Free Public Shooting Ranges in Colorado

Let's compile a list of free / open shooting ranges in Colorado. In other words, designated shooting areas that do not require a fee or membership. If you find a Web link with a spot, or know of a free shooting area, post below.

FREE SHOOTING AREAS IN COLORADO
    (verified)
    Left Hand Canyon OHV Area - From Boulder, take Broadway north. Turn west onto Lee Hill Dr. Stay straight as it turns into Olde Stage Road. Turn west onto Lefthand canyon dr. Take that for 2 miles and there will be tons of cars parked together. Walk 100 yards up the little path that has bullet shells everywhere.

Chaffee County Shooting Range - Between Salida and Buena Vista on Highway 285 at MM 137; adjacent to the Chaffee County landfill.

Summit County Shooting Range - between Dillon and Keystone, just above the landfill. The street address is:
    639 County Rd 66
    Dillon, CO 80435
    Turn off U.S. Highway 6 at the landfill sign and follow the dirt road up to the scales. Stay to the right as you drive past the scales.

Grand Junction - Past the airport at the base of the book cliffs. There is a designated pistol and rifle range.

(unverified)
    Rampart Range Road - ?CLOSED? Start at The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs and drive up for about 20 minutes. The range will be on your right.
    Hot Sulphur Springs - "just across the train tracks from hwy 40 "

I-70 & Granby - ?

Harris Park - PC hwy 46 between conifer and Bailey. Go all the way up 46 till you see the fire house on your right. turn right/turn left then follow the signs

Mike Higbee State Wildlife Area - Four miles east of Lamar on US 50
    Last edited by ere109; September 6th, 2012 at 02:37 PM.

Member #
    Images
    Sure am glad I can shoot in my backyard.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

There's a BLM (I think) range just West of Hot Sulphur Springs on US-40 (west of Granby.) I've also seen a public shooting range in (I think) Gypsum that's right off of I-70.

Unfortunately, there are very few decent public shooting ranges that are less than 50 miles from the Front Range, which makes it a PITA to find someplace to shoot.
    Martin (AKA Zapp Branigan) KillBot (Retired)
    "I am the Man With No Name - Zapp Branigan!"
    2007 4Runner SR5, 4.0 Wife's vehicle: 95 YJ, 4 cyl, 5 speed STOCK!
    DD: 96 Mazda B2300 4x2, Fun Ride: 02 BMW R1150R

I appreciate your ornery nature, but I've already done that Google Search. It lists paid ranges, as does Google Maps. I had also looked at the Department of Wildlife's site, but they also list only pay-to-shoot ranges, not free/open ranges. If people know addresses/locations, I could start listing them in the first post, so there'd be a semi-compiled list.

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post

didn't there used to be something down off rampart in the springs? i know it was all trashed to hell... but i thought it looked like something that was intended to be free at one point... though i usually just rode by

Quote Originally Posted by mbx400 View Post
    didn't there used to be something down off rampart in the springs? i know it was all trashed to hell... but i thought it looked like something that was intended to be free at one point... though i usually just rode by
    Yes, it was closed by the USFS several years ago when someone was killed there. It was a mess. Dirty, unsafe, full of yahoo's from Fort Carson and wannabe gangsta's from CS. Made me embarrassed to be a shooter every time I drove by there.

.... i guess when you haven't been there in 7 years alot can change....

Member #
    In junction there's two. Out in the desert past the airport at the base of the book cliffs. There is a designated pistol and rifle range. Both with covered area and the rifle range has shooting benches. The other is at the east end of C rd in the orchard Mesa area. No designated ranges but its open land and there are plenty of little gullies that you can use as backstops.
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson