Member #
    Images

285/70/17 Load Range E

Im needing new tires on the truck and want to run 285/70/17's. Problem is, there isn't a large variety of tires in the size I want with a streetable tread pattern. I know there is Cooper Zeon's, hankook's. Curious as to what you all have run, used, know about, heard about, longevity of the tires etc. If michellin made the at'2's in the size load range E i'd jump all over them, but they only make them in load range D. So let me know what yall have used, pro's/con's etc....
    Its was a TJ
    Clown 2

Member #
    Nitto and Toyo's both come in that size. I loved my Toyo open country A/T's more than any tire i have ever run. They were like studded snow tires in the snow and ice and if i was not trying to do burnouts every other time i took off from a stop light would have lasted a good long wile as well. I believe BFG A/T's come in that size and load rating as well. Good luck

Will
    05 Ram CTD
    50 CJ-3A
    93 Yota

Member #
    I am running the hankooks on my dodge. they have a 3800lb load capacity but i also tow a very heavy 5th wheel toy hauler, so i need the tire load rating to deal with the pin weight. great tires and they work very well in the snow.
    1994 Toyota FZJ80 - elocked, 3in OME lift, 315/75-16 KM2s, Warn 8274.

Member #
    Images
    Whats the the name of the hankooks that you have? What size? How are they holding up mileage wise.?

Member #
    They are the Dynapro ATM RF10.
    I have abut 4000 miles on them and they look brand new.

they are the LT 285/75 - 17
    Last edited by cmd11; November 2nd, 2011 at 06:47 AM.

They changed the tread design since I owned a set, but I was happy with these BFg rugged trails:

For some reason they list a couple different tread designs (neither are what I had), but one was not nearly as good. I believe the above image is the good ones(or at least replaces the good ones). They were great in the snow and ice and wore great too. I had swapped them on for one winter so I could finish wearing out my summer tires the next summer, but I got at least 40k out of them.

J.D.
    God Forgives, Rock's Don't www.ucora.org
    1973 Bronco, 351 SEFI, Locked, discs, 35's ZF-5spd and Atlas 4spd. 235:1 Crawl Ratio

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rch View Post
    If michellin made the at'2's in the size load range E i'd jump all over them, but they only make them in load range D.
    Must be the size you're looking for because my AT2's (285/75-16) are load range E.

Member #
    Images
    Just got the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck the other day. Seem to be good so far, nice grip on the snowy roads these last few days, decent load range at 3500 too. They do have some hum to them on pavement, but not as bad as a MT tire. Also they were only $200/tire compared to BFGs that can run $280/tire.
    'There are NO Rules above 10,000 Feet'

Member #
    I just bought the Hankook, Dynapro ATM. What a pain in the A$$ they were to get balanced. Took them back 4 times before they had to replace 2 of them.

But, now that I have them they ride great so far. They handled very well in the snow this morning.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I just bought the Hankook, Dynapro ATM. What a pain in the A$$ they were to get balanced. Took them back 4 times before they had to replace 2 of them.

But, now that I have them they ride great so far. They handled very well in the snow this morning.
    funny - i had this same problem with one tire. discount tire ended up replacing it because they couldn't get it to balance.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    Must be the size you're looking for because my AT2's (285/75-16) are load range E.
    I need them to fit a 17" wheel.

I'd be interested to know if they do though. From the research i've done the 285/70/17 AT/2's only come in load range D. If you have any links the the michellin AT2's being load range E, I'd be very interested in knowing where to get them from.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cmd11 View Post
    funny - i had this same problem with one tire. discount tire ended up replacing it because they couldn't get it to balance.
    Yup...that's where I bought mine as well.

Member #
    Images
    Have any of you ran a set of these tires all the way to the wear bars? If so how many miles did you get out of them.?

Nope, mine were dry rotting when I replaced them. They were getting bald (maybe 1/8" tread), but never to wear bars.

Member #
    Images
    Yours are past the wear bars Russ...LOL.

I see Rex has another one of his trucks for sale...do what he does, instead of replacing tires, he just gets another truck...LOL.
    03 Rubicon TJ in surgery
    Clowns Inc., member #1
    https://www.facebook.com/ClownsInc?cropsuccess#

Member #
    Images
    haha, the fronts arent that bad Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by rch View Post
    I need them to fit a 17" wheel.

