Member #
    Images

Kingston Peak recovery worked

We got my jeep out thankfully. Thank you for coming out Rob, Dean, Ian, Justin, Bob. There was a lot of rediculus snowbashing, shoveling, and winching to get up the mountain & out of there. I think some of you got pictures of the recovery to post up, to show why not to do what I did.
    If you guys need a hand with something I'll be glad to help.

Member #
    Nice to hear you got some help to get it out! Now on to the pictures!
    92 Cherokee Laredo<br />4.5" Lift, 31x10.50 BFG AT's<br />Rock Rails, Skids, Disconnects<br />4:10 gears, Trac-Lock Rear <br />True Trac Front

Member #
    Images
    Here's a link to the pictures I have, they're mostly from the day I got stuck, just a little snow... yeah right. I didn't get many today. I'm glad to be out of there and have no need to return there any time soon.

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g477/adam274/
    Last edited by Adam274; October 14th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.

I took 51 pics... they're on my Facebook, but I'm at work so I can't link it right now. I'll do it tonight though.
    Life can only be lived fully when it's lived outside of fear. Pain hurts, but the fear of pain paralyzes.

here
    on the drive there.. following ColoradoXJ

Driving up the trail relatively no snow

nice views

still driving

Bash on the left, Liberator on the right, Rob in the middle

ColoradoXJ looking at his tire.. if you look closely you can see the bent rim on the right side of the rim... flattened a tire before we even hit the tuff stuff.

Repairing the first bit of trail damage.. (ColoradoXJ's flat tire/bent rim)

FF33 took a couple runs at this... it was soft and deep.. but he finally cleared a path for us!

Rob's Liberator coming up the long deep soft section..

ColoradoXJ coming up the deep soft line

Liberator getting chained for the recovery of Fishfood

Bash getting chained for the joint recovery opp.

FF33, Rob, ColoradoXJ, stopped getting Liberator and Bash chained up.

Time to do work.. Bash leading the way, and Liberator following we head into the deep stuff to recover Adam.

Bob's my hero.. dude shoveled snow for 800 yds.

Shit's Deep

Looking back at the Liberator (sorry it's fuzzy)

Finally made it down to Fishfood's handiwork.

I drove all the way back up this extremely treacherous trail with waist deep snow, only to find out that they got stuck down in holes that almost got me stuck..

So i turned around to go back down..

After Liberators transfer case broke and i towed him all the way back up that damn scary trail, we arrived to see FF33 and ColoradoXJ set up daisy-chain style with winch to help us get back up the steep section of bellybutton deep snow..

Fishfood on the left, Liberator in the middle and Bash on the right

winching the now 2wd Liberator up the nasty stuff

FF33 set up on top to pull us up

Bash needing a pull

Liberators winch broke, so we fixed it..

Fishfood and the Liberator getting pulled up the last section of deep and steep

and a gnarly tree on the way down.

Good to hear the recovery went well, bummer on the extra carnage though!
    2007 GMC Sierra 3500 LBZ, allison 6 speed,new tow rig
    1984 Chevrolet K30 CC, SRW, Powered By 6BT,NV4500,NP205
    1987 Samurai, MB OM603 Turbo Diesel, MB auto, yotas, YJs, 39.5" IROKs
    2005 Kawaskai Brute Force, Tatou 4s tracks

Member #
    That is great that you guys got him out. I am amazed though that people without winches went out for recovery, not that there are many anchor points out there.

Just saying
    Just another JK Rubicon

Awesome pictures thanks, and the lesson learned from this trip...
    06 LJ Rubicon, 35's, DIY hilines, some rokmen armor, a few others.

and for some added perspective, the red circle is where he was stuck.

Member #
    Images
    WHHOOOOO!!! great job guys, looks like a lot of work but even more fun!
    Greg Neff
    NF Fabrication Fort Collins, CO
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"][URL="http://WWW.NFFAB.COM"]WWW.NFFAB.COM[/URL][/COLOR]
    970-232-9371

FUN!!! Wish i was closer to this to help.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mckinney View Post
    That is great that you guys got him out. I am amazed though that people without winches went out for recovery, not that there are many anchor points out there.

