View Poll Results: Why does this thread keep going?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's not facebook

12 35.29%
  • My mom taught me if I can't tweet something nice, I shouldn't tweet at all

3 8.82%
  • It's still fun to hijack threads

8 23.53%
  • It's a good place to feel better about yourself when reading the crap other people are dealing with

10 29.41%
  • The ownage pics by John and Shaun

7 20.59%
  • It's better than the political crap in GCC

6 17.65%
  • The roller coaster adventures of Ian's romantic interludes

9 26.47%
  • No one knows I lurk here to see if you guys are talking about me

12 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1125 of 1248 FirstFirst ... 12562510251075111511231124112511261127113511751225 ... LastLast
Results 44,961 to 45,000 of 49896
    Member #
    Images
    “The simple minded know many things that the wise ignore”

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by birddog59 View Post
    Or for stuff he took an extra year to get done, or used your tub for a beer can receptacle. Funny you do not see him much around here anymore.
    He did teach me a lot about fabrication but I was also the scapegoat soooooo
    break, fix, repeat

Member #
    Images
    It is funny, photobucket denies some images I would think they would delete and keeps others I think they would delete. Seems to be no rhyme or reason. I guess it could be one of those amount of skin sniffer filters. You smart guys would know more than I.
    Last edited by birddog59; March 21st, 2018 at 07:19 PM.

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Or for stuff he took an extra year to get done, or used your tub for a beer can receptacle. Funny you do not see him much around here anymore.
    We ordered a few things from him when i was at Hillside. Everything we got was nice stuff.....when it eventually showed up. I think he probably had the skills but was maybe just lacking some in the business management department.

Hope he is doing well in his current ventures.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Member #
    Images
    Left with 10 and coming back with 13. Three puppies are going to be a pain.
    I could save you some trouble. You could drop one of the adults off here. just sayin...

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BumperMan View Post
    I could save you some trouble. You could drop one of the adults off here. just sayin...
    I have an older one staying here that would be a good fit for you but there is no way to shoehorn him in man.

Member #
    Images
    He may be able to go one more year horseback but it is a coin toss. His sister (one of my best females ever) died a month ago from cancer. It was very emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    I think he probably had the skills but was maybe just lacking everything in the business management and ethics department.

Hope he is reaping what he has sewn
    Completely agree
    "The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them" George Orwell

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
    Completely agree
    I guess i dont know the whole story. I didn't realize he had burned bridges that bad.

Member #
    Images
    I will second that.

Member #
    Images
    My jeep was supposed to be done when I got home from the winter down here. I got it in July. And it was not what it was supposed to be.

Member #
    Images
    It was there many times and only really got fixed until Nate went to work for him.

Member #
    Images
    Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    She keeps a very messy bedroom

Member #
    Images

Member #
    Images
    But there again who cares

Member #
    Images

Underboob and gap for the win

Member #
    Images
    In before the end of hump day

Member #
    Images
    I have never really considered an office job.

Member #
    Images
    Goodnight then.

I have never really considered an office job.

Nobody in my offices looks like that

Member #
    Thought I posted from Manchester, TN, but apparently never hit the quick reply button.

Jodi found a pretty inexpensive place for me to stay on the east side of St. Louis that wasn't a roach (and hopefully not bed bug) motel, which was my target destination as I really didn't lose much time from the flight delay.

Shouldnt be too bad of a finish tomorrow

Member #
    Images
    st louis to denver is a long ass day. be careful, pull over and sleep if you get the nods man.

Member #
    Images
    ps do not text while driving.

i am catching you tomorrow

Member #
    Yeah, it is a long drive and that is why I wanted to try to get some significant sleep tonight.... starting to fade now.

Me no text while driving... tried to post update from a Wendy's but failed.

Photobucket used to be the sh!t and went downhill

Guess I'm awake now

Member #
    Images
    He may be able to go one more year horseback but it is a coin toss. His sister (one of my best females ever) died a month ago from cancer. It was very emotional.
    I think will is going to make it another season as well. I’m sure hoping he will.

Member #
    Happy thurzdee.

