Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1

    Where to find geode beds

    I'm bringing my boys, (ages 5,7,10,12) out to Colorado for summer vacation. I want to take them out to dig for geodes. Does anybody know of a good place to dig for them? I'm not worried about finding big ones, I just don't want to spend all day driving and digging and come home empty handed.
    Last edited by madbob; June 20th, 2011 at 09:08 AM.

  2. #2
    MountainJeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    In my house in Centennial
    Member #
    443
    Iowa
    "Oh, no.... my beeeeeeer."

    "I am much better as a spaz"

  3. #3
    ni0h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    fred
    Member #
    6858
    Images
    1
    Wolf Creek Pass, Whitewater, Felch Creek and Houselog Creek
    I might have to find out where the last 3 are and go check it out. I haven't thought about geodes since I was too young to have any say in where we went when we were vacationing out there.
    I wonder if there are any on Antero. That sucker's a mineral lode.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I say some stupid sh!t here.

  4. #4
    School Zones Optional osirus82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Member #
    14132
    Marshall Pass - Jasper, agate, marble, some geodes, picture sandstone and rhyolite are found along the old abandoned railroad grade which serves as a summer visitors road over Marshall Pass. Some fossils are found on the western slope.
    "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate!"
    He has done much who leaves nothing over till to-morrow.

  5. #5
    Dave McDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Closer to heaven than most
    Member #
    2824
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    Wolf Creek Pass, Whitewater, Felch Creek and Houselog Creek
    I might have to find out where the last 3 are and go check it out. I haven't thought about geodes since I was too young to have any say in where we went when we were vacationing out there.
    I wonder if there are any on Antero. That sucker's a mineral lode.
    Antero is Aquamarine. You find a geode filled with Aquas and it'd be worth some major $$$.

    Aquas do form in vugs, but they're generally decomposed and broken up where you can find 'em without major equipment.
    Lunatic #15
    "A government big enough to give you a righteous buzz is also big enough to harsh your mellow." -Zapp
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

  6. #6
    Cool thread! I've always thought this stuff was cool but have yet to do any research.
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson -

  7. #7
    mavdog32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Member #
    19906
    My yard.....I have found two so far in the rocks they dumped in my yard for landscaping. Wonder where the rocks are from??
    Advanced Frameworks CJ-7 Frame, 5.3, 4L60E, D300, D60/35 spline, 14 bolt, 86 cj tub, Poison Spyder body armor, 37's, gen right 3 link front, 4 link rear, ORI,s , etc blah blah blah.

  8. #8
    School Zones Optional osirus82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Member #
    14132

  9. #9
    ni0h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    fred
    Member #
    6858
    Images
    1
    OK, I'm seeing something interesting develop here.... possibly a rockhounding trip? I was so into minerals when I was little, but in Indiana it was OOhh, limestone!... and if I was lucky, the occasional visible calcite crystal.

  10. #10
    School Zones Optional osirus82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Member #
    14132
    Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    OK, I'm seeing something interesting develop here.... possibly a rockhounding trip? I was so into minerals when I was little, but in Indiana it was OOhh, limestone!... and if I was lucky, the occasional visible calcite crystal.
    id be down for a small over night camping trip,-- depending where.... actually since i have 4 days off over the 4th i was thinking bout going for a day then. still gotta get some gear but thats easy.

  11. #11
    Old Fart Emeritus DaJudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Aurora CO
    Member #
    131
    Images
    6
    Some info in this thread: http://www.mindat.org/mesg-5-2228.html



    Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded.
    Life is good! לחיים

    MilitaryJeepers.com

  12. #12
    School Zones Optional osirus82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Member #
    14132
    this is a new record 10 posts and no trolling yet, this could get serious.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus82 View Post
    this is a new record 10 posts and no trolling yet, this could get serious.


    Quote Originally Posted by MountainJeep View Post
    Iowa
    Second post.
    Slacker.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    OK, I'm seeing something interesting develop here.... possibly a rockhounding trip? I was so into minerals when I was little, but in Indiana it was OOhh, limestone!... and if I was lucky, the occasional visible calcite crystal.
    I'm down...

  15. #15
    School Zones Optional osirus82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Member #
    14132
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.TJ View Post
    Second post.
    Slacker.
    kinda trolling----------- if you didnt know that the geode is Iowa's state stone


    http://www.igsb.uiowa.edu/browse/geodes/geodes.htm

    Geodes: A Look at Iowa's State Rock

    Iowa geodes have long been objects of curiosity, their sparkling interiors containing some of the most beautiful crystals to be found anywhere in the Midwest. Although geodes are known from many localities around the world, one of the most productive and famous collecting regions is encompassed within a 35-mile radius of Keokuk, Iowa. Rock collectors commonly refer to geodes from this region as "Keokuk geodes." In keeping with the world-renowned status of the Iowa geodes, the Iowa General Assembly declared the geodes as the official "State Rock" in 1967.

  16. #16
    I'm pretty ignorant about geodes...So I was wondering what info people here have. I'm curious as to how they form? Why are they in certain areas and not others? Which areas are best? How remote does one need to go into the area that hasn't been picked over?

  17. #17
    School Zones Optional osirus82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Member #
    14132
    i was kinda reading bout geodes today while on break *wink*, seems as though they are basically just air pockets caught in stone. i was thinking it was due to volcanic activity but from reading seems like it could be anything, wonder if there would be any testing to find out if the geode could be from like a dinosaur bone air pocket.

    seems as though some even still have water in them.

    if its just a air pocket in stone wonder if you people could drill holes in rock reseal them and come back in 20 years?????? sorta what they do for pearls now days.
    Last edited by osirus82; June 20th, 2011 at 02:35 PM.

  18. #18
    ni0h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    fred
    Member #
    6858
    Images
    1
    I think they're like when you grow sugar or salt crystals out of solution, forming on the inside surface of holes in rock. Water percolating through the rock dissolves minerals, and when they reach the hole there's room for the crystals to grow. I suspect there's got to be a chemical component to the process, though... dissolving compounds that lose a component making the solution supersaturated. Maybe carbonate ions that get to leave the water inside the cavity and bubble up and out?

  19. #19
    Mikegyver shadetreezj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Democratic republic of Denver
    Member #
    3219
    Images
    54
    My Iphone is smarter than your honor student.....

    I SUCK AT EGGS

  20. #20
    Are there enough here to actually find them while looking, or are they scarce enough to require luck??? This might be fun for the kids when they get a bit older.
    94 YJ 0cyl BDS 3.5", 5/8 Booms, SYE
    Waggy 44s, 1" BL, ARBs, 35" MTRs

  21. #21
    That was what I want to know. I did a google search, but couldn't find out how kid friendly the places are. Any personal experience here?

    Looks like Felch Creek is the only place close enough to keep the wife happy. has anybody been there?
    Last edited by madbob; June 21st, 2011 at 01:52 AM.

  22. #22
    ni0h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    fred
    Member #
    6858
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by madbob View Post
    Looks like Felch Creek is the only place close enough to keep the wife happy. has anybody been there?
    yeah....no... I don't think I want to take a trip up "Felch" creek.

    I think for kids to enjoy it, they'd have to have already seen an opened geode and be excited by the idea of finding one themselves. Sounds like most of those places have decent yields, though.

  23. #23
    Thunder eggs are popular in OR where they live, and there are rock shops all over that sell them in town. I also have a wet saw so we can cut them open.

  24. #24
    So let's say you go to one of the areas here in CO that has them...Are they spherical rocks that are just laying around on the surface? Are they often partially buried? Are most of them buried? How you know when you have one?

  25. #25
    School Zones Optional osirus82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Member #
    14132
    some on the surface, some i read bout had to be dug out- some are solid, some have broken crystals in them and will rattle when shaken, some have water in them-- so shakeem like a baby,

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus82 View Post
    some on the surface, some i read bout had to be dug out- some are solid, some have broken crystals in them and will rattle when shaken, some have water in them-- so shakeem like a baby,
    Wait, there's nothing more accurate than "shaken'em like babies?"

    Tap and listen? Weight? Shape?

    To me, it would be similiar to shroom hunting...There is a checklist one goes through in indentification.

  27. #27
    From what I've read most are generally round in shape, and buried. I'm skeptical to take the kids out, since I only get them for 2 weeks, I don't want them to be disappointed if they don't find anything cool, especially after digging all day. I may end up taking them to the Florrisant fossil quarry, I'm pretty sure they will find something interesting there.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by madbob View Post
    From what I've read most are generally round in shape, and buried. I'm skeptical to take the kids out, since I only get them for 2 weeks, I don't want them to be disappointed if they don't find anything cool, especially after digging all day. I may end up taking them to the Florrisant fossil quarry, I'm pretty sure they will find something interesting there.
    Thinking out loud, I would assume most are buried and the ones we find are either on the surface or partially buried. What I'm wondering is; how common is it to find a "bed," meaning, if you find one or two in an area do you start digging because there are bound to be more below?

  29. #29
    School Zones Optional osirus82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Member #
    14132
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    Thinking out loud, I would assume most are buried and the ones we find are either on the surface or partially buried. What I'm wondering is; how common is it to find a "bed," meaning, if you find one or two in an area do you start digging because there are bound to be more below?
    i would agree gags, but i think that situation would really only happen in a volcanic region since its more probable to have more oxygen traped in the earth ( who knows).
    but since they can be formed by animal holes and roots from trees over time, seems like those would be singles.

    i think the ones you would find on top would be partially uncovered by erosion, rain and wind.

    thinking about this ill bet that when energy companies start fracking for gas or oil that they are inadvertently destroying pockes of air in the ground and destroying any future geodes in the area.

  30. #30
    Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Buffalo Creek, CO
    Member #
    510
    Images
    106
    Be careful about where you're taking them from too... you could be claim jumping.
    ASE Master Tech
    '95 5.9 XJ on 44s and 35s
    Owner/Operator 4 On The Floor Automotive

  31. #31
    School Zones Optional osirus82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Member #
    14132
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    claim jumping.
    isnt that like seeing a married chick?

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by osirus82 View Post
    i would agree gags, but i think that situation would really only happen in a volcanic region since its more probable to have more oxygen traped in the earth ( who knows).
    but since they can be formed by animal holes and roots from trees over time, seems like those would be singles.

    i think the ones you would find on top would be partially uncovered by erosion, rain and wind.

    thinking about this ill bet that when energy companies start fracking for gas or oil that they are inadvertently destroying pockes of air in the ground and destroying any future geodes in the area.
    I was thinking that erosion by wind, water and gravity would be the revealing elements for surface hunting. So now I wonder if they're found near river beds or in rivers and streams. I assume the water locations would be less "picked over."

  33. #33
    You could do what this guy is doing....Prospecting on the streets of New York...

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/20...aping-streets/

Similar Threads

  1. truck beds
    By vb in forum General Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 25th, 2008, 01:45 PM
  2. tubed beds
    By milehighcowboy in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 13th, 2008, 10:37 PM
  3. Where in N. Co. to find....
    By Clod Hopper in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM
  4. Wheeling in lake beds
    By Jeep-in-dna in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM
  5. "Rhino Type Liners For More Than Just Truck Beds"
    By mikemike721 in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: December 11th, 2002, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •