Member #
    Images

5.9 vs 6.7 cummins MPG comparison

Just traded my '06 5.9 for a '10 6.7. I intend to do some mileage comparisons as time goes by, and different situations arise to give real-world data to others. Truck data:

Old truck - 2006 5.9L Cummins, w/ fully built automatic trans, AFE Mega Cannon II intake, AFE Blade Runner, MBRP 5" catless, 2" leveling kit, 18" wheels, 35" Pro Comp Extreme AT's @ max PSI, BullyDog Triple Dog programmer, tonneau cover, speedo corrected for tire size. She had ~65,000 miles when traded in.

New truck - 2010 6.7L Cummins, bone-stock with automatic trans. Planned mods include leveling kit, 35's, 18" wheels, maybe an intake. Depending on ease of install, I may consider an EGR delete kit, and tuner. 10,850 miles at time of delivery.

Aside from the tranny work, the new one will be built very similarly to my old one. Hence the validity of the data for anyone else interested. I never logged mileage, but I hand-calculated it over 90% of the time I filled up, and will continue with the new truck.

First significant test is my commute to work. 34 miles from Arvada to Longmont, mostly highway speeds, a few stop lights, minimal commuter traffic, generally takes 45-55 minutes depending on drive-through line for breakfast.

Old truck - Generally would see average 14 mpg, but some other driving mixed in. Would fill up once a week.

New truck - based on first drive in, and going off mileage computer, I got 17mpg. My gut tells me that the new computer is more precise than the old one, but it's accuracy is yet to be determined.*

This friday I'll be heading to KOH pulling the exact same trailer I pulled last year, with the exact same load, following the exact same route. Old truck made about 9.5 mpg IIRC. Stay tuned!

*Accuracy is how close you get to your actual target. Precision is the ability to hit the same spot consistantly. If the new computer is precise, but not accurate, I can use a simple correction factor to adjust for actual mileage. If it is accurate, but not precise, the data is essentially useless.
    Jon, AKA The Man With The Plan, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Illegitimi non Carborundum = "Don't let the bastards get you down" Micris Fidelis="Faithful to small things" And it's an anagram...I'll let you figure it out

Member #
    Images
    how about some pics of this new rig!!!!!!
    rig- 04 TJ -it has round tires and tow rig- 04 chevy d-max
    game on western slope! game on.........

Member #
    Images
    Yeah Jon, you know the rules!

Congrats on the truck purchase. I'll be waiting for your results. I feel you will do better in stock form.
    03 Rubicon TJ in surgery
    Clowns Inc., member #1
    https://www.facebook.com/ClownsInc?cropsuccess#

Member #
    Come on man!
    You should come to Hokes tonight!
    05 Ram CTD
    50 CJ-3A
    93 Yota

Member #
    I'd be curious to see the outcome of this.

I went from 19-23mpg hwy in my 2nd gen 5.9L to 13-16 in my 3rd gen 5.9L, both fairly similarly built (though the 3rd gen was a MegaCab so a bit more extra weight). I'm curious to know how much better the 6.7L does.

Member #
    Images
    The first mod will be getting rid of the dee-zee nerfs. Need some Power Steps like my old truck. Then I'll have the bug shield wrapped in flat black. I was thinking of vinyl wrapping the fender flare and the two-tone as well.

Last edited by The Man With The Plan; February 1st, 2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typo

Member #
    Images
    My 05 gets (was) 19-20 daily commute and 21-22 hwy. Just added some A/T tires and mileage dropped to 18hwy.
    Sunday I was at trailworthyfab in KS getting my wheels and was talking to the owner just bought a 2011 dodge diesel and is getting a pathetic 11pmg
    Bryan
    USAF Retired 1988-2009

Member #
    Images

I have a buddy with a 6.7 mega cab and he is lucky to get 16mpg on the highway. Dpf delete seems to be the only way to get good mileage out of the 6.7 cummins or the 6.4 powerstroke.
    Rubicon unlimited, 5"tera lcg pro, 1" body, 37" KM2, Pro Rock 60, winch, sliders, warn bumpers.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nridler View Post
    I have a buddy with a 6.7 mega cab and he is lucky to get 16mpg on the highway. Dpf delete seems to be the only way to get good mileage out of the 6.7 cummins or the 6.4 powerstroke.
    Couldn't agree more with that statement.

Member #
    Good Looking Truck. I really like the TRX package. I kinda wished Dodge did a Laramie with the TRX exterior. So, when I bought my 2010 Laramie 2500 Crewcab, I bought a paintable grille and body colored door handles. I still have to get black mirrors and blast/paint the bumpers to make it a "Sport" since Dodge decided not to offer it on the 2500. Like you, I will also be ditching my steps.

As for stock mileage, it's definitely worse than any of my 5.9's. I probably average 13-14 per tank with quite a bit of in-town driving. Surprisingly, I can get 19-21 on the highway unloded. (hand-calculated, no mountains). The truck has about 18K miles now.

I toyed with the idea of selling it and going back to a 3rd gen, but since I've decided to keep it, I'm starting mods. I just finished window tint and picked it up today from getting the spray-in bedliner. I love the truck, but I want a softer ride, so when I do the leveling kit I'm spending the $$ to go with springs and upgrade all 4 corners.

