Rifle Scope Recommendation

I am wanting to upgrade my scope, currently using a 3-9x40 Simmons on a 7mag. My eye sight is not the best and I do alot of long range shooting,things like antelope and plains deer. Anyone have some suggestions on a good high powered scope that can make things a little clearer at long range that wont cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks
    Last edited by JKO9; June 2nd, 2010 at 02:37 PM.

Member #
    Images
    I was in the exact same situation a few years ago. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse here and spent a while with the salesman looking at a lot of them. I ended up getting a Burris 4.5 x 14. Excellent optics and great in low light.

I think it was around $300 or so, which wasn't too bad.

Member #
    Images
    Nightforce, Leupold, Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss

of course those all start around 1k, and are good for 1k+ meters
    [I]"I'm not just sure Butters, I'm HIV Positive"[/I]
    Eric Cartman
    [I]"I have a chief of staff and a personal assistant, and everyone needs that."[/I]
    Michelle Obama

I would suggest going to Sportsmans Warehouse and just start talking to the guys behind the counter. I like to go towards dusk so I can take the scope outside and see how well it works in low light situations. You don't need a thousand dollar scope for most activities, that is just nuts. What I ended up with was a 3-9x40mm Nikon but since you want something with a bit more power your best bet is to start checking them out at stores. Also Rocky Mountain Shooter Supply in Fort Collins has a very nice selection of optics.

In general fixed power is going to be cheaper and clearer than adjustable, just FYI.

-E
    The criminally insane and the brainwashed fundamentalists will always find ways to attack and kill groups of people, regardless of the method. Guns are not the problem, guns are what allow the rest of us to resist them.

just curious, I have seen a few scopes on friends rifles where he can dial in yardage and the scope adjusts. I am assuming those are pretty pricey. The Burris posted earlier looks pretty sharp

I'm very happy with the Nikon Pro Staff 3-9 x 40 variable that I got. Has a nice bullet-drop reticle. I am also an antelope hunter and it's been very good for me. Cost was under $200.
    Martin (AKA Zapp Branigan) KillBot (Retired)
    "I am the Man With No Name - Zapp Branigan!"
    2007 4Runner SR5, 4.0 Wife's vehicle: 95 YJ, 4 cyl, 5 speed STOCK!
    DD: 96 Mazda B2300 4x2, Fun Ride: 02 BMW R1150R

Member #
    Pentax scope
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PENTAX+-...5513&st=pentax scope&cp=1&lp=2

Pentax scope and Bino package
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PENTAX+-...5648&st=pentax scope&cp=1&lp=1

Internet sales only

Lifetime warranty on both items

Member #
    Swift or Nikon in terms of bang for the buck. I have a 1.5-4.5x32 Swift and it is as bright and clear as scopes costing 10x as much. The next step up IMHO would be Burris.

I think Burris has an outlet at their plant in Greeley, which could definitely bring them into the bang-for-the-buck category too.
    President, CO Chapter TTORA
    Check out www.ttora.com, and www.yotatech.com to 'wheel with great Toyota folks!
    1993 Toyota 4Runner with some armor, lockers, dual cases and stuff ...
    Stop with the mods and get on the trail!

Member #
    Images
    I am very happy with my Mueller scopes.
    Have you ever seen a man eat so much fish?

I'm partial to Leupold and Burris. I also like a 50mm objective for field of view and they gather a lot of light and I usually get the paralax adjustment. Bushinell Elite are also good for the money. You get what you pay for in optics of any kind. Make sure you look at several different reticles also....lots of choices. The Simmons the OP has now is also a decent scope depending on model...I have a couple of their scopes and have no complaints.....but they're also on low recoil rifles. With your 7mm, that is a consideration.
    "God created man...Sam Colt made him equal"

Member #
    I am a Burrris man, all the way. I am almost done converting all to Burris. I have gotten rid of Simmons, Tasco, Bushnell and Leupold. The bigger objective will help with light gathering, as previously stated.

Optics are like guns, everyone will have their own preferences. Look through different ones and see what you like the best. Ask to take them out the door. Looking through a scope in the store does not give you the perspective you are looking for.

Colorado optics at Rocky Mountain Shooters Supply is a good place to look. They carry good brands and have blems and repairs for a lower cost.

Member #
    There plenty of opinions out there about how much magnification is needed but more isn't always better.
    Issues with high fixed magnification or zoom:
    -a smaller field of view, meaning harder to locate the target (unless you don't mind running the zoom in and out on a variable - or lots of scanning in a fixed)
    -mirage effect on hot days, this makes it difficult to use a high power zoom setting (means running lower zoom on a variable or stuck with a blurry view with fixed).

