How does one get rid of an old tractor trailer?

We have a old semi tractor trailer here at work that we used for storage. It's been replaced by a cargo container (conex) so we don't have to climb into the trailer. Now we need to get rid of the old trailer, but are apparently having a difficult time doing so. Our shop manager has been tasked with this but he's failing at it and says he can't find a way. I thought I'd see what the collective genious on CO4X4 has to say, because I figure it can't be that difficult.

Apparently the problem is it's so old it doesn't have title, or plates and is not likely road worthy. No one will take it without those things. Getting title/plates will likely be a PITA. It's got to be worth something just in scrap, or someone could use it like we've been, for storage. Any suggestions?
    Murray's Toys: 76 FJ40, 07 KTM 450EXC, 97 KTM 300EXC (Son's), 05 Suzuki SV1000S, 04 Specialized Epic, 06 K2 Public Enemies

I got your Jeep thing....now it burns when I pee

Member #
    Scrap it. Buy beer for the shop.
    Please consider contributing towards my Summit for Someone effort, benefiting at-risk urban youth.
    http://www.summitforsomeone.org/donate?page=4&climber=8574
    AND... don't forget to Stay The Trail.

Hitch it to an F150 and wait for Mexicans to steal it?

(I keed)

-E
    The criminally insane and the brainwashed fundamentalists will always find ways to attack and kill groups of people, regardless of the method. Guns are not the problem, guns are what allow the rest of us to resist them.

Member #
    Images
    Get a tourch, and a way to haul the stuff to scrap. Cut up and haul off. Keep the money.

Go to the DMV and tell them you need plates for a home made trailer.

how long is it i may know a guy that would want it and haul it away on a lowboy

It's a standard semi trailer box style, what are those, 40 feet? Chopping it up would be way more labor intensive than we'd want to undertake.

Member #
    I've never had anything that I posted on Craigslist for free that didn't go away.

^ I was going to suggest Craigslist!
    1980 Toyota....I scratched the paint!

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ashton View Post
    I've never had anything that I posted on Craigslist for free that didn't go away.

I told Nick the other night that we should post free burnt out light bulbs on craigslist, and even tell people that they don't work anymore. It would be purely for laughs because I'm positive someone would take them. People on that site will take ANYTHING just because it's free.
    "Those who stir the chit pot should have to lick the spoon."

Member #
    Oddly, my dad couldn't give away a working fridge on Craigslist. The only caveat was that he didn't have a truck, so whoever took it had to get it out of his garage. It apparently wasn't worth the effort--for more than a week, nobody came to get it. He really wanted it gone.

In a stroke of (sarcastic) brilliance, I suggested that he repost it on Craigslist, slightly differently.

Free beer. One six-pack. Cold. In working fridge. Must take whole fridge with beer.

Gone in hours.
    Rockstomper.com

Thanks to: United Four Wheel Drive Associations and Stay the Trail Colorado, for their support of us and the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by CherryokeeXJ View Post

I told Nick the other night that we should post free burnt out light bulbs on craigslist, and even tell people that they don't work anymore. It would be purely for laughs because I'm positive someone would take them. People on that site will take ANYTHING just because it's free.
    Post it! Tell 'em that they should work fine with just a little repair work...
    ☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌ 
    / \ Copy and paste him
    Jim - www.yuccaman.com - '04 LJ Unlimited

Awesome....free beer, comes with free 40' trailer, must take trailer... should work like a champ. I'm sure we'd prefer to get at least a few bucks for it, but at this point I'm guessing if someone would just take it away we'd be happy. Apparently it's the "taking it away" part that is the problem since it apparently can't be towed w/o a plate.

Member #
    Images
    We could probably use it out at CORE, but dont have a tractor to move it with..
    Tired of being tired.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    --Robert Heinlein

PROUD PARENT OF A UNITED STATES MARINE!!! Sleep Well America, My Marine Has Got Your Back... Proud Parent of a Sailor, in the United States Navy.......

Lunatic? just call me the duece

Member #
    X2...

If you dont want to deal with disposing of it, CL is the easiest option.
    Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot
    Caught My Eye Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I was WRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
    Any volunteers with a tractor? We don't have one either.

Member #
    Images
    dont get in to big of a hurry there, Let me ask Carl if he wants it out there, if so then maybe we can find somebody that will haul it.

Quote Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
    just use your truck clyde
    87yj No drivetrain 235's 2" BL HP D60
    99 Dodge 2500 CTD with a lot of go fast goodies
    69 Camaro, 03 Kaw. Ninja ZX-6R

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    ..... Apparently it's the "taking it away" part that is the problem since it apparently can't be towed w/o a plate.
    Ummm, it's kinda like speeding.....It's only illegal if you get caught. I've driven with expired tags, no tags (after a purchase), and currently some improperly displayed tags, and none of my trucks (3) currently have a front tag. --- all this falls into the "not supposed to" category.

If it doesn't end up at CORE, I think you'll find someone to take the trailer along with the risk hauling the tagless trailer. If you don't want the work of scrapping the thing and you're willing to just watch it leave the premises (even without adding beer), I'm willing to bet you'll find a taker without having to participate in the physical transport nor supplying the technology of the transport.

That's what I was assuming Rex. The guy at work responsible for getting this done can't find anyone willing to do the "not supposed to do". I figured he's just not looking hard enough or doesn't know where to look.

Member #
    Images
    Where is it located? I might take a look at it.
    Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do. Benjamin Franklin
    klaatu barada nikto

Quid Futuis

Member #
    Images
    I know a guy who could probably use it.
    Making progress on the big build.

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hightimes2 View Post
    just use your truck clyde
    Oh sure thing

Member #
    write a legal bill of sale for new owner,then ok to tow away?

It's in north Commerce City. I talked to the shop manager this morning and apparently another guy in the company like myself got tired of hearing that it couldn't be done and decided to take matters into his own hands. He has a buddy that wants it and is supposed to be picking it up soon. If that falls through for any reason I'll let you guys know. I'm sure someone here would take it.

My co-worker's contact came through and the trailer got hauled away this afternoon. Thanks for all the advice, you guys rock as usual.

FWIW - I used to go fishing with an elderly neighbor that had a small, comfy fishing cabin he'd made out of the box off a large delivery truck (with a couple of small additions tacked on). I also visited a small bar once in Michigan that was made from an old RR boxcar. Yankee ingenuity can go a long ways.
    1956 CJ5
    Stored indoors for last 30 years :D , under restoration.

try calling rocky mountain recycling. they sometimes pick stuff up

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    My co-worker's contact came through and the trailer got hauled away this afternoon. Thanks for all the advice, you guys rock as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpiggie View Post
    try calling rocky mountain recycling. they sometimes pick stuff up
    Late to the party?

Member #
    even though it's gone...

"will it blend?"
    04 LWB LJ 4.0L Auto 2.5" OME lift 1" body lift 32" tires
    91 SWB MJ 4.0L AX-15 4:1NP-231 D30 D44a 6" tomken 32" KM2's
    01 Xterra, grocery getter
    I'm A Man...I Can Change...If I have to...I Guess.

Member #
    Could have taken it up to left hand shooting range.
    Jim
    03 TJ auto, 4" Mixed lift, 33 BFG KM2's, D44 locked/D30, Warn x8000i and some other junk

Member #
    10 pounds of beef is not bulk

Member #
    Id hit it and it will only fly if the treadmill is going in reverse...

Quote Originally Posted by al24 View Post
    Late to the party?
    yup, but someone else may need to know sometime.