Just saying
    It's interesting though how ROCKET's jeep drove up most of the drifted in trail chained up without a winch. We made good use of the equipment we had.

FF33. I learned that there are a lot of very helpful and good people on here. Also not to go out alone especially in snow without all the required equipment and not to drive down drifted in shelf trails.

Nice!!! Good job!!
    CJ 5 82 - locked Front & REAR 36'' super Swampers- 4.0 fuel injected, 4.56 gears
    8,000 lb winch and a lot of rust holding her together!
    Volunteer for FEAT- Ready to roll!!
    WWW.ROCKZOMBIEOUTLAWS.COM

without winches

Just saying
    I fully understand your viewpoint on this... but when we were originally told about this we were under the impression that w just needed to drive him up to the ridge (easy drive no danger) then help him shovel... so we did that, then saw where he was and what it would take and made an on-the-spot decision to take 2 most heavily equipped vehicles (only one with winch since the ONLY place to hook up was each other) down to get him, while the rest of the SAR party was equipped with shovels to clear a path/spot/stack rocks/whatever else.

we tried to find anything else to winch to, and came up empty handed every time. So 2 rigs had to go in after him.. and only one winch would have been practicable in the situation.

we chose to set up 2 vehicles at the top (where we knew we'd have the most trouble (very steep very deep)) daisy chained with winch to help us get out the last section.

Our on-the-spot decision was in part motivated by the fantastic weather we had that day and the knowledge of storms coming soon and with even 1" more snow recovery would be impossible till next summer.

We appreciate your concern. However, all people make mistakes and we had an opportunity to help a guy out so that his mistake didn't cost him his life or an expensive rig.

Nice job with the shovel Bob!!!!!!!
    www.psychoneurosisracing.com

Member #

Just saying
    Maybe I just went to lend a shovelling hand...

As Rocket said... Leaving my rig (as an anchor) and a rig with a winch up top worked out well. Had I not taken my non-winch equipped rig up there, who knows how that last climb would have worked out.

So "mr. winchless rigs shouldn't be there"... where were you?
    Please consider contributing towards my Summit for Someone effort, benefiting at-risk urban youth.
    http://www.summitforsomeone.org/donate?page=4&climber=8574
    AND... don't forget to Stay The Trail.

Nice work guys! Our recovery on Bill Moore did not go as smooth last year. We didn't get half way and by that time it was 3 pm so we turned around and called it. They ended up getting to the stranded vehicles with a snow cat.
    Timing is everything!
    www.rockzombieoutlaws.com

FF33, i found your D-ring. I found it under my drivers seat... my bad I told you to look passenger side. haha i knew i saw it in there!

let's find a time to get it back to its rightful owner!

Member #
    My pics:

Last edited by ColoradoXJ; October 15th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R0CKET View Post
    FF33, i found your D-ring. I found it under my drivers seat... my bad I told you to look passenger side. haha i knew i saw it in there!

let's find a time to get it back to its rightful owner!
    Awesome but I'm not to worried about, think I might be running Spring Creek next Saturday with a couple other tacos if you want to come up for that or if not we can figure something out, thanks. And I got that winch line out, used the torch and some manual pump hydraulic spreaders/cutters we have at the firehouse and just cut away until it came loose, it was even more fubar then we could see, now to save up for a synthetic line.
    Last edited by ff33; October 15th, 2010 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ff33 View Post
    Awesome but I'm not to worried about, think I might be running Spring Creek next Saturday with a couple other tacos if you want to come up for that or if not we can figure something out, thanks. And I got that winch line out, used the torch and some manual pump hydraulic spreaders/cutters we have at the firehouse and just cut away until it came loose, it was even more fubar then we could see, now to save up for a synthetic line.
    i'm in for Spring Creek!!

ohh the cutters and spreaders!! man i miss those.. i can't wait to get a legit FF job out here!

