2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L - I need someone to replace heater core

Anyone here have a mechanic who will replace my heater core for a decent amount?

2000 Jeep Cherokee sport - just read online iyou have to take the whole dash apart including the steering wheel? Thats ridiculous...

it blows mediocre heat now, actually luke warm. It really doesn't work and its either the Jeep goes or I get this damn thing fixed.

Anybody anybody

Member #
    Images
    Have you tried back flushing it?

Some have used CLP to try and clean them out as a last resort.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Creepycrawler does them he loves to them at the shop he works at.
    Wandering in the wilderness.

I disconnected the top hose at the heater core and removed the bottom hose off the neck of the water pump - put a hose on it an applied pressure thru both ends (top heater core and back thru from the hose that connects to the water pump neck. It shot out clear but these hoses have a lot of rust on the walls.

I think over time it just wore out the heater core fins!?

Not sure, but it is not blowing hot

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepSahara View Post
    I think over time it just wore out the heater core fins!?
    Sorry for picking on you, but that statement is almost comical and had to be quoted.

How is it you keep buying vehicles that you have no clue how to repair?

Member #
    What's the engine temp running at? Might not be the core at all. May be that the engine is running too cool due to a bad thermostat or some other problem. Run the engine and with the heater turned on - the temp, not the fan, see how hot the heater hoses get.
    Jim
    03 TJ auto, 4" Mixed lift, 33 BFG KM2's, D44 locked/D30, Warn x8000i and some other junk

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Creepycrawler does them he loves to them at the shop he works at.
    tis true.

I had mine done by JM Auto in the Springs. Did a good job and lower cost that other estimates I got...
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
    -Ernest Hemmingway

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxski View Post
    I had mine done by JM Auto in the Springs. Did a good job and lower cost that other estimates I got...
    so it is common... how much?

So here is the deal!

I know how to fix stuff but I am in my busiest months of the year. I bought this Jeep solely to drive and get quotes for work. It has been great but when it got cold last week It was freaking cold inside too. I do not have time for the repairs right now, seriously I'm working 16hour days and this Jeep is great for piling on the miles.

I replaced the thermostat, flushed the cooling system and replaced a hose from the heater core. The engine sits at about 195-210 sometimes goes above it to 220ish. I smell what seems to be antifreeze but the fluid color is green, no brown, no antifreeze in the oil. It isn't a head gasket issue. Maybe a water pump isn't doing its job?

I'm confused with it but the heater blows luke warm temps, they almost seem cool. but when I turn the dial to cold - it gets cold. so its trying to change. I have not looked on the floor of the cherokee to see if it is leaking (the carpet has a 1" thick insulation pad so its hard to feel under it). The windows don't immediately fog up

I'm so confused - i just want heat on this jeep. I love it for the purpose of why I bought it. I drove 650 miles last week for work, I'm ready to pile on the miles for this fall/winter.

May Just sell it and use my 2010 tundra to put on the miles with - so nice driving that compared to the jeep, but the mileage sucks bad.

Member #
    Images
    have you verified that the blend door is moving to full open and closed?

Not knowing the specifics of a 2000 XJ, is the temp control electronic? or a slider with a cable? like the older ones?

If electronic, where it sends a signal to an actuator motor on the heat blend door, I would be looking there before ripping out the core.

If cable type, I would verify the cable is secure at both ends, and again, verify the blend door has full range of movement.
    Last edited by shadetreezj; October 12th, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
    My Iphone is smarter than your honor student.....

I SUCK AT EGGS

Quote Originally Posted by shadetreezj View Post
    have you verified that the blend door is moving to full open and closed?

Not knowing the specifics of a 2000 XJ, is the temp control electronic? or a slider with a cable? like the older ones?

If electronic, where it sends a signal to an actuator motor on the heat blend door, I would be looking there before ripping out the core.

If cable type, I would verify the cable is secure at both ends, and again, verify the blend door has full range of movement.

I'm at home working for the next few hours, I'll take the glove box out to see. The heater lines, all hoses are hot. not cool but freaking HOT so its going thru the system.

Jeep has 100k on it so its possible something just is loose. thanks shadeztree

Member #
    Images
    If both hoses are hot then the core is also hot. If it was clogged one of them wouldn't be hot.

Sounds like an airflow past the coil issue.

Member #
    Images
    I have a 99 that had the same issue that I bought used. The people that owned it before me must have been heavy smokers and the heater core fins were gummed up with film and crap so I wasn't getting air flow thru it. Cleaned it off and solved the problem.

It is confusing

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    If both hoses are hot then the core is also hot. If it was clogged one of them wouldn't be hot.

Sounds like an airflow past the coil issue.

I honestly think it has to be something with A the lever or B the core. I don't get it. when I test drove the Jeep it seemed to pump warm but then that cold spell it was luke warm. actually cool

Great jeep just want a hot heater, i love heat

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSahara View Post
    so it is common... how much?

If I recall correctly, it was a bit less than $700...

Note - I didn't do this until checking and eliminating all of the possible causes listed above - sometimes things just need replacing... In my case the tubes were all corroded.

I don't know if the Cherokee has the same problem as the TJ and Grand Cherokee but some of these have a problem with what I assume is the blend door breaking inside the duct work. One of the guys at work had to go in through the glove box door, cut a hole in the duct, install a kit that he got on line. the kit wasn't very expensive but it fixed his problem with luke warm air. I'm sorry I don't really know much more than that about it but I've read about other people having the same problem with the door.

Just did a quick search on the net, just Google Jeep heater door repair kit, several companies sell the kit.
    Last edited by 4-rocks; October 15th, 2011 at 08:24 AM.