Elephant Hill - Pic's Added

Headed south this morning to the Needles District of Canyonlands NP. I love this trip, first area I explored in the Moab area way back in 1984.

I was a pretty good day, had everything from sun to rain and sleet. Mostly the sun was shining, thankfully.

Did Elephant Hill over to SOB Hill, then hiked the Joint Trail into Chesler Park, this is one of my favorite hikes. Continued on the the Confluence Overlook, it just finished raining when I got to the overlook. It was great with the sound of water running down the rocks behind me. Drove out and headed back to Moab.

Made for a long day, but was well worth it. No pictures, that has to wait until I get back home.
    Last edited by shotgunchris; March 17th, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
    95 XJ - 3.5" RE Superflex, ACOS, RC Drop Brackets, 10.5x33" BFG TA's, 4.10's, Dana 44 Rear w/Detroit, Spartan front, 4:1 T-case.
    83 Toy - 4" AllPro Fronts, Pro-Comp Rears & 1" shackle lift, 5:29's, Spool Rear, Detroit Front, Home built flatbed, Dual 2.28 cases, 35" KM2's.

Member #
    Images
    The first time I ever went to moab, I wasn't even old enough to drive. My dad took me on this trail and we saw everything that Elephant hill had to offer. Being my first moab/ Utah trail, it is always going to be one of my fav's.
    do your part and recycle, I'm pickling squirrels!

Same here. I'm pretty sure Elephant Hill was the first trail I ever drove on for any appreciable distance. We used (and still occasionally will) take Lockhart Basin way out of Moab, stop at the swimming hole towards the end, get a burger at the gas station way out in the middle of nowhere (needles?), then run Elephant Hill and be back in town for a late dinner. It's a long day, but usually we have family from overseas and it blows their minds.
    "The Jalapeno" '93 ZJ that occasionally gets some of my attention http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=5024
    CSU BigWheels club: http://csubigwheels.forumotion.net/

Grand Junction, Co Orientation: SNOW LOVER
    Member #
    Images
    EH is my favorite trail over there..

I've only done it once. We took wifeys FS bronco and that was in Feb 2001. Hadn't gone back because the didn't allow dogs along..
    02 WJ 4" lift. It's the wife's, I'm not allowed to mess with it.

I never finish anyth

Member #
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideTireZJ View Post
    Same here. I'm pretty sure Elephant Hill was the first trail I ever drove on for any appreciable distance. We used (and still occasionally will) take Lockhart Basin way out of Moab, stop at the swimming hole towards the end, get a burger at the gas station way out in the middle of nowhere (needles?), then run Elephant Hill and be back in town for a late dinner. It's a long day, but usually we have family from overseas and it blows their minds.
    Yeah, I remember when gas was 99 cents a gallon and out their at that gas station it was 3.99. We couldn't believe it. I wonder what it cost's for fuel out their now!?!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by comanchecolt View Post
    Yeah, I remember when gas was 99 cents a gallon and out their at that gas station it was 3.99. We couldn't believe it. I wonder what it cost's for fuel out their now!?!
    It was $5/gallon the first of June this past summer. I vomited, and then paid it. It was like $2.50 in Moab at the time.

Elephant hill is a great trail. My parents have slides (yes, slides) of them going up and down Elephant Hill and Bobby's hole in there brand new 1976 K-5 Blazer. Back in the day.
    06 Nissan Titan 4X4 -Off Road
    34" Nitto Terra Grapplers
    3" PRG extended travel coilovers
    Locked rear

After we got my TJ, one of the first trails I drove it on was Elephant Hill (and I was nervous as hell, ha, ha). Can't wait to see the pictures.
    Just a girly little Jeep...

View from the road to Elephant Hill

Elephant Hill

View from the trail west of Elephant Hill

Tight spot headed into Devils Kitchen

Petroglyphs at SOB Hill

SOB Hill, not so bad after they blasted it several years ago

Joint Trail

Chesler Park

Silver Stairs, the weather was getting pretty ugly

Confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers. Weather cleared up here.

One of many little water falls

Looking up the west side of Elephant Hill, this section was the worst, before they basically paved it.

Member #
    Looks cool. Is all of that part of the Elephant Hill trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Okiyota View Post
    Looks cool. Is all of that part of the Elephant Hill trail?
    The Well's Guide does not include the side trip over SOB Hill to the Joint Trail Parking Lot.

I don't think the trip is complete without doing SOB Hill and hiking the Joint Trail into Chesler Park. It adds about 7 miles to the drive and a short 1 hour hike or so. You generally have plenty of time to do this.

Member #
    Awesome, thanks for the info, thats exactly why i was asking. Heading out Friday for Moab and looking to just run easy trails this time and hike/explore some more areas. Are the "side trips" easily found off of Elephant Hill, or marked at all? I've never been on EH and for sure want to see SOB and the Joint Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Okiyota View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info, thats exactly why i was asking. Heading out Friday for Moab and looking to just run easy trails this time and hike/explore some more areas. Are the "side trips" easily found off of Elephant Hill, or marked at all? I've never been on EH and for sure want to see SOB and the Joint Trail.
    Look at this map: http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisi...ad/needles.pdf

When you reach Devils Lane, you take a left to get to SOB Hill (Petroglyphs are just before you get to the hill on your right). 3.1 miles from the turn off onto Devils Lane, there is a short spur trail to the left. This takes you to the Joint Trail Parking area.

The Visitor Center can also guide you, if needed.