Thread: Meguiar's Where has this technology been all my life!?!?

Member #

Meguiar's Where has this technology been all my life!?!?

OK, I know its a stretch for a product review, but hey, it's something I have not done for a few years.

I was old school for a long time. I used the elbow grease method of waxing my rigs, but you know, that crap is a lot of work especially when your waxing a truck, there is alot of metal! Heck, I just started last year of finally trusting the brush at the car wash facility. I used to be worried that I would scratch the paint right off my truck. So I used to do it with a sponge and chamos at home.

Anyway, after years of taking most of a day detailing my vehicles, I decided to research and be open minded to these new to me fangled car care products. This what I used:

So it all started by I had seen a guy at the carwash the other day spraying something on his BLACK truck. And damn, his truck looked good. He was just spritzing it on and wiping it with a microfiber towel. So I asked him about it. It was some sort of quick detailer stuff. Like I said, his truck looked fabulous!

So I figured, WTH! My truck is 6 years old now lets experiment. OK, I know it is in my garage, but it was pretty much freezing outside today and the wind sucked. I can honestly say my truck is more shiney than it was new. I went a little crazy and even used the tire spray foam in the wheel wells to make them look deep black.

So pretty much what took me almost a whole afternoon if not a day only took an hour or so on the outside. My detail routine consists of:

Car wash: Automatic if it's just dusty which runs about $9 for the ultimate deluxe, or $10 by using the self service bay. Soap, brush, rinse, wax, spot free.

At home I used the Ultimate Detailer which says it has a 12hr cure time after applying it (which I will use regularly after a car wash) and then I applied the Ultimate wax. What is cool about this stuff is you can use it on the black plastics of the vehicle as well as the glass. You know it works when you go to climb in the back of your truck to wax the roof after you waxed the bed rals and you almost bust your ass because it is slippery now LOL!

Inside I used these new to me detailer wipes in the pics. Its 110% better than spraying some greasy crap on the dash or a rag and wiping it down. It dosen't get all over the inside glass like spray stuff. I also wax the door jambs and wheels.

So, this stuff is has probably been out forever I know, but for me just discovering it was pretty cool in the time savings. With all this mag chloride crap they spray and especially with winter coming, I am glad I will be more proactive cleaning my stuff.
    My name is Daniel. I pretty much do what I want.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJROCKRIG View Post
    Car wash: Automatic if it's just dusty which runs about $9 for the ultimate deluxe, or $10 by using the self service bay. Soap, brush, rinse, wax, spot free.
    I wash my vehicles at the self service bay. For vehicles that I really care about, I do a similar routine to you. However, I'm nervous about what that brush has been through. It looks a little too abrasive to the paint and there's always some level of crud in there. Instead, I turn on the brush, but then I just lay it on the top of the vehicle, so it's spitting out suds in the middle of the car. Then I use a cheap sponge I pick up at the local autozone/7-11/hardware store. Usually about 2 bucks. It's less abrasive and I know it's not caked with dirt. I use the suds from the brush with the sponge. I often just throw the sponge out when I'm done cleaning.

At home I used the Ultimate Detailer which says it has a 12hr cure time after applying it (which I will use regularly after a car wash) and then I applied the Ultimate wax.
    So you applied the Detailer first, waited 12 hours, then applied the wax? Both are spray on/wipe off? Impressive results!

Member #
    I tend to use a carwash that's north of town where nicer vehicles usually go vs. some of the others that see muddy construction/oilfield trucks. Then I spray the bubble brushes out really well. Oh also I use the horse hair vs. the nylon bristle ones.

I initially used the quick detailer to try it out. It seems to basicly clean the paint well with polimers to protect the paint and shined it with some slickness. Then I wanted to try the wax. It was easy and made the paint really slick like a wax does. And yes they are spray on like a spritzer pattern. No rubbing really. Just wipe the spray around. I used one microfiber for that and another to wipe it off. I did use more effort because my truck needed a good initial buffing.

From here I will use the quick detailer after regular washes. Wal-mart sells a pack of 15 multicolored microfiber towels for like $10.

Main thing for me was the tremendous time savings and a 1/4 of the effort.
    Last edited by ZJROCKRIG; October 5th, 2013 at 01:37 AM.

Member #
    Wanted to update on this product. I actually used the quick detailer on my BLACK dusty Harley a couple weeks ago. I was a little nervous as black is going to show everything and here I was not washing the dirty bike but strictly using the quick detailer and microfiber towel, one to wipe and spread and one to dry and buff.

Stuff is awesome! Not one swirl nor mark, haze, or scratch. Also it leaves that slick just waxed feeling.

A week later I decided to wash it and then hit it with the spray wax. It works flawless too.

I now keep a bottle of the quick detailer in the bike and truck. Stuff is really great.

Member #
    Unrelated, I know, but what size tires are you running?
    Advanced Frameworks CJ-7 Frame, 5.3, 4L60E, D300, D60/35 spline, 14 bolt, 86 cj tub, Poison Spyder body armor, 37's, gen right 3 link front, 4 link rear, ORI,s , etc blah blah blah.

Member #
    Those were 315 (35's) BFG but I did not like them, most of it was because the D range.

I now sport Coopers 35's

Member #
    I don't think I've actually washed my jeep in over 5 years.
    "The first time is experience. The second time is stupid."