View Poll Results: Why does this thread keep going?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's not facebook

12 32.43%
  • My mom taught me if I can't tweet something nice, I shouldn't tweet at all

4 10.81%
  • It's still fun to hijack threads

8 21.62%
  • It's a good place to feel better about yourself when reading the crap other people are dealing with

11 29.73%
  • The ownage pics by John and Shaun

7 18.92%
  • It's better than the political crap in GCC

6 16.22%
  • The roller coaster adventures of Ian's romantic interludes

9 24.32%
  • No one knows I lurk here to see if you guys are talking about me

13 35.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1659 of 1798 FirstFirst ... 659115915591609164916571658165916601661166917091759 ... LastLast
Results 66,321 to 66,360 of 71896
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott91MJ View Post
    Oof looks like it was busy elsewhere, just like me and krow, busy all day.
    youngest kid had basketball practice at your old job location .... pretty darn nice gym there....

Member #
    Hump.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BumperMan View Post
    Ya'll need to calm down in here.
    It was pretty rowdy in here yesterday.

Member #
    Also, its freakin brrrr this morning.

Member #
    Images
    Ok Fringe..... I am looking at a pellet smoker, I think. I don't want this to replace my current grill, so having sear capabilities isn't a big draw to me, I am looking for smoke and flavor.

Camp chef looks interesting with the ash removal system

Traeger is Traeger.... but I also hear underwhelming results on them

Rec- tec is recommended a bunch, but no real reasons why

What else is out there? I don't plan to smoke anything epic, but from what I gather, if it fits, it ships, so I could easily do a turkey or ribs in even a 24" wide unit
    hookers and blow!

Quote Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
    Ok Fringe..... I am looking at a pellet smoker, I think. I don't want this to replace my current grill, so having sear capabilities isn't a big draw to me, I am looking for smoke and flavor.

What else is out there? I don't plan to smoke anything epic, but from what I gather, if it fits, it ships, so I could easily do a turkey or ribs in even a 24" wide unit

paging Andy and Aaron
    break, fix, repeat

Member #
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    paging Andy and Aaron
    Nope, wrong person to ask about pellet stuff. I do too well with natural lump charcoal to consider pellet/electric/propane. Not criticizing others for one of those choices just my preference leaves me with no legitimate input.

Member #
    Images
    In other news: I am finding I LIKE Scotch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    Mmmmm scotch

I'm not surprised given you like neat spirits

Member #
    Only a week and a half to go till the stupid shortest day of the year.

Member #
    Images

I have a Traeger and it is awesome. I have actually had 3 of them so far. One is a portable unit, and I've two of their bigger units. The smoke flavor is amazing, and I have had no issues with either.
    Contact me for all your firearms needs. Guns, ammo, accessories, NFA......

Member #
    Images
    Florida is yucky. There's too much air here, and it's way too wet. Here on a business trip.

I like the no snow, but I don't think I could live here. Glad I fly home ugly early in the AM.
    Lunatic #15
    "A government big enough to give you a righteous buzz is also big enough to harsh your mellow." -Zapp
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Green Mtn Grills

I did a ton of research before buying and the general consensus from folks who have owned GMG & Treager is that the GMG is mo-bettah.

They have come out with a new model called "prime", best I can tell is that it has windows in the smokebox and pellet hopper, not things that I desired. The good news is that the old "choice" line is being closed out. You can get the Daniel Boone Choice wifi edition for $399.

I LOVE mine, cook in in one to two times a week
    "The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them" George Orwell

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    I too have done a bunch of research in this area. For personal use as well as for tailgating and using in cooking/BBQ comps. Here is a bit of what I have learned along the way.

Camp Chef products seem to be well designed, be of good quality, and carry a heavy price tag. I have never used their pellet grills, but have used their 2 and 3 burner stove with most of the attachments. The tailgate ambulance has our old 3 burner setup with grill box, pizza oven, and full sized griddle. I bought the new style 3 burner stove since it has sides to cover the burners to protect from the wind. And I have a 2 burner grill box, pizza oven, and full sized griddle for my house as my main outdoor grill setup. No complaints about the Camp Chef stuff other than price.

Edit: actually thought of a complaint with the Camp Chef stoves, their grease drains are right above the left front leg. This limits decent access for a catch can and makes a horrible greasy mess to clean up after each cook.

Traeger offers a decent product but also comes with a heavy price tag. I have personal experience with their small tailgating pellet grill. This worked decently, but was not worth buying if you need to smoke anything other than a rack of ribs or a small pork butt. We ended up using this to reheat food for the tailgate that we smoked elsewhere. I also have used one of the Timberline series pellet grills as a good buddy bought one to replace his older Traeger, which would not get hot enough to sear a steak. The new unit is great at smoking and grilling, except I know he has had some problems with cooking steak still.

I choose a GMG for my personal home setup. It offers all the features that the other name brands do, but at a slightly lower cost. The big selling point for me was it's ability to cook low and slow as well as VERY hot. Sears steaks perfectly @ 450-500*, while still being able to smoke a bunch of pork butts for 12-14 hours at 275*, and still being able to grill a bunch of burgers and dogs. As well as they offer some of the tallest interior clearance, meaning can fit more racks, or taller items like beer can chicken and turkeys in basting pans. I went with a Daniel Boone model as the size was right for me. I also made sure to get the WIFI version so I can start and monitor the grill from bed, including grill and meat temp separately. After a year of heavy use, I have had no complaints and even have made a few accessories for the grill. I will recommend getting the insulated cover as it helps regulate the temps year round and does seem to help with fuel efficiency.

For comps, we still use backflow smokers, ours is from the Backwoods line, and also use a Green Egg. Though after using the pellet grill heavily for over a year, we may add it into the mix.

If you would like to check out the GMG setup vs the Traeger setup, check out Sportsman's Warehouse as they carry the full lines of each.
    Last edited by Aaron; December 11th, 2019 at 05:39 PM.

Member #
    Images
    I haven't looked, but there used to be a "smoking" thread here in general chit chat. Had some decent info in it.

Member #
    The company may be buying a friend of mines 300ish acre hunting property for a tax write off. It will be a sweet deal for me if they do because i will be able to use it at will along with the two really good fishing ponds that are on it.

I've hunted it before a couple of times but he is pretty strick as far as shooting bucks goes. If you shoot a buck on his property, you have to have it mounted. I get it.... it keeps more bucks around and lets them mature and some really nice ones have come off of the piece of land including my sisters Boone's and Crockett deer.

I just wanna have full access to it just to screw around on, fish, and blast a pig or 30.

Member #
    Frydee eve.....ish.

Member #
    Images

I have whatever the Loweís brand is. It has sear capability and I love it. I have replaced everything except my smoke house (still need the huge capacity).

Member #
    Images
    Then I need to introduce you to my new passion.

Small batch local distillery whiskeys. Especially ryes and malted barleys.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BumperMan View Post
    Then I need to introduce you to my new passion.

Small batch local distillery whiskeys. Especially ryes and malted barleys.
    I'ma gonna take you up on that! I'm learning to like certain whiskey and whisky. I think I like rye heavy whiskey (Woodford reserve and Knob Creek styles), but I think it's the malt flavorings I am liking in Scotch. The problem is I don't know my flavors enough to know how to identify/describe them to learn what other spirits have those qualities, I just know the flavors I get that attract me...and I think it's the rye spiciness in bourbon and earthy/doughy malt in Scotch that I enjoy most (those 2 flavors not necessarily in the same drink). I know I like contemplating and savoring a long lingering finish in whatever spirit I'm drinking.

Member #
    Images
    Today is turning into a beautiful day! Had a bunch of windshield time already this morning. Been to Castle Rock, Englewood, and then up to Longmont, then Louisville, and now back at the shop for pup's lunch. Hopefully have gotten all the errands run so I can just crank in the shop the rest of the day.

Wife's birthday today too. Need to remember to make her favorite dinner tonight, chicken parm.

Anyone doing anything interesting today? Or is everyone just working hard?

Member #
    Images
    Ford vs Ferrari was worth the $ to see on the big screen. It felt so lonely having only 6 other people in there watching at the same time - not!

