Member #
    Images

Thumbs up Robocalls: your new rights

Robocalls are hard to stop. Despite the Do Not Call registry, the robocalls keep coming because they are cheap to set up and easy to disconnect once the spotlight hits.

And now robot callers can closely mimic human tones and responses. Many of us don't like to rudely hang up on a real person, so we engage.

But there's hope. The FCC issued new rules last fall designed to make sure you get only the calls you actually want. But they are getting a lot of pushback from industry. Tell them you want the right to stop the robocalls!

Tell the FCC to enforce your new robocall rights!

New rules from the FCC will put you in better control over who can call you, on both your landline and your wireless device.

Among your new rights:

A telemarketer will have to get your written consent to receive a call or message. You can give your OK for them to call through paper or electronic means web forms, a telephone keypress, or email.

Robocalls to your home landline are no longer allowed based solely on an 'established business relationship' with you. Simply buying a product, or contacvting a business with a question, no longer gives them permission to call you.

Telemarketers who call will now have to let you immediately opt out of receiving additional calls through an automated menu.

Learn more about your new rights, then tell the FCC to be aggressive.

Sincerely,

Jim Guest
    President, Consumer Reports
    101 Truman Ave
    Yonkers, NY 10703-1057
    Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded.
    Life is good! לחיים

MilitaryJeepers.com

Member #
    Images
    Yay more laws and regulation. Just what we need.

More .gov interfering in business. Awesome.

Can't wait till a "Confirm" box appears on my TV before commercials air........

IBbutitsokinthisinstancecrowdarrives.
    Last edited by scottycards; January 22nd, 2014 at 11:18 AM.

Member #
    Images

Many quit answering their LL phones. If you want to talk to them you have to leave a message...

Have a good One.. Don S..
    Burleson Tx, Where the Honey's have lotsa Miilk!
    Colorado Mountain Pass Collector for 30 years with 161
    1976 401 Wagoneer 1999 Frontier V6 4x4

Member #
    Images
    Yup, land line is for messages, so is cell unless you are one of my contacts.

All changes brought about due to spam calling.
    -Ben
    74 Bronco garage queen - currently a zero emission vehicle
    my commuter vehicle spews "global warming" gas CO2 & CH4 - dang bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post
    Done.

The opt out feature is a fantastic idea. Telemarketers are trash and love to prey on the elderly, and the ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post
    That is a lot of personal info. I wonder if they will sell it to telemarketers?

Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    I didn't use my real info.

Quote Originally Posted by Clod Hopper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I didn't use my real info.
    Oh, great. Now Hugh Jorgan, Dick Hertz and Mike Hunt will be getting deluged with telemarketing calls.
    Martin (AKA Zapp Branigan) KillBot (Retired)
    "I am the Man With No Name - Zapp Branigan!"
    2007 4Runner SR5, 4.0 Wife's vehicle: 95 YJ, 4 cyl, 5 speed STOCK!
    DD: 96 Mazda B2300 4x2, Fun Ride: 02 BMW R1150R

I'm all for anything that stops telemarketing scumbags, but this won't do shite. The do not call registry doesn't have an exception for robo-calls, they're already breaking the law. They'll just break these new ones too. How about enforcing the laws that already exist and/or increasing penalties. If some of them get slapped with some insane fines or even jail time that might help stop some of them. The ones that are the most annoying are not only illegal by calling anyway, but they're fishing scams and looking to cheat people. The do not call violation is the least of the illegal things they're doing.
    Murray's Toys: 76 FJ40, 07 KTM 450EXC, 97 KTM 300EXC (Son's), 05 Suzuki SV1000S, 04 Specialized Epic, 06 K2 Public Enemies

I got your Jeep thing....now it burns when I pee

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    Yay more laws and regulation. Just what we need.

More .gov interfering in business. Awesome.

Can't wait till a "Confirm" box appears on my TV before commercials air........

IBbutitsokinthisinstancecrowdarrives.
    I'm all for individual rights. if it takes restricting business rights to protect my right to privacy, I'm good with that.
    Lunatic #15
    "A government big enough to give you a righteous buzz is also big enough to harsh your mellow." -Zapp
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
    Oh, great. Now Hugh Jorgan, Dick Hertz and Mike Hunt will be getting deluged with telemarketing calls.
    I know those guys. Hugh and Mike... Nice guys. Dick... Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Don S View Post

Many quit answering their LL phones. If you want to talk to them you have to leave a message...

Have a good One.. Don S..
    No, you have to email them or they need to be familiar with the number. I don't answer SHIT I don't know. And f_ck the VM's too...
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson -

Done.

The opt out feature is a fantastic idea. Telemarketers are trash and love to prey on the elderly, and the ignorant.
    I want them to kill themselves if I thought that they were the problem. The callers just want a job...The people who start these companies and own them, should be killed...

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I want them to kill themselves if I thought that they were the problem. The callers just want a job...The people who start these companies and own them, should be killed...
    Agreed here.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by cheftyler View Post
    Agreed here.
    Agree, but some of those callers push a little hard...... Those are the one I reserve for special treatment
    i used to be mbx400... but i was done with that name

That's utter B.S. Don't you think the 80 year old disabled and senile widow on a fixed income needs her money more than some asshole telemarketer? I don't call preying on people a job.

That's utter B.S. Don't you think the 80 year old disabled and senile widow on a fixed income needs her money more than some asshole telemarketer? I don't call preying on people a job.
    "Preying upon people"...That's a career! Lawyers, politicians, Insurance companies, collection agents, and on and on and on...

So your killing spree wouldn't stop with the top management, you'd let loose on the phone people too, and whack everybody...

Fair enough.

"Preying upon people"...That's a career! Lawyers, politicians, Insurance companies, collection agents, and on and on and on...

So your killing spree wouldn't stop with the top management, you'd let loose on the phone people too, and whack everybody...

Fair enough.
    I never said kill, don't you think that's a little dramatic? I'm talking about shutting them down whenever we can.

I never said kill, don't you think that's a little dramatic? I'm talking about shutting them down whenever we can.
    Yeah, I know. I was going a little overboard for effect...

Member #
    Images
    This is like gun control. It'll affect only the law-abiding callers, not "Anne, from account services" who calls every goddamn day from a different state, phishing for bank account info.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    I say some stupid sh!t here.