Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Member #
    $hit ya!!!!!!!

Got the gauges finished up!

Hooked em up and everything works!

Still chuggin along on the small stuff. Just picked up the last of my fluids for driveline. Amsoil MTG for the NV4500, $16/quart. Eeek!

Nicely done! You have a "wait to start" light?
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    Nicely done! You have a "wait to start" light?
    Nope. The middle light is the high beam (blue). But the grid heater is on a momentary switch with an indicator on the switch. Not sure when I'll get to mounting the switches, as I'm putting them on the back burner until I get the truck running!

Mini Update:

Got the pump timed and locked in place. I put the engine at TDC when I put the head on some 3 years ago, and it was still there haha. Once the pump was timed I was able to adjust the valves (need to turn the engine to adjust all the valves).

Now I just need to add some oil and turn it over to see if I get oil pressure. This thing is sooooo freaking close to being able to fire up. I'm working on getting my fuel manifold finished up (that might hold me up now). I'm going to stop by the local maker space tonight. They have a couple bridgports, CNC mills, and a lathe. Not a bad setup, I really miss having access to a machine shop!

I'm shooting for first fire by the end of May.

Member #
    Images
    cant wait to see this thing running!
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Well I got the engine timed and the valve adjusted. Turned it over to check for oil pressure and got nothing! Cranked it 3 times at 10-15 seconds each. Then cranked it for about 20 seconds, then gave up. The oil pump is not pumping oil.

Here's my thoughts: I did not put Vaseline on the pump gear when i installed it, I could try taking the pump apart and packing it with Vaseline to help it pull suction. The second thought is there is an air leak in the pickup tube. This could be caused by a crack in the tube or the pickup tube not seating correctly on the flange. I think this is less likely, but still possible.

Anyone have any suggestions? Pulling the pump is a small job compared to pulling the oil pan to get to the suction tube. I'm kinda frustrated and needed to walk away from this and have some time to think about it.

I can understand your frustration! I just dropped in a freshly built motor into my bronco to find a cracked head!

But this is such a cool project that I hope you come back to it soon!

Member #
    Images
    Pack the pump first. Did you fill the oil filter with oil?
    Tired of being tired.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    --Robert Heinlein

PROUD PARENT OF A UNITED STATES MARINE!!! Sleep Well America, My Marine Has Got Your Back... Proud Parent of a Sailor, in the United States Navy.......

Lunatic? just call me the duece

The Original Opie-Gone-Bad!!! Aaron's Avatar
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
    ^^^This^^^

You know where I am at if you wanna chat or even just blow off some steam.

Quote Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
    I did fill the oil filter full of oil. I'll try packing the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    ^^^This^^^

You know where I am at if you wanna chat or even just blow off some steam.
    I may come harass you this week. You get compounds on that thing yet?

Member #
    Images
    that sucks to hear man... you'll get it just keep after it!

We've got oil pressure! Packed the pump with Vaseline and within 10 seconds of cranking I had pressure. Thanks all for the help!

I'm going to try to get the fuel manifold finished up this week, thats the last big thing holding me up from starting. I should have this thing running by the end of the month.

Member #
    Images
    that's great news!

I think many of us are almost as excited as you are!!!

Started on the fuel manifold last night. Got all the milling done, just have to bore and tap holes. Great to be back playing on the mill!

Made the rear wiring harness for rear lights, speed signal, fuel pump, etc.

nice! i'm so jealous of the mill, as i finish up my garage remodel i have a spot picked out for one.
    1950 CJ3a - Wilma
    1999 F350 PSD - Betty

Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    nice! i'm so jealous of the mill, as i finish up my garage remodel i have a spot picked out for one.
    Thats not mine. I signed up for the Creatorspace in Loveland (where I live). They have a full machine shop that I can use 24/7. They also have one in Longmont (different name), and I'm sure there's more elsewhere. Very cool place, and beats buying the machines myself. The members there are very helpful too, lots of machinists, welders, and entrepreneurs.

Got halfway done drilling and tapping my holes, then realized I don't have a drill bit for 9/16-18 tap (33/64)! Ordered that, should be here Friday. Then I can finish up this fuel manifold this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf View Post
    Thats not mine. I signed up for the Creatorspace in Loveland (where I live). They have a full machine shop that I can use 24/7. They also have one in Longmont (different name), and I'm sure there's more elsewhere. Very cool place, and beats buying the machines myself. The members there are very helpful too, lots of machinists, welders, and entrepreneurs.
    wow thats cool, i should check out the one in Longmont, would only be 15 minutes from home.

wow thats cool, i should check out the one in Longmont, would only be 15 minutes from home.
    Link to the TinkerMill in Longmont is below. Only $50 a month membership. I don't know that much about the TinkerMill, but my membership to the Creatorspace in Loveland gives me 24/7 access to everything.

http://www.tinkermill.org/membership.html

Got the manifold finished and hooked up, and all the fuel lines plumbed. Had a few leaks when I turned the pump on around the banjo bolts, but tightened them up and she's good to go.

Return lines on the right, pressure lines on the left. Gauge is reading 45 psi, which is correct supply pressure from the FASS pump. I'll probably keep the gauge mounted permanent.

Air filter is also mounted. Had to move the horn back ~1.5", but it fits pretty good. I'll probably build a shield around the turbo to help keep heat away from the air intake. Cold air=dense air=more power!

Oh, forgot to mention....IT RUNS!!!

Here's the first start. I'll post some more vids of it running. Getting a driveshaft built today, should be driving around the neighborhood next weekend!

https://youtu.be/IdM8Hz6k3AM

Member #
    Images

Here's the first start. I'll post some more vids of it running. Getting a driveshaft built today, should be driving around the neighborhood next weekend!

Congrats Kyle!

You have to be so excited!

Looks and sounds good. Now you just need to start trimming all the zip ties in the engine bay

Congrats Kyle!

You have to be so excited!

Looks and sounds good. Now you just need to start trimming all the zip ties in the engine bay
    Thanks!

Haha, I was wondering when someone would notice that! They'll all be gone, the wiring will be wrapped in split loom.

Member #

That's freakin' cool! I want this truck, just can't / couldn't afford it.

Keep posting bro!

Member #
    Images
    Very cool! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    - Steven

So cool!! It's downhill from here yeah?

Took her for a spin over the weekend! Around the neighborhood. Everything seems to work good. Now just gotta button up all the wiring and loose ends so I can get it on the road!

https://youtu.be/XANn7jOKgxk

https://youtu.be/ZtZqS4oJ-AA

https://youtu.be/P5xvmvkVl48

Found these in the driveway today! 325/65-18 (~35") Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Tires I have on it are bald 37's. The 35's will fit much better, and look better I think.

Member #
    Images
    Congrats again Kyle! So happy for you!

Looks like you are sitting VERY high in the cab. Is that just an optical illusion?

Now that your tow rig is up and running, what are you planning on towing with it? We all know the bikes don't need that HD of a rig...

Congrats again Kyle! So happy for you!

Looks like you are sitting VERY high in the cab. Is that just an optical illusion?

Now that your tow rig is up and running, what are you planning on towing with it? We all know the bikes don't need that HD of a rig...
    Well, the milk crate I'm sitting on puts me pretty high in the cab!

As far as towing, I'm just happy to (almost) have a truck again! But I've got a 16 ft enclosed trailer for camping/dirtbikes. But there has been talk about a buggy in the future...

Member #
    So, this is becoming one of the coolest trucks ever in my world

Such an awesome build! You'll love the Duratrax! I'm on my second set, nothing comes close for highway performance in nasty conditions!

Member #
    Images
    very nice!

Such an awesome build! You'll love the Duratrax! I'm on my second set, nothing comes close for highway performance in nasty conditions!
    It was hard to open my wallet that far, but it'll be well worth it. I'll be driving this thing alot in harsh weather, since my other option is the Corolla!

Soooo...Did I mention that I overheated the power steering pump when breaking in the cam? Yup, didn't bleed it. Figured it would be alright since I wasn't using the brakes or steering. Well it got hot enough to melt the plastic on the dipstick.

So I got a new pump, and while I was in there I replaced the seals in the vacuum pump, which tend to leak.

I also made a bracket for the power steering pump. The vacuum pump and power steering pump are bolted together, and only attached at the timing cover (aluminum). On the 94+ engines there's a bracket that ties the PS pump to the block, but not on the 93- engines. So, I made one hell of a beefy bracket from 3/16". 3 bends, weird shape, it was a fun bracket to build! Got the bends right on the first try though. I'll post some installed pictures later.

More updates to come. Trying real hard to finish up this wiring!

Member #
    Images
    Keep at it Kyle! You are going to have a really nice truck when you get it all finished up.

You use the brake you fabbed to bend that bracket up?

Keep at it Kyle! You are going to have a really nice truck when you get it all finished up.

You use the brake you fabbed to bend that bracket up?
    Yessir! Works great for what it is. I'll probably upgrade to some thing bigger and a finger brake in the future, but this is a HUGE upgrade from using a vise and hammer.

A little teaser pic:

Those old school keys bring back some memories!