Member #
    Images

Homeless Hotspots?

Boulder is not as bad as people think, Austin is going to turn the Homeless into Hotspots.

Discuss...

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2012/03...est-idea-ever/

Homeless Hotspots: Worst, or best idea ever?

Digitalphiles have convened on Austin for the SXSW Interactive Conference, a celebration of all things digital and connected.
    I love technology, and I love the Internet, but I don’t worship at the alter of Apple nor the concept of ubiquitous, always-on connectivity. Anyway, personally I’m a little troubled by the concept one marketing company is bringing to Austin in conjunction with the conference. It’s called Homeless Hotspots.
    The company Bartle Bogle Hegarty (a Dickensian name if there ever were one) announced the plan in a recent blog post:
    This year in Austin, as you wander between locations murmuring to your coworker about how your connection sucks and you can’t download/stream/tweet/instagram/check-in, you’ll notice strategically positioned individuals wearing “Homeless Hotspot” t-shirts. These are homeless individuals in the Case Management program at Front Steps Shelter. They’re carrying MiFi devices.
    Introduce yourself, then log on to their 4G network via your phone or tablet for a quick high-quality connection. You pay what you want (ideally via the PayPal link on the site so we can track finances), and whatever you give goes directly to the person that just sold you access. We’re believers that providing a digital service will earn these individuals more money than a print commodity
    That’s right, homeless people are walking around as digital hotspots. They’re easy to find, wearing a T-shirt that says, “I am a digital hotspot.” Give them a few bucks and you can hop on the information superhighway to check your e-mail, read a blog or watch a video.
    I believe the campaign to be well meant, it’s being run as a nonprofit operation and the homeless people, such asClarence and Dusty, are earning a few bucks.
    Nevertheless, it rubs me the wrong way. Jon Mitchell, at ReadWriteWeb, articulates some of the reasons. It has to do with digital divides, haves and have nots, and the idea that a fellow human being is of no more use to you than as an Internet jack.
    Your thoughts?

If you don't like my words, don't listen. If you don't like my appearance, don't look. If you don't like my actions, turn your head.

Member #
    Sounds about right.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county. :hail:

Member #
    Images
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Giving anyone a job that otherwise doens't have one is good.
    '85 RamCharger-
    4.56's, 37's, Spooled 14 bolt, 8 lug convert, mean 360
    '7X dodge something... got the engine and axles
    need the car...

Member #
    Images
    If they actually make money at it, the cell companies will address it in the next TOS they force out.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    [QUOTE=Gags;2216435]I say some stupid sh!t here.[/QUOTE]

Member #
    Images
    So how do these guys look on the street with their shirts on? If they look like the pics GREAT. If they look like the streotypical homeless person with scraggly hair, beard, holey stocking cap, ripped clothes on, smell like they haven't bathed in a week etc how many people do you think will approach them to get on a hot spot? I would kind of assume or hope that the company doing this would have a dress standard to look at least a little presentable.
    Restored 1974 CJ5 with some stuff. Need help to add some more stuff. Any takers?

Same as selling newspapers on the corner. I think it's a great idea worth at least trying.

Member #
    Images
    They're filthy capitalists. They have the resource and they want other people to pay for it. Occupy the homeless!