Quote Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
    Well good news is it sounds like you have an opportunity in the near future

You have to ask yourself if you want to stay. Don't get me wrong I would rather go fishing with my boys all day but is there something about the job besides the $$$ that keeps you there? If not you wont ever be satisfied, polish the resume and reach out to your recruiter.

If so come up with a non-emotion based sales pitch for why you justify what you are asking for. A review is an active negotiation, ASK for what you want, don't settle for what they offer. Sometimes there are obstacles for management to get you what you want, try to find out what they are ahead of time, it's rarely as simple as they do or don't want to give you what you ask. If you dont get what you ask for, get specific benchmarks along the path to what you are asking for and make sure they acknowledge when you reach them.

If you are going to go the route where you throw a competitive job offer down and ask them to match, remember you can only do that once, the nuclear option
    Yeah, I took the job primarily for reasons besides money. I have the flexibility to more or less set my own hours and come and go as I please as long as I get my work done and make it to important meetings, most of which I call into since my team is out of DC. I do get the opportunity to work with a lot of different devices and the way projects rotate through means that I continually get to work with new things fairly often, which I enjoy. I really liked the office culture at first but in the last year it's taken a huge turn towards PC culture with drama girl and her ex boyfriend.

That is a valid point, and I do have non-emotional reasoning for wanting more; I've been given a lot of responsibility and have risen to exceed expectations. My first project, which I was the sole developer on, was a single sign on implementation from across websites/mobile app. Since then I've taken ownership of various key aspects of the app and its functionality both client and server side. Part of my frustration is the lack of recognition/reward; it's frustrating to be handed the equivalent of an order for a bridge or something with no instructions and finding a way to deliver on time while at the same time drama girl, who is technically the same rank as me, is fixing typos and crooked buttons.

I didn't get the full bonus for last year but when I brought it up in my review and asked if I could work on anything or do anything better the answer was "nah, just keep up the good work". It's also frustrating when a company makes 400m in revenue, throws dozens of millions of bonuses to execs, and then don't necessarily recognize the people literally building the thing. that's just business, I suppose.

I'm not really trying to go nuclear.

Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    Then they need to hire an "x" consultant for the project. Then they can waste whatever amount of money it takes them to understand it in a much shorter time.

I'm not primarily a programmer, but - could you define the variables X,Y,Z,P,Q,R,S, and project?
    the tl;dr is that we still use XML for most requests/responses. I'm tasked with fetching data stored as JSON from the DB, deserializing it into C# objects, serializing it into xml, then deserializing it into Java objects on the other end. I'm pushing to just send the pure JSON string from the database to the client without any of the in between, which was literally fine on a similar project last week but this week it isn't because "it feels wrong to put a JSON string in xml"

Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    seeing the other comments - maybe that was more of a life question. I was drawn to the technical question inside it. Jake: You're in a "meteoric rise"(weird phrase, since meteors are generally going down during the time we call them meteors) phase. Your skills and temperament, and the market for them, are all strong. Put yourself out there.

Your current employer will see the situation, and see that you are handling it in the most professional possible way, and see you against the background of your peers.
    Your potential employers will see you.

Part 1 may just take care of the whole thing. You get a longer stretch at one job to put on your resume, more money, better treatment. I did that with EIM. We got to the date for conversion from contractor to employee and they put on a freeze. I gave them 3 months and activated my Dice profile (dice used to be a job search site for techies. I don't know what's used now - snapchat?). They remedied the situation before the calls from others even started coming in.

If not, part 2 is still good. Maybe better....In some jobs, it's really the only way to get any raise at all for certain, or any significant one at all. At JBS, for years people would give up and leave for a year and come back for much more, because the recruiting side of HR had no choice but to deal with factual economics. Not long before I left, the psyops side of HR put out an edict that no employee who left voluntarily could ever work for the company again. I don't know whether they have gone into the death spiral of talent decay, repealed that company rule, or kept the rule and make dozens of exceptions per year.
    Yeah, I think these are all valid points.

It seems like the average turnaround for SEs is about 2 years right now, so I'm coming up on that. I know I've seen more than a handful of people leave to Google, Facebook, Netflix, and Amazon in my time here so I don't know if my company is willing to do much to keep people who are discontent but I also can't say that I know if any of them brought it up or just jumped ship.

Member #
    In Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    In Kansas