I'd be interested to know if they do though. From the research i've done the 285/70/17 AT/2's only come in load range D. If you have any links the the michellin AT2's being load range E, I'd be very interested in knowing where to get them from.
    At this point I have to ask if you really *NEED* the load range E tire. Most load range D tires in that size have a similar weight rating to the load range E, just at a lower operating pressure.

For what it's worth, I just replaced a set of BFG at/ko 305-65-17's (Load range E @ 65 PSI) with the BFG at/ko 285-70-17 (Load range E @ 70 PSI). The BFG's don't really have wear bars, but if they did my rears would have been using them as paddles to move across my gravel driveway.

I replaced the 305's at about 45k miles. It probably should have been earlier. Based on simple math (miles on the truck/sets of tires) I'm getting about 43k out of each set. The first set was the BFG rugged trail's that came stock. I replaced them at about 40k when I ran over something and simply destroyed one sidewall and put a hole in another. Those would have gone another 40k based on wear pattern. Then two sets of the 305's. I went 285 this time because the 305's would rub just a bit when flexed in my driveway/yard. (Moving firewood and other household chores.) After last weekends debacle (moving firewood in the mud) I've decided the next time I need tires I'm going to either sell the truck or lift it 2" in the front and just run 315's.

The 305 and 285 are listed to have the same RPM at 45MPH. The 305 is just a bit wider.

Sorry for the little diatribe there. Hope that offers some useful perspective.

-Matt
    If you don't vote, you can't complain.

It seems quite often the reviews that are low for any given tire are directly related to running the incorrect load rating.

We all know the importance of tires and will strive to get the best we can get for the money.

From my research, there are two more plies on an e-rated tire, so they have stiffer side walls to carry the loads better. You may find a D rated tire adequate to handle the load, but based on the reviews, causes the tire to wear faster, eating up any savings.

J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by 74BuckinBronc View Post
    It seems quite often the reviews that are low for any given tire are directly related to running the incorrect load rating.

We all know the importance of tires and will strive to get the best we can get for the money.

From my research, there are two more plies on an e-rated tire, so they have stiffer side walls to carry the loads better. You may find a D rated tire adequate to handle the load, but based on the reviews, causes the tire to wear faster, eating up any savings.

J.D.
    While I do not disagree, I think improper inflation is more an issue than improper load rating when it comes to premature wear. Lots of people simply inflate to max PSI and leave it there. While fine on a car, with a truck that will eat the center tread and lead to terrible road manners at empty or light weights.

And if you aren't running heavy a lot, a properly inflated 3000 pound load range D is supposed to wear about the same as a properly inflated 3000 pound load range E.

The big difference in that case is the way the tire handles at "heavy" loads. 3000/tire is 6000/axle. Most trucks aren't rated to hold that. (As I recall, the single tire AAM rear end in the dodge/GM is rated at 7k from AAM, but de-rated by dodge and GM to better fit the load rating the of the 2500 and 3500 trucks.) The additional PSI of the load range E (given from reinforced construction) is what gives it the advantage in heavy load situations. The tire will squat less which will provide overall better road manners and better wear characteristics. In heavy situations the load range D will usually wear faster due to increased sidewall flex.

So, as long as you're honest with yourself about your expected use of the tires, operating within the weight ratings, and keeping an eye on your tire pressure you should be in good shape with either load range unless you're "heavy" all the time.

Member #
    Images
    I chatted with Russ this morning, I think he is going with the AT2 in the load range D. For him, the tires will work.

I won't run a D on my truck again for the exact reasoning JD gave, I just tow too much weight. I tried my load range D tires out with my camper only and it was flat out scary. That next day after I dropped my kid off at daycare, I got new tires. Totally different experience towing, and both sets of tires had the same weight rating.

Right now I have over 14k miles on my load range E Michelin tires, barely look worn. Pretty impressive since I had a slide in camper and trailer tongue weight over the rear axle for several long distance trips this summer.

Member #
    Images
    http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...yp=Truck%2FSUV
    pretty positive this is what i have and are load range E, just call discount and ask them

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    I see Rex has another one of his trucks for sale...do what he does, instead of replacing tires, he just gets another truck...LOL.

....so Russ picked up some 3rd gen wheels or H2s?

Member #
    Images
    Russ got some 3rd gen wheels Rex.

Tell me I'm wrong...