Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seven reasons to vote against Amendment 64

Seven Reasons to Vote Against Amendment 64

1. The drug cartels may lose the money they desperately need to purchase Fast and Furious weapons, wage war against the police and rival gangs, or bribe public officials.
    2. Police may have to spend thier time going after more dangerous criminals and they may have to use something other than confiscated property to finance their departments.
    3. Some prosecutors, lawyers, and judges might not have all the extra work that the MJ Prohibition business brings in and may have too much time on thier hands to prosecute other crimes.
    4. Taxes would be raised on poor drug users.
    5. Too much money may be given to public schools as a result of these taxes.
    6. We would lose our ability to turn otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals.
    7. Worst of all, adults may choose to "pursue happiness" in a manner that I don't approve.
    I started with nothing, and I've got most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by samfromco View Post
    seven reasons to vote against amendment 64

1. The drug cartels may lose the money they desperately need to purchase fast and furious weapons, wage war against the police and rival gangs, or bribe public officials.
    2. Police may have to spend thier time going after more dangerous criminals and they may have to use something other than confiscated property to finance their departments.
    3. Some prosecutors, lawyers, and judges might not have all the extra work that the mj prohibition business brings in and may have too much time on thier hands to prosecute other crimes.
    6. We would lose our ability to turn otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals.
    7. Worst of all, adults may choose to "pursue happiness" in a manner that i don't approve.
    sold!
    "I went up that in 2WD"

Dude, I have no faith in the criminal justice system. Every time someone is arrested a whole bunch of people get paid. It's sick.
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson -

Quote Originally Posted by SamFromCO View Post
    7. Worst of all, adults may choose to "pursue happiness" in a manner that I don't approve.
    The only reason that matters.

1. The drug cartels may lose the money they desperately need to purchase Fast and Furious weapons, wage war against the police and rival gangs, or bribe public officials.
    Really wouldn't surprise me if the drug cartels were funding the lobbyists/politicians that keep it illegal at the fed level. They have a lot to lose if it becomes legal.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man View Post
    Really wouldn't surprise me if the drug cartels were funding the lobbyists/politicians that keep it illegal at the fed level. They have a lot to lose if it becomes legal.
    I swear that I head that they do...have to look it up sometime.

Member #
    Images
    i have a couple observations.

a few years ago there was an amendment that did pass that was sold to voters as something that would always take care of school funding needs... to me there should not be any need for additional school funding???

been watching hulu for a couple weeks now. each commercial break has the same mj ad.... i always come away with some feeling that theres irony in using drug money for schools?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYj7q_by_2E

Omar Little in court...(the end of the video is my point, start at the 6min mark)

"I've got the shot gun, you got the brief case...It's all in the game though, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by vb View Post
    i have a couple observations.

a few years ago there was an amendment that did pass that was sold to voters as something that would always take care of school funding needs... to me there should not be any need for additional school funding???

been watching hulu for a couple weeks now. each commercial break has the same mj ad.... i always come away with some feeling that theres irony in using drug money for schools?
    "Drug money"...Awesome! Because how many pharma companies contribute to schools?

This sh!t is ridiculous. Because schools don't need money...

The people who really make money off weed are in the criminal justice system.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    so? where will the system turn to for all their money if 64 passes? they still need those funds and then some for their racket

i always come away with some feeling that theres irony in using drug money for schools?
    Kinda like cigarette taxes pay for healthcare?

Member #
    Images
    hey!!! we were told years ago... what was it??? amendment 3 or 33 something like that???? if it passed schools would have plenty of money and we would never need to pass another amendment for schools etc..... we talked a lot about it here!!!!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.TJ View Post
    Kinda like cigarette taxes pay for healthcare?
    not exactly...

hey!!! we were told years ago... what was it??? amendment 3 or 33 something like that???? if it passed schools would have plenty of money and we would never need to pass another amendment for schools etc..... we talked a lot about it here!!!!
    And you believed them?

so? where will the system turn to for all their money if 64 passes? they still need those funds and then some for their racket
    Oh, I don't want to get it "twisted"...People will try to take advantage of tax money when things are illegal and people will try to take advantage of tax money when things are legal. The "racket" is instituitionalized and plays off fears and horror stories, IMO. Eventually, someone will try to raise revenue in CO by taxing and they'll look for a reason.

