Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Images

Park Ranger shot in Moab?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...near-Moab.html

MOAB — A state park ranger was shot three times Friday evening in the parking lot of the Poison Spider Mesa trailhead off of Highway 279, just southwest of Moab.

The shooting occurred around 8:42 p.m., according to Grand County Sheriff Jim Nyland. The ranger was shot in the arm, leg and torso and was driven to Alan Memorial Hospital in Moab and flown to St Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo.

Authorities said they have not had a chance to speak with the victim, and do not have a description of the suspect. Multiple agencies have been dispatched.

Highway 279 and Cane Springs Road have been closed, Nyland said.

Member #
    Wow. Somebody is really stupid as well as a terrible shot.
    From the only state in the USA where O'dumbass failed to carry a single county.

Member #
    Images
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...near-Moab.html

They seem to have changed the link.

Looks like it was a traffic stop that happened to occur at the trail head...

-Zach
    Last edited by PhantomD AKA Zach; November 20th, 2010 at 08:12 AM.

94 Toyota Pickup, 4" Marlin, duals, e-lockers...
    I used to own a jeep...
    Click! for cheap York clutch!

Member #
    Images

Officers searching rugged canyon near Moab for gunman who shot ranger

Officers searching rugged canyon near Moab for gunman who shot ranger

Published: Saturday, Nov. 20, 2010 8:29 a.m. MST

MOAB — Officers swarmed a rugged Utah canyon west of Moab Saturday,
    searching for a man who shot and critically wounded a park ranger.

SWAT teams moved into the canyon near the Colorado River while boats
    patrolled the banks and a helicopter watched from above. Sharpshooters
    had surrounded lined the ridges overnight as authorities waited for sunrise
    to go after the suspect, Grand County Sheriff Jim Nyland said.

The state park law officer was in critical condition after being shot three
    times Friday night while patrolling the popular Poison Spider Mesa Trail,
    Parks spokeswoman Deena Loyola said.

Nyland told The Associated Press that a man confronted the ranger in the
    parking lot shortly before 9 p.m. He said the ranger was shot in the arm,
    leg and the stomach area.

"The park ranger was able to call in on the radio and advised that he was
    shot," the sheriff's office said in a statement on its website.

Nyland said the officer underwent surgery at St. Mary's hospital in Grand
    Junction, Colo., but he didn't have further details on his condition. The
    hospital's media department declined to comment.

Authorities are focusing on the canyon — about 20 miles west of Moab in
    east-central Utah — because the suspect's silver Pontiac Grand Am was
    found nearby, about eight miles southwest of the shooting site. They're
    not sure whether the suspect is alone.

Investigators were still piecing together what occurred but said the
    shooting likely happened while the suspect was parking or during a traffic
    stop.

It wasn't immediately clear what sparked the violence and Nyland said
    authorities still haven't been able to interview the injured lawman.

Loyola said the officer, whose name wasn't released, was speaking to
    medics and at the hospital.

"We're taking that as a good sign," she said.

The Poison Spider Mesa trail to the south of Moab is among Utah's best-
    known biking runs with enthusiasts calling it an especially challenging but
    scenic loop that rises more than 1,000 feet into the surrounding
    countryside.

© 2010 Deseret News Publishing Company | All rights reserved
    Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded.
    Life is good! לחיים

MilitaryJeepers.com

Sounds like maybe the douche drove further out towards Potash after the shooting. If you're gonna pick a place to hide, there's certainly plenty out that way.

Hopefully they catch the bastard and the Ranger is okay.
    www.staythetrail.org

The Poison Spider Mesa trail to the south of Moab is among Utah's best-
    known biking runs with enthusiasts calling it an especially challenging but
    scenic loop that rises more than 1,000 feet into the surrounding
    countryside.

Member #
    Images
    I was glad to read about the suspect's "silver grand am". I figure probably a mountain biker getting ready to hit the trail at dawn and blasted out of his mind on shrooms. Not a jeeper, anyway.
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I say some stupid sh!t here.

