Member #

1953 Willys Pickup

I'm new to the forum from Grand Junction. Thought I'd share my project with everyone.

First a little bit about me
    Name: Daniel
    Occupation: Lab technician and owner of Daddy's Car Accessories (a custom interior and performance parts business)
    Daily Driver: 1984 Mazda RX7 and a 1984 Honda Shadow
    Other cars: 2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 1990 Honda CRX (shooting for 500whp), 2003 Honda Civic, 1953 Willys Truck

I bought it from a guy in Kremling who said he'd had it for a few years and never worked on it and wanted to be rid of it. When I looked at the title he had bought it in 1992 haha. I tossed a new battery in it and low and behold she fired up. Its in desperate need of a tune up (as you'd expect after sitting at least 18 years).

1953 Willys Truck
    226 Super Hurricane I6

I have two sets of wheels one set of 15" '52 Willys steelies and a set of 16" '53 Willys steelies. The 15s have a set of Yokohama Geolanders on them to be used for daily driving and 4wheeling while the 16s are going to get a new set of military spec bias plies for shows when it gets to that point.

Rancho RS5000 shocks

Warn Manual Hubs
    before

after

The seat is getting wrapped in new green vinyl and then I will make a new cover that slips over it to protect it.
    before:

In progress:

Member #
    Images
    Man thats one ugly truck,,, I love it. Welcome to the madness...
    Tired of being tired.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
    --Robert Heinlein

PROUD PARENT OF A UNITED STATES MARINE!!! Sleep Well America, My Marine Has Got Your Back... Proud Parent of a Sailor, in the United States Navy.......

Lunatic? just call me the duece

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
    Man thats one ugly truck,,, I love it. Welcome to the madness...
    That's basically the same thing my wife said when I showed it to her!

I got hooked on them as a kid. Here is my Dad's old one

Member #
    Images
    Way cool. I love the old Willys.

Welcome to the site from another 'Junction wheeler.

Member #
    Thanks! I grew up in Ouray so 4wheeling is in my blood!

Cool project! Welcome.
    Just a girly little Jeep...

Member #
    Images
    Love the old Jeeps, how much are you going to restore it?

Member #
    Oh GOD! I looked at that thing and got a horrifying sinking feeling in my stomach.

Don't worry it was only the torture of the last four years of my '61 Wagon rebuild that set me reeling.

Of course its a love/hate relationship....

But enough about me. Nice pickup, and in pretty good shape. Are you going for a restore, or a rebuild, or a rock crawler transformation?

let me know if you have any questions, I can help you with as I just went through some of what you are embarking on.
    "Oh, no.... my beeeeeeer."

"I am much better as a spaz"

Member #
    The plan is somewhat of a two stage deal.

I want to get rid of my RX-7 so once the truck is running again I will drive it when I can't ride my motorcycle.

Then down the road I want to do a rebuild but keep it functional. I will be keeping the original drivetrain (although this has a mystery in itself that I'll explain in a minute), keeping the 6V but things like tires, hubs, shocks and air cleaner won't be original equipment.

so about the engine.... In 1953 the Willys Truck came with a 4-134. in 1954 the 6-226 became an option and in 1955 the 6-226 was standard. Being that the VIN plaque on my truck clearly states that it is a '53, you'd expect to see a 4-134 under the hood. however it actually has a 6-226. So I see two possibly scenarios here. 1) the engine was swapped and the rest of the truck including axles, etc are original 1953. or 2) the body is 1953 and the frame is 1954+. When I get a minute I will check the numbers on the axles, transmission and transfer case to see what they tell me.

Last night I fixed the springs for the seat. Gotta love having a welder! I took pictures but forgot to upload them off the camera.

Member #
    nice pickup, i got one too looks very similar, i do luv them old flat fenders. goodluck
    "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate!"
    He has done much who leaves nothing over till to-morrow.

Member #
    me likey

gotta love the old flatty pick-em-ups

i learned how to drive in one of those, i would love to get my hands on one again
    91 Toyota ex cab 4x4 silver with 5.5in lift, 33's, rear locker, HAM radio, GPS, CB radio, 9000lb winch. New Car Sales Manager at Auto nation GMC Park Meadows

I do everything the voices in my wifes head tell me to do.

Member #
    carb rebuild kit and distributor parts shipped yesterday!

Member #
    Spent a fair amount of time working on the truck over the weekend.

Up to this point she has only cranked over and made one cough to start. I decided my goal this weekend was to finish the seat upholstery and get the truck running.

I started out replacing the distributor cap and was going to do wires but realized my kit was missing some pieces so i took the carb apart and cleaned it. i was going to rebuild it but they sent me the 2 barrel rebuild kit not the 1 barrel. I also took the fuel pump apart and cleaned it and discovered why the truck won't run. One of the rubber diaphrams is completely torn. so i ordered a rebuild kit. Despite the fact that i knew i was getting zero fuel that doesn't stop me from starting it up (thats why the invented pouring gas down the carb) So after 20+ years of sitting in a field, one new battery, distributor cap and spark plugs later, the truck fired up and sat there happily idling while i bottle fed it gas!

I forgot the pictures at home so i'll update with them later!

Member #
    Got the passenger door handle fixed so I don't have to reach in through the vent window anymore

I've started planning out the rest of my interior. I will be stripping down the floor boards and underseat tool boxes and coating them in Hurculiner roll on bed liner. Not only will it make for easy clean up but it will protect the floor. The door panels are getting wrapped in a beige suede while the armrest/handle is getting wrapped in green vinyl that matches the seat.

Groovy old truck! I bet it even smells wierd inside, like old trucks are supposed to smell.
    1956 CJ5
    Stored indoors for last 30 years :D , under restoration.

Member #
    Finally got some new pictures for you guys!

I realized that even though the motor is not the original 4 cylinder (its a 6 cylinder from a '59-64 truck) the carb is still the old 1 barrel carb so i ended up not rebuilding it, just gave it a thorough cleaning.

Random Carb shots

I also took the fuel pump apart to see what I'd find.

The bottom of the bowl:

Yes that is a dead fly

and the culprit for my lack of fuel

And finished pictures of the seat. I won't be installing it until i get the rest of the interior cleaned up.

Random shots of the motor

http://www.daddyscaraccessories.com/

thats a cool rig, i almost had one when i frist got into the wheeling thing. idk if i could cut one of those up. there just too cool and rare
    90 ranger;I couldn't listen in school, I felt I had a different callin But all everybody did was roll their eyes and start yawnin But this is real life and only you is livin through your eyes There are dreamers, those who want it And us, who won't be denied - Violent J (ICP)

Member #
    I was researching production numbers and the '55 my dad had was 1 of 168 4x4 pickups made that year. Mine is one of 12,xxx

Member #
    The fuel pump rebuild parts finally showed up. Looks like I might get to do some wrench turning on her tonight!

Member #
    After a minimum of 18 years sitting unused in a field, new distributor cap and rotor, new spark plugs, new battery, rebuild fuel pump and cleaned carb, my Willys came alive over the weekend!

Member #
    Images
    Nice, looking good

umm sweet & spicy chicken? ????
    Restored 1974 CJ5 with some stuff. Need help to add some more stuff. Any takers?

Member #
    Haha my wifes account

Member #
    Sweet! Throw a milk crate where the seat used to be and drive it to the M&G Sunday!
    "The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'You want a piece of me?'" ? Robin Williams.

Member #
    I would love to bring it out. unfortunately it is rather lacking in the brake department....

I'm switching from a window mount swamp cooler to a roof mount on my house this Saturday but if that goes quick maybe i'll try to get some brakes in the old girl so I can bring her down