Member #

Dealers and emission testing

Just asking the question:

Do auto dealers selling new and used cars need to have performed an emissions test prior to selling the vehicle? Including diesels?

Bought 06' diesel and to get it registered, I needed emissions test done. I looked for the emission paperwork and without finding it, made the phone call to the dealer only to find out that they did not perform it. I thought, that a dealer must have an emissions completed before the sale of a vehicle. Private party sales would be excluded from this.
    I was told to get the test done and bring in the receipt for reimbursment.
    What if the truck or any vehicle could not pass inspection for what ever reason?
    2006 Rubicon w/ 2.5" Skyjacker lift.
    33x12.50 BFG's JKS Disco's
    9.5k Warn Power Plant winch.
    CB Radio FRS/GMRS Handheld

IIRC, yes, they have to provide a vaild emissions test.
    Help support our 2013 St Baldricks Team and help kick childrens cancer, even a little bit helps!

Donate here: http://www.stbaldricks.org/teams/mypage/81087/2013

Depends on the county. If you are in a basic testing area (as opposed to enhanced), they may not. Weld County I'm for sure doesn't right now, although that will probably change soon.
    "Someone else says the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and drank whiskey and played poker with the locals until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead." ---'98 XJ, 2" lift, all open, 31's.

Member #
    Images
    Dealer has to either provide an emissions test or an emission coupon for you. If they give you a coupon you have two days to get it done.

Ask them for a coupon, or if its diesel ask them to pay to have it done. It shouldn't be a problem
    The Car Guy

When I bought my '03 the dealer wrote me a check for $55 which did not cover the time it took me
    -Scott
    http://www.photosbysjs.com
    http://www.rmecc.com

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REDROOB View Post
    I thought, that a dealer must have an emissions completed before the sale of a vehicle. Private party sales would be excluded from this.
    You're correct about the dealer part, but not about the private party part. Any seller is responsible for a valid emisisons test. Private parties are not exempt.
    Why is it that common sense isn't so common anymore?

Member #
    Images
    Anytime you buy a car (anywhere in Colorado) if the buyer lives in a county where emissions is required the vehicle must be able to pass the test. if it does not the law says the seller must make repairs for the vehicle to pass or refund the purchase. And you only have 3 business days to have the test done.

Getting this to happen ain't easy sometimes, as you have to have it enforced in civil court, if it goes that way. Dealers are supposed to provide the e-test at no charge to you. I always get the test done before finalizing the sell and taking delivery.

Even with the law it is buyer beware.
    03 Rubicon - Locked & Loaded
    Colorado Off Road
    4x4Trails.net

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    Anytime you buy a car (anywhere in Colorado) if the buyer lives in a county where emissions is required the vehicle must be able to pass the test. if it does not the law says the seller must make repairs for the vehicle to pass or refund the purchase. And you only have 3 business days to have the test done.

Getting this to happen ain't easy sometimes, as you have to have it enforced in civil court, if it goes that way. Dealers are supposed to provide the e-test at no charge to you. I always get the test done before finalizing the sell and taking delivery.

Even with the law it is buyer beware.
    You only have 3 days after you purchase the vehicle to have the test done or you are S-O-L if it doesn't pass???

Member #
    Images
    Colorado Springs does not do emission testing. They are not required to perform a test or provide proof of one. In counties that they do require it, I imagine it's common practice to make sure the vehicle will pass prior to sale.
    "Those who stir the chit pot should have to lick the spoon."

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryokeeXJ View Post
    Colorado Springs does not do emission testing. They are not required to perform a test or provide proof of one.
    Nope, not true. If you live in, say, Denver and go to COS to buy a vehicle, the dealer DOES have to do an emission test before selliing it to you. The law is pretty clear about that. As CSP noted that same law applies to private party sales.

I called and asked a question about this several months ago. I asked if I sold a vehicle to a person in Denver if I had to, by law, have it emission tested. The answer was yes. Not pay for it. Not provide a coupon. Have it tested, and pass.

The kicker is that there is nowhere within 250 miles of here to have an emission test done. Catch-22.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Nope, not true. If you live in, say, Denver and go to COS to buy a vehicle, the dealer DOES have to do an emission test before selliing it to you. The law is pretty clear about that. As CSP noted that same law applies to private party sales.

I called and asked a question about this several months ago. I asked if I sold a vehicle to a person in Denver if I had to, by law, have it emission tested. The answer was yes. Not pay for it. Not provide a coupon. Have it tested, and pass.

The kicker is that there is nowhere within 250 miles of here to have an emission test done. Catch-22.
    So....that's true even if you're a private party selling a car? Seems to me it'd be "buyer beware" in the instance of private party sales. If the person wants to know if it'll pass emissions, that's where they can take it on their test drive.....250 miles away.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryokeeXJ View Post
    So....that's true even if you're a private party selling a car?
    Yup. That's why I called them to ask. If you sell a car to someone in an emission testing county, the seller must have it emission tested, and pass, prior to selling it. Period. No exemption for private party sellers or dealers outside emission testing counties. When I mentioned that I'd have to drive 250 miles to have it tested the underlying answer was "too bad."

Member #
    Images
    CoS does require emissions for a diesel, BTW.

Member #
    Yes, COS requires diesel e-tests. Even those VW TDI's have to be tested.
    1975 K10 long bed. Ugly and rusted!