Member #
    Apparently 9News can't spell or use a dictionary...

http://www.9news.com/

Park ranger shot, officers search canyon for supsect

MOAB, Utah (AP) - Officers swarmed a rugged Utah canyon flanked by steep cliffs west of Moab Saturday in their search for a man who authorities say shot and critically wounded a park ranger
    '81 Bronco,407ci Projection/C-6/NP208/Built 9" Strange carrier and spool/Straight D44 LockRight/37"MTr's/OBA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9News is ridiculous with the absolute lack of editing or basic journalism they display. Spelling, punctuation and the W's are foreign to them. That said, I like their website layout better than the other Denver-area news stations.
    ☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌ 
    / \ Copy and paste him
    Jim - www.yuccaman.com - '04 LJ Unlimited

Member #
    I just heard on KOA that they have found a rifle & a backpack so far. Maybe they are closing in on the shooter.

Best update I have seen yet -

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...rk-ranger.html

Sheriff vows to catch man involved in shooting of park ranger

Grand County Sheriff Jim Nyland vows to catch the man who shot and injured a Utah state parks ranger Friday.

"I'm gonna catch him," Nyland said. "We know he's still there, and there's not any way out for him."

A full-scale search is set to resume Sunday morning in the hunt for the man officers say shot Utah State Parks and Recreation law enforcement officer Brody Young.

The search was scaled back to about 20 officers Saturday evening.

"(We) ran out of daylight," Nyland said.

Young, 34, was shot at least three times, in the arm, leg and stomach, after stopping a vehicle at the Poison Spider Mesa trailhead about 9 p.m. Friday.

Nyland said Young exchanged gunfire with the driver, who sped away from the scene and remains on the loose somewhere in the canyon.

Young was able to radio for help, and officers from various agencies spent the day Saturday attempting to locate the shooter.

Officials said Young remains in critical but stable condition.

Officers recovered a backpack and a rifle in the canyon during Saturday's search that involved at least 60 officers from various agencies, along with K-9 units. A bloody T-shirt officers say the man may have used as a tourniquet also was found.

The man was believed to be carrying a .40-caliber handgun and may have been shot. All campsites in the area have been evacuated.

"Everybody's trying to be careful so we don't get any of our people hurt," Nyland said Saturday, "and of course we consider this guy armed and dangerous."

Though searchers have not spotted the shooter, Nyland said there are strong indications he remains in the area.

"It's where the Colorado River goes into the canyon," he said, "so there are steep cliffs on both sides. And other than walking up the river, he doesn't have anywhere else to go."

Brody Young's stepmother, Micheline Young, said she was surprised anyone would react to him in a violent way.

"He's just not abrupt," she said. "He would never irritate someone to this point."

Brody Young and his wife, Wendy, live in Moab and have three children under age 6. He has worked for the Utah State Parks and Recreation Department for 4 1/2 years, according to Utah State Parks spokeswoman Deena Loyola.

"I think we're a little bit in shock," Loyola said. "We've never had anything like this happen. He's one of our own."

Brody Young's father, wife and at least one sister were with him at the hospital Saturday. Members of the family's LDS Church ward were helping to watch the children, Micheline Young said.

"We were told by doctors that they have an excellent team working on him, so we're just hopeful that he'll be all right," she said.

Both lovers of the outdoors, Brody and Wendy Young worked as river guides in Moab after they were married and spent countless hours exploring the area, Micheline Young said.

"They would spend every summer in that area," she said.

David Nordquist, Young's brother-in-law, said it's rare to catch Young without a smile on his face.

"He's the nicest guy you'll ever meet," Nordquist said.

Micheline Young said her stepson's job has put him in dangerous situations before, "but never alone."

"He was always part of a team," she said. "They would look out for each other."

That team of park rangers was in full force Saturday, combing cliff sides and river banks for any sign of the shooter.

"Ever since we got the call, we've been looking for this guy," Nyland said.

The man had roughly a four-hour head start on searchers, who waited until daylight to get into the canyon.

The silver Pontiac Grand Am the man was driving was found at the end of a road about 12 miles from where the shooting occurred, and footprints were located leading from the car into the canyon. The car is registered to an owner in the Salt Lake area.

Sid Groll, law enforcement director with the Utah Department of Natural Resources, said a ranger being shot is rare, though the job increasingly involves dealing with dangerous people.

"We see those things periodically, and we try and avoid those and teach our individuals how to deal with those kinds of circumstances," Groll said. "But sometimes it happens."