My long range rifle has a 3-15x50 and works fine out 1000+ yds. Most of the guys that I know shooting long range use variable power, generally no more than 25x, and most of the time they run them at much lower zoom settings (exception - 1000 yd benchrest competition generally use high power fixed - 32x and up).

You mentioned "adjustable" settings. Obviously all scopes can be adjusted for windage and elevation but I assume are referering to finger adjustable or "target" knobs so that it can be done easily in the field. Plenty of lower end scopes offer these ( generally anything with the word "tactical" but expect to pay a bit more for no good reason). If you want this feature pay a bit more to get good quality so any changes are repeatable and accurate.
    A good reticle with ballistic specific holdover marks or a mildot style can be just as useful (or more so) when hunting and you don't have the time to twist the knobs to make a shot.

There is also "adjustable objective" or "parallax" adjustment, if you shoot over varied distances this can make a big difference over a scope with a "fixed" parallax. Read more here

Nikon makes a great scope, the Bushnell Elite 4200 are popular but I would say take a look at Vortex.
    They have something for every price range with the features you want, a great warranty and very good to awesome optical quality. (not sure about local vendors but check them out at Liberty Optics call Scott@Liberty for the best prices )
    Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere,
    and sometimes in the middle of nowhere ...
    you find yourself

Quote Originally Posted by CruiserAbuser View Post
    There plenty of opinions out there about how much magnification is needed but more isn't always better.
    Issues with high fixed magnification or zoom:
    -a smaller field of view, meaning harder to locate the target (unless you don't mind running the zoom in and out on a variable - or lots of scanning in a fixed)
    -mirage effect on hot days, this makes it difficult to use a high power zoom setting (means running lower zoom on a variable or stuck with a blurry view with fixed).

My long range rifle has a 3-15x50 and works fine out 1000+ yds. Most of the guys that I know shooting long range use variable power, generally no more than 25x, and most of the time they run them at much lower zoom settings (exception - 1000 yd benchrest competition generally use high power fixed - 32x and up).

You mentioned "adjustable" settings. Obviously all scopes can be adjusted for windage and elevation but I assume are referering to finger adjustable or "target" knobs so that it can be done easily in the field. Plenty of lower end scopes offer these ( generally anything with the word "tactical" but expect to pay a bit more for no good reason). If you want this feature pay a bit more to get good quality so any changes are repeatable and accurate.
    A good reticle with ballistic specific holdover marks or a mildot style can be just as useful (or more so) when hunting and you don't have the time to twist the knobs to make a shot.

There is also "adjustable objective" or "parallax" adjustment, if you shoot over varied distances this can make a big difference over a scope with a "fixed" parallax. Read more here

Nikon makes a great scope, the Bushnell Elite 4200 are popular but I would say take a look at Vortex.
    They have something for every price range with the features you want, a great warranty and very good to awesome optical quality. (not sure about local vendors but check them out at Liberty Optics call Scott@Liberty for the best prices )
    Well said! The "mirage effect" in my experiance is less with the higher end scopes. I have a Burris 6.5X24X50 on my 220 Swift and don't have the problem at all on 24 power.....unless it's a really hot day. I don't have anything with more magnification than 24 power. For my .300 WIN mag I have a 3X9X50 Burris and have never needed anything else for that rifle. (which is comparable to the OP's 7mm) And X a bazillion on Vortex. My dad bought a pair of their bino's (10X42) and I'm really impressed.....I will be looking at their scopes.

Member #
    Burris and Nikon both make some excellent, "budget" scopes at or slightly under 300 dollars(which IMO, is the minimum your going to pay for a GOOD scope). Im also partial to Bushnells 3200 or 4200 Elite series of scopes which can get a little pricey depending on the model but are fantastic scopes. Leupold, Zeiss and other higher dollar scope makers are nice but you pay an ultra premium price for very little to no advantage over any of the above mentioned ones. Stay FAR away from the cheaper Leupolds...ive destroyed a couple of them and they are pure and utter crap compared to their more expensive offerings.

Id stick with a 3-9x40 for your 7MM. It can leave a lot to be desired in a dedicated target gun, but for a hunting rig, its probably the best compromise in long and short range capabilities.
    Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot
    Caught My Eye Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I was WRONG!

Member #
    Images
    I have a 50s model K10 Weaver. It is a 10X fixed with parallax adjustment. It is on my 270, and I have hunted all over the country and love it. the double crosshairs are wonderful.