Member #

Pinzgauer worth it or no?

I discovered a Pinzgauer in Texas earlier this week (I live in Colorado just visiting friends). I believe the model is a 710m? Soft top 4x4. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I might be buying it (trading a project for it plus cash). I drove it seems smooth i got it to about 70 ish seemed fine. Everything works on it. My main question is any little quirks to look for on one of these? Anything HUGE problems to look out for. It is a 75 with 164k miles. Seems high he did have the drivetrain rebuilt 18k or so ago. He does have receipts. He is the owner for 15 years. One main thing wrong was the top has some leaks... is that a pain to find a new one? Anyhelp is appreciated. Oh and he wants 15k without my trade. with it I am giving him 3k out of my pocket. Worth it? Thanks. (couldnt find much on search)

Pinz

Do your homework. A lot of Pinzies have been imported illegally, conficated and crushed.
    Quote from a dealer:

LEGAL PINZGAUERS ARE 25 YEARS OLD OR OLDER AT THE TIME OF IMPORTATION. LEGAL PINZGAUER VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS SHOULD BE 7 DIGITS LONG AND SHOULD START WITH EITHER 575 FOR 4X4 OR 475 FOR 6X6. THE INFO ON THE DATA PLATE SHOULD BE HAND/OR DIE STAMPED, NOT PRINTED WITH PAINT OR INK. THE DATA PLATE SHOULD LOOK 25 YEARS OLD. IF THE WIRING HARNESS IS SHEATHED IN BLACK AND/OR HAS BLACK CONNECTORS, THIS COULD INDICATE A 'NEWER THAN LEGAL' PINZGAUER.
    EVEN IF YOURS DOES NOT MATCH ANY OF THESE PARAMETERS, YOU MAY STILL HAVE A VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM ON YOUR HANDS!! APART FROM CONFISCATION AND SUMMARY DEMOLITION OF YOUR PINZGAUER BY FEDERAL AND/OR STATE AUTHORITIES... SHOULD YOU BE INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT, YOU COULD VERY WELL FIND THAT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY CAN, AND VERY LIKELY WILL, WITHDRAW COVERAGE IF YOUR VEHICLE IS BEING OPERATED ON US ROADWAYS FRAUDULENTLY... FRAUD NULLIFIES THE VERACITY OF ANY AND ALL STATE AND/OR FEDERAL DOCUMENTATION CONCERNING A VEHICLE'S LEGAL STATUS FOR ON-ROAD USE!!! IF THE FECAL MATTER COMES INTO CONTACT WITH THE AIR MOVEMENT DEVICE... YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DEPEND UPON STATE OR FEDERALLY ISSUED DOCUMENTATION ALONE!!! YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO 'PASS THE BUCK' OF RESPONSIBILITY ON TO ANY GOVERNMENTAL AGENCY!!! IS IT WORTH RISKING EVERYTHING THAT YOU CURRENTLY AND POTENTIALLY EVER WILL OWN???

Source: http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/
    '08 WK

Member #
    Damn I'm suprised it's even worth three grand. IDK man I see them here in colorado quite a bit and I really doubt I've seen one worth 15 grand???? Offer him three or buy one locally

I wheel with a guy who has one, never been impressed and it's always got problems.
    America, land without a president as of 1-20-09 R.I.P.

Member #
    Thank you Mosefer I didnt even know about that company. And nismofreak some of the better ones seem to be around that price ive seen some cheap ones but I dont know enough about them or the time to restore one. Ive seen one awesome gold one around but not many since. Anyone know anyone on the boards that has one?? Thanks for responses guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ReNooB View Post
    Thank you Mosefer I didnt even know about that company. And nismofreak some of the better ones seem to be around that price ive seen some cheap ones but I dont know enough about them or the time to restore one. Ive seen one awesome gold one around but not many since. Anyone know anyone on the boards that has one?? Thanks for responses guys.
    Check this site:

http://www.rmpinzgauers.org/

Question is what do you want it for. If you want to take it crawling you can buy a SWEET buggy for that $. If its for touring around and having some fun wheel'n but nothing too hardcore might be a fun truck, Same thing though, you can buy a nice full size of expedition stlye truck for the same dough right now. I'd research it further before I bought. Its a buyers market even if your heart is set on a Pinz you will no doubt be able to find a nicer one for cheaper, closer to home.
    yeah i did it

Did you check CL?