The trail, located south of Moab, is among Utah's best-known biking runs, with enthusiasts calling it an especially challenging but scenic loop that rises more than 1,000 feet into the surrounding countryside. It is popular to campers and hikers alike.

No access was being granted to the canyon during the search for the suspect.
    Jeff Mason
    99 Isuzu Amigo.

Hopefully if/when they find him, they take care of bidness on the spot.....plenty of places/ways to do it in that country
    "God created man...Sam Colt made him equal"

Member #
    Images
    I hope he resists arrest.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drueg View Post
    Apparently 9News can't spell or use a dictionary...

http://www.9news.com/

Park ranger shot, officers search canyon for supsect

MOAB, Utah (AP) - Officers swarmed a rugged Utah canyon flanked by steep cliffs west of Moab Saturday in their search for a man who authorities say shot and critically wounded a park ranger
    WJW I bet you have never reversed letters by mistake or misspelled a word in your entire life, right . Is that all you have to bitch about. Really

Hope they catch the guy.
    The Rig is for sale!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LONEWOLF View Post
    WJW I bet you have never reversed letters by mistake or misspelled a word in your entire life, right . Is that all you have to bitch about. Really

Hope they catch the guy.
    Yes I have, but I also use spell check and I don't get paid to spell things correctly.
    Bit cranky are we?

Member #
    Images
    Perhaps

It's also a pattern for 9News. I see better grammar and punctuation around here than I do on 9News.

I'll be surprised if this guy can survive another night out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I'll be surprised if this guy can survive another night out there.
    I'd be happy if he didn't.

Member #
    Images
    Buzzard bait

Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    I was glad to read about the suspect's "silver grand am". I figure probably a mountain biker getting ready to hit the trail at dawn and blasted out of his mind on shrooms. Not a jeeper, anyway.
    Yea, cause all mountain bikers are drug addled criminals.

No mention of a mountain bike or the guy being a mountain biker.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Yea, cause all mountain bikers are drug addled criminals.

No mention of a mountain bike or the guy being a mountain biker.
    I didn't see nor mention a bicycle. Do you have information I don't?

Member #
    Images
    I didn't see nor mention a bicycle. Do you have information I don't?
    You started the rumor in post #7 above.

News mentioned they expanded the search to the train tunnel that runs under the whole Mesa. I'm thinking he's long gone by now.

Member #
    Images
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...olice.html.csp

Authorities following ‘hot trail’ in search for shooter

By AARON FALK AND Cimaron neugebauer
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Published: November 21, 2010 09:25PM
    Updated: November 21, 2010 09:33PM

A manhunt Saturday and Sunday by multiple law enforcement agencies along the
    Colorado River bottoms was focused on apprehending whoever shot and wounded state
    park ranger Brody Young at the Poison Spider Trailhead southwest of Moab on Friday
    night.

Moab • Stormy weather Sunday hindered searchers combing the rugged, red rock
    terrain outside Moab where the man accused of shooting and wounding a state parks
    ranger over the weekend is believed to be hiding.

Searchers had hoped to get a better look in the desert area where the day before
    investigators found items, including a backpack and a bloodied T-shirt, thought to
    belong to the wounded man. The area is near a spot called Caveman Ranch.

Police called off the search as darkness fell Sunday. It is set to resume at dawn
    Monday.

“The weather moved in on us,” Grand County Sheriff Jim Nyland said, after dark had
    fallen Sunday. “We had one area we were really in particular interested in. We tried to
    move into that area and as soon as we moved in, it started raining, the wind started
    blowing. ... I know we didn’t complete the assignment tonight we wanted to.”

Nyland said the shooter is wounded and has been without food for more than a day.
    “We’re thinking he’s still alive. We don’t know for sure,” he said. Police have not
    released the suspect’s name.

The wounded parks ranger, Brody Young, 34, remained in critical but stable condition
    late Sunday at St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo. “It appears he’s starting to
    improve,” Nyland said. “They’re still doing surgeries.” Police have not been able to
    speak with Young since he was shot.

Young, a park ranger for more than 5 years, was critically injured in a shootout about
    8:40 p.m. Friday, shortly after he pulled over a silver Pontiac Grand Am in the parking
    lot of the Poison Spider Trailhead, just south of Moab. Young was shot in the leg, arm
    and torso, but was able to report via radio that he had been shot.

