Member #
    Images

Pellet Stove - POS doesn't heat

I bought a Harman XXV pellet stove from a local company in Evergreen because it seemed like the best option for heat downstairs other than baseboard electric. There is no gas or propane to the house so I am really not looking to install it, HOWEVER since the pellet stove has been installed it has been more of a floor anchor than a heating unit.

1. pellet stove shuts itself off due to "not combusting properly" of which I have found out can be for any simple reason the computer in the stove sees fit.
    2. pellet stove on max temp and high fan can only heat a room that is 10'x18' to a whopping 62* during the day hours...it drops to the 50's at night, then the baseboards kick on.
    3. company i have bought the pellet stove from has already been out twice to "fix" the stove. They claimed it was a baffling issue and siliconed something in the hopper. Stove still shuts itself off no matter which setting I put it on or how clean or not clean it is. (according to Harman's web site I shouldn't have to clean it every other day, just once after one ton of pellet's have gone through it.)

So, company i bought the stove from is coming out to "fix" it again on Wednesday of next week, meanwhile I freeze or crank up the baseboards so I don't freeze. The guy's that come out are really nice so I don't want to be a bitch but at this point considering I paid close to what a Dynatrac axle costs for this non-functioning pellet stove how should I approach this? Its under warranty. Do I tell them replace it because I'm done or do I see if they can "fix" it again?

I honestly think that the guys from the shop I bought it at think I'm lying about its malfunction and they are pushing me off because I'm female.

Input guys. Hippie said I should demand a replacement or a refund.
    TRAIL HUGGER - Enuf said.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by YJgirl View Post
    Hippie said I should demand a replacement or a refund.
    This, only this.
    "Blow and Hookers can change the World. - Gags
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycards View Post
    MJ has no lethal dose. You might crawl under your couch and eat M&M's all day if you get too high, but it ain't gonna kill you.

Tell them if it isn't fixed 100% to your satisfaction you want a refund. No questions asked.
    1980 Toyota....I scratched the paint!

Member #
    If the repair is done in a timely manner(within a day or two), Ill give them two chances and let them try again to fix it...though I shouldn't have too.

If its in a not so timely manner(more than a day or two), the second time they came to "fix it", I would demand a replacement\reinstall.
    Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot
    Caught My Eye Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I was WRONG!

Member #
    Get a refund and buy a Quadrafire I have had two one in Casa De Jinx that had no heat and it kept it warm.
    Wandering in the wilderness.

Member #
    Images
    Replace or refund.

My parents had a pellet stove in the living room and it would heat that room and the kitchen no problem to 70-80 degrees. It only had a feed speed adjustment and a manual flue damper. Yours sounds over engineered.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

Member #
    Images
    From my experiences, not all pellet stoves are created equal; and either is the pellets. One of my buddies in Canon City bought a pellet stove to heat his living room (old Victorian house) and it did all right during the day cranked up all the way, but at night it would get cold. He started to look into what he bought (impulse buy at the fair), and his 150.00 gas grill put out more BTU than his 3,000.00 pellet stove. It did improve when he bought better pellets in bulk.

What is the max BTU output of your "Dynatrac" stove? (you must get some deals on those axles don't you..LOL) Did they measure your basement and fit the stove properly to your needs?

How tall is the flue coming out of the basement? Reason I ask is sometimes there are length requirements on the flue from what I have been told. This may not be true, but would be something to look into.

Are you burning good pellets?

Is the room in the basement sealed off from the rest of the house? I looked into a pellet stove for my basement, but was told that all my heat would go directly upstairs since it is an open basement. I would have had to seal up the wall at the bottom of my stairs and install a door. The company was honest (due to I wouldn't have been happy with the results), but I didn't buy a pellet stove. FrankZ also backed that same theory up when he was servicing my furnace.
    03 Rubicon TJ in surgery
    Clowns Inc., member #1
    https://www.facebook.com/ClownsInc?cropsuccess#

Member #
    Images
    I had a Vermont Castings pellet stove in my baseboard electric heat condo. The thing cranked out the heat like crazy. The auger was loud, tho.

http://www.vermontcastings.com/

Your stove sounds defective.

Member #
    Images
    Was that dynatrac at val's cost or mine? Was it a relative cheapo or supposed to be top of the line? My pellet stove heats my whole 2 bd rm house wich is a massive 1175 sq ft. Fully automatic it lights itself and turns off as needed. We keep the living room where the fire place is 70 and one bag will last two days if the pellet stove is doing all the work. That keeps the rest of the house around 60 so at night we turn the ps off and turn on the nat gas heater to heat our bedroom.

Member #
    Input guys. Hippie said I should demand a replacement or a refund.[/QUOTE]

I concur. A decent pellet stove should heat 2 to 3 rooms to 70 degrees without a problem. Ours didn't shut down unless you had it running hard for like 18 hours straight then would be able to fire back up in an hour.

I cleaned mine once a month. My model was 15 years old.
    I suffered trail rejection from a carb infection and after futher inspection fuel injection was my election for proper correction and now I want some gear selection, any question?

We have a Whitfield ps down stairs where I spend most of my time and it will roast you out if you have it set on the max setting and the open basement is about 600sq feet.
    Rex Ashton, huh? Good to know.

Member #
    Images
    Harman rates that stove at 50kBTU -- even de-rate for nasty pellets and altitude the 180sqft room should be toasty warm...

Refund! Oh, and +1 for Quadra-Fire. I would go back and buy another with no questions asked.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Halvorson View Post
    From my experiences, not all pellet stoves are created equal; and either is the pellets. One of my buddies in Canon City bought a pellet stove to heat his living room (old Victorian house) and it did all right during the day cranked up all the way, but at night it would get cold. He started to look into what he bought (impulse buy at the fair), and his 150.00 gas grill put out more BTU than his 3,000.00 pellet stove. It did improve when he bought better pellets in bulk.

What is the max BTU output of your "Dynatrac" stove? (you must get some deals on those axles don't you..LOL) Did they measure your basement and fit the stove properly to your needs?

How tall is the flue coming out of the basement? Reason I ask is sometimes there are length requirements on the flue from what I have been told. This may not be true, but would be something to look into.

Are you burning good pellets?

Is the room in the basement sealed off from the rest of the house? I looked into a pellet stove for my basement, but was told that all my heat would go directly upstairs since it is an open basement. I would have had to seal up the wall at the bottom of my stairs and install a door. The company was honest (due to I wouldn't have been happy with the results), but I didn't buy a pellet stove. FrankZ also backed that same theory up when he was servicing my furnace.
    As Satan said, its rated at 50,000BTU so I should be sweating not shivering.

The company I bought it from was supposed to come out today and fix it for the third time but had to reschedule to next week because the tech called in sick. Meanwhile the stove was on at 2:00AM when I check it, it was off at 6:00AM and threw a "6" code which means not fully combusting.

Harman received a very detailed email today regarding the situation and I hope they respond. I would have called them but they don't have a phone number on the web site that I can find.

I've had it. it has to be replaced or fully refunded.

...oh, and that would be retail cost on a Dynatrac...

Public Relations Department

Can always call them and harass them for a support number...I have a feeling though they leave all support up to their dealers.
    '04 WJ 4.0L @ 6" on Clayton LA's & 35" BFG MT KM2's - [center][url=www.rockfrogs.org][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Rock Frogs![/B][/COLOR][/url] - [url=http://www.treadlightly.org][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Tread Lightly[/B][/COLOR][/url] - [url=http://www.staythetrail.org][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Stay The Trail[/B][/COLOR][/url][/center]

Member #
    Images
    As Satan said, its rated at 50,000BTU so I should be sweating not shivering.

The company I bought it from was supposed to come out today and fix it for the third time but had to reschedule to next week because the tech called in sick. Meanwhile the stove was on at 2:00AM when I check it, it was off at 6:00AM and threw a "6" code which means not fully combusting.

Harman received a very detailed email today regarding the situation and I hope they respond. I would have called them but they don't have a phone number on the web site that I can find.

I've had it. it has to be replaced or fully refunded.

...oh, and that would be retail cost on a Dynatrac...
    With the BTU it is "supposed" to put out, you should be sweating. At retail dynatrac pricing...that is enough to piss off the Pope.
    Hopefully you get it resolved and they take care of you. I would like to think that nobody takes advantage "just because you are a woman"...but the sky in my world is pink..and I know better after being married for 10 years, this kind of shit has happened several times.

Good luck.

I had purchased a Breckwell and had nothing but problems with it,I kept on the manufacturer about the dealer and he got them on it,since then no complaints. It is a pain but keep on both of them.Good Luck

Member #
    Images
    UPDATE:
    Mountain Hearth and Patio came out this morning and replaced the stove. The new one works marvelously!!! Puts off heat, has a big flame, functions properly without turning itself off.

They took my previous stove back to their shop, plugged it in to one of the spots on the showroom floor and called and appologized immediately. They never have seen a stove that was that much a lemon. ooof.

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    UPDATE:They never have seen a stove that was that much a lemon. ooof.
    It really makes me feel good that I'm not the only one in the world that this kind of thing happens to.
    "If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Member #
    Good deal, what a pisser that was.

Party at YJ Girls! Warm Party.

Member #
    Images
    Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Camp View Post
    It really makes me feel good that I'm not the only one in the world that this kind of thing happens to.
    I'm starting to feel in good company now, I always thought it we just me too.

I guess sometimes thing just don't work like they are designed. Glad you finally got it worked out.
    It is not the end. It is not the beginning of the end. It is the end of the beginning.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oleblue View Post
    I'm starting to feel in good company now, I always thought it we just me too.
    Actually for you, it is.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. Benjamin Franklin
    klaatu barada nikto

Quid Futuis