There are plenty here in town for sale that I would buy before buying a pinz with 164K on it.

They are fun truck's. I enjoy my pinz more than i enjoyed my jeep.

Those things are so sweet. Maybe not the most practical or best off-road, but definitely cooler than just about anything out there. I'm sure it's one of those vehicles that you can't take anywhere without somebody striking up a conversation about it.
    Last edited by _CJ; June 28th, 2010 at 08:25 AM.

Member #
    I want it for some wheeling as well as trips ( I raft, rock climb mountain bike or at least i try to). I am not paying full price for it I have a pile of parts that were going to be a buggy just got in over my head at the moment so I would trade him my project and it would ultimately cost me 3500. And i would love to drive it everyday instead of my current ride. That would be awesome apparently they are reliable. And thanks for link!

I was going to get a 710M, but the 11 mpg worried me. Coldwarremarketing has lots of upgrade parts and connections for good service and repair.

Quote Originally Posted by mosefer View Post
    I was going to get a 710M, but the 11 mpg worried me. Coldwarremarketing has lots of upgrade parts and connections for good service and repair.
    Ouch!! mine gets around 15mpg city-18mpg highway when carbs are tuned just right.

ReNoob- Daily driving the pinz in the summer is a blast. Not so much in the winter. Its cold as hell. Also, The pinz can run 70 mph but i recommend 62 mph. The drivetrain was not designed to handle 70mph.

Quote Originally Posted by KINSPINZ View Post
    Ouch!! mine gets around 15mpg city-18mpg highway when carbs are tuned just right.

ReNoob- Daily driving the pinz in the summer is a blast. Not so much in the winter. Its cold as hell. Also, The pinz can run 70 mph but i recommend 62 mph. The drivetrain was not designed to handle 70mph.
    There is a gas powered auxiliary heater for them

Quote Originally Posted by mosefer View Post
    There is a gas powered auxiliary heater for them
    I would love a webasto.

These are one of those "if I just gotta have it, it's OK" deals. Certainly wouldn't be without issues, but will definitely make a statement. Local tour outfits have a lot of them, and since it was a military personnel carrier to begin with they're probably well suited. I'd rather see one of them on the trails than an H1 going the opposite way. A buddy with a wine business in Napa, CA bought one a number of years ago to use for winery tours. GAve up on it after a couple seasons due to incessant breakdowns. Bear in mind, he's the kind of guy who could break an anvil, too, so...

I've always wondered about the certification issues on these, or how they get into the USA, licensed & titled in the first place. I'd be wary if one had to pass any kind of State inspection for emissions or safety, etc. You might end up with an expensive chicken coop.

I have owned a Pinz 710M for two years now. It has been nothing but a wonderful and very reliable vehicle. It gets 15MPG and so far seems to be able to go anywhere I ask it. I have used it as a daily driver for most of the time I have owned it.
    They do "feel" different while wheeling. Mostly because you sit over the front wheels and they are stiff. It is normal to have 1 and sometimes 2 wheels in the air on some obstacles. It takes some getting used to. They feel high centered, but I have had mine on some pretty "tippy" places and it never fell over.
    I recommend them, they are good machines.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KINSPINZ View Post
    I would love a webasto.
    Are you diesel? I have a couple of old 24v webastos that I never figured out. If you make me a control box for one, you can have the other.

Best,
    Bob
    Making progress on the big build.

Quote Originally Posted by Trango View Post
    Are you diesel? I have a couple of old 24v webastos that I never figured out. If you make me a control box for one, you can have the other.

Best,
    Bob
    Hi Bob,
    No my pinz is not diesel. I would use a small seperate fuel cell for the diesel.

Let me look into the control box and get back to you. Thats a pretty good deal.