.223 (5.56x45) bulk ammo

Found today at our Walmart they have new .30 cal ammo cans filled (420 rounds) of new brass, 62 gr ammo on 30 rnd stripper clips for only $159 per can. That's cheaper than what I found anywhere online.

Think I need to go pick up a can or two before the word here gets out!

It's funny to. Seems they can never keep 45 acp in stock. Wish they had ammo cans full of those too!
    My name is Daniel. I pretty much do what I want.

Member #
    I'm going to have to check that out. I am in some serious need to .223.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms… disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants…” — Thomas Jefferson in “Commonplace Book,” 1774-1776

They are the 62 grain green tips too.
    '91 YJ with some stuff
    proud ><> vet 12rd Loon
    PM me for information on quality handmade CCW holsters

Member #
    Everytime I go there for 9mm its hit or miss if they have it.
    2003 Taco DoubleCab TRD, 2001 Taco ExtendedCab TRD, 1996 Taco RegularCab Killed by Deer

I've had your Jeep thing...Now it burns when I pee.

Quote Originally Posted by kemosabee View Post
    Everytime I go there for 9mm its hit or miss if they have it.
    IF they have have it in stock, the 100 pack of Federal brass is the best deal I can find. $19. The math is too hard for me to figure out the price per round
    TJ. "Homegrown" 4-link front and rear, D44's, 4.56 gears, locked, 35's, 9500i winch, front cage with stinger (& gunsight!). / ATC: AAL2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 Degrees. Pilot: We are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here? ATC: Have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?

There is probably a good reason it is cheaper, because it is Wal-Mart ammo. Just depends what you are doing, if you want accuracy you get what you pay for.
    96' 4Runner 3.4L- SAS 36x13.50Iroks, Inchworm 4.7 Crawler, 44044 Front Springs, Chevy 63" Rear Springs, Aussie Locker & Toyota E-Locker, Mile Marker 12k,
    Rockfrogs

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CU Buff 4Runner View Post
    There is probably a good reason it is cheaper, because it is Wal-Mart ammo. Just depends what you are doing, if you want accuracy you get what you pay for.
    Right... The Winchester 230gr 45s I buy from Walmart are completely different than the identically packaged product somewhere else...
    [URL="http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?p=1617763#post1617763"]90 Cherokee LTD[/URL]
    Mike

You do realize that many manufactures have a different product line for Wal-Mart than they do for other retailers. Wal-mart tells them how much they want to sell the item for and tell the manufacturer to figure it out. One of the first instances of this was the Remington 870 Shotgun.

Member #
    I get the Winchester 100 pack for like $23. Its just for plinking and I got some of these for the Apocalypse, http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/zombiemax

Member #
    You do realize that many manufactures have a different product line for Wal-Mart than they do for other retailers. Wal-mart tells them how much they want to sell the item for and tell the manufacturer to figure it out. One of the first instances of this was the Remington 870 Shotgun.
    OT: Can you elaborate on this. I have not heard of this and I would like to know more.
    95 ZJ, Lift, dents, and noise.

Walmart is not the cheapest source for ammo by a long shot. I've heard the rumors that claim Walmart's ammo is made to a different spec. but I don't believe that to be true. Lake City M855 green tip is Lake City M855 green tip. I picked up the exact same ammo as the OP last week for $10 less than the Walmart price. I picked up some of the same several weeks ago for nearly $20 cheaper. $141/ can IIRC.

I wouldn't go so far to say that the $159 is a bad price today though. Pretty sure Gander Mountain had it for $149 a couple months ago. At that point in time it was too much. Today that would be a great price.

Member #
    Images
    This is absolutely accurate. I don't have information as to whether or not it applies in this particular instance/SKU/part number, but it is a common practice at WM. I have experienced it first-hand. WM-specific formulations absolutely did happen for nutritional products when I sold them. Same label, different formulation.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    OT: Can you elaborate on this. I have not heard of this and I would like to know more.
    Walmart decides the price of a vast number of products out there. Some large manufactures of products have a separate product line that they will sell to walmart others just change there product for all retailers. One of the first instance of this with gun manufacturers was the Remington 870 Shotgun. Remington was given a price and they could not physically product a gun at that price, so to keep selling their guns to Walmart they produced the Remington 870 express. Of course at the time the 870 had a good reputation and people bought them up at the new price not really noticing the express part. Now that gun is common in most any large gun retailers collection. The original 870 which was the "wingmaster" is not a high selling item, but built much better. This has got many people questioning the quality of ammo from walmart. Some say it is the same others claim it is different. My dad pulled shotgun shells apart from there before and the variation on the powder weights was significant. I still buy walmart shotgun shells for shooting up clays, but only use reloads for hunting.