No idea what it was, but it hasn't worked regardless. My wife is a teacher (4th grade) and over the past 5 years her salary has gone up from 41k to 43k. Less than inflation. Her actual (take home) paycheck has been unchanged for the most part since other costs seem to go up and offset any increase she received. Her class size has gone from 21 to 31 kids during that time.

St. Vrain passed a bond issue two Novembers ago that was touted as pay for teachers. The school district, after having been awarded the bond, came back and said it wasn't really for teacher salaries, but for school improvements. The awesome union fought and for the most part, did nothing except drain money from both the union and district. So over the last 2 years, class sizes have increased by nearly 50%, she has gotten various projectors and laptops to "help her teach", rooms have been getting new windows and sky lights. All she wants is a smaller class size. She can't effectively teach that many kids regardless of how nice of a projector/laptop she has or how nice the outside light is.

Schools need money, and are getting some, but it isn't being put where it needs to be.
    Last edited by ArloGuthroJeep; October 18th, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
    '04 WJ 4.0L @ 6" on Clayton LA's & 35" BFG MT KM2's - [center][url=www.rockfrogs.org][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Rock Frogs![/B][/COLOR][/url] - [url=http://www.treadlightly.org][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Tread Lightly[/B][/COLOR][/url] - [url=http://www.staythetrail.org][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Stay The Trail[/B][/COLOR][/url][/center]

The proceeds from the lottery were supposed to go to the parks. Since those funds have been redirected is that a good reason to get rid of the lottery?

The proceeds from the lottery were supposed to go to the parks. Since those funds have been redirected is that a good reason to get rid of the lottery?
    It's almost as if our society values opinions more than it values knowledge

How about this:
    Drug War Profiteers are Funding the Campaign Against Legalized Marijuana in Colorado
    There’s a well-funded campaign being waged to convince voters to oppose this amendment. Calling itself Smart Colorado, this group claims that passing Amendment 64 would “harm” the state’s children and generally cause havoc.
    Let’s take a look at some of the campaign’s biggest funders:
    Police And Police Associations: The police profit off of the drug war because they gain access to drug enforcement grants that allow them to hire additional staff and purchase more equipment.
    Drug Rehab Centers: The single largest donation to Smart Colorado comes from an organization called Save Our Society from Drugs based in Florida. It gave a whopping $126,497.21 to the campaign. The organization, as The Nation’s Lee Fang documents, runs abusive drug rehab centers that have been compared to “torture.”
    The Hospitality Industry:The hospitality industry includes food services, alcohol, and other activities that are competitors to recreational marijuana use.
    http://boldprogressives.org/drug-war...a-in-colorado/

vb, as far as I'm concerned these guys are the Knobby Bobbys of the Prohibition movement. They want theirs regardless and they got bucks to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    No idea what it was, but it hasn't worked regardless. My wife is a teacher (4th grade) and over the past 5 years her salary has gone up from 41k to 43k. Less than inflation.

St. Vrain passed a bond issue two Novembers ago that was touted as pay for teachers. The school district, after having been awarded the bond, came back and said it wasn't really for teacher salaries, but for school improvements. The awesome union fought and for the most part, did nothing except drain money from both the union and district. So over the last 2 years, class sizes have increased by nearly 50%, she has gotten various projectors and laptops to "help her teach", rooms have been getting new windows and sky lights. All she wants is a smaller class size. She can't effectively teach that many kids regardless of how nice of a projector/laptop she has or how nice the outside light is.