“We don’t really know what caused the shooting,” Nyland said. Young was doing a
    routine traffic stop, talked to the driver and, for unknown reasons, a gunfight erupted,
    he said.

About 10 p.m. Friday, a Utah Highway Patrol helicopter spotted the Pontiac abandoned
    on Potash Road about 15 miles southwest of Moab, just west of the meandering
    Colorado River. The registered owner is from the Salt Lake City area.

After searching a 15-square-mile area near the Colorado River on Saturday, Police
    Sunday were focusing intently on a 2-mile area around where the items believed to
    belong to the shooter were found. The search terrain is extremely rugged, Nyland said,
    full of caves and crevices. Police believe the shooter is possibly hiding in the boulders on
    the mountainside.

“I talked to one searcher who was in this area working and he had to take off his pack,
    and vest, lay down his rifle and crawl back in there with his flashlight to make sure no
    one was in there. It’s going to be difficult,” Nyland said.

Police watched the area of interest overnight. More than 200 officers from Utah,
    Colorado and Arizona, including K9 teams, searched Sunday, with each officer pulling
    12-hour shifts.

Nyland said he expects the number of searchers to remain at the same level. Boats and
    helicopters will again be used in the search, he said.

Police had found fresh footprints Sunday morning, following rain the night before, but
    by late afternoon, stormy weather set in. “It kind of turned against us,” Nyland said.

Three helicopters, including one with infrared capability, helped in the search Sunday.
    Boats monitored the Colorado River. SWAT teams had been stationed near a ranch in
    the area and on a train that carries materials out of the nearby Potash mine. Search
    teams checked the railroad from State Road 191 to the Intrepid Potash Plant. Search
    teams also cleared all railroad freight cars stationed at Potash.

Nyland said he was “confident” police would find the shooter.

He said investigators have spoken to the man’s family. “The information we’re getting is
    he’s not really a back country, hard-core outdoorsman.”

The man has only misdemeanor citations, mostly traffic tickets, and no history of
    violence, police said.

Police have blocked off the highway to the Poison Spider trail, but were still finding
    campers in the area Sunday. One man, who identified himself only as Dan, said he
    spent the night in his sport utility vehicle after coming across a washed out Mineral
    Basin Road late Saturday.

“The helicopters woke me up,” he said. “(A sheriff’s deputy) checked me out to make
    sure I wasn’t the gunman.”

Nyland said he believes the suspected shooter is still in the contained search area. “We
    feel there’s not any possible way for him to leave the area without us knowing.”

He confirmed Sunday that officers from San Juan County and Kane County have arrived
    to assist with the search. Given experience Kane County officers had this past summer
    tracking down another officer shooting suspect in Kanab, Nyland said they are running
    off of a good track record for finding suspects.

Young’s next-door neighbor Tasia Kelley said the Young family moved into the area
    about two years ago and are just “really nice people.” She and her family were
    surprised to hear he was shot in the red rock country.

Young and his wife Wendy have three children, all younger than 5.

Young’s stepmother, Micheline Young, of Arizona, said the ranger loves the outdoors.
    She doesn’t understand what would cause someone to shoot him.

“I feel really bad because Brody spends a lot of hours, especially during the summer,
    safeguarding the people [of Moab],” Micheline said Saturday evening. “And on a couple
    occasions has even helped recover [dead] bodies from the river. I mean he really is a
    hero and he did not deserve this. It made us feel bad that anyone would have to feel
    like they have to do this to someone.”

She said her husband, along with other family members, traveled to Colorado to be
    with her son after hearing he had been shot.

“We visit Moab and you think of campers and tourists. This is not somebody that got
    mad and shot at him, he really came after him. It was just really shocking to us,” Young
    said.

On Saturday, authorities tracked the shooter along the Colorado River bottoms, about
    22 miles southwest of Moab and east of Dead Horse State Park. During the search,
    officers found the items believed to belong to the man.

A .22-caliber rifle was recovered along with the backpack and the piece of blood-soaked
    T-shirt. Nyland said they believe the shirt was used as a tourniquet. The backpack
    contained a small amount of clothing, canned goods and an empty gun holster believed
    to hold a .40-caliber handgun.

afalk@sltrib.com
    cimaron@sltrib.com

Moab residents express concerns

The police search for the man who shot and critically wounded state parks ranger Brody
    Young is an uncommon scene for Moab.

