And then I got this:

From this:

Got your attention yet?

Here's the plans:

-500 hp 12 Valve Cummins
    -NV4500 5 Speed
    -Dana 60 Front
    -Body work, paint, make it look good kinda stuff
    -Lots of little improvements (roof lights, bumpers, etc)

Within a couple months of when I bought it, I had to rebuild the whole front end. Ball joints, wheels bearings, seals. Going to upgrade to a 60 in the future.

Also, the rear axle was shot. The carrier had about an 1/8" of play in it, and there were teeth missing off the pinion. So I went to the junk yard and picked this up for $100. (14 Bolt open w/ 3.73).

Bling Bling from Ruffstuff!!

Nice clean axle under a dirty old truck.

While I had the truck up, I figured I'd do a little majic trick!

There it is:

There its gone!

Started work on the rear bumper. Decided to inset it into the bed about 1". Made from 4x6" 3/16" wall tubing. Ends will be capped. 2" receiver. Stout as hell!

This is pretty much where I'm at with the truck. I'm trying to keep it on the road as much as possible with the mods. I'll update more when I get the rear bumper done (hopefully next week!)

-Kyle

Member #
    I need to keep an eye on this !
    2 OF THE VOICES IN MY HEAD SAY THE WORLD IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE. THE THIRD KEEPS YELLING PULL THE TRIGGER.

EVERY TIME YOU KEEP YOURE MOUTH SHUT SO YOU DONT OFFEND SOMEONE YOU LOSE A LITTLE PEACE OF YOURE 1ST AMENDMENT RIGHTS !!!!!

Member #
    Images
    There's another guy on this board, NORD I think, that has a similar year Ford with a Cummins transplanted into it.
    Why is it that common sense isn't so common anymore?

Member #
    Images
    This will be pretty cool to see finished.

Who is doing your pump work, injectors, turbo?
    03 Rubicon TJ, needs work.
    https://m.facebook.com/ClownsInc

Member #
    I can't wait to see this one!!!

I was doing the same project with an '85 Dodge Crew Cab 1-ton 4WD short bed and got short on time and attention. So, I sold the entire project.

I would have preferred the truck that you have.

Coolness waiting to happen
    Last edited by Rex Ashton; October 11th, 2012 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    This will be pretty cool to see finished.

Who is doing your pump work, injectors, turbo?
    Rob @ Maxtorq in Golden, CO. I took a trip down to talk to him early one morning. Good guy, and very knowledgeable on everything Cummins. He's going to be a big help with this build.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    I can't wait to see this one!!!

I was doing the same project with an '85 Dodge Crew Cab 1-ton 4WD short bed and got short on time and attention. So, I sold the entire project.

I would have preferred the truck that you have.

Coolness waiting to happen
    These old Dentside crew cabs are hard to come by. They only made about 10K a year (Compared to about 1 million total trucks a year for Ford). The body needs some work, but its pretty solid and a good base for a project.

-Kyle

Keep doing it right and this can turn out to be a pretty sweet ride. I have to ask though, why are you ditching the newer truck?

Oh, and IMO removal of that bumper constituted deredneckification. You're going to need to try harder, or change the title of the thread

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Keep doing it right and this can turn out to be a pretty sweet ride. I have to ask though, why are you ditching the newer truck?

Oh, and IMO removal of that bumper constituted deredneckification. You're going to need to try harder, or change the title of the thread
    Haha, yea thats whole point of the build. Its pretty much a redneck truck the way I bought it with the hillbilly rollbar, front pushbar, and just overall appearance. My goal is to make it into a nice truck that I wouldn't mind picking up a hot date with.

As for the new truck, the 2010 was a 5.4L, and just wasn't enough power. I wanted a diesel, but didn't want to spend the money for a new pickup, although I really like the new Ford 6.7L's. I always wanted one of these dentsides, they're just cool trucks!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf View Post
    Rob @ Maxtorq in Golden, CO. I took a trip down to talk to him early one morning. Good guy, and very knowledgeable on everything Cummins. He's going to be a big help with this build.
    Good choice. He has made plenty of 12V truck owners grin from ear to ear. How did you hear about the shop?

Member #
    nice project we are working on a 76 ford with a 90 12 valve swap.

94 fj80
    F-Toy F002
    Karnage Fab

Good choice. He has made plenty of 12V truck owners grin from ear to ear. How did you hear about the shop?
    Did my research and he seemed to have a good reputation. Looking forward to working with him on this build.

Have you already gotten rid of the original front axle?

IMO, the perfect platform. The Crew's are tough to come by, but if I ever get to try this swap, I will be looking for the same truck!
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Quote Originally Posted by CAC91 View Post
    Have you already gotten rid of the original front axle?
    Nope, still have it! Its a Dana 44 HP HD, 8 lug.

Quote Originally Posted by yota79crawler View Post

Awesome! Hit me up if you're ever in the Longmont area, I'll show you what I got going on.

Quote Originally Posted by yota79crawler View Post

Awesome! Hit me up if you're ever in the Longmont area, I'll show you what I got going on.

Good looking truck. What are you going to run for an injection pump?

Quote Originally Posted by jasongjco1 View Post
    Good looking truck. What are you going to run for an injection pump?
    P-Pump. Should be able to get somewhere between 450-500 out of it reliably.

UPDATE:

This post brought to you by Shift! Some good sheeeeeeet

Sorry for the long wait. Been lazy and busy with other stuff. I’m in the process of trying to get a shed built in the back yard so I can make room in the garage.

So, I finished the bumper! Turned out pretty good. Pics:

Needed a tailgate to haul some gravel for the shed base. Needed to let everyone know what I drive:

Some cool stuff:

Present from my brother. Best invention ever!

Huge D-ring at a site i was working at a couple weeks ago. Thats my chapstick to the left.

Tore the driveline out of the bronco. Not much left of the girl. Parts still available on the cheap!

And I got bored yesterday and tore out the carpet. That stuff stank worse than a *****house on sunday.

Riley helping put the seats back in. She loves hanging out in the cab while I tinker.

Well thats all for now. Might look at getting some 60/40/60 bucket seats out of a newer Ford. And waiting on a paycheck that I don't blow on coke and hookers to buy some goodies for the Cummins!

-Kyle

Member #
    Images
    shift is a great BEER!!!!!

nice update!
    rig- 04 TJ for going to the malls and tow pig- 15 F350

Member #
    Hope your neighbors like ya!....love that driveway shot!

How's the tailgate on the bronco? Pm me and we can talk.
    74 bronco in pieces
    2002 PSD
    79 Bronco built bigblock and 37s
    " EVERYTHINGS TIGHT WHEN YOUR FULLSIZE "

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOSO View Post
    How's the tailgate on the bronco?
    Hopefully better than the one on the truck that may have termite damage

Member #
    What years the Bronco?

The bronco is 78/79.

Quote Originally Posted by tantonio View Post
    Hope your neighbors like ya!....love that driveway shot!
    Lets just say I'm not the only redneck in the neighborhood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    Hopefully better than the one on the truck that may have termite damage
    Ha! The original tailgate on the truck kinda fell apart. Truck needs a new bed anyway. Its pretty beat up.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOSO View Post
    The bronco is 78/79.
    Bingo! 79.

Member #
    I could use the rotors, calipers & hubs ...

If he don't take the front brake parts I might be interested in the knuckle out parts for my 74.

Member #
    I need them for my 89 Ranger Mockup

Member #
    I didn't read too far, so I apologize if this was already mentioned:

Before you slap that NV4500 in there for good, make sure you fix the 5th gear problem. It's very common apparently. Mine lost 5th gear in Denver last Sunday, and I had to drive all the way to Fort Collins in 4th gear. I think my truck has 4.10 gears, so I could hit 60 mph with the engine almost tapped out the whole way. There's a nut that holds the 5th gear stuff on the main shaft. Heavy towing or lugging the engine (which I have a habit of doing), will work this nut loose. When it goes, 5th gear becomes a new neutral. There's a kit available:

