Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires

I'm about at the point for new tires, and my last 2 sets have been the BFG AT's. I want something more rugged looking. The ideal would be the MTR Kevlars, but I can't rationalize spending that much. My jeep is my daily driver but I hammer it out on the trails. I like the Wrangler DuraTracs, but can't find a final verdict on them. Every forum and review i read talks about how great in snow they are. Thats good, but I need to know what they are like in true off road situations... Rocks, aired down, scraping boulders and branches. I heard in one place that they thought the sidewalls were really week, but he didn't have an actuall experience on the trail with them, just his opinion. So who has run these tires out on the trail and what you think? I'll be going with 33x12.50 if that matters to anyone.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RegisOffRoader View Post
    I'm about at the point for new tires, and my last 2 sets have been the BFG AT's. I want something more rugged looking. The ideal would be the MTR Kevlars, but I can't rationalize spending that much. My jeep is my daily driver but I hammer it out on the trails. I like the Wrangler DuraTracs, but can't find a final verdict on them. Every forum and review i read talks about how great in snow they are. Thats good, but I need to know what they are like in true off road situations... Rocks, aired down, scraping boulders and branches. I heard in one place that they thought the sidewalls were really week, but he didn't have an actuall experience on the trail with them, just his opinion. So who has run these tires out on the trail and what you think? I'll be going with 33x12.50 if that matters to anyone.
    Rarely see them on the trial if that tells you anything....lot of pro's and cons on the new MTR's.....Good feedback on the KM2's...

Member #
    KM2's are about the best thing around for the "weekend warrior" types.

Good mileage if you keep them inflated and rotated properly, mild street manners and GREAT offroad.
    Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot
    Caught My Eye Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I was WRONG!

I run a set of 285/75-16 Wrangler DuraTrac's (equivalent to 33's) on my Cummins-powered Ram 2500 which weighs 7600lbs empty with a 310lb front bumper with winch. I drive it to my cabin every weekend, 26 miles over a barely passable mountain 2-track road that is rougher, in most places, than the mining roads of the San Juan mountains of Southwestern Colorado. I've had them on since August and put over 12,000 road-miles on them in addition to the weekend excursions and they have been GREAT! I've only had to rotate and balance them and have never had a puncture, tear, or any other failure. Just so you know, I also own 4 Jeeps, variously equipped, one of them a built '01 TJ dedicated rockcrawler, so I know what you're looking for from a tire. I would highly recommend them for everything short of extreme rockcrawling as long as you're not looking for a long-wearing tire. I don't expect more than 30,000 miles out of them because of the rough wear I put them through. Otherwise, I think you'd be happy with them.
    Last edited by toughtoy4x4; April 29th, 2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Add'l info

ive run 33s on my duramax for the past 6 months and they are a great tire! quiet on the street and real bite off road including the snow! very comfortable even while towing. i would recommend them to everyone.
    V-8 TJ-Buggy 105"WB, RockJock 60s, 17" TrailReady Double Beadlocks, 40" Creepy Crawler Stickies, Atlas II 4.3 etc...
    05 Chevrolet 2500HD LT Duramax, AFE Stage II, MBRP 5" exhaust, EFI Live
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 6.1 HEMI

Member #
    I have the Duratracs in 315/70/17 on my JK wrangler. Awesome winter tire. Winter driving was uneventful and that's a great compliment in a Jeep. Got them in December so I really haven't had them in much dirt and rocks.

When I bought, I was between the Duratrac, KM2, and MT/R w/Kevlar. I got the Duratrac for winter performance and I was concerned about road noise with the other two.

They're pretty aggressive. If you're on the fence, you need to see them in person.
    Last edited by cfr; April 29th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.

Member #
    Images
    I had the BFG AT's and recently switched to the duratracs. Couldn't have been happier, pretty good on the street and ran ironclads and bunce with them and was happy with how they performed.
    99 XJ 5.5" RE LA, 4.11's, 33" TRX's, Ohana Fab sliders and some other stuff.
    -----------------------------------------------
    92 XJ 6" Rusty's lift, 4.56's, 35" MT's, locked, sliders, Flatiron Fab tube doors and rear bumper, Iron Scorpion front winch bumper etc.

Member #
    Images
    I have run several sets of KM's and KM 2's, and consider myself a BFG fan. So I was surpised to find that the duratrac's are an all around better peforming tire than a true mud terain like the KM. Mud snow and highway I prefer the duratrac's now. Less expensive too! Will be getting them for my next truck tires again.

i recommend the KM2 but the KM2s back ordered right now been on a waiting list for the past month and a half when i ordered them they told me 6-8 weeks and just the other day they said 6-8 weeks so... they keep trying to sell me the duratracks but im set on km2's so i guess ill wait but from what i hear they're a good all around tire

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RegisOffRoader View Post
    We have been running the DuraTracs on our JK for a year now. We have put them to the test in Moab and in the snow. They have been great in all conditions. They have a great grip on the rocks with very little to no slipping. It has been one year now and they are still in great condition. We will be heading to Moab to give them another work out May 27-31 Memoral Weekend. You are welcome to join us on the trip and you can see how well they do. We have been very happy with the tires thus far and will probly buy them again when it is time for new ones.
    Last edited by Mantaray; April 30th, 2010 at 02:22 AM.

I love my DuraTracs. Seriously the best tire I have owned for street and occasional offroad use and man are they kick ass on Ice and Snow. I also haven't noticed an weird tire wear and they ride really nice.