Bed Bug Alert: Moab Super 8!!!

Stayed at the Moab Super 8 last weekend and came away with over 100 bed bug bites, confirmed by my doctor this AM. Found numerous complaints about this in web hotel reviews, going back months. Stay away from that place until they clean it up. From alerts I read today on the web Moab hotels & motels have a bed bug outbreak going on right now. Trust me, you DO NOT want bed bug bites!!!!

Always good to know.
    Eco-Electrical Contractors #5969
    "Responsible Electrical Solutions"

Member #
    Nasty
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Images
    damned east-coast tourists. Can't we widen the Mississippi or something?
    tummy-tucked 2005 LJ rubi softtop on 1"BL/MML(for TT),3.5" SA, 35x12.5-15.
    Loon 42
    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I say some stupid sh!t here.

Quote Originally Posted by ni0h View Post
    damned east-coast tourists. Can't we widen the Mississippi or something?
    Colorado currently has one of the highest instances of bed bugs.

Ick, thanks for the heads-up. We've stayed there several times in the past, but probably not for a few years now.
    Just a girly little Jeep...

Quote Originally Posted by Colo.TJ View Post
    Colorado currently has one of the highest instances of bed bugs.
    See? It's all them tourists!
    ☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌ 
    / \ Copy and paste him
    Jim - www.yuccaman.com - '04 LJ Unlimited

Member #
    Tempurpedic beds ftw!

Thats it, time for a CAMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sucks Jerry, now your gonna have to decontaminate all your stuff you brought back with you before it gets in your house. Did the motel at least comp your room?
    My name is Daniel. I pretty much do what I want.

Nasty!!!
    2001 KTM 200 E/XC * 2001 Marauder * 1995 F150 * 1968 Mustang

Whoops. I meant incidence.

Last edited by Colo.TJ; October 30th, 2010 at 12:01 PM.

Member #
    Images
    look at the date in that map...

2007... and I have personally heard of 3 in my appt complex and been witness to one of them. bedbugs are NASTY!

-Zach

94 Toyota Pickup, 4" Marlin, duals, e-lockers...
    I used to own a jeep...
    Click! for cheap York clutch!

Quote Originally Posted by AMXROCKRIG View Post
    Thats it, time for a CAMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sucks Jerry, now your gonna have to decontaminate all your stuff you brought back with you before it gets in your house. Did the motel at least comp your room?
    Yeah, I've sprayed & vacuumed everything. Fortunately I never put anything on the bed but me, a practice I learned from a travellers warning some years ago. Unfortunately the infestation may have been bad enough to still get eggs & bugs in my stuff. I've been scouring everything, including the JK.

Once I confirmed what this was I called the Super 8 on friday and notified the manager. He was pretty dismissive and made no offers. We'll see if his attitude changes after the local health department and lawyer I'm hiring on Monday give him a call. No excuse for this, for me to get bitten that many times in two nights that room has been infested for ages.

The bad thing about this is the bites don't start to show up as welts & itches for several days, so a traveller can be long gone before noticing anything. I didn't have any symptoms until Monday evening, and I thought it was an allergic reaction to something. It wasn't confirmed until Friday when I went to Urgent Care, so all that time my stuff was sitting in the house, potentially infesting the place. I figure Super 8 won't mind the expense of the exterminator, new bedding, etc. Jerks!!!!

This sucks. Never had them...hope I never do. And yes I think they should be liable.
    "God created man...Sam Colt made him equal"

Wait, sueing them? What for exactly?
    - JD
    2004 WJ- Stock...for now...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods Rambler View Post
    A skanky room that had an infestation...which in turn required him to fumigate and\or replace his belongings. And it sounds like they were less than willing to help or give some suitable compensation in this case. I understand its Super 8 and all but come on...thats just unacceptable and a total health and public safety issue here.

Id say thats grounds for a good lawsuit...
    Last edited by Jeffro600; November 1st, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
    [B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot [/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Hesperia-CA/Caught-My-Eye-Photography/366899572049?ref=ts"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][B]Caught My Eye Photography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
    [QUOTE=Steve]I was WRONG![/QUOTE]

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    I have not encountered bed bugs yet but, do travel a lot for work. If you get into them and suspect you've brought them home, how in the world do you make sure you kill them all at home without having to hire a professional exterminator or tenting and fume the whole building?
    "If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro600 View Post
    A skanky room that had an infestation...which in turn required him to fumigate and\or replace his belongings. And it sounds like they were less than willing to help or give some suitable compensation in this case. I understand its Super 8 and all but come on...thats just unacceptable and a total health and public safety issue here.

Id say thats grounds for a good lawsuit...
    THIS for God's sake this! I would not hesitate! Just even for all of the work of cleaning everything, the wondering etc. Plus, the fact that they didn't fall all over themselves trying to do something about it is reason enough. Sounds like they could have give a rats ass.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods Rambler View Post
    So the pricks will clean up there act!

