Project Wreckreation: My TJ Build

Hey guys! I know I have been here a while and you probably haven't seen much of me here, but I have a '99 Jeep TJ that I bought when I was a Junior in Highschool in the summer of '03. It was beautiful! Black, Hard top, and already lifted on 32s!

Circa 2003: Old Man Emu 3", 32s, daily driver.

I drove this setup for 3 years or so and loved it! I road tripped it through Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Arizona when I was in training for the Air Force. I miss this setup.

In 2006, I met some people who knew a little (and I do mean a little) about building suspensions and fabrication and I decided it was time to get my feet wet. It took me a few years, but I ended up with a Dana 30 with a lockright , 8.8 (welded), 103" wheelbase, and 37" MT/Rs on aluminum wheels. this whole setup made a decent daily driver for a few months between DDs in 2008.

Next came a set of steel wheels and 36" TSLs.

By this time, the suspension had seen plenty of abuse and the front axle was a wreck!

'99 TJ 4.0L - jack stand crawler

So back in 2006, I decided that I was NOT going to keep the Dana 30 for too long. I acquired a junkyard 60 of unkown year, my best guess being '89. Non-neckdown shafts, short tube on the drivers side, and king pins.

Well, the Dana 30 ended up staying for longer than I expected, but the last trip really did it in! I'm finally working on getting the 60 under the front. I am building this as sort of the 'last' suspension system I will ever have to mess with under this Jeep. I know changes always come, you can't avoid them sometimes, but I would like this suspension to be able to handle some real abuse and I can continue to build this rig on top of what is already there like a cage, boatsides, etc.

The plans are a double-triangulated four link and full hydro. Having already bought a double-ended ram and orbital, I am committed to this plan.

Here is how she sits now. I'm working to get the damn track bar mount off the frame, which anyone who has ever done this knows, is a PITA.

Axle at full bump:

Member #
    Images
    cool man
    Captain Mayhem- I like to break things!
    RIP 97XJ

Member #
    Images
    You should be able to find a lot of inspiration for your build on this site! Search users SlipkoTJ and Bent Axle for some great TJ builds.
    99' TJ AW4, Atlas 3.8, 60 14B 5.13's 110" 40" Sticky Creepies
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?190218-Tons-build-for-the-TJ
    2002 F250 SD, CC, SB, auto, AFE intake, GTP38R, DP tuned, 4" MBRP, 315's

I love the name!
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Hey you're alive! And still have a jeep.!
    71 eb 302, np435,dana 20,dana 44,9in,35s,detorit in the 9,open frnt 4wheel disc finally power steering the BASS BOAT!!
    2005 jeep Rubicon LJ 4.5 RE kit on 33KM2s

Hey Flip! Yes, I still have THE Jeep. The only one I've ever had.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TJRecreation View Post
    You should be able to find a lot of inspiration for your build on this site! Search users SlipkoTJ and Bent Axle for some great TJ builds.
    Also search Trailbud's build from last year about this time... TJ on "Wontons" at MFI ....... hey he named the thread, not me....

This is the Pro Shop, right? Well, I am getting ready to graduate in May at CSU with a Mechanical Engineering degree. This means I have access to lots of tools!

I am currently designing a full truss for the front that will be cut on a CNC machine and welded to the axle. I have been scouring the internets for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJeepGuy View Post
    If he wants a lower ride height, that truss makes it harder to accomplish. That truss eats up the entire axle tube space...meaning the lower shock mounts will be on top of a truss=higher ride height.
    04' TJ on tons and fordies

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbud View Post
    If he wants a lower ride height, that truss makes it harder to accomplish. That truss eats up the entire axle tube space...meaning the lower shock mounts will be on top of a truss=higher ride height.
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...et_p_1154.html

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...ED_p_1625.html

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-29891.html

Or, just do what I did on mine and get these & put them wherever you want on the axle tube.

Thanks, TheJeepGuy, but I am going to produce my own as it is cheaper for me to use the tools I have at my disposal than it is to have someone else do it for me.

I may still order a couple of small things like the shock tabs and stuff, but we will see.

Plus it's fun to do your own design and build it. Plus SW is a great tool to use. Designing my own taller coil towers...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJeepGuy View Post
    None of those brackets will fit the short side of a 85.5-91 Ford D60 though.

Member #
    I am stuck in this very same boat. I have the Artec truss and it seems they are the only mfg that supports my 85-91 axle. So I will have to mount the front shock mounts a little higher and just can't see another way of doing it.

