polaris vs Can am

Looking at pullin the trigger on a utv, jeeps are fun but most of my buddis got out of wheelin and are into dirt bikes and quads so i may end up selling my jeep. the 2 UTVs that i was looking at are the Polaris rzr S and the Can Am Commander X. i really like both of them and have never really had much expierience with either so whats everyones take on them? im leaning towards the Can Am just becuase all the features and cool stuff it has and its cheaper than the rzr. all the reading i can find is either pro rzr or pro can am but im looking for some insite on which is the better buy...... thoughts?
    - Professional web wheeler

What do you plan to use it for? Would you camp out of it? Is it just strictly for sport? I was in the same boat and ended up with a tricked out rhino, for what I use it for it's great. But it does lack power.

I test drove the Commander and my only complaint was that the exhaust was too loud. Great power, but I also read that the traction control system leaves a lot to be desired when actually slowly crawling.

I didn't like the lack of storage in a RZR S since I would be camping/fishing/etc. out of mine.

FWIW, I was on the wait list for a commander until I found my rhino.
    Christian

If it don't kill yah.....it'll make for a great story later :)

At the UTV Rally in Moab, the Can Ams were breaking steering boxes every time they tried to climb a ledge. We had to tie one down to the back of a RZR-4 to get it off Moab Rim. It was at least the second one that broke the same way during the Rally.

While there are lots of loyal Can Am owners, there are equally as many that are disappointed with them. Resale seems to be an issue from what I heard from several owners. There were two new ones that vendors bought to develop products for, that were for sale and they had zero interest at the Rally.

However, I am somewhat prejudiced since I own several RZR's including a new XP which runs circles around a Commander.

One point I would make, is a stock RZR XP won first at KOH, and a stock RZR-S finished second. There were zero Can Ams even entered.

Quote Originally Posted by CGuava View Post
    I test drove the Commander and my only complaint was that the exhaust was too loud. .

Damn Your getting old Bro

Member #
    We will eventually go with a pair of Razors. The can ams have a drive by wire system that is not very good for crawling.
    1994 Toyota FZJ80 - elocked, 3in OME lift, 315/75-16 KM2s, Warn 8274.

Quote Originally Posted by trailbuilt View Post
    Damn Your getting old Bro
    Maybe, but I bet you're still 10 years older than me

Seriously, it's one thing to have a loud exhaust in a car where you can roll up the windows, but when you're running all day listening to it right behind you, it gets old. I've got enough of that with my crawler. lol.

We towed my rig up to the sand this weekend in walden to tool around and met a guy with a brand new CanAm. I will take a Polaris any day of the week after seeing one up close and sitting in one. Talk about big an awkwardly bulky. I was fallowing him in my jeep (leafs front/rear on 42" mtrs) and I was shocked how bad it bounced going through the woops!

My mind is made. Polaris!

Riddle me this now-

Rhino or rzr? I have become very good friends with a few dudes that race UTVs and they are both sellin their old UTVs and they are both in my price range! Both built to the hilt and can ngang in the woops at 45-50 mph. Both have stockish motors so my main question in what motor is better suited to build and make really haul in the dezert?

Crap crap

Quote Originally Posted by CGuava View Post
    Maybe, but I bet you're still 10 years older than me
    ouch.. Ill take that bet!

Quote Originally Posted by GotMOAB? View Post
    Riddle me this now-

Rhino or rzr? I have become very good friends with a few dudes that race UTVs and they are both sellin their old UTVs and they are both in my price range! Both built to the hilt and can ngang in the woops at 45-50 mph. Both have stockish motors so my main question in what motor is better suited to build and make really haul in the dezert?

Crap crap
    Polaris hands down.

I am in St Anthony's Dunes in Idaho and we had two Commanders with us. Neither of them could even come close to keeping up with a stock RZR in the dunes, and one broke his steering box coming off a small dune. That is the third one I have seen break a steering box, and this guy had already upgraded his to an aftermarket one, and it still broke.

Quote Originally Posted by zillacon View Post
    Polaris hands down.

Any specifics as to why? Doing research rhinos seem to have more options but I'm still green behind the ears with the SXS world. I'm really thinking of trying to maybe race the utv class next years koh. Been talking to a close friend out in California about it and it looks like a fun series and something not so $$ compared to the U4 cars.

Rhino's have a top speed of 40 something. RZR-XP is 70 plus.

We raced KOH this year in a Teryx, and next year we will be in a RZR.

A stock XP with Walker Evans shocks won, a RZR-S came in second, a Rhino with an engine swap came in third, and RZR-S' finished fourth and fifth.

I don't think you can go fast enough in a stock Rhino to be competitive, but you can in a RZR.

while the can am may be a 1000, the extra weight its carrying really kills any benefit of the extra motor.

the xp is nice if you have the cash...if not look into a use 09/10 s.
    2006 Rubi plus stuff (and some empty boxes)

Wow, that sucks RedCJ7, I'm VERY glad I didn't go with the CanAm, lots of money to spend on a POS. The XP is looking like a great option. I'd like a little more utility out of my SxS though. All sport is fun, but there is no cargo space in those. I'll stick with my rhino for now, maybe going to the desert next year will change my opinion.

Trail, 1985.

Do the RZR have 4low? I borrowed a Rhino for KOH this year ( just to play in ) and I was pretty happy with it overall. Top speed was ok, I was just wishing for alittle more power up long loose climbs. If I was racing I would Get a Rzr Xp.... no question.

Guava you owe me lunch.

Yes, all RZR models have low range in both 2wd and 4x4
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR=black]303.400.0205[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][url=www.americanrockrods.us]American Rock Rods[/url][/SIZE]
    [FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"][COLOR=darkblue]American Hardcore[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

you can replace the module in the rhino for more top speed. In New Mexico they can be plated and we see them on the highway frequently going 60+ MPH. If you need any utulity i would stick with the rhino, as well the aftermarket is huge for them.

After riding a polaris 4 wheeler i will never even consider one. Worse ride i have ever had. I ten year old honda rides nicer.

You should do all you can to drive them all before spending the money. Try finding a rental place.
    Last edited by pdrhound; July 18th, 2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: bad typing
    SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
    SWITZERLAND 'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE TO.
    SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!

Quote Originally Posted by pdrhound View Post
    you can replace the module in the rhino for more top speed. In New Mexico they can be plated and we see them on the highway frequently going 60+ MPH. If you need any utulity i would stick with the rhino, as well the aftermarket is huge for them.

After riding a polaris 4 wheeler i will never even consider one. Worse ride i have ever had. I ten year old honda rides nicer.

You should do all you can to drive them all before spending the money. Try finding a rental place.
    Not sure what you rode, but the RZR XP has a way better ride than a Rhino or any other side by side. Even a RZR-S is a better ride. When we go to Glamis or St Anthonys, the only Rhinos we see are usually long traveled or they don't handle that well in the whoops. Same in the rocks in Moab.

I have never seen a stock Rhino doing any more than very slow speed in any bumpy condition. The Can Ams are even worse. They buck like a Bronco in the whoops.

Maybe you are talking about ATV's as I have never been on a Polaris ATV so can't comment on the ride.

Here are some comparisons on the Polaris site.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...omparison.aspx