Your going to have to hire a pro to do the job as they are that hard to kill off. Right now the best way to do it is to heat the whole house to 130f for a few hours to kill off the bugs and their eggs.
    You Can't Prove It Won't Happen

Quote Originally Posted by Camp View Post
    I have not encountered bed bugs yet but, do travel a lot for work. If you get into them and suspect you've brought them home, how in the world do you make sure you kill them all at home without having to hire a professional exterminator or tenting and fume the whole building?
    If your really worried buy one of these and stick your suitcase in it before going in the house

http://www.amazon.com/PackTite-Porta.../dp/B002C4NVO4

Member #
    Yea they are saying the best way to find out if you have them if you suspect it is to hire someone who has a bedbug trained sniffer dog. Then the superheat treatment if you do.
    Jim
    2008 Grand Cherokee Overland, Hemi, new to me no mods yet

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
    Yea they are saying the best way to find out if you have them if you suspect it is to hire someone who has a bedbug trained sniffer dog. Then the superheat treatment if you do.
    Jim
    Wow, that sucks. I typically bug bomb my house in Evergreen twice a year to keep the spiders and such down but, it doesn't sound like these things would be phased by that if for some reason I had them. Hopefully my current tenant doesn't introduce them into that house at any point. If I got them in my current apartment, I'd be able to have the complex rid them but, my house would be a different story. I don't think my tube heater, wood stove, and furnace together are enough to get my house hot enough to kill them, at least not in the winter. I wonder if you can freeze them?

Member #
    Images
    Wow, that sucks. I typically bug bomb my house in Evergreen twice a year to keep the spiders and such down but, it doesn't sound like these things would be phased by that if for some reason I had them. Hopefully my current tenant doesn't introduce them into that house at any point. If I got them in my current apartment, I'd be able to have the complex rid them but, my house would be a different story. I don't think my tube heater, wood stove, and furnace together are enough to get my house hot enough to kill them, at least not in the winter. I wonder if you can freeze them?
    And all the plumbing....
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F. Kennedy

Resident Gorilla
    Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound_Man View Post
    And all the plumbing....
    My house was build in the 1920's, then added on to in the 1950's. I'm the first person to ever live in it and I moved into it a little over 4 years ago. It was a vacation home for a trust and is very intentionally set up to be easy to drain back all the plumbing, shut off and let go cold. Freezing them out would be easy at my place, if it was winter.

My house had been empty and turned off for 3 years when I bought it.

....I wonder if you can freeze them?
    "Bed bugs also will succumb to cold temperatures below 32F, but the freezing temperatures must be maintained for several days."
    http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp
    I started with nothing, and I've got most of it left.

Update on this, I contacted the county health dept about this on Monday. Got an immediate call back from the health inspector wanting details, room number, etc. Very knowledgeable guy. He contacted the hotel owners, not the stupid day manager, and said he'd pursue in detail. Said Moab has had a bad outbreak coincident with increased international visitors. (At least it hasn't been blamed on the motorized recreation community....yet!)

Contacted a local attorney who deferred but said I should contact a Utah personal injury law firm. Said this is a violation of a variety of health codes, hotel management regulations, etc. We'll see. I'm at least healing up slowly and there's no sign of the bastards in the house or any new bites. Going to have to practice more defensive hotel-ing in the future.

If you're not going to camp in Moab, it will pay you to check some of the bed bug alert websites. In fact, Google "moab bed bugs" and you'll get the scare of your life!

Member #
    Any new info?
    i've got levitation

NRA Certified Instructor - send me a PM about CCP classes

Nasty and foul little bugs! I had never seen a bedbug in my entire life until two years ago while staying in a motel6 in the Seattle area we found one crawling across our daughters beadsheet while watching tv. We were out of that room in the time it took us to throw everything we had back in our suitcases. We demanded our money back and went to another hotel nearby.

I travel a lot for work and have learned what to look for. Never trust a hotel, cleanliness isnt always an indicator. First thing to do when entering a room is to inspect the bedsheets, right were they tuck under the mattress as well as the mattress itself. Also behind the headboard and on the walls as well as any nearby nightstands. What your looking for is the little critters or little brown or black dots. Those would indicate bedbug feces, the blood they drink from people, and were it accumulates is in the areas they typically hide. If you find anything like it you might have bedbugs in that room. ALWAYS do this check before spending the night.
    99 TJ, 4.0L-Auto - 4.5" long Arm's , 33's still on'a turdy five
    http://www.myjeepspace.com/Denlevi

Good advice, and based upon my experience back in October I'll always follow it. Bed bugs are becoming an epidemic, particularly in international travel destinations like Moab. Some of the tips I've picked up, leave your clothes and other items in your vehicle, just take into the room toiletries and whatever clothes you'll need for the night & next day. Hang them in the closet or bathroom. Never put anything besides yourself in or on the bed or furniture. Before you bring anything into the room, do the inspection denlevi suggests and if you find any sign of the little bastards, get the hell out of there.

I got really lucky on this, I didn't bring them back home. A local woman who works for BLM reported that she stayed at the Apache in late October and got 400 bites over a five day stay. They got into her things and infested the BLM vehicle she was assigned, then got into her house. Aside from the cost of exterminating her home, she was not allowed to enter her workplace for two weeks, losing income, etc. Sounds funny, but aside from the bites being about as bad as anything you'll ever experience, these little bastards can be the gift that keeps on giving.

Member #
    Images
    This is some good information. I will check this more closely on our travels.
    03 Rubicon TJ, needs work.
    https://m.facebook.com/ClownsInc

Member #
    What room # were you in?
    "The first time is experience. The second time is stupid."