Schools need money, and are getting some, but it isn't being put where it needs to be.
    St. Vrain pays the lowest average teacher salaries among large Front Range school districts and ranks 16th in average teacher salary among 22 Front Range school districts. St Vrain ranks 130th out of 178 school districts in per student funding in the state. And Colorado, as a state, is among the lowest in the nation. Between 2008-2012, per student funding for K-12 by the State of Colorado has declined by 9.4 percent. St Vrain district has been hit with $20 million in state funding cuts over the last three years, or about 10% of its budget.

In 2002 with 22,000 students, the St. Vrain Valley School District had a $122 million budget, and an infamous $14 million deficit prompting a criminal investigation and resignation of an administrator resulting in litigation that the taxpayers also had to foot the bill for. News of one of the worst financial disasters in the state, wasn’t made public until days after voters approved a $213 million school construction bond.

If the Legislature had continued to fund schools as it had under Amendment 23 -- lawmakers changed the formula in 2010 -- St. Vrain would be receiving $32.5 million more this year. That would have meant a 32 percent increase in state funding, which equals a 16 percent increase to the district's general fund.

Either way much better outlook than some others have seen over the past few years... I went from 80k+ a year to 40k and crappier hours.

I guess what I am saying is there are worse things out there than getting a raise while the State is cutting funding.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man View Post
    from the 80's...

06 rubicon unlimited, Rokmen all around

Carl Sagan: "If it can be destroyed by the truth, then it deserves to be destroyed by the truth"

Dude, I have no faith in the criminal justice system. Every time someone is arrested a whole bunch of people get paid. It's sick.
    Wait, wut? can it be my turn now?
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Bilbo Baggins
    September 22nd, 1401 SR

no, your part of the system, so everything you say will be stupid....

(i am kidding)
    [I]"I'm not just sure Butters, I'm HIV Positive"[/I]
    Eric Cartman
    [I]"I have a chief of staff and a personal assistant, and everyone needs that."[/I]
    Michelle Obama

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.TJ View Post
    And you believed them?
    i knew better and said it then, here, and was teased by the bullies

Member #
    Images
    wasn't that 2A and 2B ? - if I remember correctly, only one passed and the other was worded so poorly that its been changed quite a few times as it needed both to pass to be effective; and it was for higher ed as well.

I can tell you that after a year of being quite involved in my local PTA and Accountability board, that the money is not being given to the schools. I've seen the salaries of all the admin from local k-12 up to the superintendent and they aren't being paid exorbitantly and some have actually been taking pay cuts so they are able to keep some jobs in the system (though that does vary from district to district). Class sizes are too dang big, more and more hours are being required of the teachers, more and more paperwork is being required of everyone involved, basic maintenance of buildings is not happening at the rate it should, budgets for libraries, arts, music, sports, science labs, etc are being cut. The majority of technology used in schools as well as field trips and other enrichment programs are being paid for by money raised by the PTAs as there is no money in the State budget for it.

The sad fact is, we as a society value entertainment more than education and until that changes, it will continue to be an issue
    -Ben
    74 Bronco garage queen - currently a zero emission vehicle
    my commuter vehicle spews "global warming" gas CO2 & CH4 - dang bicycles :D

My wife is a teacher in JeffCo. This was at least 2 years in a row where she took a pay cut. Like others said, this is at the same time when they are significantly increasing class sizes. I'm not exaggerating to say that her class sizes have doubled over the past 8 years.

I was a teacher once and it was fun. It's not really fun anymore. You couldn't pay me to be a teacher these days.