Member #
    Images
    Yes, have heard that Walmart does this on several different items (but have no proof, nor have ever seen proof), but I've never heard that in connection with ammo. I've actually heard that it isn't the case with ammo, but have no proof of that either.

Good timing on this thread. I've been pricing out bulk 223, looking for some plinking ammo.

I came across Denver Bullets, selling 1000 rnd reload cases for $300. Has anyone used these? Or, does anyone have any info on the company?

Also found ammoman.com w/1000 rnd new cases for 369... kicker here is the free shipping.

SO... 30 cents per round for reloads or 36 cents for new...

Any other deals out there?

Member #
    Images
    Walmart decides the price of a vast number of products out there. Some large manufactures of products have a separate product line that they will sell to walmart others just change there product for all retailers. One of the first instance of this with gun manufacturers was the Remington 870 Shotgun. Remington was given a price and they could not physically product a gun at that price, so to keep selling their guns to Walmart they produced the Remington 870 express. Of course at the time the 870 had a good reputation and people bought them up at the new price not really noticing the express part. Now that gun is common in most any large gun retailers collection. The original 870 which was the "wingmaster" is not a high selling item, but built much better. This has got many people questioning the quality of ammo from walmart. Some say it is the same others claim it is different. My dad pulled shotgun shells apart from there before and the variation on the powder weights was significant. I still buy walmart shotgun shells for shooting up clays, but only use reloads for hunting.
    BS. Walmart gets the same guns and ammo everybody else does. They just buy more of it to get the best prices. The 870 Express was not specifically made for Wlamart.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Quote Originally Posted by ToyRunner1 View Post
    Yes, have heard that Walmart does this on several different items (but have no proof, nor have ever seen proof), but I've never heard that in connection with ammo. I've actually heard that it isn't the case with ammo, but have no proof of that either.
    Read. http://www.yuccaman.com/jim/walmart.html
    ☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌ 
    / \ Copy and paste him
    Jim - www.yuccaman.com - '04 LJ Unlimited

Member #
    Images
    I'm mixed on Wal Mart. I disagree when their tactics intend to undermine to remove all compatition then heave prices because they're now the only place to get something. But using just one example in your link Yuccaman, Vlasic could have told them to go pound sand because they weren't interested in that share of the market (gallon sized pickle sales). Yet they pursued something they didn't have any interest in?

If money can't be made at a pursuit, then why agree to do it??? I realize WM is big and has significant sales but wouldn't discontinuing the marraige place your product in places you can make money? If I wanted a Vlasic I'd go to the store I could get it, not stand in the main isle of WM waiting for it to show up...

I see this in businesses when they act like they need a contract/customer at all costs then cry after they are asked to suck it up and perform. Or worse yet, trash and lose the business when they then have to pay to place the product in a specific location themselves. May be a legitimate strategy in some circumstances but not when that circumstance includes isolating to one specific location where you can't make money - that's just ****in stupid on so many levels!!! The people of Vlasic ruined Vlasic, not WM.

Guess that became a bit of a rant. I don't like WM but I dislike stupid business practices to sell to them at all costs equally.

Andy

Member #
    Images
    I've seen it before. Yes, they have both helped and hurt businesses, but there is still no proof that their products are any different than the same product at another store.

Member #
    Images
    The 870 is made exactly the same as an 870 express. The only difference is that it's parkerized rather than blued, no engraving at all and a cheaper stock. in other words it's an 870 without the fancier stuff. I have one of both and trust me they are the same gun.
    So this baby seal walks into this club...
    Lunatic #9.
    كافر

Ok, just scored 250 rounds of 45acp Remington UMC FMJ for $97, 250 rounds of Luger 9mm of the same brand for $57 and American Eagle .223 20 rounds for $7 (got 10 boxes)!

They have 25 more 420 round federal cases of the .223 coming anytime now.

If anybody needs any of this, I am planning on coming to the springs next Saturday. But your local Wal-Mart should have this too.