, it's just a floating wall and no big deal... This being a converted garage to the original construction brings up other variables regarding load bearing points.
    Last edited by Rex Ashton; Yesterday at 07:44 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleD View Post
    It should be their responsibility ? Take a look at the breaker box and make sure it is not a POS federal pacific stab lock also...Our so called inspector totally missed that one...
    A broken sewer line is considered in-bounds toward the "health & safety" approach to inspections, so yes, it should be a burden of the seller.

.... and if your inspector missed a fed-pac panel, he/she should never be allowed to inspect a house again.... that includes a dog-house, bird-house, or whatever house you can dream up.

Member #
    BTW, total weak sauce in here as the combined effect of guy-peeing-over-the-fence pic had some funny factor....

Member #
    Murica!

Member #

Member #
    Images
    You're a lot braver than I am Aaron!!

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them" George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
    I was actually just looking at that one earlier
    break, fix, repeat

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    to buy a house?

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    Scared off by the work or the price tag? Work isn't that bad, a little demo, some pipe work, then concrete. But the price to have someone qualified do it right can take one's breath away.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Scared off by the work or the price tag? Work isn't that bad, a little demo, some pipe work, then concrete. But the price to have someone qualified do it right can take one's breath away.
    Really? ... I have zero idea of what you've been quoted, so I'm very curious of the "breath away" quote and the price expectation

Member #
    I have a pretty good idea of what it should cost in a standard "flat-work" scenario, but I'd sure like to hear the quote and expectation prices...

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Sewer guy who inspected it told me to easily expect $10k or higher based on location. I am getting a quote tomorrow and can share that then.

Sure $10k might not be much to some, and not sure it "took my breath away" but it did stop and make me think. Even with how busy everyone is right now, I didn't think it would be more than about $5k...

Member #
    Yeah, $10K could lead to breathing changes for something like that.... I'm trying to figure out what the logistics of the location would drive it that high.... 11 ft of cast iron replaced in just standard flat-work would usually run about 1/3rd of that for me, but I could see some guys getting to $5k... I've replaced more linear footage inside-foundation flat work for less.

If it's just what we've discussed and is simply pipe replaced within flat-work concrete and does not pass through foundation / footer, I'm pretty sure I can get it done for around $5K and that would pay me for my time and a couple of trips to the property.

I'm very curious of why 11' of cast iron getting replaced in 4" - 6" of flat work would be quoted that high. I'm missing something or someone is charging a premium.

Then again, there are some big companies in town that do tend to idle around twice of what others charge.

Member #
    ....and I could be missing something that goes to the original quoter that said "based on location." .... Not sure what that meant and why.