Of course, I see the problem as the voters refusal to increase property taxes. I would vote for a 2x increase in my property taxes if that money went to funding education. The Denver area has the lowest property taxes of any place I have lived or even heard of. You could double my property taxes and they would still be the lowest of any place that I have lived or even heard of. If the people aren't willing to pay for it, then it will continue to be terrible. Colorado is on track to be the next Mississippi as far as education goes. Hard to believe that a geographic area with such a high percentage of educated people can be so collectively dumb.
    http://www.tmboffroad.com

Member #
    Images

Back to the OP

3. Some prosecutors, lawyers, and judges might not have all the extra work that the MJ Prohibition business brings in and may have too much time on thier hands to prosecute other crimes.
    Good list. I'm convinced and will, for the above stated resons, vote against Amendment 64.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded.
    Life is good! [B]לחיים

[/B][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=black][URL="http://www.militaryjeepers.com/community/index.php"]MilitaryJeepers.com[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post
    Good list. I'm convinced and will, for the above stated resons, vote against Amendment 64.
    Which one did you like best?

Member #
    Images
    Which one did you like best?
    1-#3

2-#6

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post
    1-#3

Oh no. More lame puns......
    Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. Benjamin Franklin
    klaatu barada nikto

Quid Futuis

Member #
    Images
    In all seriousness, how are they going to collect the taxes to have to the schools? I know plenty of growers and its not like 64 is going to make them suddenly tithe 20% to the man.
    '79 FJ-40 DD with a V8 and some rust. Mall-rated. Now with 35" Buckshots.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kfuss View Post
    In all seriousness, how are they going to collect the taxes to have to the schools? I know plenty of growers and its not like 64 is going to make them suddenly tithe 20% to the man.
    People can brew their own beer at home super cheap too. And many do. But it's a hell of a lot easier to stop by the liquor store. Much like it would be a lot easier to stop by a pot store than to worry about water and grow lamps and CO2 tanks and mold and crap. People are generally lazy and will pay for convenience. Pot heads are no exception.

I'm for legalization mostly for the reasoning of #7. It's not my place to judge what people do in their own homes. When it infringes on my rights, then I have a problem. But do what ever you want in your own home.

However, it was brought up that every pot head in the nation will want to move here if we do legalize it. That DOES concern me. I know many people that smoke, but they don't make a lifestyle out of it. They don't bother me. I dislike the lifestyle potheads. And I'm afraid that's who we're going to attract. People normally confined to Boulder will think they can live near me... and that's just wrong.

That's basically the only reason Gov. Hickenlooper doesn't support the bill. He doesn't want Colorado's image to be "the pot capitol of America". And I can definitely see that side.
    Last edited by Quick Draw; October 18th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
    1980 Toyota Pickup (AKA Doris) - 3.4L V6 Auto, Dual t-cases, 5.29 w/ Detroits, 39.5" Iroks

Member #
    Images
    there'll be some of that, but much more than the "pot capital", we'll be the first state to act on the fact that "everyone is doing it" isn't a valid reason to do something stupid.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    [QUOTE=Gags;2216435]I say some stupid sh!t here.[/QUOTE]

Member #
    Colorado was the first state to vote to end prohibition of alcohol in 1932 before the repeal of the Volstead act. Hopefully we vote to end prohibition of marijuana and set a trend that ends the failed policy of prohibition of marijuana.
    -Nate
    2k XJ

Member #
    Images
    im thinking i want to go back to school after seeing the commercial for 64..... where were the super hot teachers when i was a kid??

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbx400 View Post
    im thinking i want to go back to school after seeing the commercial for 64..... where were the super hot teachers when i was a kid??
    They all looked like old women back then. Now they all look like cute young things. I can't figger that out.
    Lunatic #15
    "A government big enough to give you a righteous buzz is also big enough to harsh your mellow." -Zapp
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Yeah then you have the kid that is engaged to his teacher/former football cheerleader. Go him.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave McDonald View Post
    They all looked like old women back then. Now they all look like cute young things. I can't figger that out.
    we got hosed.... makes me want to pull a billy madison....

Quote Originally Posted by CannonBall View Post
    Colorado was the first state to vote to end prohibition of alcohol in 1932 before the repeal of the Volstead act. Hopefully we vote to end prohibition of marijuana and set a trend that ends the failed policy of prohibition of marijuana.
    -Nate
    Huh, never realized that.