Member #
    Images

Red face incab winch controls

yeah, i started this mod and guess what? i know jack about wiring. i have the box off, wires are basically ready,
    but i need some help to make sure i dont mess something electrical up! anyone have some spare time between
    now and saturday that could help a lesser mind for a few minutes? just pointing out what i need to connect to
    is really all i need. can throw appropriate compensation as motivation, not really looking for freebie
    the winch is a magnum9k (warn tabor) 5 prong winch controller
    http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/tabor_9k.shtml
    and im setting up a power on/off switch, and separate in/out buttons. i will post a pic of the box insides
    if it will help, so maybe you dont have to look at me and my jump-before-i-look-face-of-shame
    tim ---- 06 rubicon unlimited, Rokmen treatment, under and around

history is a race between education and catastrophe

Member #
    Images
    Did you buy a kit or build it yourself?
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    there are kits?
    yes, self built. two momentary switches and a safety power switch

Member #
    Images
    I just popped the switch out of the hand held controller and glued it to the dash, clean and simple

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ttim View Post
    there are kits?
    yes, self built. two momentary switches and a safety power switch

Ck out 12voltguy.com
    Co Founder
    Colorado Canyon Crawlers
    www.coloradocanyoncrawlers.com
    www.dipyourcar.com

Wally, don't you have a cutoff switch for that winch?

X2 on 12voltguy.com

Last edited by BusaDave9; March 27th, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
    '79 CJ5, 304 V8, T18, Dana 20 with 3 to 1 TeraLow, 36" SuperSwamper SX, 4.88 gears
    OX Locker Rear, Detroit Locker Front, MileMarker Hydraulic Winch

First wire the winch up as per the instructions.
    The wired remote connects with 3 wires but usually uses a 4 conductor connector. One wire is common. Route that wire into the cab to a cutoff switch and then on to the center terminal of the IN/OUT switch. Next wire the other 2 terminals of the IN/OUT switch back to the last 2 terminals of the factory wired remote.

I'll find or make a drawing when I have more time.

Member #
    Images
    I have one from Roadless Gear. I also have the wireless one they offer. I might have the instructions at home, if I do I'll scan them and post it up.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaDave9 View Post
    Wally, don't you have a cutoff switch for that winch?

X2 on 12voltguy.com

x3 on 12v guy!!!!
    rig- 04 TJ -it has round tires and tow rig- 04 chevy d-max
    game on western slope! game on.........

Member #
    Images
    man what a looong day.
    i always think ive left all the info needed, and sure enough i didnt.
    i have the winch already mounted, and running. i just wanted to adapt it to run in cab.
    i didnt think some one might make a kit for this, so i just bought the switches at radio shack and installed them in dash.
    i also didnt think about using the winch controller in dash, partially because i wanted a power switch so it wasnt always on,
    and partially because i wanted to keep the controller intact in case i ever did need to use it while outside the vehicle.
    my controller cable has 5 prongs on the inside, and again without taking the controller apart i wasnt sure how to
    check which wire went where. i could still call the 12v guy but i doubt i would have it before i leave on friday evening.
    for now i will just put the lid back on and use the winch as normal, and when i get back from moab i will go further.
    *added*
    i see 12vguy sells wiring kits, and while they are labeled, what i dont see is where on the winch control box do you
    attach each wire. thats really all im after. i have all the wiring and connecters, just dont know where the go inside the
    winch box.
    im dog tired after almost 14 hours working today, i hope im not rambling and need to edit this in the morning

Added an arm light and in/out switch for respooling. Haven't used the control cable in years...

The benefits from MILSPEC requirements are priceless!

I installed in-cab controls for my winch and it's been one of the best mods to date. Cost me about $12 and took about an hour total. Same concept with a master power switch and a momentary ON-off-ON switch. I'd recommend this switch configuration over two push button momentarys for the simple fact you can never, no matter how hard you try, have both IN and OUT activated at the same time.

Either way, the wiring is quite simple. I ran 10 gauge 3 wire from the solenoid box to the switch panel. You're only concerned with three connections within the box. 12v POWER (coming from the battery), and the IN and OUT contacts. The POWER becomes the common wire on the switch (center prong on my particular switch) and the top and bottom are IN and OUT. I can draw you a diagram if you think it would help, and I'll even offer to come over and set it up with you.

Good luck!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ttim View Post
    i have all the wiring and connecters, just dont know where the go inside the
    winch box.
    Look at the backside of the plug that the remote plugs into. One wire is in, one for out, and one for power. Attach your in-cab wires to these three in their respective places.

I hooked these wires up in parallel with the hand held controller so I can run the winch from the driver seat or the remote. I installed a power switch override on the cab controller to prevent accedental use. I wired the winch on my RZR the same way. But I have a Ramsey and the controller is 3 wire. I am a controls wiring contractor so if you can post a diagram of your winch maybe I could help.
    '93 YJ HP44, Ford 9", TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 NP231, SOA, 37" MTR