When you have an officer shot, everyone wants to help,” said Moab Police Chief Mike
    Navarre.

As helicopters flew off in the distance, armored SWAT vehicles took up parking stalls at
    a grocery store Sunday. “It’s strange to have so much law enforcement in Moab
    because it’s usually so quiet and peaceful,” said Tara Beresh, a manager at the Arches
    Book Company on Main Street.

Beth Wolff, a Moab resident of three years, said she had been jogging near the Poison
    Spider Trailhead a few hours before the shooting.

“It’s just kind of spooky,” she said. “It’s upsetting to a lot of people. There’s plenty of us
    that live here for the trails and the scenery and spend a lot of time out there.”

Navarre said the injured shooter posed no threat to residents in the town.

“Most people in town are worried but confident in what we are doing,” he said. “But as
    far as this person being a threat? No.”

Aaron Falk
    © 2010 The Salt Lake Tribune

Member #
    Images
    I didn't see nor mention a bicycle.
    Um, yeah, you did:

I figure probably a mountain biker getting ready to hit the trail at dawn and blasted out of his mind on shrooms.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    News mentioned they expanded the search to the train tunnel that runs under the whole Mesa. I'm thinking he's long gone by now.
    They may never find him. Remember the Four Corners Fugitives from 1998? Killed a Cortez police officer and disappeared:

http://adventure.nationalgeographic....d-roberts-text

http://www.southwestguidebooks.com/fugitives.htm

Member #
    Has anybody seen/heard any updates on this?

Quote Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post
    They may never find him. Remember the Four Corners Fugitives from 1998? Killed a Cortez police officer and disappeared:
    It may end in a suicide too.
    My guess is the guy is dead already. I was part of a manhunt in 1994 in Lake City. The people shot themselves while we were looking for them. We were in sight of them, and on their track. They were up on a hillside above us, and could see a dozen officers, and dogs heading their way. And we still couldn't find them. Strong winds were keeping the dogs from working right, and they also kept us from pinpointing where we heard shot fired from while we were searching.

"Sheriff Coursey was shot and killed while he and the Undersheriff made a high risk traffic stop of a vehicle that was believed to have been used in a bank robbery in another county. The suspects opened fire on the two officers, killing Sheriff Coursey. The two suspects, a man and woman, remained at large for several months until their bodies were found in a sleeping bag underneath a tree. Both had committed suicide with the same weapon used to murder Sheriff Coursey."
    President- Grand Mesa Jeep Club, 2011/2012/2013
    BoneHeadCustomz.com

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycrawler View Post
    Has anybody seen/heard any updates on this?
    Arrest warrant issued in Utah ranger shooting

By The Associated Press
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010

MOAB, Utah — An arrest warrant has been issued for a suspect in the shooting of a
    Utah park ranger.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports that the Grand County sheriff’s office issued the warrant
    today for a man who has eluded searchers in the redrock canyons around Moab.

The sheriff’s office notified other police agencies today to be on the lookout for
    40-year-old Lance Leeroy Arellano.

Authorities say Arellano was wounded in the shootout Friday with park ranger Brody
    Young.

The 34-year-old Young was wounded in the arm, leg and abdomen. His family says he
    remains in serious condition after weekend surgery.

Salt Lake City television station KSL-TV, reporting from Moab, says authorities searched
    caves, gullies and boulder fields around Caveman Ranch today but turned up no clues.

Lance Leeroy Arellano is seen in a 2008 photo provided by the Grand County, Utah,
    Sheriffs Office Sunday, Nov. 21, 2010. A search resumes Monday, Nov. 22, 2010 in rugged
    red rock terrain near Moab, Utah for Arellano, 40, sought in the Friday shooting of Utah
    park ranger Brody Young. (AP Photo/Grand County, Utah, Sheriffs Office)
    Last edited by DaJudge; November 23rd, 2010 at 08:19 PM.

Looks like the guy is around Caveman Ranch S of Moab. (I've flown into Caveman a few times and know the owner well). Pretty rugged country, it doesn't get much worse than that area.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13386591

Pretty poor reporting. I'm sure these guys are searching their asses off and this is how it is reported

"They looked around large boulders, in some cracks and gullies in the landscape, and also into some caves and overhangs that are in the area. The terrain is very rugged."