Member #
    Images
    I thought ColoradoXJ had one of those new easy to use invisible winches, something seemed off with that bumper.

i'm in for Spring Creek!!

ohh the cutters and spreaders!! man i miss those.. i can't wait to get a legit FF job out here!
    Sounds good once I know more details I will let you know.

Member #
    Images
    maybe im blind..

but didnt see any pics that were "bellybutton deep" deepest i can see is maybe knee.

great job on getting him out though guys!!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JimhatTJ View Post
    maybe im blind..

but didnt see any pics that were "bellybutton deep" deepest i can see is maybe knee.

ouch I got some snow in my bellybutton.

Quote Originally Posted by JimhatTJ View Post
    maybe im blind..

we didn't take pics of every section we went thru. also i'm 5'6"

How did you break the transfer case on the Liberty? Doesn't it have that NP241, which is supposed to be pretty tough from what I have heard. What did it in?
    1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Custom long-arm suspension, +8" wheelbase
    37" Super Swamper IROKs
    Currie shaved Ford 9" rear-end

Good job guys. One hell of a spot to be stuck. Glad you got it out. If I wasn't at work I woulda helped out.
    74 bronco in pieces
    2002 PSD
    79 Bronco built bigblock and 37s
    " EVERYTHINGS TIGHT WHEN YOUR FULLSIZE "

and a gnarly tree on the way down.
    [/QUOTE]

That is one gnarly tree
    ***2000 XJ 4.5" ***2006 Cummins***
    Quitters never win. Winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are friggen idiots.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ View Post
    Maybe I just went to lend a shovelling hand...

As Rocket said... Leaving my rig (as an anchor) and a rig with a winch up top worked out well. Had I not taken my non-winch equipped rig up there, who knows how that last climb would have worked out.

So "mr. winchless rigs shouldn't be there"... where were you?
    I had to work Try not to take offence to something you might call out on photo's. I just hate to see more people get into a situation than the person already there.
    WE have all done things we know we should not have.
    Like I had said before, that is great you guys got him out.

Quote Originally Posted by mistaT View Post
    How did you break the transfer case on the Liberty? Doesn't it have that NP241, which is supposed to be pretty tough from what I have heard. What did it in?
    i dunno.. he's out of town and i'm house sitting for him.. he took the other vehicle so the Liberator is sitting in the driveway.. i'll tear into it tomorrow and trouble shoot it

when the call for help goes out in the middle of oct, on a weekday. these 5 guys show up with 4 rigs and enough gear to get the job done, and done withday light to burn.someone shows up to help are you going to send them home because they don't have xxxxxxxxxxxx?
    Bostonbob- cj5 2 headlights, 2 taillights, sh!t in between

i dunno.. he's out of town and i'm house sitting for him.. he took the other vehicle so the Liberator is sitting in the driveway.. i'll tear into it tomorrow and trouble shoot it
    cancel that. i'm going run spring creek tomorrow. i'll tear into it sunday.

anyone wanna run spring creek tomorrow?

Awesom work guys! But why didn't you just flag down that CH-47 to fly him out?
    1980 Toyota....I scratched the paint!

Member #
    I had to work Try not to take offence to something you might call out on photo's. I just hate to see more people get into a situation than the person already there.
    WE have all done things we know we should not have.
    Like I had said before, that is great you guys got him out.
    No worries, and no offence taken. Trust me, we discussed any changes in terrain that might present a problem, and figured out game plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boyle View Post
    Awesom work guys! But why didn't you just flag down that CH-47 to fly him out?
    I was thinking that exact same thing!!!

Member #
    Images
    I thought you guy were joking about the helicopter I didn't see it.

ROCKET let me know what happened to the liberator maybe I can help fix it.

Glad the recovery worked out!
    Don't take life to serious...you'll never make it out alive!