New Tow Rig... 2004.5 Cummins

We decided it was time for 4 doors... and a little nicer truck. We ended up with allot nicer truck. For reference I am upgrading from an 1993 F250 IDI turbo (I added the turbo after I bought it). Honestly there is nothing wrong with the old IDI, it has never left us anywhere and never failed to start, even when snowmobiling. Old truck (towing my latest project):

We were looking for a CCLB and our price range was putting us in the mid 2000's trucks. That knocked the ford out (no 6.0L for this guy) and the trucks we decided on were a LBZ durmax ('06 to '07) or a 600 cummins ('04.5 to '07.5). Our goal was to find a truck with about 150k miles, in awesome shape, that we could drive for the next 10 years (we do about 10k miles a year on the F250 now). Had to be automatic (tired of rowing through gears driving around town, and sitting in I70 traffic with a snowmobile trailer), other options were nice to haves. This is what we found:

Its a 2004.5 CCLB Ram 2500 Laramie. The truck has 165k miles, and is in nearly perfect shape. We cannot find anything wrong with the interior and only a few bumps and nicks on the outside. The PO just upgraded all of the steering to from the factory crap to the Carli upgraded parts (upgraded to '09 steering), including the steering box stabilizer brace and track bar. It got new injectors 30k miles ago. He was having Blackstone analyze his oil, which is how found out he had a bad injector. The guy was super nice, gave me all the Blackstone reports and had all the receipts for everything. It doesn't have a tuner and the only performance mod (if you can call it that) is a through flow muffler. The ONLY bummer about the truck is that the cruise control is messed up... it will hold speed but when it needs to pull on the throttle it shuts down and doesn't work again until you shut the truck down and restart. After a little research it looks like its a pretty easy fix, so I will tackle that soon.

I have never owned a dodge, and I don't know many people who do. Anything I should look at before I hook the trailer to it and hit I70 this winter? Everything I have read says that its a super solid truck and it should be ready to rock.

Thanks
    PZ
    a yota.........
    I used to own a jeep:flipoff2:

Member #
    Images
    Great find. Looks nice and clean. I have many Dodge's in my company Fleet and I would say the first thing you should do is to add some gauges and pay attention to the EGT temps. This generation of 5.9's get really hot and that can cause lots of problems. I would also get a transmission temp gauge and monitor that carefully since your truck has higher miles. Most 47re/48re transmissions go out around 120k. Yours may have been rebuilt but I did read that so be careful. If you need to rebuild the transmission, they are cheap and easy to do. Tons of upgrade parts for these transmissions. Enjoy, these are great trucks, not the fastest or the most powerful, but very reliable and cheap and easy to fix. I love all my 5.9's.
    Metalshop Motorsports Ultra4 buggy
    Metalshop Motorsports 98 S10

Never heard of a deisel being cheep to fix.

It's a great truck though. I have an 03 that recently hit 130,000. Larime, black leather, dark blue, looks just like yours only it has a manual.

I'd second the gages, turbo temp is good to watch on the big climbs and it's nice to know when it cools enough to shut down. Next up for an auto would be trans temp, I understand those things like to blow up.

http://www.genosgarage.com. Is a good CTD resource. As is the turbo deisel registry.
    Last edited by GPP33; November 28th, 2014 at 10:46 PM.

I assume the lift pump has been upgraded to the in-tank version, but if not, that would be the first thing I would do. I don't have any experience with the automatic, but the weak points I have found were the steering (yours appears to have been taken care of), ball joints, and U-joints. The trucks seem to go through tires faster than similar trucks, usually because of the aforementioned items. Keep an eye on EGT's and enjoy it. I love my truck, but know that it is older I put some anti-gel in the tank during the winter months. I never had a problem with it gelling and not starting until recently when I only drive the truck about 5,000 miles a year and would sit for weeks without being driven in the winter.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Never heard of a deisel being cheep to fix.
    Compared to Duramax and 6.0 Powerstroke, 5.9's are much cheaper to work on.

There is already a trans temp gauge installed and a nice FASS pump with a water separator and a filter right next to it. I have already priced out a pyro and boost gauge so those will be next, after I get the cruise control fixed.

PZ

Member #
    Images
    To be honest, keep it stock and you will have many more trouble free miles. Start messing with fuel duration and rail pressure, be ready to pay the price. I ate 4 sets of injectors on my 04.5 CTD in 75k miles...and plenty other shit. That truck put me in the poor house.

Having the FASS is a huge bonus.

You really don't need a boost gauge if kept stock. You will never over boost with that turbo and stock fueling. The gauges I would look at are EGTs, transmission (installed in the correct line), rail pressure.

Other than that...enjoy your CTD.
    03 Rubicon TJ, needs work.
    https://m.facebook.com/ClownsInc

I intend to keep the engine stock. Reliability is the name of the game for me, so most likely the first thing to get a mod is going to be the transmission.

I want a boost gauge just because I enjoy watching it... I read that this things make up to 30 psi stock, does that sound right to you guys?

PZ

Member #
    Images
    Sounds like a good idea. Most of the people who get many miles out of the CTD trucks are stock.

All things working properly you should get 27-30 lbs of boost.