Anniv (27th) dinner tonight at a place we haven't tried yet.

Member #
    Getting busy at work again as everybody is now coming in spending money for tax deductions. I wish i made so much money that i needed to spend $100,000 before the end of the year.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Getting busy at work again as everybody is now coming in spending money for tax deductions. I wish i made so much money that i needed to spend $100,000 before the end of the year.
    Lol, just got off the phone with a buddy in that situation, who is driving out to Tulsa this weekend to pick up a new tractor with all the accessories. It was cheaper out there then here, so he could afford the backhoe too.

Member #
    Images
    Awesome! Congrats to you and Tammy! (since they don't have a scotch icon)

Member #
    Ford vs Ferrari was worth the $ to see on the big screen. It felt so lonely having only 6 other people in there watching at the same time - not!

Congrats Andy!

Member #
    Let the owner know I'll come and remodel the half-bath there for that amount.

My attorney runs into that problem ... In '16 he bought a new Range Rover to the tune of 100K ish .... did it again this year and it was almost 140K ... This thing is amazing....
    Last edited by Rex Ashton; December 12th, 2019 at 04:14 PM.

Member #
    I guess I'm feeling guilty and need to admit a recent act....
    ..... after poking fun at the Cybertruck, the damn thing started growing on me....The tri-motor AWD version with a 500 mi range and 0-60 in 2.9 seconds

I got my order placed. There are 250,000+ people in front of me and we will see if there are any design changes before that version begins production estimated late 2022. If Elon goes bankrupt while holding my $100 refundable deposit, I'll have to skip a meal out at a restaurant with the family...

Member #
    Images
    I'ma gonna take you up on that! I'm learning to like certain whiskey and whisky. I think I like rye heavy whiskey (Woodford reserve and Knob Creek styles), but I think it's the malt flavorings I am liking in Scotch. The problem is I don't know my flavors enough to know how to identify/describe them to learn what other spirits have those qualities, I just know the flavors I get that attract me...and I think it's the rye spiciness in bourbon and earthy/doughy malt in Scotch that I enjoy most (those 2 flavors not necessarily in the same drink). I know I like contemplating and savoring a long lingering finish in whatever spirit I'm drinking.
    Sounds like you are a lot like me. If you get the chance try Templeton Rye and let me know what you think. It is my go to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Images
    Here a review of some recent stuff and some old favorites.

My go to get it about anywhere

Plain Jane Burban. I bought it because he donates a portion of the proceeds to folds of honor. If I can find it Iíll buy a bottle of his grannies private reserve but not another bottle of this.

My current favorite. But itís hard to find outside MO. Itís a malted barley

Picked this up in MO. very drinkable, but a little mild for my taste

There is also one called three ranger Rye that I like a lot.

Tried these in Vegas. All were very good.

Ha ha, Templeton Rye, my wife's cousin is part of that business. I really didn't know it was making it outside their local area.

Member #
    Images
    I wish I could find shooters of Rye. And the Scotch shooters are too few too. If I have it right, it's heavy oak I don't care for.

Time to head out to shoot the cobwebs outta the shotgun and see if I can shoot a few geese today...

Member #
    Finally fridee.

Member #
    Images
    Im working through the weekend

Member #
    Also, its fridee the 13th.

Member #
    Images
    Also, its fridee the 13th.
    That sounds like a good reason to stay home today. I think I will do that.

Member #
    Images
    Buddy just called to inform me that he won a brand new Jeep from one of his suppliers. He get to pick out what he wants up to a $50k price tag. All he has to do is cover taxes. Needless to say, he is pretty freaking stoked. Heck, I am pretty stocked for him. So awesome to hear.

Member #
    Images
    I wish I could find shooters of Rye. And the Scotch shooters are too few too. If I have it right, it's heavy oak I don't care for.

Time to head out to shoot the cobwebs outta the shotgun and see if I can shoot a few geese today...
    Best of luck and skill!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    Im working through the weekend
    Me too! Though that isn't anything new for me. Sounds like it is a common practice for you too. This true?