The wife wanted to do something big for my 40th b-day this month, so she let me pick my own poison. -- This is what's on dock to start ordering next week:

Flo~Pro 2010-2011 Dodge 6.7 Stainless Steel Turbo Back 5" DPF Delete with Muffler + 6" Black Tip
    EGR delete
    S&B 2010-2012 Cold Air Intake Kit with cleanable filter
    H&S Mini Maxx with pyro
    H&S Overdrive Transmission Tuning
    H&S 2003-2011 Dodge Mini Maxx Overhead Mount
    ?? somebody's intake horn
    ARP 425 Head Studs
    Alligator Performance Race Valve For 07.5+ 6.7 Cummins (ADP Fuel Rail Plug)
    Shibby Engineering MinMaxx Plug Set
    Carli Starter Kit
    Carli Steering Stabilizer
    Carli adjustable track bar
    BD Steering Box Stabilizer
    Craven Speed Stubby Antenna
    Amp Research Steps with light kit
    Black Crystal Headlights
    LED Tail Lights and 3rd brake light kit
    Retro Solutions 55W Digital 5000K HID Headlights
    Retro Solutions 55W Digital 5000K HID Foglights

20x9 Fuel Krank Wheels - Black
    35" Tires.... probably Nitto Trail Grappler MT's

With that bill, I sure hope it holds me over for a while.

Gongrats on the new rig! IMO, finally dodge got the cab size right

Member #
    Images
    Jon, sweet truck. You will enjoy that.

Rex, who is doing the mods on your truck? Let me know if you want some help...head studs ect....

I said- "Hey Jon- how long is that truck going to stay stock"
    Jon answered- " I think I am going to leave this one alone"

LOL- Jon you couldnt leave it stock if you had to! its not in your genes

Enjoy your trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    Flo~Pro 2010-2011 Dodge 6.7 Stainless Steel Turbo Back 5" DPF Delete with Muffler + 6" Black Tip
    EGR delete
    S&B 2010-2012 Cold Air Intake Kit with cleanable filter
    H&S Mini Maxx with pyro
    H&S Overdrive Transmission Tuning
    H&S 2003-2011 Dodge Mini Maxx Overhead Mount
    ?? somebody's intake horn
    ARP 425 Head Studs
    Alligator Performance Race Valve For 07.5+ 6.7 Cummins (ADP Fuel Rail Plug)
    Shibby Engineering MinMaxx Plug Set
    Carli Starter Kit
    Carli Steering Stabilizer
    Carli adjustable track bar
    BD Steering Box Stabilizer
    Craven Speed Stubby Antenna
    Amp Research Steps with light kit
    Black Crystal Headlights
    LED Tail Lights and 3rd brake light kit
    Retro Solutions 55W Digital 5000K HID Headlights
    Retro Solutions 55W Digital 5000K HID Foglights

20x9 Fuel Krank Wheels - Black
    35" Tires.... probably Nitto Trail Grappler MT's
    Jeebus Rex...

My vote for intake horn would be the Glacier Diesel horn. Rich is a great guy with a great product.

Pics once your done???

To the OP:

DPF/EGR Delete must be deleted for MPG on the 6.7

My vote is for H&S Tuners. If you want digital gauges the MiniMaxx or BlackMaxx are the way to go. If you like the look of analog gauges, then you can get the XRT Pro and save some bucks.

I have worked with James at Rollin Smoke Diesel (www.rollingsmokediesel.com) and he has great prices and packages.

Just as a reference point for fuel mileage, running empty from Lafayette to Amarillo at 80MPH I got about 26 with 3.73s and a the 6-speed manual. Made it to Amarillo with over a half tank left. I have:

Cold Air Intake - S&B
    EGR Delete
    DPF/NOX/Cat Delete - 4" straight back from the turbo (added an FTE Resonator right after the downpipe recently)
    Grid Heater Delete
    Black Ops Diesel Intake Horn
    GDP Arctic Heat Boost tube (moves the Grid heater to the boost tube - way less restrictive)
    Isspro EV2 gauges for Boost, Pyro, Rail Pressure, and Fuel pressure to CP3
    Valair Organic Dual Disk Clutch to put the power on the ground.

Basically I opened up the air into the turbo, out of the intercooler, into the motor and out of the motor. That, combined with the H&S tuning (I have the original XRT - running the +120 tune for highway runs and towing - +175 for screwing around) and I get 18 in town if I rod the shit out of it (my default driving style), and then like I said, running to OK for my MIL's funeral at 80, I got 26+.
    Cages: '08 Dodge 6.7CTD, '08 Nissan Xterra Offroad
    Bikes: '05 GSXR 1000, '98 WR400
    Sold: '04 R6, '05 GSXR 600, '96 XJ, '98 XJ, '91 Chevy, '74 GMC

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man With The Plan View Post
    I was thinking of vinyl wrapping the fender flare and the two-tone as well.
    Let me know how much this runs you. I've got two-tone as well, and considered a color change just for the heck of it, maybe with a matte black. Plus, any protection on those lower panels from rocks, etc, is a plus.
    I don't wheel, nor do I pretend to.

Member #
    Images
    I wouldn't think it would be much more than a clear-bra application. The fenders would require significant work to get the wrinkles out, but I've seen it done. Definitely cheaper than a paint job, and if you don't like it, peal it off.

Member #
    Images
    Wish they had made the back seats bigger years ago. The small back seat is the only complaint about my truck.
    1986 CJ7 60/14, 6.0, th350, Atlas
    2006 6spd Cummins 2500
    -ASE Certified Master Technician-

Member #
    Images
    Back from the Hammers! 2000 more miles on her now. I still need to confirm that the odometer is correct, but if it is, the new truck pulled 10.7 mpg vs. 9.5 for the old one. And, we ended up carrying a little more load, in addition to having tons of trailer issues on the way out there whiched caused more inefficiency.

How much did your load weigh and what was your typical speed?

Member #
    Images
    We pulled 75-80 where possible. Load was two relatively heavy buggies on a heavy trailer with the bed full of gear. I'd guess 12k with the trailer.

Sent from my HAL 9000 using Tapatalk