Member #
    Images
    or raise the upper shock mounts?
    The Car Guy

Quote Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
    or raise the upper shock mounts?
    Yup

Okay, so the objectives of this build have changed dramatically. I sold my pickup and I am now going to finish out the suspension on this thing and begin daily driving it like I did when I had it on 37s 7 years ago. This should be interesting.

I graduated in May and found a decent paying job. I also lost all the access I had to the fab tools. I have ordered just about every bracket, truss, and tab that I need to build out my suspension from Ruff Stuff and Artec.

I spent a couple of weekends grinding off all the old brackets on the frame and getting it ready for all the 1-ton stuff. I bought all my frame side stuff from Ruff Stuff and all the axle side stuff from Artec.

This weekend's progress:

Got the truss and lower link brackets tacked in and the steering sort of figured out. The goal is to get a fair amount of stretch in the front without too much work. I am willing to relocate the steering box if need be, but right now it looks like, if I run the track bar behind the axle, I should be able to run the steering as is.

Changing to a wagoneer Pitman arm helps in the tight steering set ups.

That is a beefy truss! It must weigh more than 100lbs alone?? But beefy is good in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by Impaired View Post
    Changing to a wagoneer Pitman arm helps in the tight steering set ups.
    I appreciate your input and I will look into that. I take it the splines are the same between a waggy and a TJ?

Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    That is a beefy truss! It must weigh more than 100lbs alone?? But beefy is good in my book!
    It's a real nice truss. I'm not sold on running it, however, because it is severely limiting my up travel at the engine crank. It may end up on the chopping block or I may modify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebo View Post
    I appreciate your input and I will look into that. I take it the splines are the same between a waggy and a TJ?
    Yes. Flat, straight out rather than drop, so I thought it was easier to work with.

Well I came home from work last week and found four of these in my garage:

More progress from this weekend. This weekend was kind of productive. Got the front links on the frame where I think I want them. There will be more structure added to them once I feel like they won't be changed.

I really wish this thing wasn't an hour and a half drive away.
    Last edited by Kebo; March 9th, 2015 at 07:28 AM.

Progress:

The frame side brackets are in with some final welding left to do there. I hope to have it on its own weight in about 2 weeks to figure out the steering. I have also decided that a 1" body lift will help with a lot of clearance issues between the frame rails, so I will either add pucks or get those fancy fabricated, armored body mounts to weld in.

Here's the updates from my other forum.

Well I haven't been updating but I have been busy. I have the front suspension all together, minus some gusseting in some areas. I finally brought it back home to work in my own garage now.

Next will be steering. I already ordered and have received my ruff stuff y-link kit so I need to figure out the steering box location. Other than that, I have brakes, shafts, lockouts, driveshaft, bumpstops, and shock hoops to get done before I can move on to the rear. I also need to put together my radiator, condenser, and grille (and fab some fenders but I will do that after its back on the road) to round out the front, but I can worry about that later.

Alright, so despite my silence, I have been working on this beast. First order was to acquire an essential fabrication tool for my new garage. I picked up this massive Enco drill press on Craigslist. I'm still trying to find the right chuck key for it, but I have affixed a harbor freight 2-axis vise and the whole setup has been working like a champ!

There is something so satisfying about notching tube like this:

I decided to cut the front of the frame off as it would make things easier in a lot of ways when I went to relocate my steering box. I'm not sure I want to even reuse the stock box. A forward swinging box would suit my application better, but I'm going to press on.

Anyway here's what I've done to the frame:

Final welding in progress. Those pointy things will be hammered to taper into the tubes and welded fast.

Alright, I'm working on getting the steering and bump stops wrapped up and then moving on to shock hoops. Pics.

Member #
    Images
    why not full Hydro?
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Funny you ask. I have 90% of a full hydro setup (ram, orbital, etc. minus a pump), but I plan on driving this on the street a good amount.

Member #
    Images
    Oh yeah that's right, Carry on!

Okay, more updates. I got the t-case mount built. I also built shock hoops and got the front shocks in. I discovered the castor angle is too far forward, so that will have to move back a few degrees. Other than that it's getting there. I still have to acquire a set of wheels and tires, springs for the coilovers, and a driveshaft for the rear. I am sure I'm simplifying that a little, but those are the big things for driving it.

The focus has turned to the rear axle, seen sitting in front of my jeep in the last pic, which I have acquired, stripped, and am in the middle of prepping for the rear artec truss and brackets. I have some good four link numbers nailed down and I will be building the frame side stuff as well. Hoping to have it back on all fours in a few weeks' time.