The weather being what it is I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's already dead of exposure.
    "Someone else says the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and drank whiskey and played poker with the locals until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead." ---'98 XJ, 2" lift, all open, 31's.

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theirishavenger View Post
    The weather being what it is I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's already dead of exposure.
    It would save the taxpayers some money if he is, even if it does take a few more days to find him.
    "If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." Thomas Jefferson

Any more info on this yet?

Member #
    Images

Sheriff on Moab shooter: ‘If he’s still alive, he will be found’

Sheriff on Moab shooter: ‘If he’s still alive, he will be found’

By Aaron Falk
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Published: November 24, 2010 03:00PM
    Updated: November 24, 2010 05:39PM

Moab • The helicopters that took over the skies earlier this week were gone
    Wednesday. So, too, were the hounds that had been tracking through the
    desert.

After five days of searching for Lance Leeroy Arellano, the man suspected of
    shooting state park ranger Brody Young outside of Moab last week, officials
    have significantly scaled back the manhunt.

During another night of freezing temperatures, snow coated the redrock
    valley Wednesday morning.

Police believe Young’s shooter is either dead or will be caught.

“If he’s still alive, he will be found,” said San Juan Sheriff Mike Lacy, whose
    agency has been assisting in the search.

Potash Road remained closed Wednesday. Police were searching vehicles,
    most returning from the Intrepid Potash Plant, for signs of the shooter.

On the other side of the Colorado River, a few Jeeps and campers took
    advantage of the reopened Kane Creek Road.

About 30 officers will keep watch over the rugged area where Arellano was
    believed to have been, said Grand County Sheriff Jim Nyland. A scaled-back
    search effort will continue in the desert “until we’re satisfied that he may no
    longer be down there,” the sheriff said.

Most of the officers, accounting for dozens of agencies from three states,
    were sent home Tuesday.

“We used every resource available that was offered to us,” Nyland said as he
    announced a change of direction in the search effort Tuesday. “We just
    couldn’t locate this individual.”

Arellano was charged Tuesday with first-degree felony attempted murder in
    7th District Court. An attempt-to-locate bulletin for Arellano was also issued
    that afternoon.

Police say Arellano opened fire on ranger Brody Young, 34, at the Poison
    Spider trailhead southwest of Moab on Friday.

Young remained in serious condition at St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction,
    Colo., on Wednesday afternoon.

Young’s friends said the father of three was not the type to initiate
    confrontation.

“That wouldn’t be him at all,” said Brian Merrill, of Western River Expeditions,
    where Young worked as a Colorado River guide for several years before
    becoming a park ranger. “He is one of those super personable people. Very
    upbeat. Always a smile on his face. ... Whoever shot him must have had
    something going on. It probably didn’t matter which law enforcement officer
    walked up to him, it would have been the same result.”

© 2010 The Salt Lake Tribune

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    This is a case were it would be nice to see the authorities have access to a good FLIR system on one of their helicopters. They should have had that right up front and they would have been able to find him if he was in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp View Post
    This is a case were it would be nice to see the authorities have access to a good FLIR system on one of their helicopters. They should have had that right up front and they would have been able to find him if he was in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaJudge View Post

Three helicopters, including one with infrared capability, helped in the search Sunday. Boats monitored the Colorado River. SWAT teams had been stationed near a ranch in the area and on a train that carries materials out of the nearby Potash mine. Search teams checked the railroad from State Road 191 to the Intrepid Potash Plant. Search teams also cleared all railroad freight cars stationed at Potash.

Salt Lake Tribune
    Looks like they do/did.
    "The Jalapeno" '93 ZJ that occasionally gets some of my attention http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=5024
    CSU BigWheels club: http://csubigwheels.forumotion.net/

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideTireZJ View Post
    Looks like they do/did.
    Guess I should have read that long post of his I'm shocked they couldn't find him with FLIR. He must have either not been their or found a cave to hide in.

Did they ever catch this guy?

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BusaDave9 View Post
    Did they ever catch this guy?
    No.

Family of wounded ranger ‘grateful’ for outpouring of support

by Danny Chandler
    contributing writer Moab Times Independent
    12.16.10 - 09:03 am

Almost four weeks after the incident that critically wounded her husband, Utah
    State Parks Ranger Brody Young, Wendy Young has one word to express her
    emotions: gratitude.

“We appreciate all the love and support we have received from everyone in Moab,
    everywhere,” said Wendy Young.

Support for the Young family has been “tremendous,” Wendy Young said, and it
    has been much appreciated.

“Just keep sending your positive energy and prayers,” she said. “They are helping
    more than you will ever know!”

Brody Young was shot multiple times and critically wounded Nov. 19 during a
    routine traffic stop at Poison Spider trailhead west of Moab. The man suspected of
    shooting Young, Lance Leeroy Arellano, 40, has not yet been found by police.

Young has been in the intensive care unit at St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction,
    Colo., since being admitted there the night of his injuries.

“He’s improving daily,” Wendy Young said of her husband, whose condition is
    now listed as “fair,” according to St. Mary’s officials.

“He looks a thousand times better than when I saw him the day after he was shot,”
    said Jason Taylor, a family friend of the Youngs’. Taylor visited Brody Young this
    week at St. Mary’s, his visit a rare exception to a strict family-only policy Young’s
    doctors are maintaining. The family has asked for more time before any requests to
    visit Brody Young are made.

Support and positive energy for the Youngs have been continuous over the past
    several weeks. Fund-raisers, blood drives, benefit funds and donation boxes have
    all been established for Young.

A benefit concert and auction fund-raiser was held Friday in Salt Lake City, and
    organizers and attendees said the event was a tremendous outpouring of support
    for “Ranger Brody.”

“They’re incredibly loved,” said Brian Merrill, one of the event’s organizers.
    “There were an equal number of people there who know them personally and
    people who had never heard of them.”

The benefit raised more than $22,000 in proceeds from auctions, door ticket sales,
    vendor sales and donations, Merrill said. The money, and funds donated to a Wells
    Fargo benefit fund, will be used to help the family pay for medical and other
    expenses that are not covered by Brody Young’s insurance, friends and family
    have said.

Many Moab-based businesses and individuals donated auction items for the fund-
    raiser to benefit the Young family. Goods and services donated included guided
    river trips, Jeep rentals, resort accommodations, outdoor recreational equipment
    and auto services.

Taylor said one anonymous man twice donated Utah Jazz tickets for the auction,
    even though he had never met Brody Young. The Sandy Police Department
    donated a four-hour SWAT training session to be auctioned off, according to
    Kathleen Lawry.

Moab businessman and longtime Young family friend Steve Lawry called the event
    “absolutely wonderful.”

“The amount of money raised was astronomical, and the donations were sincere,”
    he said. “Everyone really wanted to make a difference.”

Taylor, a local business owner and president of the Moab Area Chamber of
    Commerce, volunteered at the benefit. He said individuals were “overpaying” all
    night to benefit Brody Young.

“All night people would pay $20 for the $10 admission ticket and tell me to keep
    the change for Brody,” he said. “That sort of thing happened all over, all night.”

Despite the serious nature of the reasons behind the benefit, attendees said there
    was a warm and positive atmosphere during the fund-raiser.

“It was just a group of friends who don’t want Wendy and Brody to think they’re
    out of their lives,” said Moab resident Kathleen Lawry. “It was a good crowd, a
    good feeling, and it ended up being perfect.”

Though still unable to talk, Brody Young expressed surprise when told about all
    the support offered to his family by friends, family and members of the community,
    Taylor said.

“His eyes got really big when I told him about it,” he said. “He was really
    humbled.”

All of the support is also much appreciated by Wendy Young, who said the people
    of Grand Junction are taking good care of the family as well. Along with her three
    young children, Wendy Young has settled into a still hectic, but stable life in their
    temporary residence near St. Mary’s.

“We have our bikes and have been a hitting the pavement often,” she said.

Anyone wanting to write to Brody Young is encouraged by the family to do so.
    Letters can be sent to Ranger Brody Young, #454, 1192 E. Draper
    Pkwy., Draper UT 84020.

Donations benefiting the Young family can be made to the “Brody Young Benefit
    Fund” at any branch of Wells Fargo Bank.

Copyright 2010 Moab Times-Independent. All rights reserved.

© moabtimes.com 2010