These guys are in Arvada:
    http://fifthgearrepair.com/nv4500repair.html
    1980 Toyota Pickup (AKA Doris) - 3.4L V6 Auto, Dual t-cases, 5.29 w/ Detroits, 39.5" Iroks

Quote Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
    I didn't read too far, so I apologize if this was already mentioned:

Before you slap that NV4500 in there for good, make sure you fix the 5th gear problem. It's very common apparently. Mine lost 5th gear in Denver last Sunday, and I had to drive all the way to Fort Collins in 4th gear. I think my truck has 4.10 gears, so I could hit 60 mph with the engine almost tapped out the whole way. There's a nut that holds the 5th gear stuff on the main shaft. Heavy towing or lugging the engine (which I have a habit of doing), will work this nut loose. When it goes, 5th gear becomes a new neutral. There's a kit available:

These guys are in Arvada:
    http://fifthgearrepair.com/nv4500repair.html
    Quick Draw,

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the 5th gear problem. Still not 100% set on the NV4500, but its pretty much the only tranny that will bolt up for my application.

-Kyle

Member #
    Sounds like you got it covered. From what I have read it is a great transmission that can handle a decent bit of power, provided that the 5th gear thing is fixed. I might just tack weld my 5th gear nut on. I called that place today and they want $150 for that part. I also might contact a friend of mine. He's the guy behind the Atlas transfer case and Ox lockers. Last time I was talking to him, he had mentioned that he was working on a 5th gear fix for Dodge transmissions. This was before I knew anything about it being a problem. So he might be able to hook me up.

Looks like you have a cool project going. Can't wait to see it finished.

Hey all. Thought it might be time for an update! Since its only about 10 degrees out lately, I’ve been staying in the house and drinking beer. BUT, I got some goodies….everything I need for a P-pump swap, including the head (which you don’t need….but keep reading). The 89-91 non intercooled heads use the 9mm injectors, which the heads tend to crack. And who’d a thunk it, when I took it to the machine shop they found at least 2 cracks between the injector hole and the valves.
    Tore into the engine the other night. Top end is obviously getting rebuilt. I’ll be going head studs and marine Cummins head gasket. Talked to Rob over at Maxtorq today and we made a list of things we want to do to the engine. Cam is a possibility, it’ll help the turbo spool, which is a big help up here at 5K feet elevation. Obviously new turbo and injectors. Looking to get 500 hp, which should be very doable.

Just for fun, a big a** bottle of beer!!

Oh, and I picked up a REAL Tailgate.

This project should start rolling along pretty soon. Engine should be done within a month or so. As soon as the weather gets warmer I'll be tearing into the truck (March ish)

-Kyle

Member #
    Images
    What did ya do with the old V pump? If its not trashed I know someone that needs one.
    Tired of being tired.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    --Robert Heinlein

PROUD PARENT OF A UNITED STATES MARINE!!! Sleep Well America, My Marine Has Got Your Back... Proud Parent of a Sailor, in the United States Navy.......

Lunatic? just call me the duece

VE pump works perfectly fine. I can attest to that, I saw the engine run. PM me with everything that you want.

Quote Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
    What did ya do with the old V pump? If its not trashed I know someone that needs one.

Member #
    Images
    Thanks for the update. This will be a sweet rig when done.

It should be a fun truck. Its defiantly "one piece at a time" though.

Thanks for the update. This will be a sweet rig when done.

A quick update here. My friend came over last weekend (also a Dentside owner, he's got a 79' longbed supercab. I'll get a pic of it someday and post it up). We decided to do some bodywork!....which neither of us have never really done before....I mean, how hard can it be, right?

Have a bit of a rust on the rear passenger side by the door.

First step, make the hole bigger!

Cleaning all the sand and rust out of the hole. There was a mini beach in there!

Made a patch from a peice of the bronco I had. Looks good, and its solid!

Add some paint, and you see all the imperfections. Some body filler and that thing will look smokin!

A minor setback. Crack in the darn Timing Gear Case. Working with the guy I bought it from to get a new one.

Engine should start coming together in the coming weeks. I'll try to keep this thread updated at least once a week.

-Kyle